Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Metal Gear, Mark II

Post by Jabroniville »

METAL GEAR, Mark II
Role:
Robot Buddy
PL 3 (81)
STRENGTH
-3 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (Current Events) 6 (+8)
Sleight of Claw Thingie 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Eidetic Memory

Powers:
"Tiny Robot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 2 [2]

"Forensic Analyzer" Senses 4 (Analytical Vision, Direction Sense, Infravision) [4]
Features 2: Videophone, Storage Compartment [2]
"CommLink" Communication 2 (Electronics) [8]

"Tiny Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (1 foot) [17]
(-2 Strength, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation, -1 Speed)

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Coward)- Metal Gear can become paralyzed with fear at inopportune moments.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 2 (81)

-Gillian's Navigator is Metal Gear (named for another Konami franchise, though there's comments in-universe that mention that the walking tank from Metal Gear Solid is in fact a real thing in their history (please make this canon to MGS)! Metal Gear talks in a cute, high-pitched voice, and is generally used as Exposition ("Insektors are spider-like robots used by Snatchers as security") or to help you find things. He's also somewhat blunt and even capable of worry, as when young Katrina appears before the two dressed in only a towel and lets down her long, flowing blue hair, stunning the two with her beauty, Gear is noticeably going "Oh noooooo..." as to its effects on Gillian. An Eidetic Memory easily helps Metal Gear direct you around, plus he's got some good Senses and a Videophone (handy for communicating with other characters).
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Home Improvement! Rampage! Addams Family! Snatcher!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Funny thing, they did end up bringing the Mark II into the MGS games as of MGS4.
Jabroniville

Snatchers

Post by Jabroniville »

SNATCHERS
Role:
Replacement Androids
PL 7 (72)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (Current Events) 6 (+8)
Sleight of Claw Thingie 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Killer Robot"
Protection 6 [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude --, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Killing & Replacing)- Snatchers wish to kill and take over the lives of their victims.
Responsibility (Bad Skin)- Snatchers have artificial skin over mechanical parts- it can be damaged, and is readily burned by steady sunlight, to the point that Snatchers must either keep sunscreen on themselves or stay out of the sun entirely. A clue someone has been replaced by a Snatcher is that their keep sunscreen on them during winter.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 4 (72)

-Snatchers are extremely dangerous, especially in large numbers. Their strength and toughness allows them to make short work of any J.U.N.K.E.R. agent in melee combat, and they're tough enough to take 8 or 9 shots from a Laser Blaster to truly kill. Elite versions upgrade to PL 8 or 9- easily a match for Gillian's PL 8.
Jabroniville

Random Hajile

Post by Jabroniville »

RANDOM HAJILE
Role:
Mysterious Ally, Bounty Hunter
PL 8 (137)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Streetwise) 7 (+8)
Expertise (Bounty Hunter) 7 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 4 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Guns, Motorcycle), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Guns), Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Tracking

Powers:
"Killer Cyborg"
Protection 6 [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Guns +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Gillian Seed)- Random is fond enough of Gillian to save him twice, and then sacrifice himself for him. Twice.
Secret (Cyborg)- Unbeknownst to even himself, Random is not human.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 10 (137)

-Looking exactly like Sting in Dune (tragically, not the oiled up banana hammock look), Random Hajile appears near the end of Act 1 of Snatcher, saving Gillian from a Snatcher. A mysterious bounty hunter somewhat friendly with Gillian, Random has a more "bad-ass" appearance, complete with blond hair and leather apparel. He later saves Gillian from his sabotaged Turbocycle, and the two investigate a Snatcher maintenance facility together, but are confronted by multiple Snatchers in a morgue facility- Random sacrifices himself with explosives so that Gillian & Metal Gear can escape through a vent.

-Eventually, Random's broken body is seen floating in a tube next to the madman Elijah Modnar. Modnar boasts that he constructed Random himself, and that Random wasn't even aware that he is actually a CYBORG- built similarly to a Snatcher! Random in fact has the same perfect artificial skin Modnar requires for a global Snatcher takeover. However, in a final act of heroism, Random breaks free from the tube and detains Modnar as a Killer Satellite is tracked on their location- the massive Snatcher factory beneath the Kremlin is destroyed, Random sacrificing himself a second time.
Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Snatcher remains an interesting piece of video game history. Hideo Kojima, coming off the success of creating Metal Gear decided to test the boundaries between video game and movie, and created a product that would be the blueprint that would be further refined in the critically acclaimed game Policenauts and his massively successful Metal Gear Solid franchise a decade later. The whole story of Snatcher's development is fascinating in its own right; it took around five years for the definitive version of the game to be published as Kojima and his team took advantage of rapid advancements in computing power to create new versions of Snatcher that could more closely capture his original vision. He would also start the recurring pattern of butting heads with his superiors over taking too much time and money to create a final product, and spending more effort on cut-scenes rather than gameplay. And to be fair, we all play for video games first and foremost for the experience of controlling something, so it was valid criticism.

I did not own a Sega CD as a boy, so never had the chance to play the game. However, I was an avid collector of video game magazines and all of the major publications of the day that were not Nintendo Power raved about Snatcher when it was released in the Western market, and so it left a strong impression on me regardless. Having been able to watch video of the gameplay though the modern magic of YouTube, it is easy to see why it was beloved. The production values were insane by the standards of the early 1990's* and certain elements like the music score and voice acting hold up well even today. Story wise it was a mashup of 80's sci-fi franchises that comes off well despite blatantly stealing whole points from Blade Runner and The Terminator, but Kojima was still a very young man finding his grounding as a writer. Keep in mind he was around 24 when he started development of Snatcher, and it makes his slavish imitation of experienced movie directors more forgivable. Sadly, he seems to have become ever more self-indulgent as a creator as he matured. It really makes me wonder why he never tried to make the leap to movie director at some point rather than try to make games that play like movies, but he has carved out an impressive niche for himself.

*Two and a half hours worth of recorded dialogue in a single video game was more or less unheard of back in 1992. Maybe there were some American PC games that matched or beat that standard, but I cannot think of one off the top of my head.
Last edited by Grenzer on Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

I did play Snatcher, and it was certainly a step forward in video games at the time.

What's funny, though, is there's also a Blade Runner video game that I thought was monumentally ahead of its time, since the NPCs would actually do their story beats regardless of whether the main character was present, so you could completely miss things if you were goofing off instead of investigating the mystery. Between the two games, there's a really great murder mystery story where the perpetrator constantly changes and you have to investigate it different ways each time...that story just hasn't happened yet.
Jabroniville

Guerilla War

Post by Jabroniville »

GUERILLA WAR:
Game Type: Overhead Run & Gun
Release Date: 1987
Developer: SNK

-Shockingly an SNK game where you play FIDEL CASTRO AND CHE GUEVARA as they shoot enemies and save the day, Guerilla War came out in 1987 for arcades (it was apparently a clone of Ikari Warriors, now most famous for introducing Ralf & Clark from King of Fighters), and even had an NES release. Naturally, the American version kept them as unnamed "Rebel Commandos" who raid an unnamed Caribbean island (Cuba) to free it from an unnamed tyrannical dictator (Batista). Shot in an overhead style, this "Run & Gun" game requires you to kill hordes of soldiers and rescue hostages using rotating joysticks- one to control your movements and the other to control your direction of fire. This mechanic later showed up on games like Smash TV and Loaded. You can even ride in (adorably-tiny) tanks that fire out streams of flame. You fight off the leader (who, a typically true coward, hides behind armaments and soldiers and then flees to America by boat once you take out everything).

The game actually had unlimited continues on the NES, which combined with frantic action to make it highly-rated in the US. The game looks awesome for the time, with big, chunky figures (yours are blue; enemies are in green camo). The amount of fire thrown at you can be truly ridiculous, with endless suicidal soldiers lined up to blow you away, but their range actually kinda sucks so most pros hang back a ways and wait to pick off individual guys, then hit the tiny tanks and start steamrolling them and using Line Area damage to wipe out bigger groups.

FIDEL CASTRO & CHE GUEVARA
Role:
Freedom Fighters, T-Shirt Icon For Wannabe Rebels
PL 8 (95)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+7)
Expertise (Rebel Leader) 6 (+9)
Expertise (Politics) 4 (+7)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimididation 1 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 6 (+11)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Gun +5), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Guns), Inspire, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 6

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Gun +10 (+5 Ranaged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Freeing Cuba)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 18 (95)

-So yeah, you get to play as two of the most famous Communist Rebels ever- Fidel Castro & Che Guevara, portraying them as romantic heroes going up against an evil empire. Naturally this leaves out Che's more or less being sacrificed to get him out of the way and Castro becoming a power-mad, brutal dictator in his own right.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Grenzer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:37 am Snatcher remains an interesting piece of video game history. Hideo Kojima, coming off the success of creating Metal Gear decided to test the boundaries between video game and movie, and created a product that would be the blueprint that would be further refined in the critically acclaimed game Policenauts and his massively successful Metal Gear Solid franchise a decade later. The whole story of Snatcher's development is fascinating in its own right; it took around five years for the definitive version of the game to be published as Kojima and his team took advantage of rapid advancements in computing power to create new versions Snatcher that could capture his original vision. He would also start the recurring pattern of butting heads with his superiors over taking too much time and money to create a final product, and spending more effort on cut-scenes rather than gameplay. And to be fair, we all play for video games first and foremost for the experience of controlling something, so it was valid criticism.

I did not own a Sega CD as a boy, so never had the chance to play the game. However, I was an avid collector of video game magazines and all of the major publications of the day that were not Nintendo Power raved about Snatcher when it was released in the Western market, and so it left a strong impression on me regardless. Having been able to watch video of the gameplay though the modern magic of YouTube, it is easy to see why it was beloved. The production values were insane by the standards of the early 1990's* and certain elements like the music score and voice acting hold up well even today. Story wise it was a mashup of 80's sci-fi franchises that comes off well despite blatantly stealing whole points from Blade Runner and The Terminator, but Kojima was still a very young man finding his grounding as a writer. Keep in mind he was around 24 when he started development of Snatcher, and it makes his slavish imitation of experienced movie directors more forgivable. Sadly, he seems to have become ever more self-indulgent as a creator as he matured. It really makes me wonder why he never tried to make the leap to movie director at some point rather than try to make games that play like movies, but he has carved out an impressive niche for himself.
I think a LOT of video game designers are "Failed Movie Directors" in that sense- as games have big budgets but less constraints and people up the food chain expecting things, it's probably much easier to make a game and retain your overall vision. Plus Japan's film industry ebbs and floes and probably never had the budget to support Kojima's vision. I mean, a movie like Snatcher or Policenauts could cost millions upon millions of dollars even in the 1990s.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Okay, so thanks to Grenzer PMing me with additional Kenshiro info, I have updated by Kenshiro Fist of the North Star build with some stuff from a manga bio or something- it adds a lot of Senses (Accurate Chi Detection & animal-tier sight & hearing), plus Half-Immunities to things like drowning and starvation.

Kenshiro Build here
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:14 am Okay, so thanks to Grenzer PMing me with additional Kenshiro info, I have updated by Kenshiro Fist of the North Star build with some stuff from a manga bio or something- it adds a lot of Senses (Accurate Chi Detection & animal-tier sight & hearing), plus Half-Immunities to things like drowning and starvation.

Kenshiro Build here
Hmm...Rider 1 vs Kenshiro...never thought of that.
Jack of Spades

Re: Jab’s Builds! (GoldenEye! Combatribes! Pitfall! Home Improvement!)

Post by Jack of Spades »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:08 am
Jack of Spades wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:38 am Here I was hoping you would do a full run of Addams Family posts...
It's a bit tricky, as it's almost entirely a comedy, most characters don't fight, and many are just children. Even though I've watched like a ton of variations of the show- I've watched two episodes of the black & white 1960s sitcom, both '90s movies, a LOT of the 1990s cartoon, and even more episodes of the awful Canadian-produced live-action sitcom from the late '90s or early 2000s (I have no idea why). I dunno, maybe someday, lol.
Dude, you did the Care Bears. I believe in you. I'm pretty sure you could come up with usable and interesting write-ups of the cast of the the local TV news.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

The NewZealand Story

Post by Jabroniville »

THE NEWZEALAND STORY:
Game Type: Side-Scrolling Platformer
Release Date: 1988
Developer: Taito

-A highly-rated game I've never heard of, The NewZealand Story features a Kiwi bird as the main protagonist as he fights to save his girlfriend and many chicks from a blue Leopard Seal. The game is considered brutally tough- Levels are maze-like, Tiki dies in a single hit, and in each level Tiki must free one of his Kiwi friends. You start off with arrows (an endless supply), but power-ups give you many more options- fire, bombs, lasers, etc. They game offers up numerous flying vehicles as its stand-out feature- balloons, blimps and UFOs are available.

The game is very cutesy, with a bright yellow character and simple graphics (even in the arcades)- you fire arrows at an INTENSE pace, and the bosses are huge but have tricks to beat them (one, a frozen pink Sperm Whale, will eat you and you have to fire arrows inside it to win). The game later received NES & Sega Genesis conversions- the NES version was localized as Kiwi Kraze. In 2007, the game received a remake for the Nintendo DS- this version was seen as pretty mediocre.

TIKI
Role:
Platforming Hero
PL 7 (95)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Arrows), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Extended & Acute Scent) [2]
"Arrows" Blast 3 (Extras: Multiattack) [9]
"Power-Ups" Blast +2 (Feats: Variable- Concussion/Piercing/Fire) (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Source- Power-Ups) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Arrows & Upgrades +8 (+4-6 Ranged Damage, DC 19-21)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (The Blue Leopard Seal)
Relationship (Phee Phee)- Tiki's girlfriend has been captured.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 19 (95)

-Tiki starts out as a Blaster Platform Hero, firing arrows, but you can upgrade this to bombs, lasers and bouncing fireballs for more power.
Jabroniville

TurboGrafx-16

Post by Jabroniville »

THE PC ENGINE/TURBOGRAFX-16 (1987):

-Coming on the tails of the NES & Sega Master System, Hudson Soft's TG-16 was a big hit in Japan, boasting 16-bit graphics (though this later was revealed to be fraudulent) and the Bonk series- its success actually forced Nintendo's hand where they had to create their OWN 16-bit system! However, its American success was limited, and the system would ultimately fail because of it. Its games were released on thin "TurboChips" instead of bulky cartridges, and some of them were considered very excellent. It also received gaming's first CD-based Console, but it didn't get a lot of American releases. There was even a Turbo Express handheld, which actually just played the same games!
Jabroniville

Mascot Games

Post by Jabroniville »

MASCOT GAMES:

The next batch of games will all be themed around Food Mascots of all things. You would NOT BELIEVE the amount of these characters that got their own video games- and most shockingly, most of them AREN'T SHOVELWARE!

Like you would imagine that anyone making a game out of a character meant to market junk food to children would be a license to just half-ass it (or even quarter-ass it) but most of these are pretty well-made!

The Relevant Ones:
* Yo! Noid! (The Noid, of Domino's Pizza)
* M.C. Kids (McDonald's-themed game)
* Chester Cheetah (Cheetohs cheese snacks)
* Cool Spot (7-Up)

There's probably others hidden out there (I know there's a gag game made starring the Burger King), and of course Pepsiman, but I already did a build of him for Fighting Vipers (and tragically Solar Oracle already usurped mine with a more well-researched and thorough bio & build, which I SHALL NEVER FORGIVE HIM for!). Plus there's an Olympics mascot with his own game, so I'll through Izzy's Quest For The Olympic Rings on here as well.
Jabroniville

M.C. Kids

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL, I don't remember Grimace saying "Duh".

M.C. KIDS:
Game Type: Side-Scrolling Platformer
Release Date: 1992
Developer: Virgin Interactive

-A game recommended by my friend Ben, I'd NEVER heard of this until I did my Video Game set on Ronin Army. It's a type of game that barely exists anymore- the Ad Game. Essentially, this entire game is themed around McDonald's fast-food joints... basically to make kids want to eat more McDonald's stuff. Granted, when I was a kid, you hardly had to TRY to get us to want to eat there- they had kick-ass toys (I still remember excitedly going to the Drive-Through and hearing they had KERMIT Muppet Babies toys!), and to a kid, the salty, sugary food tasted better than the finest steak. Needless to say, this kind of game doesn't come out that often nowadays, and is seen as a bit of a relic, though you'll see the occasional "joke game" released (a Burger King one recently, featuring the King character), and they still release games like Barbie and Monster High that probably do more to advertise the dolls that sell game units.

You play a pair of kids running through McDonaldland, trying to get Ronald McDonald's Magic Bag back from the Hamburglar. The most novel game mechanic is that you can REVERSE GRAVITY- passing a certain block will flip you over, and send you running upside-down along the various platforms of the game, and you also get to run around the level above you in the "sky". Truth be told, though the graphics are simplistic as balls, and the enemies are unimaginative and few & far between, the game looks very well-made, and has a lot of fun implements (like arrow-blocks that send you flying, and "invisible" spaces you need to place blocks.

THE M.C. KIDS (Mick & Mack)
Role:
The Hero
PL 7 (78)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 10 (+10)
Expertise (Fast Food) 5 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 6 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Blocks) 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Thrown Blocks), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Power-Lifting 2 (200 lbs.) (Flaws: Limited to Blocks) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Being Upside-Down) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Thrown Blocks +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (The Hamburglar)

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 19 (78)

-You have a pair of options in the game, though they're identical save appearance. Both kids can jump pretty good, and they throw blocks to defeat the bad guys (they appear to have no way to attack otherwise). Though why someone as simple as the Hamburglar needs an army of Mooks and some Deathtraps is beyond me- this guy realy only steals food- he's basically the equivalent of a hobo or a Dine & Dasher, not a Criminal Mastermind.