Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Martian Manhunter! Vibe! Gypsy! Fire & Ice!)

Post by catsi563 »

JLU at least imo really redeemed them though they were clones they made them into serious threats using an alien cover identity
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Re: Ice

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidious wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:31 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 pm
And from the WTF file, we have Ice in the Human Target getting it on with him and KILLING Guy.
Froze his head through and the Human Target punched him, breaking the ice skull.

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/dc-killed ... y-gardner/
That’s weird. Is that brand new? Could be mind control or alternate universes or whatever, but I haven’t followed DC for a while.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

It's apparently outside of continuity.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:52 pm That’s weird. Is that brand new? Could be mind control or alternate universes or whatever, but I haven’t followed DC for a while.
And they say, "Tom King wrote it ..." And that answer is enough.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I actually enjoyed the Super Friends comics as a kid, and remember thinking how cool it was for the Global Guardians to show up in the DCU proper, though in the end almost nothing was ever done with them. There were a few other characters I always hoped might make their way into the "official" JLA series too, such as:

The World-Beater (a sort of golem created from the bodies of over a hundred alien super-villains, with ALL their powers)

Overmaster (a subtle mastermind who played the role of a minion) and the Futuro clones (genetically engineered superhumans)

The Monster League (extraterrestrial superheroes who resembled Universal studios monsters)...

'...and quite a few more, which may have been cornball in hindsight, but there was something fun and appealing to unsophisticated kid crusader back then.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Crimson Fox

Post by Jabroniville »

CRIMSON FOX (Vivian & Constance D'Aramis)
Created By:
Keith Giffen & Bart Sears
First Appearance: Justice League Europe #6 (Sept. 1989)
Role: Forgotten D-List Character
Group Affiliations: The Justice League of America, The Global Guardians
PL 8 (133)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 7 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Business) 5 (+7)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+9)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Equipment (Steel Talons +2), Evasion, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action

Equipment:
Speed 6 (120 mph) [6]
"Pheromones" Affliction 8 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- Scent Perception, Reaction +3) (Flaws: Limited to Men) [32]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Claws +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Pheromones +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Secret (Identity)- The twins faked the death of Constance, thus allowing the twins to keep up their secret identity and attend business functions while "also" fighting crime.
Relationship (Metamorpho)- Both twins fell for the ugly superhero.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 11 (133)

-Crimson Fox is notorious for me, because she seems to show up a LOT in Big Group Scenes, mainly due to her distinctive look (the giant... snake head? What IS that? WHY IS SOMEONE NAMED CRIMSON FOX WEARING A SNAKE'S HEAD?)- yet she's so obscure that I was always like "who the *F* is THAT??". The D'Aramis twins were a pair of perfume company executives with Pheromone powers enabling them to become superheroes- they shared the "Crimson Fox" name and identity, via faking the death of Constance, allowing them to more-easily appear in "two places at once", which is admittedly pretty clever. Vivian was more fun-loving and had a thicker French accent compared to Constance, allowing readers of Justice League Europe to tell between them- they were a recurring element of that book, though usually minor characters and seen as trainees. Both happened to fall in love with their teammate Metamorpho.

-In any case, they're so minor (I mean, Justice League EUROPE?) that they were also pretty vulnerable- Vivian was killed by Puanteur (??) in Justice League International in 1995, and Constance had her throat slit by The Mist in Starman (1998) as part of the League team that were just supposed to be beaten, but were then ordered killed by the friggin' editor of the book because "we're not using them anyways". Another Crimson Fox showed up years later, but was not explained- she was the "heir" to the other two's business somehow, but it was not explained further, because apparently nobody cared.

-So all in all, these characters have a pretty long run for characters that 90% of comics fans today couldn't name. They were unspeaking, unnamed background characters in JLU, which only the LAMEST heroes got! But checking out their runs, it's 35 issues of JLE, 12 issues of JLI, and 35 issues of JLA! Granted it all adds up to six years for Vivian and nine for Constance, so it's still pretty short, but that's a lot of books.

-Their bios say they have "Super-Speed", but I don't know in what amount. They don't appear to be particularly good at being super-heroes, since they, y'know, were easily-killed losers. But PL 8 Pheromones are nothing to sneeze at, and they're pretty quick and accurate. When Vivian died, Constance later developed enhanced senses after "giving in" to her animalistic side.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:14 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:52 pm That’s weird. Is that brand new? Could be mind control or alternate universes or whatever, but I haven’t followed DC for a while.
And they say, "Tom King wrote it ..." And that answer is enough.
There was a scene in the previous issue where Tom King had J'onn J'onzz sleep with Fire, and afterwards is huddled in a ball, clearly traumatized.

Which is a perfect representation of the average comic reader after reading any written by Tom King.

Fuck this guy. Seriously.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Crimson Fox

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:30 pm Image
Yeah, it's definitely a distinct look, but that has to be one of the least 'fox-like' outfits I've seen. It really does make her resemble some kind of hooded cobra.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Mystek

Post by Jabroniville »

MYSTEK (Jennifer Barclay)
Created By:
Christopher Priest & Manny Clark
First Appearance: The Ray #12 (May 1995)
Role: Short-Lived Character, Blaster
Group Affiliations: Justice League Task Force
PL 8 (105)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Business) 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Technology 5 (+8)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Manifests Quark Energy"
Blast 8 (Feats: Indirect 4) (Quirks: Indirect Requires Medium- Electronics) (18) -- [19]
  • AE: Create Elastic Matter 8 (Feats: Innate) (17)
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
Senses 4 (Magnetic Detection- Analytical, Acute) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Quark Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Phobia (Enclosed Spaces)- Barclay has issues with Claustrophobia and federal agents (owing to being captured due to her father's "sensitive" work). The former will... come back to bite her.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 13 (105)

-Mystek is a female in a male-looking costume, and debuted in The Ray's book. She attacked him because she thought he was coming to capture her (owing to her family's past in sensitive work), and then attacked the Justice League for the same reasons. However, J'onn J'onzz saw potential in her, and stuck her on the Justice League (because that's totally a thing you do with rookies). Her tenure on the team was brief, as she died in hilariously-stupid fashion, panicking in a space pod and shooting her way out, leading to her death in outer space. All of her appearances were written by Christopher Priest, which is weird, because he killed her off so quickly- normally a guy adding his Pet Character onto a book gives her a PUSH!

-Turns out this is a result of behind the scenes workings- Priest wanted her to be a creator-owned character starring in her own mini-series, and was told to put her on Justice League Task Force in order to generate hype. When plans fell through, he realized he'd created a character in advance of DC making a decision about whether or not to "acquire" her, and simply killed her off (he had to point out to fans on Usenet that no, he didn't get a raw deal, and DC was not evil for it- he should have made sure DC was going to do something with her before "giving" her to them). Though this all seems kinda wasteful, cuz like... you could have just LEFT the character there. Granted, the chances of somebody in 1995 DC actually using Mystek and making her a thing was zero, but this random blip on the radar is truly weird and comes off like a "Shaggy Dog Story" now.

-Mystek has weird powers that allow her to cast her "Quark Energy" semi-solid matter through electronic devices, generally manifesting as Blasts or Create. She can also read "Magnetic Signatures" (allowing her to determine whether or not people had powers, and what kinds).
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Christopher Priest is undoubtedly a talented writer, but he also seems to have trouble relating to people, doesn't play well with others and I get the feeling he's frequently completely up his own ass about how 'right' he is.

He's very happy to kill characters off if he's not going to have access to them anymore, ignoring how this might impact other writers. In addition to Mystek here, he killed off Iron Fist and Ned Leeds when he was leaving their books. Like if he can't play with these toys anymore, he's just going to break them so no one else can play with them either. He's expressed frustrations with fans for not liking Triumph for being an asshole, when the whole point of Triumph is to be an asshole. Basically blaming the fans because he made an unlikable character on purpose and the fans didn't like him.

These examples and other things I've heard/read make me thing he'd be a very frustrating guy to work with.

Ares
Site Admin

Re: Mystek

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:04 am
Complications:
Phobia (Enclosed Spaces)- Barclay has issues with Claustrophobia and federal agents (owing to being captured due to her father's "sensitive" work). The former will... come back to bite her.
And yet she completely encases herself from head to toe in basically a bulky, padded, armored full body condom. Someone didn't think this character through.

Davies

Post by Davies »

Had her claustrophobia been mentioned before her demise? If not, then it might be the most lethal case of "very special episode syndrome" I've ever heard of.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Skavenger

Re: The Wonder Twins

Post by Skavenger »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:18 pm Image

THE WONDER TWINS
The most recent Wonder Twins series was surprisingly good, addressing some of the inherent flaws of the system that superheroes can't always affect. Apparently, in the DCU most of the prisons are corporate-run by one Lex Luthor, and most of the inmates wind up working customer service for Lexcorp products. Plus, it has little touches like this:

There's also what happens when they turn a a villain who's an alcoholic and a vampire (because comics!) in to the police station, they send him to a private holding center, who tries to put him in a private cell, but it turns out the cells are full, so they stick him in the drunk tank, where he...relapses.

It leads to a rather powerful moment.

and

But it has other moments, like Zan explaining why it doesn't suck he gets "friend-zoned" by a girl ("We're seventeen freaking years old. We probably would've broken up in a few weeks anyway. But now we'll still like each other for years to come. Looks like another win for Zan!"), a white female supervillain getting Lex Luthor to spin her PR after she "accidentally" disintegrates a black Nobel prize winner into a "stand your ground" issue, and one plot from a supervillain with the ability to swap minds with others and the daughter of said Nobel prize winner (who Zan and Jayna go to school with, cause convenience!) who work together to come up with a plot to scramble the minds of everybody on the planet so that "those who are in power suddenly have an incentive to make sure those who aren't in power are okay, because who knows who they'll be tomorrow, or the day after."

And that's all just in the first six issues.
Spam

Post by Spam »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:52 pm
Sidious wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:31 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 pm
And from the WTF file, we have Ice in the Human Target getting it on with him and KILLING Guy.
Froze his head through and the Human Target punched him, breaking the ice skull.

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/dc-killed ... y-gardner/
That’s weird. Is that brand new? Could be mind control or alternate universes or whatever, but I haven’t followed DC for a while.
Best part is they they immediately started humping next to his frozen corpse.
Sidious

Re: The Wonder Twins

Post by Sidious »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:18 pm Image

THE WONDER TWINS
I really enjoyed Zan in the DC vs Vampires mini, though his performance was a tad..... watered down......

I'll see my way out...