Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Home Improvement! Rampage! Addams Family! Snatcher!)

Post by Davies »

... for some reason, I have dim, unspecific memories of Grimace saying "duh", but I think he'd stopped by the mid 80s, and the only example I can find is a commercial from 1973, which I could not have seen.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
SolarOracle

Re: Mascot Games

Post by SolarOracle »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:45 pm There's probably others hidden out there (I know there's a gag game made starring the Burger King), and of course Pepsiman, but I already did a build of him for Fighting Vipers (and tragically Solar Oracle already usurped mine with a more well-researched and thorough bio & build, which I SHALL NEVER FORGIVE HIM for!).
LOL, can't help but feel kind of guilty about that in a way, since I had done that build even before you were posting your Fighting Vipers set, but only got around to posting it recently due to wanting to finish up the BnHA builds before doing other projects, and ended up taking a much longer time with that than I expected (burnout sucks, I'm always amazed at how well you avoid it!).

I would have probably not even done that build if you already had your FV set up by the time I started wqorking on it (for whatever reason, I don't really like doing characters other people have already done. A recent example of this is me scratching doing a Deathclaw build from my list due to Taros' really great recent Fallout build set and how I could scratch Ben 10 off of my list due to him apparently also having plans to do a thorough set of that series at some point in the future), so I'm kind of glad I did it way back when, as that was an insanely fun set to do research for and build.

Regardless, my inflated ego thanks you for the shoutout and the compliments to that build! : P
Shock

Post by Shock »

There was a Chex Quest game that used the Doom engine.

Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Shock wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:24 am There was a Chex Quest game that used the Doom engine.

I owned the CD for this, but could never bring myself to load it up on my desktop. From what I heard though, it was okay. Not terrible at all, actually sort of enjoyable.
M.C. KIDS:
Game Type: Side-Scrolling Platformer
Release Date: 1992
Developer: Virgin Interactive
This game on the other hand, I have played. And yes, it is far better than it has any right to be. Never got too deep into it, but the gameplay was very solid and had enough unique elements to it so that it was not a knockoff Mario-clone. There was an unintentionally hilarious piece of character art from Nintendo Power that attempted to portray the Hamburgler as a imposing menace, but honestly it seemed ridiculously to me even as a kid.

McDonald's actually had a significant number of platformers released during the 8 and 16-bit eras. Both a 1988 Famicom and 1993 Genesis game starred Ronald. Mick and Mack managed to get a second game called Global Gladiators, released the same year as M.C. Kids but on the the Genesis.

Even more oddly, M.C. Kids had its game engine reskinned for another mascot game: Spot: The Cool Adventure for the Game Boy.
Jabroniville

Yo! Noid!

Post by Jabroniville »

Yo! Noid! and the game it was pasted on to.

YO! NOID!:
Game Type: Side-Scrolling Action Platformer
Release Date: 1990
Developer: Now Production

-Yet another Food Mascot given his own video game (which were really some of the most omnipresent ones around, when you think about it- toys WERE their own mascots, but if you had kids link your food with fun, then your restaurant would be busy for YEARS- brainwash 'em good and early!), Yo! Noid! is based around The Noid, a goofy claymation character who tried to ruin the pizzas in Domino's Pizza's advertising campaigns. The game was actually a Japanese one called Masked Ninja Hanamaru, but everything was redrawn for American audiences.

In this game, wild slime monsters are ruining New York City, and so the mayor calls The Noid to stop the slimes, who are led by his evil duplicate. The Noid uses a yo-yo and the occasional Screen-Clearing Attack (brought on by a power-up).

Shockingly, the Noid campaign kinda ended because of an actual HOSTAGE SITUATION, as a deranged lunatic named Kenneth Lamar Noid, assuming that the advertising campaign was targeting him, barged into a Domino's location with a gun and held people hostage for five hours. Nobody was hurt (though I'm fairly certain a wage-slave Domino's employee doesn't get paid enough to put up with THAT crap!), and Mr. Noid committed suicide in 1995. THE Noid, however, predeceased him. The game actually came out several months AFTER this, but that was really it for the character, as the publicity was probably a bit too much. There was also a computer game called Avoid the Noid, where you had to deliver pizzas.

THE NOID
Role:
Hater of Pizzas
PL 7 (88)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 9 (+10)
Expertise (Ruiner of Pizzas) 7 (+7)
Deception 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Improved Critical (Yo-Yo), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Yo-Yo" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [4]
Blast 4 (Diminished Range -2) (6 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 17)
Yo-Yo +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Hatred (Pizzas)- The Noid lives for the destruction of pizzas. Except... in this game, he's trying to EARN pizzas. THIS GAME ABOUT A PIZZA CHAIN'S MASCOT MAKES NO SENSE!

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 15 (88)

-PL 6 offensively (the game features no Bosses- just strategy sections against The Noid's pink rival) and PL 6.5 defensively, The Noid is one of the weaker Video Game Heroes out there.
Gilliam

Re: The NewZealand Story

Post by Gilliam »

Jabroniville wrote: Image

THE NEWZEALAND STORY:
Release Date: 1988
Developer: Taito

-A highly-rated game I've never heard of, The NewZealand Story features a Kiwi bird as the main protagonist as he fights to save his girlfriend and many chicks from a blue Leopard Seal.
I am ashamed to admit that I have never heard of this game but Goooo KIWI!!!!
Jabroniville

Chester Cheetah

Post by Jabroniville »

CHESTER CHEETAH GAMES:
Release Date: 1992-93
Developer: Kaneko

-Another "Mascot Character" game, Chester Cheetah, mascot for Cheetos cheese-flavored snacks, received two video games on both 16-bit systems in the early 1990s- Too Cool to Fool and Wild Wild Quest. Chester is one of the more typical mascots of his era- to the point where he could have easily been the template for Poochie in The Simpsons- a "Classic Cool" character, he was sly, casual and wore dark shades indoors, and spouted catcphrases like "DANGEROUSLY cheesy!". A TV series was planned at one point, but parent groups actually complained and got it pulled BEFORE it was made- a true rarity. It seems that selling unhealthy snacks to kids via television crossed a line that "Shows To Sell Toys" did not. It speaks to Chester's success that he got TWO video games while other characters only got one- in terms of mascots, he'd nearly be on Sonic's level just by longevity and being an icon of "Cool Animal" mascots if not for the Sonic movies.

In the first game, each level had a hidden "scooter"- Chester can dash like Sonic the Hedgehog (fitting, given he's a frickin' cheetah) or jump on heads like other Platformer heroes. Like in Sonic, you die in one hit unless you have at least one collected thing in hand- in this case, it's a cheese puff. In Wild Wild Quest, Chester escapes a zoo and must go to Hip City, but his map is torn up by "Mean Eugene" and he has to collect all the pieces.

Reviews of the first game were pretty decent but mid-tier in some respects- 75%-ish? Oddly reviews for the second trashed it- giving it barely 50%. Stiff controls were the big negative, as the graphics & sound were pretty good. Most suggestions on YouTube are that the latter is the superior of the two, however, but neither sets the world on fire.

CHESTER CHEETAH
Role:
Cool Mascot, Animal With Attitude
PL 7 (96)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 10 (+11)
Expertise (Having Attitude) 6 (+10)
Insight 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Vehicles 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Bounce), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Mario Bounce" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Cheeto Power" Protection 2 (Flaws: Source- Rings) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Bounce +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2 (+4 w/ Cheetos), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Addiction (Cheetos)
Enemy (Mean Eugene)- The lantern-jawed Eugene is cruel for seemingly no reason.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 12 (96)

-Chester is a pretty generic Mascot Character- he seems to slap on some Sonic the Hedgehog-inspired stuff (like his collectible-dependent durability, requiring Cheetos to take a hit lest he die) but he's otherwise just another bland guy jumping on heads. His "Bounce" isn't even that elite- most enemies require TWO bounces to kill, requiring a more mobile, bouncy gameplay style. Chester's a pretty typical PL 7 type of action hero, leaping on guys and being somewhat defensive.
Jabroniville

Cool Spot

Post by Jabroniville »

COOL SPOT:
Release Date: 1993
Developer: Virgin Games

-Cool Spot is another in a long line of "Advertising Games"- much like M.C. Kids and others, it's there to advertise foodstuffs. In this case, Spot was the mascot of the popular 7-Up brand of pop/soda/whatever- a citrusy beverage that was never really my thing. Replacing Fido Dido, their '80s mascot, he's... basically their "red dot" logo, only with shades, a mouth and limbs. Not only is he not really original, he lacked much in the way of that much-desired "attitude", aside from a fairly unemotive, lackadaisical style. I mean seriously, you need more than just sunglasses and a disinterested look to be "cool"- in MY day, you had to be in my FACE about your coolness to really contribute. This guy didn't have nothin'.

Like many other games of its type, Cool Spot ended up on pretty much every system out at the time. My only real memory of it is my friend Jordan renting it in High School, and the two of us actually being pretty impressed with how decent the game was (considering it's a Generic Platform Game centred around a soda mascot). Virgin Games were one of the top companies of their time, and really did a good job on the graphics... for a drink mascot's game. There's even parallax on the screens and stuff- if you were a pre-Next Generation game, you HAD to have parallax in your backgrounds, or your game was crap. An arbitrary rule, but a rule nonetheless. Astonishingly, this game actually did well enough to earn a SEQUEL- Spot Goes To Hollywood was a 3-D game released in 1995, and even hit the Next Generation systems! As games were more competitive by this point (in that there were fewer games that had to fight harder), it didn't do too well.

Fun fact: There was actually going to BE a Fido Dido video game- Fido himself was a cartoon character licensed to PepsiCo, and was made a kind of ambiguous, "place whatever attributes you want onto him" character whose ambiguity was kind of the point ("Fido stands for Fido. Fido is against no one"). Now, growing up in the 1980s, I saw a LOT of Fido Dido- other kids talked about him like he was cool, he showed up on stationary, a U.K. magazine, and other stuff you could buy... and really, he was just this THING. Most of the ads were kind of clever, inspired by the Looney Tunes short featuring Daffy Duck feuding with the animator (who turned out to be a certain lapine stinker). It's kind of funny though, because the guy really didn't have a character of his own- he just kind of had "it"- that unknowable quantity that made certain characters popular. His video game was canceled before it was released, and he was eventually replaced as the 7-Up mascot by Cool Spot. However, numerous other countries still use the character via the same license, AND he showed up as recently as the 2000s in some more ads, so in fact Fido Dido IS STILL AROUND. Sometimes.

COOL SPOT
Role:
Drink Mascot
PL 7 (84)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 11 (+11)
Expertise (Carbonated Beverages) 8 (+8)
Perception 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Bubbles) 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Bubbles), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Soda Bubbles" Blast 4 (Extras: Multiattack) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Bubbles +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Rescuing Other Spots)- Other members of Spot's race are trapped throughout the levels for some reason.
Responsibility (Tiny Creature in a Giant Land)- Spot is actually pocket-sized nothings in a very large world. Common household appliances are giants compared to him, and his enemies include inchworms and fish-heads.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 17 (84)

-Spot is a typical PL 7-ish Platformer Hero- his game is pretty simple, and he's a friggin' SPOT.
Jabroniville

Izzy's Quest For The Olympic Rings

Post by Jabroniville »

IZZY'S QUEST FOR THE OLYMPIC RINGS:
Release Date: 1995
Developer: Alexandria

-Another "Mascot Game", Izzy's Quest was a bit different, in that he was the mascot for the Olympic Games in Atlanta 1996, and for some reason they made a video game out of him. An ass one, as it turns out, as it reviewed terribly. Most politely, it was explained as being for younger gamers and pretty easy, offering nothing new to the genre. GamePlayers absolutely savaged it, giving it a 34% and ripping on how slow and boring it all was, and how it was slowed down to just to make it easier for kids. The reviewer SNESdrunk actually points out that the bad slowdown appears RANDOM, though- inexplicably slow in the oddest places, like everything takes place underwater. The graphics are complete garbage- given that games like this live or die based off of their character, you'd think SOME effort would be put in, but no- Izzy just kinda stands there dancing in a 2-frame animation loop and doing odd "flip" jumps that are too janky to really look proper at all.

IZZY
Role:
Platforming Hero, Olympic Mascot
PL 5 (84)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+12)
Expertise (Sports) 10 (+11)
Insight 1 (+3)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Mario Bounce" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Vehicle Form" Shapeshift 2 (Flaws: Limited to Vehicles, Source- Stars) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Stomp +7 (+3 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Finding the Olympic Rings)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 7 (84)

-Izzy is a painfully slow character who appears to even FLIP in herky-jerky stop motion. His sole unique ability is to transform into a hanglider or rocket or something if he finds a "Star" power-up. One time you become a fencer, too.
Shock

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Snatcher! Yo Noid! Chester Cheetah! Cool Spot!)

Post by Shock »

You skipped over the first Spot game. You had to spread your color dots across the game board eventually taking over the whole thing.

Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Snatcher! Yo Noid! Chester Cheetah! Cool Spot!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:18 am You skipped over the first Spot game. You had to spread your color dots across the game board eventually taking over the whole thing.

That one I didn’t know about, lol.
Jabroniville

Obitus

Post by Jabroniville »

OBITUS:
Game Type: Point & Click Adventure Game
Release Date: 1991
Developer: Psygnosis

-An early game by Psygnosis, the UK developer responsible for a lot of early highly-touted PlayStation content, this one is an Action-Adventure game that looks like an RPG, and came out for PC systems and the Super NES in 1991. The game features a history professor who ends up in a mystical land, facing a labyrinth full of monsters. He must collect the proper items to fight his way free. You need to make your own maps to succeed- you will quickly die as time is valuable and your stamina will flag, necessitating actually sleeping, which can only be done safely with a friendly NPC watching over you. The game is a First-Person navigator where you slowly move in straight lines as the background moves up into the fore- when you hit a castle, it becomes a side-scroller, and you have to use the weapons collected or die.

Per Wikipedia: "King Cullen passed control of the peaceful land Obitus to his four sons, warning them to stand united or the land would fall into evil hands. To symbolise the unity, the king gave each of his sons a Gem of Tranquility, which when joined conjured a mystical force to protect the land. Some time after the transfer of power took place, an evil sorceress sought to take advantage of the princes' fraternal pact. She told them each in confidence that they must break from the others in order to obtain personal wealth and power. The princes took these words to heart and fought for control of the kingdom. When the battle was over, each prince had one of the gems and one quarter of the land, and the power of the gems had been broken. Only by reuniting them in the Tower Obitus can the kingdom be saved."

Some versions are considered pretty mediocre- like 65%-ish- while othe versions are praised. GamePro dug the SNES version. The "walking through first-person" bits seem very well-animated but given there's only two backgrounds it's easier to understand how they made that look good. The side-scrolling bits are painfully slow and just feature rooms of 1-2 guys who you slowly kill and some slow-moving obstacles to avoid. It's more about finding your way through and sleeping at appropriate times than kicking ass. You just sorta find stuff and eventually are proclaimed master of the land. I don't even see a Final Boss!

WIL MASON
Role:
Regular Guy/Hero
PL 6 (74)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Expertise (History) 7 (+10)
Expertise (Teacher) 3 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Bow & Arrow, Sword), Ranged Attack 6

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Bow & Arrow +7 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Stranger in a Strange Land)- Wil is a history professor and ends up in a violent fantasy world.
Disabled (Underdeveloped Thyroid)- The dude has to sleep CONSTANTLY or take more damage.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (74)

-Wil Mason is a History Professor but a bit potent in battle, though largely only has to fight one opponent at a time- and the dogs, skeletons & knights mostly go down in 1-2 hits from a bow & arrow. He's actually pretty tanky, though- not taking a lot of damage.
Jabroniville

Mazin Saga: Mutant Fighter

Post by Jabroniville »

MAZIN SAGA- MUTANT FIGHTER:
Game Type: Side-Scrolling Beat 'Em Up/Fighting Game
Release Date: 1993
Developer: Vic Tokai

-Mazin Saga is actually a 1993 Beat 'Em Up game that's a license of the Mazinger-Z franchise. Coming out for the Sega Genesis, it features the main character in a world that's been destroyed by GodKaiser Hell and his Bio-Beasts, and you're a scientist from the remains of humanity (forced underground in a ruined world) who built a suit of armor to kick the shit out of monsters on the surface, then pilot a mecha to destroy the REALLY big ones. Unusually, the game starts in a more Streets of Rage set-up where you fight regular-sized monsters and tangle with the giants... then upgrades to Final Boss fights in a more Fighting Game set-up.

The game seems fine in the Beat 'Em Up mode- enemies actually get up in a pretty smooth "each part animated independently" style, but it's pretty routine "sword slash then flippy slash" stuff. The Fighting Game elements are animated BEAUTIFULLY, blowing up the sprites to three times larger and animating each part of the creature with much more detail. The fighting is much more simplistic than standard Fighters, which a lot of "attack, then fall back and attack again" strategy and every character having only a few attacks instead of dozens, but it's a pretty unique idea. Reviews were solid to excellent, but nothing much came of it- NintendoComplete, who did the playthrough on YouTube, says "Mazin Saga is one of the Genesis's best brawlers and one of its worst fighting games. It comes so close to greatness, but man, those boss battles...". Bosses are apparently VERY cheap and you often need exploits just to beat them. Naturally the game ends in a Boss Rush, including two palette swaps (Negative Mazinger & Hell Mazinger) who are brutally tough.

MAZINGER (Koji Kabuto)
Role:
Genius Scientist, Mech-Fighter
PL 9 (126)
STRENGTH
2/5 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+10, +13 Suit)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+11)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Technology 8 (+15)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment (Sword +3), Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Mazinger Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [8]
Enhanced Strength 3 (6)
Protection 4 (4)
-- (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Mazinger Armor +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Sword +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3 (+7 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Saving the World)- Mazinger must destroy the Bio-Beasts.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 14 (126)

---

MAZINGER-Z (Koji Kabuto)
Role:
Genius Scientist, Mech-Fighter
PL 14 (148)
STRENGTH
2/14 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+10, +13 Suit)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+11)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Technology 8 (+15)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Mazinger-Z Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [28]
Growth 12 (Str & Toughness +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (60 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) (26)
Enhanced Defenses 4 (8)
-- (34 points)

"Giant Sword" (Feats: Restricted to Huge Beings) (Flaws: Easily Removable) [3]
Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Penetrating 2) (5 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Mazinger Armor +10 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Sword +10 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8
"Mazinger" Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+15 Mecha), Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Saving the World)- Mazinger must destroy the Bio-Beasts.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 14 (148)

-Koji Kabuto (named after a helmet, named after the beetle, from which a lot of samurai motifs are derived- hence the armor) built a suit of armor, though in one version it was given by his father, I dunno. He fights the Bio-Beasts in normal-sized form, and then upgrades to a huge suit to battle the bosses, going from PL 9 to PL 14 in the process, though is only PL 12 defensively. Note that in the manga & anime, Mazinger-Z boasts an absolute shit-ton of attacks, most iconically the "Shoot Off His Fists as a Blast" thing.
Jabroniville

Last Battle

Post by Jabroniville »

LAST BATTLE:
Game Type: Side-Scrolling Beat 'Em Up
Release Date: 1989
Developer: Sega

-Haha, okay this is a funny one for the history books. Last Battle was originally published in Japan as a Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the North Star) license, but they lost that in the West so it was rebranded as a generic Beat 'Em Up instead, albeit keeping the same plot. This game was actually one of the ORIGINAL SIX Sega Genesis launch titles in 1989, yet was a completely abysmal piece of crap that has since been considered one of the worst Genesis games of all time. The game was made a lot less bloody in the West, with characters made more mutant-like so their deaths aren't so bad as well. It's also pretty funny when you meet some guy named "Rob" who is very clearly a FOTNS character and stuff like that.

The the game, you play "Aarzak", a martial artist who fights using punches and kicks, and may crouch or leap while doing them, meaning he has six different attacks. Partway through the stage you will fill your Power Meter and thus unlock your full potential and begin using multi-attacks with each strike. But everything's just so damn stuff and un-fun. It's a Beat 'Em Up where you can't even move UP OR DOWN; you just fight dudes in a never-ending forward march in a straight line, sending them flying off-screen (not killing them bloodily like the Japanese original).

Genesis original, with the blood and exploding heads.

AARZAK
Role:
The Biggest Bad-Ass Ever... In a Shitty Licensed Game
PL 9 (133)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 8 (+12)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 12 (+13)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+7)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 8 (+11)
Ranged Combat (Thrown Objects) 6 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+9)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Seize Initiative, Takedown 2

Powers:
Immunity 3 (Poison, Pain Effects) [3]
"ATATATATATATATATATA!!!!" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Triggered- "You Are Already Dead", Precise) (Extras: Multiattack 4) (Flaws: Source- Power Gauge) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 14), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Hero)- Aarzak does not go looking for trouble, but will not allow evil men to harm innocent people- they will be slaughtered wholesale and without mercy.
Enemy (Garokk)- The villain "Garokk" (who looks like the Red Hulk but made out of lava) seeks Aarzak's death.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 16 (133)

-Aarzak here is effectively a low-grade, PL 9 version of Kenshiro (who I statted out as a PL 12 with a ridiculous number of Alt-Effects). He only really uses punches and later Multiattack ones in the game, but some Stage Bosses are seen "bulging up" from impact before erupting, so I left in the "Triggered" feat.
Harnos

Re: Daddy Longlegs

Post by Harnos »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:37 pm Image

DADDY LONGLEGS (Ramsey Kole)
Created By:
Ann Nocenti & Brian Postman
First Appearance: Spider-Woman #47 (Aug. 1982)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliation: None
PL 7 (75)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 4 (+10)
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Dancing) 9 (+10)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment 1 (Cane +1), Fast Grab

Powers:
"Incredible Height" Elongation 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Cane +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Becoming A Famous Dancer)
Prejudice (Short/Freak)- Ramsey Kole is too short to be cast in dance productions like he wants to be; Daddy Longlegs is a 15-foot tall freak.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (75)

-Daddy Longlegs, with that goofy name, was obviously gonna be a Joke Villain of sorts, and he fits into the weird final issues of Ann Nocenti's Spider-Woman, which also contained Poltergeist, Tick-Tock & The Locksmith. This guy was a talented dancer whose short height kept him from getting roles. He asked Bill "Black Goliath" Foster to make him taller, but the man refused, as the formula was untested- naturally, Ramsey Kole then kicked him unconscious and drank several beakers of it, hoping that one was the growth formula (!!?!?! WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!?! Who drinks RANDOM FORMULAS in THIS universe?!). He suddenly grwe to six feet and was all happy, but then found himself growing ever taller, reaching fifteen feet in height. And because he'd mixed all the stuff together, his strength was boosted but his musculature wasn't, leaving him with a long, spindly freakish appearance. Gee, who would have guessed drinking random shit on a super-chemist's shelf would have negative side-effects?

-Calling himself "Daddy Longlegs", Kole of course immediately invaded a packed theatre and started dancing. Enraged when the crowd laughed at him, Daddy Longlegs was then attacked by Spider-Woman, who Bill Foster had just called to tell her about this guy. She ended up defeating him after a pretty simple battle (she broke his cane and distracted him, but her venom blast came back at her- she ultimately climbed his body using wall-crawling and knocked him out). Wrapping him up in a metal fence, Spider-Woman was surprised when he broke down crying, bitterly regretting everything. While she privately debated what to do with him (whether prison or Dr. Foster were the best solution), he was captured by the Locksmith, who soon wrapped up all of Spider-Woman's various superhuman friends and foes. In a book only two years later, Kole approached Dr. Karl Malus for help- Malus actually restored Kole's original height, then used samples from his body to turn Erik Josten into Goliath. Daddy Longlegs has shockingly never been seen again, not even in comedy books- this guy is a natural for Deadpool or The Great Lakes Avengers.

-Daddy Longlegs is a one-off goof who managed to be a tricky opponent for a PL 8-ish Jessica Drew for a time- his long, spindly body made him hard to land a hit on. He's even mildly super-strong. Even so, he's only PL 7, and I didn't give him Growth, as he was too skinny to weigh much and it didn't affect his defenses at all.
Lol, that is hilarious. :mrgreen: