Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Wave

Post by Jabroniville »

WAVE (Pearl Pangan)
Created By:
Greg Pak & Leinil Francis Yu
First Appearance: War of the Realms- New Agents of Atlas #1 (May 2019)
Role: Hydrokinetic Hero
Group Affiliations: The Agents of Atlas

-Looking like an Atlantean aside from the skin color, Wave is a trident-bearing Filipino woman who always felt a tremendous affinity for water... so she's Moana. She was recruited by an evil company to carry out their experiments, but she learned the truth about them thanks to the Triumph Division (a team of Filipino heroes). Drenched in water and exposed to mystical energies during War of the Realms, she became a hydrokinetic superhero, and joined the new Agents of Atlas.
Jabroniville

White Fox

Post by Jabroniville »

WHITE FOX (Ami Han)
Created By:
Al Ewing & Paco Medina
First Appearance: Contest of Champions #1 (Oct. 2015)
Role: Fox-Powered Government Agent, Korean Superhero
Group Affiliations: The Agents of Atlas, The National Intelligence Service (Korea)
PL 9 (184)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 7 (+13)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Government Agent) 7 (+9)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 7 (+10)
Perception 9 (+12)
Persuasion 1 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 2 (+4)
Treatment 1 (+3)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (NIS Agent), Equipment 4 (Gear), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Languages (A Few), Leadership, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Kumiho Physiology"
"Fox Senses" Senses 8 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Extended & Ultra-Hearing, Detect Fear- Ranged, Tracking) [8]
Comprehend 2 (Animals) [4]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Kumiho Form" Morph 1 (Feats: Metamorph) [6]

"Mesmerism" Mind Control 6 (Flaws: Hearing-Dependent) (18) -- [19]
  • AE: "Energy Absorption" Weaken Strength 8 Linked to Healing 8 (Flaws: Limited to Self) (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (South Korea)

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 14 (184)

-White Fox is a pretty new character. She is the last of the Kumiho- shapeshifting nine-tailed foxes from Korean mythology (obviously simliar to the Kitsune of Japan- myths spread across Asia pretty well), who were known to seduce men and consume their hearts. Ami's grandfather had fallen in love with a mortal man, who helped her discover humanity. Ami was raised by her mother, both using Kumiho transformations, but witnessed her mother's death at the hands of Samjokgu- three-legged dogs who killed all the Kumihos left, save her. Ami became a vigilante after a friend of hers was threatened by gangsters, and became a member of Korea's National Intelligence Service, then its leader, forming a superhuman response team called the Tiger Division while going as the "White Fox".

-She debuted in Contest of Champions, investigating the death of an agent of hers named Gun-R, who was abducted and killed in a tournament involving parallel universes. She teamed up with the Ultimates and faced the Maestro, who controlled the Contest, but the heroes were expelled and she was left behind to fight in the tournaments. However, she joined a revolution against him and Maestro was ultimately banished. Later stories have featured her teaming up with Domino, then the new Agents of Atlas when they formed an Asian superhero team.

-White Fox is apparently a quite experienced heroine, having had a pretty long career we just happened not to see. She has a good handful of established powers, but for some reason her Kumiho tails each have their own unique power... which we NEVER SEE, which means I can't stat it. She's a low-key "Scrapper" build with more accuracy than hitting power, but esoteric powers like Mesmerism & Life Force Draining (which she can use to heal herself). Overall she's a "Government Agent" build on top of a Scrapper build, so she's quite pricey for a PL 9.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Marvel Boy! Venus! Gorilla-Man! 3-D Man! White Fox!)

Post by greycrusader »

For such utterly obscure, C-list characters, the Agents of Atlas have inspired some sweet pieces of artwork!

All my best!
Jabroniville

Luna Snow

Post by Jabroniville »

LUNA SNOW (Seol Hee)
Created By:
Greg Pak & Gang Hyuk Lim
First Appearance: Marvel Future Fight (2015- video game), War of the Realms- New Agents of Atlas #1 (May 2019)
Role: K-Pop Heroine, Ice Hero

-Luna Snow is another new Asian heroine- a Korean orphan raised by her grandmother, who eventually became a K-Pop idol. During an attack by A.I.M., she was trapped inside a Stark Industries cold fusion reactor, which gave her ice powers. She teamed up with other South Korean heroines- White Fox & Crescent, against a Fire Demon invasion during War of the Realms and joined the Agents of Atlas. A somewhat adversarial relationship with teammate Amadeus Cho eventually led to them of course kissing, which was broadcast on live TV, much to her frustration.

-Luna wields ice powers- Dark Ice causes destruction and Light Ice can heal others.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:03 am For such utterly obscure, C-list characters, the Agents of Atlas have inspired some sweet pieces of artwork!

All my best!
Yeah, this is a weird case where Marvel appears to have broken the bank getting every big-name Asian artist they could find to do the pinups and covers for all these characters. I'm not sure if they were trying to get sales within Asia or what, but these guys got way better stuff than any other new characters I can think of.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:12 am
greycrusader wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:03 am For such utterly obscure, C-list characters, the Agents of Atlas have inspired some sweet pieces of artwork!

All my best!
Yeah, this is a weird case where Marvel appears to have broken the bank getting every big-name Asian artist they could find to do the pinups and covers for all these characters. I'm not sure if they were trying to get sales within Asia or what, but these guys got way better stuff than any other new characters I can think of.
My theory is that they were more or less hunting for the next Ms. Marvel...but as a movie and/or television character more than a comics character. All one of them has to do is catch a bit of fire and, well. You know how well Marvel movies do in Asia with a very Western cast. Imagine, like a corp exec would, how much better they might do with an Asian or two in a high profile role on the team. I mean, the last four have all been pretty women with powers that would basically be all CGI in live action. Also diversity creates cash in general, if one doesn't thump the audience over the head with it.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Shock

Re: Luna Snow

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:10 am she was trapped inside a Stark Industries cold fusion reactor, which gave her ice powers.
LOL COLD fusion.....
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Shock wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:36 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:10 am she was trapped inside a Stark Industries cold fusion reactor, which gave her ice powers.
LOL COLD fusion.....
Ah, comic book SCIENCE! NEVER change. :D
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:36 am
LOL COLD fusion.....
I mean, what ELSE would it give her? Heat powers? That'd just be silly!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:12 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:12 am

All my best!
My theory is that they were more or less hunting for the next Ms. Marvel...but as a movie and/or television character more than a comics character. All one of them has to do is catch a bit of fire and, well. You know how well Marvel movies do in Asia with a very Western cast. Imagine, like a corp exec would, how much better they might do with an Asian or two in a high profile role on the team. I mean, the last four have all been pretty women with powers that would basically be all CGI in live action. Also diversity creates cash in general, if one doesn't thump the audience over the head with it.
Hm, yeah, that seems to fit. A couple of them were for a video game they probably wanted to sell in Asia, too, so they were hoping to advertise it- look at all the Korean characters (Korea is infamously full of hardcore gamers, too). Though Marvel repeatedly trying again and again is an issue, because spamming characters out like this just renders ALL of them forgettable, as it's impossible to stand out amidst the horde.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

There is to say of the new crew that they're all doing better on the costume front than 3D Man, the Human Robot, or the Uranian. Even if they do look designed for film rather than the comics page.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Jimmy Woo! Marvel Boy! Venus! Gorilla-Man! 3-D Man!)

Post by greycrusader »

Ares wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:05 pm
M4C8 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:32 pm The fact that one of the least interesting and least capable characters from the team was given the powers of the Iron Fist despite, unlike Danny, not having earned it or having any connection with K'un-Lun is ridiculous and frankly insulting to the character and the fans.
Oooooh don't get me started on how Marvel has been crapping over Danny in recent years. "I was never a good Iron Fist" my ass.
Look, I understand that iron Fist's origin is somewhat problematic; it's essentially yet another take on the "White stranger learns mystic secrets from Asians/Africans/American Indians, masters them more so than the natives, and rises to become their champion" trope. This harkens back to the Green Llama, Amazing-Man, Black Marvel, the original Daredevil, even Tarzan for that matter. But Danny Rand and the City of K'un L'un moved past that DECADES ago; frankly, its a bit more stereotypical at this point to recast Iron Fist as yet another Asian/Asian-American whose power is super-martial-arts.

(BTW-did Bendis get called out at all for what he did with Karate Kid in his really bad Legion of Super-Heroes revamp? Nixing him as of mixed heritage and giving him a traditional Chinese queue-KARATE originates in JAPAN, Bendis! NOT CHINA! Two different countries!)

Comics is still grappling with the after-effects of decades of non-White heroes/villains/characters being excluded, or relegated to minor roles, after being essentially non-existent or horrible caricatures for the first thirty-five years of the medium. But building up new characters by tearing down old ones is just bad, lazy writing, no matter who's doing it or for what purpose (non-legacy character example, Joe Quesada having Mary Jane actively pushing Peter to date whatever random girlfriend Joe Q came up with for Spider-Man).

Crusader's rant du jour over. All my best.
Jabroniville

Iron Fist (Lin Lie)

Post by Jabroniville »

IRON FIST II (Lin Lie, aka Sword Master)
Created By:
Shuizhu & Gunji
First Appearance: Warriors of Three Sovereigns #1 (May 2018), Iron Fist #1 (Feb. 2022- as Iron Fist)
Role: Legacy Hero

-hoo boy. So yeah, Marvel was like "Sike! Iron Fist is now Asian!", slapping the Iron Fist powers onto a character that's only four years old at this point. Lin Lie first appeared as the hero "Sword Master" in a Chinese digital series Warrior of the Three Sovereigns, wielding the mystic Sword Of Fu Xi. His archaeologist father & brother disappeared years ago, and the living sword moves by itself to defend him from demons. A demon hunter allies with him, revealing that the Sword is a mystical artefact that's centuries old, and that both she and him are descendants of those who sealed the ancient war god Chiyou centuries ago. A year after his debut, Sword Master joined the Agents of Atlas during War of the Realms and got a mini-series comic book- Shang-Chi trains him, noticing the hero's inexperience & recklessness. In 2021, he lost his sword battling demons and nearly died... and then he is rescued by Shou-Lao the Undying himself in a new Iron Fist series, and Lin is granted its powers since Marvel now finds Danny Rand "problematic" or whatever.

-So Lin has shards from his sword lodged in his hands, and can't use the Iron Fist power consistently- this, and his status as the third straight outsider in a row to gain the Iron Fist powers, makes him a target of scorn within K'un-Lun. He eventually discovers that his lost brother is deliberately smashing the mystic tombs that seal Chiyou, resulting in demons sprouting up across the globe- allying with Danny, Lin embraces both the Iron Fist and reconstructs his sword, gaining both sets of powers.

-Lin is an inexperienced Iron Fist, unable to take on other Immortal Weapons just yet. However, he now has the powers of the Fist AND the demon-slaying Sword of Fu Xi.
M4C8

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Jimmy Woo! Marvel Boy! Venus! Gorilla-Man! 3-D Man!)

Post by M4C8 »

greycrusader wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:53 am
Ares wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:05 pm
M4C8 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:32 pm The fact that one of the least interesting and least capable characters from the team was given the powers of the Iron Fist despite, unlike Danny, not having earned it or having any connection with K'un-Lun is ridiculous and frankly insulting to the character and the fans.
Oooooh don't get me started on how Marvel has been crapping over Danny in recent years. "I was never a good Iron Fist" my ass.
Look, I understand that iron Fist's origin is somewhat problematic; it's essentially yet another take on the "White stranger learns mystic secrets from Asians/Africans/American Indians, masters them more so than the natives, and rises to become their champion" trope. This harkens back to the Green Llama, Amazing-Man, Black Marvel, the original Daredevil, even Tarzan for that matter. But Danny Rand and the City of K'un L'un moved past that DECADES ago; frankly, its a bit more stereotypical at this point to recast Iron Fist as yet another Asian/Asian-American whose power is super-martial-arts.

(BTW-did Bendis get called out at all for what he did with Karate Kid in his really bad Legion of Super-Heroes revamp? Nixing him as of mixed heritage and giving him a traditional Chinese queue-KARATE originates in JAPAN, Bendis! NOT CHINA! Two different countries!)

Comics is still grappling with the after-effects of decades of non-White heroes/villains/characters being excluded, or relegated to minor roles, after being essentially non-existent or horrible caricatures for the first thirty-five years of the medium. But building up new characters by tearing down old ones is just bad, lazy writing, no matter who's doing it or for what purpose (non-legacy character example, Joe Quesada having Mary Jane actively pushing Peter to date whatever random girlfriend Joe Q came up with for Spider-Man).

Crusader's rant du jour over. All my best.
It's annoying for so many reasons, most notably that Danny's race is an important aspect of his characterisation, not only having grown up as the notable 'outsider' in K'un-Lun so having to train and fight harder than most just to gain acceptance but also his sibling like relationship with Luke Cage. When the Iron Fist Netflix show was announced there was a campaign against it from the start with people saying that Danny should be Asian, which not only ignores that Danny is an established character with an existing fan base and goes against important aspects of Danny's character, it just replaces one stereotypical trope with another. Honestly none of the 'it's cultural appropriation/white saviour' arguments really hold up in you know anything about the character which is why I was so pissed off that the campaign was kicked off by an Asian comic book writer who should know better (I think it was Marjorie Liu but I could be wrong)

K'un-Lun is a mythical city state founded by aliens in another dimension so no Danny being white is not 'appropriating' an Asian culture, and even if it was part of a real Asian culture being a capable martial artist has absolutely nothing to do with race. There have also been over sixty Iron Fist's throughout history, Danny is only the second white person to hold the title so the whole white saviour thing doesn't really make sense TBH and if Danny is a white saviour just because he can beat Asian people in martial arts then so is Batman, Daredevil and pretty much any white comic book martial arts expert. Danny grew up in K'un-Lun, he's a citizen like anyone else, saying he shouldn't be Iron Fist is like saying Faiza Hussein shouldn't be able to wield Excalibur even though she's British because she's not white.
Last edited by M4C8 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Giant-Man (Malhotra)

Post by Jabroniville »

GIANT-MAN II (Raz Malhotra)
Created By:
Nick Spencer & Brent Schoonover
First Appearance: Ant-Man Annual #1 (July 2015)
Role: Growing Hero, Legacy Hero
PL 9 (89)
STRENGTH
0/11 STAMINA 1/13 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat 1 (+7)
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+14)
Perception 2 (+3)
Technology 8 (+15)

Advantages:
Inventor, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Pym Particles"
"Large Size- Over 100 Feet Tall"
Growth 11 (Str & Sta +11, +11 Mass, +5 Intimidation, -5 Dodge/Parry) -- (48 feet) [22]
Growth +6 (+17 Mass, +8 Intimidation, +2 Speed, -17 Stealth) -- (120 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-Str & Sta Increases) [6]
Speed 2 (30 mph) [2]
"Giant-Sized Fists & Feet" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2 on 9 Ranks) (4.5) -- [6]
  • AE: "Hitting Power" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
"Alternate Sizes"
Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed) -- (24 feet)
Growth 9 (Str & Sta +9, +9 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed) -- (30 feet)
Growth 10 (Str & Sta +10, +10 Mass, +5 Intimidation, -5 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed) -- (36 feet)
Growth 11 (Str & Sta +11, +11 Mass, +5 Intimidation, -5 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed) -- (42 feet)
Growth 12 (Str & Sta +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +3 Speed) -- (48 feet)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
"Large Size" Unarmed +6 (+12 Damage, DC 30)
Giant Fists & Feet +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +1, Fortitude +4, Will +5
"Largest Size" Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +13, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Prejudice (Homosexual)
Relationship (Isaac Ikeda)- Raz has a "friendly relationship" with this teammate Protector, and were once photographed kissing.
Vulnerable (Easy to Hit)- When fighting against a Full-Sized Cassie Lang, any character may be treated as having the Power Attack Advantage, allowing them to go +5 to damage. She's such an big target that all her vulnerable spots are enormous.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 15 (89)

-Wait, there's an Indian Giant-Man now? Well I guess Hank Pym is dead or whatever. Raz Malhotra was from Colorado and was born to Indian immigrants, and studies artificial intelligence. His career was ruined when Pym decided that A.I. wasn't worth creating and shut down many companies producing them- Raz was stuck doing tech support as a result. However, the villain Egghead returned and kidnapped him, using his genius to create robot duplicates of the Avengers. Pym & Scott Lang arrived, and Raz eventually regained his free will and turned off his "A.I.vengers". Pym later died, and Lang, who'd inherited Pym's uber-lab, decided to gift Raz with a present- the "Giant-Man" suit.

-So Raz became the new Giant-Man, but had some bad luck- the Unicorn trapped him within the Golden Gate Bridge, and the new Blacklash escaped him & Lang. Lang offered to train him while Raz took over the lab. He's since shown up a couple of times as a background genius or aide to other heroes. He later helped fight HYDRA and joined the Agents of Atlas... and kissed his teammate Protector. Ah, I was wondering which member/s of the team would be the Mandatory Gay Ones.

-Raz is both a genius AND a giant, but is such a rookie hero he doesn't cost very many powers, nor is he that effective.