Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Martian Manhunter

Post by Jabroniville »

THE MARTIAN MANHUNTER (J'onn J'onzz, aka John Jones)
Created By:
Joseph Samachson & Joe Certa
First Appearance: Detective Comics #225 (Nov. 1955)
Role: The Guy Who Gets His Ass Kicked so Superman Can Look Good, Grab-Bag of Powers Guy
Group Affiliations: The Justice League of America, The Outsiders, Stormwatch
PL 13 (346)
STRENGTH
15 STAMINA 15 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+11)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+10)
Expertise (Streetwise) 4 (+10)
Insight 3 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Investigation 8 (+13)
Perception 8 (+13)
Stealth 5 (+8)
Technology 4 (+10)
Vehicles 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit (Cipher- Multiple Identities), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Jack-Of-All-Trades, Languages 3 (Any He Needs), Power Attack, Set-Up, Ranged Attack 8, Takedown, Teamwork

Powers:
Power-Lifting 5 (25,000 tons) [5]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]
Flight 14 (32,000 mph) [28]
Quickness 6 [6]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [5]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
"Martian Senses" Senses 4 (Extended Vision 2, Vision Penetrates Concealment) [6]
"Telepathy" Communication (Mental) 4 (Extras: Area, Selective) [24]
Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]

Mind-Reading 12 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Cumulative, Effortless) (49) -- [59]
  • Dynamic AE: "Martian Vision" Blast 14 (Feats: Dynamic) (29)
  • Dynamic AE: Shapeshift 2 (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: "Intangibility" Insubstantial 4 (Feats: Selective, Dynamic) (22)
  • Dynamic AE: "Invisibility" Concealment 4 (Visuals) (Feats: Dynamic) (9)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mind Over Matter" Move Object 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (21)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Martian Vision +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Mind-Reading -- (+12 Mind-Reading, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +15 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +15, Will +11

Complications:
Weakness (Fire)- Even proximity to fire has a huge negative effect on J'onn psychologically, but touching it does extra damage- he'll take more damage than an un-powered human from it. Sometimes. Things change A LOT- sometimes it's more psychological, and other times it's basically this all-consuming Death Blast.
Responsibility (Martian Stuff)- J'onn went from one of many Martians to the last Martian to one of many Martians again- he often has to deal with evil members of his race (who are really coming off like a bunch of dicks sometimes).
Enemy (Ma'alefa'ak)- J'onn apparently has an evil brother who disguised as him for a time.

Total: Abilities: 112 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 170 / Defenses: 17 (346)

J'onn J'onzz- The Iconic Leaguer:
-The Martian Manhunter's had an odd run- going from an early science fiction-style character to a central Justice Leaguer, to a forgotten hero, to a guy without a book so HE of all people became "The Iconic Justice Leaguer". His various books over the years all inevitably lead to cancellation, but a combination of traits (like his "lost alien" nature, distinctive appearance, and immense power level) saw him fit into the League well enough that he's been an ongoing DC character almost since his debut.

-J'onn J'onzz made his debut BEFORE the Silver Age truly began, in 1955, as a back-up story in a Detective Comics issue, done by two creators I've never heard of before. He is an unfortunate Martian who is pulled away from his homeworld, and unable to return home- he decides to fight crime as a detective, waiting for Martian technology to advance enough to allow him to return. The act proves popular enough to show up repeatedly, gaining "Silver Age Superman"-like powers that expand with each issue (gaining, in order, precognitive abilities, telepathy & flight, "atomic vision", and super-hearing)- pretty soon, his Grab-Bag of Powers is one of the biggest in all of comics! He meets many other Martian characters, and operates as a superhero by joining the Justice League of American in its debut (replacing Superman, as DC was afraid of... hee hee... OVER-EXPOSING THEIR POPULAR CHARACTERS... can you imagine if they had that issue today?).

J'onn's Silver Age Adventures:
-J'onn lasts a while on JLA, but once Superman & Batman are officially OK'd to join, his appearances dwindle, and he's gone by 1968- Horsenhero has mentioned that fans were often asking "why is this green, bald guy is on the team?"- his own act wasn't really that popular (he was a back-up in House of Mystery by this point, facing the demonic Idol Head of Diabolu and a crime cartel called VULTURE until it was cancelled), and he wasn't a major character at DC. The fact that this was a dark period for DC's sales post-"Batman's TV Show Being Cancelled" didn't help, and soon his solo feature was gone- his people finally came for him, and he left to become a leader on New Mars. Yes, really. Personally I look back at this version and find it weird that this doughy-looking bald guy with thick, dark eyebrows is there- he just looks like a normal dude painted green.

-J'onn would reappear several times over the next fifteen years, usually in back-up stories and supporting roles, something that's bizarre to me as a fan, because I came into DC with him being treated like some BIG DOG character that was very integral to their universe. In reality, he was a minor act for years, and treated as such! The whole "J'onn is super-duper important and everyone looks up to him" thing was a LATER addition, essentially manufactured to make him a bigger deal! Can't say I blame them, though- it's always good to have a Top-Tier Powerhouse get taken seriously. The Martian Manhunter would FINALLY make his DC return in 1984, and join the struggling JLA book three years later, being a central member of the Giffen/DeMatteis "Bwa-hahahahahah!" League as a semi-serious figure to act as a permanent "straight man".

-DeMatteis would actually COMPLETELY REVAMP J'onn, retconning his whole origin so that the doctor who brought him to Earth didn't die, his natural appearance was more alien-looking, and oh- he was THE LAST MARTIAN ALIVE, as he'd been pulled through time as well as space. Always funny how DC is perfectly-willing to rewrite someone's entire history and purpose thirty years after their introduction like that. Because of DeMatteis' hard work, J'onn pretty much officially became "The JLA Guy"- ALWAYS joining some incarnation of that group. Grant Morrison would utilize J'onn's many powers as a big part of his JLA run as well (introducing the concept of "White Martians", an asshole version of J'onn's green kind), and John Ostrander would write one of those "well-thought-of but low-selling" solo books in 1998. Here, we'd discover that J'onn was a big hero in the Southern Hemisphere, maintaining numerous secret identities.

DC Gets Bored of J'onn:
-However, life soon starts to suck for the guy- by being the most powerful person on the League who ISN'T Superman, he ends up in the position of getting his green ass spanked by anyone coming down the pike who wants to FIGHT Superman, in order to show off how awesome and strong Kal-El is (basically, "Wonder Man Syndrome"). And as the highest-tier guy around without his own book (it got cancelled pretty quickly), he's ALSO prone to getting rapid-fire storyline developments, like bouncing around an Oustiders comic for two seconds, leaving Earth, or being killed for a while by something stupid in Final Crisis. He temporarily became a "Burning Martian"- a version of his race from before the Guardians of the Universe modified them to protect the rest of the galaxy, but this was quickly forgotten (as was his then-immunity to fire aside from "Flames of Passion"). He got a "Kid Version" with Miss Martian... who promptly became more popular than him, and now shows up in ancillary materials.

The Martian Manhunter's Numerous Powers:
-J'onn, as expected, is expensive as balls, owing to a huge grab-bag of random-ass powers (X-Ray Vision? Telepathy? SHAPESHIFTING? Intangibility? INVISIBILITY?)- I've heard fans of his whine openly about how he should be EASILY the most-feared member of the League, and even Superman should be afraid of him, but despite all his ability, he never actually DOES kick anyone's ass super-hard with it. He's basically an "All Talk" Powerhouse with vast power, but few accomplishments. The fact that he has one of the most easily-exploited weaknesses in comics doesn't help (Batman once effortlessly took out a half-dozen guys of equal power with a single lighter).

-Determining which powers are inside an Array and which aren't isn't easy (DCA's build is different from my own, for example), but I think it's pretty clear that Martians' Morphing & Mental Communication are outside of it (J'onn ROUTINELY keeps the entire JLA linked telepathically while doing other stuff, and the Hyperclan maintained their fake shapes easily while using other powers). Inside the Array are Invisibility, Intangibility and Shapeshift, making him basically entirely-impossible to trap or keep down (Shapeshift allows side tricks like Elongation or extra Intimidation owing to scary shapes). There's also whatever the hell "Martian Vision" is (have they ever explained that?), which is a trick he occasionally busts out, but never seems overly-powerful (I don't think I've ever seen him actually TAKE OUT a villain with it, though the Hyperclan could). He can forcibly Read Minds as well.

-J'onn also maintains the Flying Brick array, at PL 13 levels equal to Power Girl, putting him just under Wonder Woman (and two below Superman). Pushing himself (ie. Power Stunts), he can use Mind Control, alter memories, induce sleep, Mind Blasts, and other things (ie. a bunch of stuff writers showed him doing, but nobody else remembered).
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Captain Atom! Dr. Light! Martian Manhunter!)

Post by Ares »

Martian Vision tends to fluctuate a bit. Its mostly heat vision and often explained as a kind of pyrokinesis, which leads to a weird situation where he shoots things that can create something he's vulnerable too. It'd be like if Superman's eye beams were a radiation that had a 50/50 chance of turning something to Kryptonite.

One version I liked was that J'onn's eye beams were an expression of the telekinetic or psychokinetic ability he uses to fly. So it was less heat and more kinetic force.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

As for J'onn, a big problem for him and other top tier heroes in DC is that Superman, Batman and to a lesser extent Wonder Woman all have a case of Golden Child Syndrome, so much so that Clark, Bruce and Diana are rarely just "a part of the team" and more "the main focus of the team".

Some writers genuinely like J'onn and feel that he should be a top tier powerhouse, but a lot of times the Superman fans will happily job J'onn out to make Clark look better. Not helped by J'onn having so many powers at a high level that he can be difficult to challenge without a nerf.

My own take would be to give J'onn a bit of the Ultra Boy treatment. Basically, J'onn's abilities are all a combination of his mental energies and his control of his body, but he can only do so much at once. He can give himself Kryptonian class strength, toughness and speed, but at the cost of not being able to use his shapeshifting, density control, and severely limit his telepathic abilities. He can also shapeshift like Plastic Man, but that level of flexibility limits how strong he can get, and again, limits his telepathic abilities. In essence, J'onn is at his most versatile when he is less powerful, and at his most powerful in a given area at the cost of his versatility. It easily explains away his various showings and can be used to keep him from being too overwhelming while leaving him plenty of potential for power.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

White Martians were a thing WAY before Morrison, with an old enemy named Commander Blanx showing up in a JLA annual in (I think) the early 1980s to battle J'onn. There are also apparently YELLOW Martians, but these have not popped up anywhere since the early Silver Age.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:09 pm White Martians were a thing WAY before Morrison, with an old enemy named Commander Blanx showing up in a JLA annual in (I think) the early 1980s to battle J'onn. There are also apparently YELLOW Martians, but these have not popped up anywhere since the early Silver Age.
That's some John Carter of Mars influence slipping in.

Ken

Post by Ken »

greycrusader wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:09 pm White Martians were a thing WAY before Morrison, with an old enemy named Commander Blanx showing up in a JLA annual in (I think) the early 1980s to battle J'onn. There are also apparently YELLOW Martians, but these have not popped up anywhere since the early Silver Age.
Commander Benn Blanx debuted in Justice League of America #71 (5/69), the same story that introduced white Martians and their enmity with the green Martians, and the story that had J'onn leave Earth for Mars II in the Cygnus star system. He died in combat with J'onn.

He showed up in Justice League of America #144, in a flashback tale set in February 1959, when Blanx and some other white Martians had tracked down J'onn on Earth and were trying to eliminate him. In the process they ran into Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Aquaman, Flash, Rex the Wonder Dog, and Hal Jordan (who was not yet a Green Lantern), so things didn't go well for the white Martians. The heroes discussed the possibility of forming a regular team, which they did six months later after the Appellaxians invaded.

On the subject of "Martian Vision"....
There was one early story where John (this was when he stayed in his human disguise all the time) used his "atom vision" to heat up an armored car. And for a long time that was it.

In the story where Blanx and his men were on Earth, they were using microwave pistols, since those would cause heat and fire. Hardly something they would need if they had heat vision.

The next place I've found J'onn's eyebeams used as a weapon was in Justice League of America #200 where he used them to slice open a water pipe on the JLA satellite to put out the fire that Firestorm had started to try to stop J'onn from stealing the Appellax meteor the JLA had in their trophy room.

They vanished again, not being seen during the JLI era. Next time he used them, he was disguised as Bloodwynd.
Last edited by Ken on Mon May 23, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Other thoughts

I honestly prefer J'onn's original look over the more complicated outfits people tend to give him. Honestly, it's a pretty decent superhero-ized/spandexized adaptation of the kind of stuff you'd see the folks in the Barsoom series wear. All of the more recent black outfits and what not just scream 'trying too hard'.

Bloodwynd is a decent concept for the most part, has a solid look, a backstory with some potential for exploration and there could be plenty done to make him stand out as a mystic hero. Unfortunately, his NAME is just so God damned 90s that I can't take it seriously. It's like what someone at Image would have come up with when trying to design the Red Tornado. He's such a blank slated that he's easy enough to make into almost anything. Heck, I'd even go with the idea that the demon in the gem (Rott?) was the one that came up with the Bloodwynd name and that Bloodwynd himself never liked it, but answered to it because that's what everyone else knew him by. Because originally, he had not intention of being a superhero, the outfit was Rott's influence done deliberately to attract superhuman attention so he could find a power source. Bloodwynd vanished because he had no interest in superheroics initially, but he spends time in reflection and decides that using the powers that have such a dark source for good would be a good way ot keep Rott contained. So maybe he comes up with a slightly different look and name, but is not a superheroic sorcerer.

Dr. Light II / Kimiyo suffered a bad case of 'Back to Basics Syndrome' when a big part of her characterization was that she'd learned to be less arrogant after Supergirl's sacrifice. They did go overboard by having her act overly nice and submissive after, but when they made her go back to full bitch status, they seemed to miss the point of her original storyline. I could have seen a nice middle ground where she still has a tendency towards arrogance, but catches herself and tries to be a better person. Someone who is trying to correct her issues but her bad side can still come out during moments of frustration.

The fact that she took Dr. Light's name and outfit is just baffling. I've said for years that she honestly should have honored the short-lived superhero Sunburst, who was the one who she spoke to after Supergirl's death and who died himself during the Crisis event. It would feel more right to honor his legacy than frickin Dr. Light's.

Honestly, change up some of the colors up to her original outfit, and it works just fine as a Sunburst homage.

At least then she's honoring the name of a hero.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, the "Doctor Light" thing is weirdly inexplicable (a hero taking the name of a villain?) and I can only assume that Wolfman & Perez REALLY LIKED the Dr. Light name and design, but thought the original guy was stupid. Like, their Teen Titans had Arthur Light build a supervillain team via a newspaper ad, then immediately had Psimon take it over and turn Light into a whiny patsy, and other books kept going with that.

So like, "Hey let's make a cool Doctor Light" mixed with "Well let's make them a superhero so they'll show up a bit more as a recurring character"? I'm not sure. Have either Wolfman or Perez detailed why they went that route?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:42 pmImage

Honestly, change up some of the colors up to her original outfit, and it works just fine as a Sunburst homage.

At least then she's honoring the name of a hero.
#1) That looks great, and this is a great idea.

#2) DC didn't want to discuss Sunburst. He was from a Superboy (Kal-El) story, and that just wouldn't do.

#3) I think Marv had it in for Arthur Light.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

It is kind of weird that outside of Katana, the three most prominent Japanese heroes (Dr. Light II, Sunburst and Rising Sun) were all solar/light based blasters. At least they weren't all martial artists as well.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:01 am #1) That looks great, and this is a great idea.
Thanks! I've had that thought for years, and if Kimi is going to be a legacy hero, at least make her a legacy to someone who actually mattered to her.
#2) DC didn't want to discuss Sunburst. He was from a Superboy (Kal-El) story, and that just wouldn't do.
According to his writeups.org page, Sunburst was still considered part of continuity, but instead of Superboy stepping it, it was Rising Sun.

Again, super easy fix: Make it the Martian Manhunter who helped out Sunburst instead. Similar powers, the fire weakness explains why Sunburst (a powerful mid-tier hero) could give J'onn a hard time, and instead of Superboy super-hypnotizing Sunburst, J'onn erases Sunbursts identity from the criminals who were blackmailing him. Sunburst can then retire for a bit, then decide to come out as a superhero later. Done deal.
#3) I think Marv had it in for Arthur Light.
Possibly. He was basically used as an excuse to bring the Fearsome Five together and then swiftly booted out.

Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Ares wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:53 pm My own take would be to give J'onn a bit of the Ultra Boy treatment. Basically, J'onn's abilities are all a combination of his mental energies and his control of his body, but he can only do so much at once. He can give himself Kryptonian class strength, toughness and speed, but at the cost of not being able to use his shapeshifting, density control, and severely limit his telepathic abilities. He can also shapeshift like Plastic Man, but that level of flexibility limits how strong he can get, and again, limits his telepathic abilities. In essence, J'onn is at his most versatile when he is less powerful, and at his most powerful in a given area at the cost of his versatility. It easily explains away his various showings and can be used to keep him from being too overwhelming while leaving him plenty of potential for power.
Once again Ares, you have pretty much summed up my thoughts on a character.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Dr. Light was a jobber. His first time out, he nearly defeated the Justice League. In fact the only reason the League beat him was because Clark and Bruce had arrived after one of their shared cases where they had switched places, and they hadn't switched back.

So then Dr. Light started attacking the League individually. He still lost. He was a jobber.
Marv Wolfman decided that anyone who couldn't defeat a genius scientist with the ability to shrink to any size he wanted down to the size of a quark must be a loser. It didn't matter how many good showings he had against other League members, or even good showings he had against the assembled League. He was outsmarted by Dr. Ray Palmer... he must be a LOSER!!!

(Yes, this attitude was an insult to both the Atom, and Dr. Light.)

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Tattooedman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:11 am Once again Ares, you have pretty much summed up my thoughts on a character.
Thanks! It always seemed like a relatively easy fix or explanation, so much so that I never understood why other writers never went that route.

Jabroniville

Vibe

Post by Jabroniville »

For whatever reason, "Latino Breakdancer" was a BIG stereotype of the '80s. Archie & the gang met a dude like this, too.

VIBE (Paco Ramone)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Chuck Patton
First Appearance: Justice League of America Annual #2 (Oct. 1984)
Role: D-League Hero, Blaster
Group Affiliations: The Justice League of America
PL 9 (96)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Street Criminal) 6 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+5)
Ranged Attack (Blasts) 3 (+9)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit (League Member), Improved Critical (Blasts), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Vibration Powers"
"Vibratory Wave" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (18) -- [21]
  • AE: "Move Via Waves" Move Object 10 (Flaws: Distracting) (10)
  • AE: "Earthquake" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Affliction 9 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) (13.5)
  • AE: "Vibe Blasts" Blast 9 (18)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Vibratory Wave +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Vibe Blast +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Earthquake +9 Area (+9 Damage & Affliction, DC 24 & 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)
Reputation (Ex-Gang Member)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 13 (96)

-Vibe comes from that weird era of DC Comics where they decided that since all of the "classic" Justice Leaguers had successful books of their own, they didn't need to be on the League anymore, and so a team full of newly-created Jobbers would be best. This has actually happened more than once (the old JSA book would remove members the second they were popular enough for their own book, since they didn't need help selling- guys like The Atom were lifers), but the "JL Detroit" era is particularly infamous for losers like Vibe & Gypsy. Making things worse, Vibe was actually a breakdancer, making him extremely dated as well as silly-looking. The whole "Latino Breakdancer" gimmick honestly just makes him seem like a huge "Cool Dad" thing by the hapless JLA writers. Curiously, the whole "Latino With Seismic Powers" thing was actually taken wholesale by Louise Simonson a few years later, for X-Factor character Rictor. It's actually pretty hilarious to think that this loser gimmick "Happy-Go-Lucky Guy" ended up getting his very own rip-off. Of course, Rictor actually proved reasonably-good as a character, whereas Vibe was chosen as the token Team Death, the first Leaguer ever killed in the line of duty. And he STAYED DEAD, proving just how little anybody cared about him.

-That is, of course until OUT OF NOWHERE, the Nu52 decided to reintroduce Vibe as a major hero, due to his status as one of DC's few Latino characters. He got his own ongoing, but it went the way of most of DC's non-major heroes' solo books, lasting only ten issues.

-I know jack squat about Vibe other than what Wikipedia says are "Seismic Powers", so I'll just throw PL 9 version of Rictor's powers onto him. Hee, I ripped off my own build for the guy who got ripped off to give Rictor his identity.