Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Demon Stuff

Post by Jabroniville »

DEMON STUFF:
-The book now goes into notes on how to play demons, as if you're expected to make a party out of all these weirdos in Yama Kings territory. Pretty wild. There's options for additional powers, random traits, and more. Oh and apparently all demons get lost in mazes and hate the sound of running water. There are some notes about human communities- it's actually about 1/8 as long as most Rifts books make that kinda stuff. Like it doesn't detail all the shopkeepers and whatever, which is a positive.
Jabroniville

Rifts China 1 Done

Post by Jabroniville »

RIFTS CHINA I SUMMATION:
-This one's a tough one- some of the Greater Demons & Demon Lords in the end are actually somewhat interesting- I can see a campaign or adventure being made around these easily. The honorable duelists who hunt down great heroes, and the blue giants who are wise sages- there's stuff there. There's weak threats and GIANT threats. The main issue is that there's nothing BUT lists of demons in this book- and some are horribly generic or just dull. Demon after demon in the first half is a basic PL 8-10 brawler with nothing unique about them aside from one or two minor traits. Even as you go along there's more or less a huge active "template" at work, with only the later ones differing much in toughness.

Characterization-wise you get more of the same- "Evil people-eater" is horribly common, and most are just nasty, generically-evil creatures. Some of the later things are BRUTALLY over-powered, even for this system, Kevin S. & Eric W. now piling on ATTACKS instead of sheer Mega-Damage. It's actually a bit funny- Kevin used to rail against Power Creep in his own setting, but now instead everything's a pretty low-end damage-dealer (6D6 Mega-Damage is the most powerful thing here, and is only on one build, I think), but the number of attacks skyrockets.

Really, though, this fails to "set the stage", so to speak, as there's little art for anything beyond just pictures of the demons standing there, so you don't get a proper "feel" for how the nations, cities or villages work. Though nobody complained more than me when Kevin shoved 8 tons of detail into meaningless areas, you gotta have SOMETHING, and not a single Yama Kingdom has anything but a snippet of an idea in it. The rest of this is just a Monster Manual.
Jabroniville

Rifts China Two

Post by Jabroniville »

RIFTS WORLD BOOK 25- RIFTS CHINA TWO- HEROES OF THE CELESTIAL COURT (2004):
-So with the largely "Just a List of Demons" book, Rifts China 1, out of the way, here's Rifts China 2- this one detailing "The Heroes of the Celestial Court"... well, essentially just a list of O.C.C.s and magical martial arts powers in the setting. There don't appear to be too many huge organizations or something as grand as a "Celestial Court" would imply, and so instead we have a variety of demon-fighters- both Demon Quellers (like in Rifts Japan), martial artists, and more. There's an "Enlightened Demon" too, for those who want to play a good version of those. And then the last third of the book is devoted to the "Geofront"- another "Super-Powerful Enclave of Lucky Survivors", using Pre-Rifts tech in a hidden cave system that lets them investigate the rest of the country safely.

The art seems... fine. Like the last book, there's nothing outstanding, nor not that much that's truly horrible. As Rifts is chiefly a great setting for art and cool ideas, just being "mediocre" is really disappointing, though- I either like Chuck Walton-tier "Great finds" or just absolute GARBAGE, and this is more generic, boring "Some guy who could have any sorta powers" in a tiny picture. The sheer lists of Martial Arts Styles and Martial Arts Powers also strikes me as a bit boring, but should hopefully lead to some granularity among the setting, letting you pick and choose.

There was clearly supposed to be a Rifts China 3 at some point, but one never materialized.
JDRook

Re: Rifts China Two

Post by JDRook »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:50 pm RIFTS WORLD BOOK 25- RIFTS CHINA TWO- HEROES OF THE CELESTIAL COURT (2004):
... There's an "Enlightened Demon" too, for those who want to play a good version of those...
I assume that's based on the Reformed Demon RCC they introduced in Mystic China (Wujcik, 1995) as a supplement for Ninjas and Superspies. I liked the basic concept, although the progression of the Demon is a little weird; your path is basically "enforced good" or the Yama Kings will come drag you back to hell, and while you do get a few new abilities as you gain levels, your ultimate goal is to be fully human, so at level 10 you lose ALL your demon abilities, martial arts and skills and are basically born anew as a 1st level human with only a hazy memory of their past life. It's an interesting idea but of course absolutely counter to the standard accumulation of experience/power that's kind of expected of most mainstream RPGs, so I'd be curious how popular a choice that was, or possibly what GMs did to "fix" it.
The sheer lists of Martial Arts Styles and Martial Arts Powers also strikes me as a bit boring, but should hopefully lead to some granularity among the setting, letting you pick and choose.
Again, I expect quite a bit is taken directly from Ninjas & Superspies and Mystic China. Let me know if they use Mudra.
Jabroniville

Chinese Martial Arts

Post by Jabroniville »

CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS:
* Unusually, the book offers you SEVERAL new Martial Arts styles to choose from, some of which are quite potent.

Tai Chi:
Level 1: FIGHTING 5, Ranged Attack 5.
Level 2: FIGHTING +1, Ranged Attack +1 (6 total).
Level 3: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (8 total).
Level 4:
Level 5: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (10 total).
Level 6: Improved Trip.
Level 7: FIGHTING +1, Ranged Attack +1 (11 total).
Level 8:
Level 9: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (13 total), Dodge +1.
Level 10: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (15 total).
Level 11: Parry +1 (16 total).
Level 12: Close Attack +1, Ranged Attack +1 (16 total), Dodge +1.
Level 13:
Level 14: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (18 total).
Level 15:

-It actually calls this out as an excercise style, but it's here nonetheless. You gain accuracy shockingly fast here (by Level 3 you're almost 2 PLs higher than you were at the start), but end up with only +1 over the baseline fighting styles in terms of accuracy.

Dog Boxing Kung Fu:
Level 1: FIGHTING 7, Close Attack +2 (9 total), Ranged Attack 9.
Level 2: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (11 total).
Level 3: 1 Body-Hardening Excercise
Level 4: Close & Ranged Attack +1 (12 total), Improved Critical.
Level 5: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (14 total).
Level 6: "Wounded Paw & Whine" with either +1 to hit or +2 to defenses while faking injury.
Level 7:
Level 8: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (16 total), Dodge +1.
Level 9: "Force Bark" Move Object 5 (Cone Area, Outwards Only).
Level 10: Close & Ranged Attack +1 (17 total)
Level 11: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (19 total), Dodge +1.
Level 12:
Level 13:
Level 14: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (21 total).

-A deliberately stupid style that resembles crawling around on all fours and fighting like a dog. You gain in accuracy INSANELY fast, to the point of being top-tier by even the early levels. Starting out with an extra attack to begin with and raising them quickly thereafter, ending up being one of the best fighters ever.

Drunken Boxing Style Kung Fu:
Level 1: FIGHTING 5, Improved Critical.
Level 2: Dodge +2.
Level 3: Close & Ranged Attack +1 (6 total).
Level 4: Fake Drunkenness.
Level 5: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (8 total).
Level 6: Ranged & Close Attack +1 (9 total).
Level 7: Improved Disarm.
Level 8: Projectile Vomit.
Level 9: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (10 total).
Level 10:
Level 11: Sleight of Hand +8.
Level 12: Close & Ranged Attack +1 (11 total), Dodge +1.
Level 13:
Level 14: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2 (13 total).

-The "faking drunkenness to fight better" style which can trick others into underestimating you. A garbage system in terms of bonuses, though.

Eighteen Weapons Kung Fu:
Level 1: FIGHTING 8, Ranged Attack 8. Can use almost all weapons. Intimidation with a no-damage strike that "snaps".
Level 2: Improved Critical.
Level 3: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (10 total).
Level 4: Ranged & Close Attack 1 (11 total).
Level 5: Parry & Dodge +1.
Level 6: +1 damage w/ any weapon.
Level 7: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (13 total).
Level 8: Improved Disarm.
Level 9: Ranged & Close Attack +1 (14 total).
Level 10:
Level 11: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (16 total).
Level 12:
Level 13: Close & Ranged Attack +1 (17 total).
Level 14: Improved Critical.
Level 15: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (19 total).

-Another high-end one, this focuses on tons of weapon proficiencies. A big deal in Rifts, but M&M lacks the rules for it unless you force them in.

White Jade Fan Kung Fu:
Level 1: FIGHTING 1, Close Combat (Fan) +2 (3 total).
Level 2: Improved Disarm.
Level 3:
Level 4: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (5 total).
Level 5: Improved Critical.
Level 6: "Jade Fan Doubling" (Split).
Level 7: Damage +1, Parry +2
Level 8: Improved Critical +2.
Level 9:
Level 10: Defensive Attack.
Level 11: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (7 total).
Level 12:
Level 13: Improved Critical +1 (4 total).
Level 14:
Level 15: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (9 total).

-A weird style based around using a fan. A person of culture should ALWAYS travel with one, so you're penalized for not. This one REALLY sucks in terms of bonuses, though, unless you like all the Improved Critical you get. One fewer attack to start and you gain bonuses slowly!

Monkey Style Kung Fu:
Level 1: FIGHTING 5, Parry & Dodge +2. 1 Monkey Move.
Level 2:
Level 3: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (7 total).
Level 4: 1 Monkey Move.
Level 5: Defenses +1.
Level 6: 1 Monkey Move.
Level 7: Improved Critical.
Level 8: 1 Monkey Move.
Level 9: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (9 total).
Level 10: Improved Critical.
Level 11: 1 Monkey Move.
Level 12: Defenses +1.
Level 13: 1 Monkey Move.
Level 14: Improved Critical.
Level 15:

Monkey Moves: Blind Monkey (+5 to hit if the opponent is fooled into thinking they're blind), One-Handed (Ambidexterity), Monkey Shriek (Area Stun), Proud Monkey (+2 to hit & parry, but loses attacks... so nothing in M&M terms, lol), Taunting Monkey (person must attack the fighter, dropping attacks- Affliction- while the fighter is +5 Initiative), Wood Monkey (fakes defeat; +6 to strike if opponent "springs the trap")
-Actually a pretty sucky one in terms of bonuses, but you gain "Monkey Moves" and a lot of defensive bonuses (+13 by Level 13).

Shao-Lin Kung Fu:
Level 1: FIGHTING 8, Close Attack +1, Dodge +1, +1 damage.
Level 2: Close Attack +1 (10 total), Improved Critical.
Level 3: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (12 total).
Level 4: Body Hardening Excercise (ST +1).
Level 5: Improved Critical.
Level 6: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +1 (13 total), Dodge +1.
Level 7: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (15 total).
Level 8:
Level 9: ST +1.
Level 10: Improved Critical.
Level 11: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (17 total).
Level 12: FIGHTING +1, Close Attack +1 (19 total), Dodge +1.
Level 13: STA +1.
Level 14: Damage +1, Close Attack +1 (20 total).
Level 15: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2 (22 total).

-Said to be the most popular style in China, and probably for good reason, as it's direct and good with bonuses, and you don't have to fight like a moron.
Davies

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Yakshas! Demon Lords! Mo-Lo!)

Post by Davies »

Yep, most of these are either from Ninjas & Superspies or Mystic China -- the styles at least, I don't have R:China 2 to compare the stats against.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
JDRook

Re: Chinese Martial Arts

Post by JDRook »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:06 pm CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS:
* Unusually, the book offers you SEVERAL new Martial Arts styles to choose from, some of which are quite potent.
Managed to take a look at it myself, and yes, those are all taken from N&S and Mystic China, which together have around 30 distinct martial arts, so I'm actually impressed they kept it to only 7 for this book.

Comment about your conversion method: I had been equating attacks per melee as an opportunity to do more damage and therefore just made it a damage bonus, although that made my builds feel too tanky. It looks like you turn ApM into Attack bonus 1:2 except the first one. I think your concept makes more sense, since high ApM doesn't necessarily mean more damage, it means more options, and high Attack bonus can be turned into a lot of different options with tradeoffs and other manuevers. +2 Attack for every one seems a little strong, especially since these later books just pile on the attacks, but 1:1 also feels too weak, so I guess it's an imperfect system that's probably going to depend more on preference than math.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

JDRook wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:40 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:06 pm CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS:
Managed to take a look at it myself, and yes, those are all taken from N&S and Mystic China, which together have around 30 distinct martial arts, so I'm actually impressed they kept it to only 7 for this book.

Comment about your conversion method: I had been equating attacks per melee as an opportunity to do more damage and therefore just made it a damage bonus, although that made my builds feel too tanky. It looks like you turn ApM into Attack bonus 1:2 except the first one. I think your concept makes more sense, since high ApM doesn't necessarily mean more damage, it means more options, and high Attack bonus can be turned into a lot of different options with tradeoffs and other manuevers. +2 Attack for every one seems a little strong, especially since these later books just pile on the attacks, but 1:1 also feels too weak, so I guess it's an imperfect system that's probably going to depend more on preference than math.
Yeah, I really didn't know how to do the "Attacks Per Round" otherwise. +2 attacks seemed like the easiest way to go about it, though it left Level 15 guys with +22-ish attack scores. But given how that's the top-tier M&M uses, maybe it makes sense? Rifts is horribly overpowered anyways.
EternalPhoenix

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Mo-Lo! Rifts China 2- Martial Arts!)

Post by EternalPhoenix »

What I know about Rifts all comes from this thread, but did you consider a 1:1.5 ratio? 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, etc you get it? You wouldn't top out quite so high. I'm not asking you to change it now. Dear god that'd be a lot of work.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
The Phoenixverse 3E Conversions
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:13 amYeah, I really didn't know how to do the "Attacks Per Round" otherwise. +2 attacks seemed like the easiest way to go about it, though it left Level 15 guys with +22-ish attack scores. But given how that's the top-tier M&M uses, maybe it makes sense? Rifts is horribly overpowered anyways.
I did go back and look at some of your more analytical posts about the basic HTHs and comparing them on a generic Headhunter and it's definitely selling me on the simplicity and relative accuracy of +2 Attack/ApM.
EternalPhoenix wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:17 amWhat I know about Rifts all comes from this thread, but did you consider a 1:1.5 ratio? 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, etc you get it? You wouldn't top out quite so high. I'm not asking you to change it now. Dear god that'd be a lot of work.
I was thinking the same thing, although I'm already thinking about converting my Nightbane stuff and just trying to figure out which I prefer before I go back and change things. I can't even imagine redoing all of Jab's stuff - I'd rather train an AI to do it for me first.

UPDATE: Yeah, I've changed my mind. I think 1:1 is fine since every attack is turning into close and ranged bonuses for Attack and Defense. An ordinary HTH Basic Character at Level 1 without any bonus or boxing has 4 ApM allowing +4 in all their combat rolls; seems reasonable. A 15th level Shao-Lin Master with no outside bonuses still has 8 attacks and +7 Strike, for a +15 Attack bonus; still okay. The stacking bonuses from high Attributes, OCCs and RCCs and magic equipment and whatnot will pump that stuff up to OP in no time for those that need it.
Jabroniville

Martial Arts Powers

Post by Jabroniville »

MARTIAL ARTS POWERS:
* Now we get a section devoted to a variety of powers. This, like… COMBINES with the prior section, netting you powers piled into your build that some O.C.C.s use.
Jabroniville

Ba Gua Kung Fu

Post by Jabroniville »

Ba Gua Kung Fu:
Level 1: "Create Ba Gua Map" Constructs an invisible "map" (always 6 feet in diameter) for 4 rounds, allowing him omni-sight- Radius Vision, See the Invisible, Uncanny Dodge, Danger Sense. +2 to Parry, +4 to Dodge. Unravels if he steps off. Can fuel his own I.S.P., and has M.D.C. equal to the I.S.P. used to construct it.
Level 2: Double I.S.P.
Level 3: "Eight Pillars of Darkness" Concealment (All Vision, 15ft. Area).
Level 4: Weaves the map in 2 rounds.
Level 5: "Illusion" Vast Illusions are seen by anyone who enters the Map.
Level 6: +100 I.S.P. in Map.
Level 7: "The Voice" May speak to anyone within the Map's Illusions.
Level 8: Weaves the map in 1 round.
Level 9: "Protection" All Magical & Psionic Attacks are dissipated within the Map.
Level 10: "Combat the Illusion" not really a new effect, I think? It just states you can only be damaged within the Map by its own user.
Level 11: "Memory" The Illusions are now automatically created in a "default" setting.
Level 12: "Destruction" Anyone stepping into the map is hit by 10% of the I.S.P. remaining on the Map in M.D.C. (ie. you take 15 M.D. if walking into a map with 150 I.S.P. left).
Level 13: +200 I.S.P. in Map.
Level 14: "Illusory Peoples" now the Illusion has people in it.
Level 15: "Independent Map" the Map will now sit in a spot permanently so long as it has I.S.P. (such as on a Ley Line).

-This one is super-weird. You create an invisible "map" that lets you defend against attacks so long as you stay there.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, this one actually annoyed me because Baguazhang is a martial art I'm actually familiar with, and it lends itself incredibly well to a cinematic martial art. The whole idea is using circular movements to control your opponent, the whole point of walking the circle is so that you're comfortable attacking or defending from any angle, and that you know how best to fight based on your position. It's a system that focuses very much on mobility and awareness, along with a lot of internal martial arts philosophy. A solid example of the fighting style is the final fight of Jet Li's "The One", where Gabe and Yu-Law are fighting and Gabe initially tries to beat Yu-Law at his own game, meeting force with force and attacking directly, and getting his ass kicked. Then he switches to Baguazhang, evades Yu-Law's attacks, hits him from unexpected angles and throws him all over the place with the power the circular motions build.

It was also the style that Airbending was based off of in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

The Rifts martial art actually gets the ENTIRE CONCEPT wrong with the idea of you building this map that you stand inside and then CAN'T LEAVE, with the goal of keeping the enemy OUT of the circle. The whole point is that the enemy is in the CENTER of the circle and you walk around them, not that the circle is some kind of safe space that you keep everyone out of.

I remember how I was flipping through the book and saw Baguazhang as a Rifts Super-Martial Art and thought "Oh wow, this is going to be awesome!" Then I read it and thought "Oh . . . . wow . . . it really isn't."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Crane Style Kung Fu

Post by Jabroniville »

Bok Pai (Crane Style) Kung Fu:
Level 1: "Crane Fist" Damage +1. "Crane Style Stance" turns S.D.C. & Hit Points into M.D.C. in the stance. Your attacks now do +7-8 damage. FIGHTING +2, Parry +2, Dodge +2.
Level 2: "Beak Fist" Chi Blast 11 (!), 25 feet.
Level 3: Double I.S.P.
Level 4: ST & STA +1.
Level 5: "Gathering Energy Stance". The Karate Kid one. Cannot initiate an attack, but is +1 to defenses and counterstrike. Similar rules to the first Stance.
Level 6: Can move without penalty with legs tied together.
Level 7: "Sweeping Enemies Stance" Unarmed attacks do +11-13 damage (!). FIGHTING +4, Close Attack +2 & Ranged Attack +4. Similar rules to the first Stance.
Level 8: Speed 1.
Level 9: Flight 6.
Level 10: Extra I.S.P. Beak Fist at 50 feet.
Level 11: "Serpent Destruction Stance" Damage +14 to Dragons, Reptiles & Worms! Accuracy is -4, but they're +3 to dodge against them.
Level 12: Speed +1.
Level 13: Turns into Immortal White Crane (ST 10, INT 10, AWA 10, PRE 10, Flight 6, Toughness +15, Damage +12-13, Heals all injuries when character changes back).
Level 14: I.S.P. bonus.
Level 15: Strength becomes Supernatural (ie. baseline +6-8 damage).

-An incredibly powerful school that turns basic fighters in the "Crane Stance" into M.D.C. warriors, albeit at low levels... at first. By the mid-levels your unarmed damage equals all the best guns in the game! There's little reason to drop these stances, naturally.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The Crane style was much more in line of what I was expecting Rifts martial arts to look like. From what I remember, Crane was easily the best pick of the bunch, and had what you'd really expect from this kind of setting, such as the different stances, incredible power, limited flight, etc.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.