Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Mandarin! Temugin! Spymaster! Whiplash!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Orbiter wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:36 pm Hey, Jab, slightly off topic ... or going off on a tangent or something. Have you read Karl Kessel's Section Zero stuff? If not, I recommend it because it's fun. And it vaguely seems like you don't take requests -- did I hear that somewhere?-- but if you enjoyed the series and felt the spontaneous desire to stat everybody up I'm sure no one would stop you.
Never heard of it, no. The Kesels aren't writers I'm overly familiar with.
Jabroniville

Kaze (Original)

Post by Jabroniville »

KAZE I ("Wind", Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Len Kaminski & Kevin Hopgood
First Appearance: Iron Man #281 (June 1992)
Role: Noble Assassin
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Silence
PL 8 (121)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+8)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Mercenary) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment (Armor +4), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Katanas), Improved Defenses, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Psychic Invisibility" Concealment (Vision 2, Hearing) 5 [10]

"Energy Kusari-Gama" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [4]
Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Reach, Variable- Slashing & Energy) (6 points)

"Radio-Controlled Shuriken" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Blast 4 (Feats: Homing 4, Ricochet 2) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Kusari-Gama +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Shuriken +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+7 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Bushido)- The Masters of Silence will repay disrespect or deception brutally. They will also reveal themselves to their targets before attacking, ignoring their stealth powers.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 10 (121)

-Kaze wears green and wields an energized Kusari-Gama- a weighted ball or sickle attached to a chain. In the team's second appearance, Kaze was killed facing the Face Thief- the demon slashed his neck with a katana. Impressed by the fighting spirit of civilian Meredith McCall, Kaze passed his own "fighting spirit" onto her, allowing her to join the team.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Man, it shouldn't be THAT hard to make samurai in power armor cool. It really shouldn't.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

I'm kind of surprised that the Masters of Silence debuted before the Power Rangers.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

"Masters of Silence" is also just the worst name for a bunch of samurai in power armor. You'd expect that to be some name for an elite group within the Hand or something, not a bunch of guys in metal armor fighting Iron Man.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Kaze (McCall)

Post by Jabroniville »

KAZE II (Meredith McCall)
Created By:
Archie Goodwin & Don Heck
First Appearance: Iron Man #28 (Aug. 1970- as Meredith), Iron Man #281 (June 1992- as Kaze)
Role: Guest Star Turned Noble Assassin
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Silence
PL 8 (121)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+8)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Mercenary) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Therapist) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Close Attack, Equipment (Armor +4), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Katanas), Improved Defenses, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Psychic Invisibility" Concealment (Vision 2, Hearing) 5 [10]

"Energy Kusari-Gama" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [4]
Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Reach, Variable- Slashing & Energy) (6 points)

"Radio-Controlled Shuriken" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Blast 4 (Feats: Homing 4, Ricochet 2) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sasumata +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Shuriken +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+7 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Bushido)- The Masters of Silence will repay disrespect or deception brutally. They will also reveal themselves to their targets before attacking, ignoring their stealth powers.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 10 (122)

-Okay, this one's a little weird- Meredith McCall debuted in 1970 as part of the supporting cast- she was the daughter of Creighton McCall, Howard Stark's greatest rival, but fell in love with Howard's son Tony. Their fathers, however, forbade them from seeing each other. They met again years later when Meredith was working as a therapist at the sanitarium where the Controller was being treated- she warned Tony that the Controller was taking over the place using his powers, but he took a bit of convincing, as he believed the head of the place (naturally, he was being mind-controlled) that Meredith was actually just a delusional inmate. Tony saved the day, but left without saying goodbye, as he'd read on Meredith's file that she was married.

-However, continuity issues abound- it was retconned that the two were dating as teenagers. Then it's revealed in 1992 that her father and husband were both killed- that tragedy leads directly to her joining the Masters of Silence as "Kaze", so now she's a samurai assassin in green armor! Then, only a year later, Meredith shows up as a professor at Columbia University with a different dead ex-husband! So she's both an adventurer/assassin AND a university professor?

-Meredith would ordinarily be a civilian, but Kama's spirit entering her body I guess allows her to match the other two Masters of Silence in combat. I adjusted her stats a bit due to her being smaller, but otherwise they're the same.
Jabroniville

Aldrich Killian

Post by Jabroniville »

ALDRICH KILLIAN
Created By:
Warren Ellis & Adi Granov
First Appearance: Iron Man #1 (Jan. 2005)
Role: Evil Inventor
Group Affiliations: None
PL 2 (53)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 9 (+16)
Technology 8 (+15)
Treatment 1 (+8)

Advantages:
Inventor

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Killian sells deadly stuff to TERRORISTS.
Guilt (The Above)- It drives him to suicide.

Total: Abilities: 39 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (53)

-Aldrich Killian is a short-lived inventor who looses the "Extremis" virus on the world. And this guy was oddly used for the third Iron Man movie's villain, despite only having been around since 2005- he was a perfectly-acceptable smarmy villain, but this was the THIRD GUY LIKE THIS in the movie series, so it kinda loses something when Justin Hammer & Obadiah Stane already existed for the same stuff in earlier films. The comic Killian isn't a long-laster, either- he steals a sample of his Extremis virus and sells it to domestic terrorists, but commits suicide following it, saying loosing the virus has a "Greater Purpose". His ally, Maya Hansen, actually gets a lot more play, as she co-develops the Extremis with him, and survives to help Tony (who had injected HIMSELF with the stuff to give him a boost against Extremis-powered villains).
Orbiter

Post by Orbiter »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:04 pm
Orbiter wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:36 pm Hey, Jab, slightly off topic ... or going off on a tangent or something. Have you read Karl Kessel's Section Zero stuff? If not, I recommend it because it's fun. And it vaguely seems like you don't take requests -- did I hear that somewhere?-- but if you enjoyed the series and felt the spontaneous desire to stat everybody up I'm sure no one would stop you.
Never heard of it, no. The Kesels aren't writers I'm overly familiar with.
Oh, you should give it a try. Along with everyone else here who, like me, gripes about comics being no fun anymore. And I know you like the goofy side of things enough that you'd love to stat up a person who turns into an insect hybrid for a day and as such, he's known as "The Twenty-Four Hour Bug".
Jabroniville

Maya Hansen

Post by Jabroniville »

Comics: Where female genius inventors look like smoking hot 20-year olds traced out of a catalogue.

MAYA HANSEN
Created By:
Role: Evil Corporate Shark
Group Affiliations: None
PL 2 (53)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 9 (+16)
Technology 8 (+15)
Treatment 1 (+8)

Advantages:
Inventor

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Maya deliberately helps the Extremis Virus spread in order to ensure her work gets funded.

Total: Abilities: 39 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (53)

-Maya is Aldrich Killians' co-worker, and the co-inventor of the Extremis Virus. She is an old friend of Tony Stark's, and when Killian steals it, she helps Tony recover it. Tony is badly beaten by a terrorist injected with the virus (which empowers people), and convinces Maya to give him the same thing. He beats the villain, but realizes that Killian could not have acted alone. Confronting Myra, Tony gets a confession- she assisted Killian in the crime because she knew it would lead to defense contractors renewing their funding. She justifies her actions by comparing the Extremis serum to the Atom Bomb, saying, "It had to be used once in anger so that it would never be used in anger again." Maya then declares that Tony is no better than she is, to which Iron Man replies, "No. But I'm trying to be... And tomorrow I'll be able to look myself in the mirror.".

-Maya is arrested, but Tony has her released to help him when he feels the vrius is messing with his brain functions. Maya disappears during writer-switches, showing up during Marvel NOW!, kidnapped by A.I.M. to recreate Extrermis for them. She uses a failsafe plan to warn Tony of what's happened, but is killed trying to escape.
Jabroniville

Mallen

Post by Jabroniville »

MALLEN
Created By:
Role: Enhanced Terrorist
PL 10 (161)
STRENGTH
2/10 STAMINA 4/10 AGILITY 2/5
FIGHTING 8/10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Terriorist) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"The Extremis Virus"
Enhanced Strength 8 [16]
Enhanced Stamina 6 [12]
Enhanced Agility 3 [6]
Enhanced Fighting 2 [4]

Speed 4 (30 mph) (4) -- [5]
  • AE: Leaping 2 (60 feet) (2)
Enhanced Advantages 3: All-Out Attack, Eidetic Memory, Power Attack [3]
Senses 3 (Extended Vision & Hearing, Infravision) [3]
Regeneration 12 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [13]

"Electrical Blasts" Blast 10 (Feats: Split) (21) -- [22]
  • AE: "Fire Breath" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (20)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 2173)
Extremis Power +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Blasts +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Fire Breath +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Destroying America)- Mallen wants to kill the U.S. President.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 84 / Defenses: 7 (161)

-Mallen is at the heart of the Extremis story-arc- the Extremis Virus only works on 2.5% of the population, but is given to this random terrorist to prove its effectiveness (and thus secure funding for Aldrich Killian & Maya Hansen). Mallen kills at least fifty civilians and plans to kill the American president, but is stopped by Iron Man, who is forced to kill him after a protracted battle that finally burns out the virus's regenerative capabilities. Mallen points out that Tony had also killed many people as Iron Man (particularly during his escape in his origin story), which Tony admits is true, but that he was defending himself against people he had knowledge of (ie. they were soldiers meant to kill him) while Mallen just kill indiscriminately. Still, Tony admits that Mallen was a perversion of himself- a powerful man who didn't see the future- and that Tony thus had to be the one to stop him. Finally, he curses the villain for forcing him to kill again.

-Mallen is a good example of the sheer power the Extremis Virus gives- it rewrites the entire body, replacing organs and neurons with its own creations. Tony, when given it, gained perfect recall but gave up some powers to better function with his armor- Mallen is just a highly-powerful, volatile brawler with energy blasts.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Its interesing to me that each of Tonys villains in the MCU Stane, Vanko, and Killian were all villains of his own making

Stane was his obliviousness to where his money comes from and what his tech and company does
Vanko was the end result of his fathers mistake but also his own again arrogance
Killian was arrogance as he forgot to treat someone like a human being making a joke out of them

each one came back to hit him in the gut making him relive his worst mistakes to learn and grow
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Shock

Post by Shock »

catsi563 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:39 pm Its interesing to me that each of Tonys villains in the MCU Stane, Vanko, and Killian were all villains of his own making

Stane was his obliviousness to where his money comes from and what his tech and company does
Vanko was the end result of his fathers mistake but also his own again arrogance
Killian was arrogance as he forgot to treat someone like a human being making a joke out of them

each one came back to hit him in the gut making him relive his worst mistakes to learn and grow
I don't agree at all. Tony didn't "make" any of the villains.

1)Tony didn't make Stane a money-grubbing jerk. If anything, that blame lies on Howard Stark because he was the one that put Stane in charge until Tony was old enough to take over himself. Even then Stane knew what he was signing on for and did it anyway with the full intention of stabbing Tony in the back.
2) Anton Vanko tried to stab Howard Stark in the back and sell military secrets on the black market. He got what he deserved and Ivan went after Tony, who had no involvement at all.
3) Killian reacts to getting stood up by Tony (when Tony was with a girl on New Years Eve) by attacking random people and starting a terrorist organization. It may have been triggered by Tony but it's a totally unreasonable response. If everyone who got snarked by Tony Stark turned into a supervillain, the world would be a smoking crater.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Shock wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:32 pm
catsi563 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:39 pm Its interesing to me that each of Tonys villains in the MCU Stane, Vanko, and Killian were all villains of his own making

1)Tony didn't make Stane a money-grubbing jerk. If anything, that blame lies on Howard Stark because he was the one that put Stane in charge until Tony was old enough to take over himself. Even then Stane knew what he was signing on for and did it anyway with the full intention of stabbing Tony in the back.
2) Anton Vanko tried to stab Howard Stark in the back and sell military secrets on the black market. He got what he deserved and Ivan went after Tony, who had no involvement at all.
3) Killian reacts to getting stood up by Tony (when Tony was with a girl on New Years Eve) by attacking random people and starting a terrorist organization. It may have been triggered by Tony but it's a totally unreasonable response. If everyone who got snarked by Tony Stark turned into a supervillain, the world would be a smoking crater.
I have to agreed with Shock. While people might have repurposed Tony's technology for evil ends, the only villain he really created was Ultron, and even that had some mitigating circumstances.

Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Ares wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:51 pm
Shock wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:32 pm

I have to agreed with Shock. While people might have repurposed Tony's technology for evil ends, the only villain he really created was Ultron, and even that had some mitigating circumstances.
You could argue he was indirectly guilty of two of Spider-Man's villains. Somehow he didn't think that setting up Damage Control to take all of the rubble from the New York battle and breaking the contracts of all the people already hired was going to ruin their lives (and those who say "they could have just gone to court" it would be Stark's legal team and the US Government against blue collar guys, would have taken YEARS to just get to a judge), and his dismissal of hologram technology (which is...actually kind of amazing? Why would he just dismiss it?) lead to Mysterio and his crew of disgruntled employees.

For all his growth, Tony was still pretty reckless throughout the entire MCU. Giving away his home address and almost getting Pepper and Maya killed, trying to get Banner to Hulk out on the Helicarrier, putting a kill mode in a teenager's suit (not to mention bringing said teenager to a massive superhero brawl in Europe).

And yeah, there are going to be people who say "well, this guy was already evil to begin with" or "well, you can't blame inaction" but this is comic book logic. Nothing happens in small measures in a comic book universe. You don't get your uncle beat up by a mugger, he gets KILLED by a mugger because you let him go. Boyfriends and girlfriends rarely dump someone, they get killed instead. When someone's house is foreclosed by a bank, you don't just buy the house, you buy the bank. Likewise, when superheroes are dicks, they make supervillains, not just angry Redditors.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Maybe not directly created with intent but his negligence and arrogance is SHOWN to clearly be a reason why each of them either turned on him or went rogue or was allowed to go rogue in stanes case.

Obidiah as example sure he may have intended to take the business to a sell to all sides greed, But was able to do it under Tonys nose because as was shown in the movie Tony was too busy sticking his epeen in anything with a skirt and partying on his plane to care

Killian was someone who tony basically blew off entirely without even a hey sounds great lets talk on monday. again the arrogance comes into play while its understanable at the same time tony partyboy ways end up as part of the mix that drives a man to villainy

Vankos the only one tony doesnt havr a direct hand in arrogance wise but its still his arrogance that Vanko strives to break, hes attacking Iron mans seeming invincibility and he exposes him pretty good
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories