Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz)

Post by Batgirl III »

As I said in my write-up on John Stewart, it was his solo series Green Lantern: Mosiac which was the first Green Lantern comic I ever read. It was introspective, soul-searching, and focused as much on self criticism as it did social criticism and social commentary… and had surprisingly few sequences of good guys in tights punching bad guys in tights.

The first issue in the series I read was Issue #11, cover above and scans available here is filled with scenes that still haunt me to this day. I read the rest of the earlier books in the series after this and then bought each of the rest as they came out.

That issue is John Stewart to me. It’s the standard against which I measure all stories of the Green Lantern Corps. That issue.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Re: Rangers lead the way!

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:13 pm
Stalker originally joined the army as he was seeking a chance to escape from the streets of Detroit. With the Vietnam War raging he didn't want to worry his mother so, with the help of a cousin stationed in Germany, he pretended to be working there and had his mail rerouted. Others in this Long Range Recon Patrol (L.R.R.P.) team would help him make up stories for his letters home. He served with both Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow and their experience made them the close friends.

After their tour, only Stalker stayed in the military, while Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow went on a long sabbatical training in the art of the ninja (which would eventually completely take over the franchise and turn it All Ninja All The Time). Stalker, along with Hawk, would be responsible for selecting the members that would comprise the original Joe team. He was, in effect, serving as second in command to Hawk until Duke came on board.

He appeared in like, two episodes of the cartoon… But was arguably the lead character of the comic book for the first dozen or so issues and regularly appeared as a focus character for almost the entire series (until it became Ninjas! Ninjas! Ninjas! [with special guest Ninjas!] for its final years). Rather annoyingly, I never read the comic until I was in my thirties. Childhood would have been cooler if my friends and I had know one of the most badass Joes was from Detroit!
Stalker was the freaking MAN and easily my favorite character in the comic. Moreso than any other character, he felt like a "regular guy", and I loved that he was a great soldier and tactics guy, but had limitations- he was easily beaten by Storm Shadow and other martial artists, got out-gunned by Serpentor, and not all of his missions went great. But he was really knowledgeable, showed great tactical awareness (like making a zigzag trench and that ambushes were best laid on something OTHER than the "most obvious" location- because people will be expecting that), and more. Also he killed an Orinoco crocodile while discussing its scientific name with the Joes. Fallible, yet bad-ass.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Still love his snipers duel with the evil gulag commander straight up one shot one kill with a look that said im gonna stand here and shoot you and you cant do squat about it
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Say… Has anyone ever seen Stalker and John Stewart in the same room at the same time?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

=>_>= ...no...
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Shock

Post by Shock »

According to this site, there is a Castle Stalker in Scotland that was built by a Sir John Stewart several hundred years ago.

How's that for a coincidence?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Shock wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:23 am According to this site, there is a Castle Stalker in Scotland that was built by a Sir John Stewart several hundred years ago.

How's that for a coincidence?
New head canon unlocked.
Harnos

Re: Fourteen GL’s from Earth and TWO from Detroit. It’s that kinda town.

Post by Harnos »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:28 pm Image
Daniel HDR

DC Comics

SIMON BAZ
Green Lantern Character
Power Level 12 ( 180 PP )

ABILITIES
Strength 3
Stamina 3
Agility 3
Dexterity 3
Fighting 5
Intellect 1
Awareness 5
Presence 2

SKILLS
Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+8), Deception 3 (+5), Expertise [Mechanical Engineering] 5 (+6), Expertise [Streetwise] 4 (+5), Insight 3 (+8), Intimidation 3 (+5), Ranged Combat [Constructs] 6 (+12), Technology 4 (+5), Vehicles 3 (+6)

ADVANTAGES
All-Out Attack, Beginners’ Luck, Defensive Roll (1), Fearless, Improved Initiative (1), Power Attack, Ranged Attack (3), Languages (1), Ultimate Effort [Will Defense]

POWERS
Green Lantern Power Ring Device (95 PP Base; f: Removable [–1 per 5]) [ 76 Total ]
Power Ring Traits
Uniform and Power Battery Feature 2 (Quick Change, Internal Compartment) [ 2 PP ]
Personal Force Field Protection 10 (E: Sustained); Immunity 10 (Life Support) [ 20 PP ]
Flight 10 (2,000 MPH); Movement 3 (Environmental Adaptation [zero-g], Space Travel [2]) [ 26 PP ]
Emerald Sight Senses 4 (Mental: Precognition) [ 4 PP ]

Artificial Intelligence
Scanning Beam and AI Variable 1 (5 PP Traits; F: Limited to Senses); Features 2 (Database, Ring AI); Enhanced Advantages 2 (Eidetic Memory, Well-Informed) [ 10 PP ]
AE: Omniversal Translator Comprehend 4 (Languages: Speak All, Read All, Understand All, and Understood Simultaneously; E: Subtle [2]) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Commlink Communication 5 (Anywhere, Mental; F: Concentration, Limited [Green Lantern Corps]) [ 1 PP ]

Force Constructs
Simple Constructs Create 12 (E: Dynamic) [ 25 PP ]
DAE: Complex Constructs Create 8 (E: Movable, Precise [1]) [ 2 PP ]
DAE: Weapon Constructs Damage 12 (E: Ranged) [ 2 PP ]
DAE: Manipulation Constructs Move Object 8 (E: Sustained, Precise [1]) [ 2 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 7
Parry: (10) Base 5
Fortitude: (8) Base 5
Toughness: (14) Base -
Will: (14) Base 9

WORKSHEET
Attack 8 Effect 3 Total: 11 (Unarmed)
Attack 12 Effect 12 Total: 24 (Weapon Constructs)
Dodge 10 Tough. 14 Total: 24
Parry 10 Tough. 14 Total: 24
Fort. 8 Will 14 Total: 22

ABILITIES [ 50 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 17 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 11 pp ] +
POWERS [ 76 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 26 pp ] =
180 PP TOTAL

A Lebanese-American born in Dearborn but living in Detroit. Baz became the Green Lantern of Earth during the New 52. A life growing up with anti-Muslim and anti-Middle Eastern sentiments around him led to a career as a criminal and carjacker. He gains a Lantern ring during an interrogation by the police, which busts him out of police custody. He tries to prove his innocence when, inevitably, the villains attack and he has to rush off to save the day. Hijinks ensue. Eventually, the charges are dropped when he becomes a member in good standing of the Justice League of America.

Baz is (in)famous for being “the Green Lantern with a gun,” as it was a prominent feature of all the early promotional art for him and even included with his action figure. In his debut issue, his ring lost power during a fight, so he grabbed a nearby a handgun to defend himself. Once he gots his ring recharged, he kept the gun as a backup, in case he was unable use his ring again. He got rid of the gun after gaining more experience as a Lantern and working with the Batman to stop Scarecrow, having decided that he needs to trust his abilities as a Green Lantern over his gun. (With the Batman actually saying he’s one of the only Green Lantern Corps he can tolerate working with.)

Frankly, I find Baz kind of bland as a character. John Stewart already did the disgruntled minority stories, Kyle Rayner did the rookie Lantern stories, Guy did all the gruff anti-hero stories… and why the heck do we need fourteen Green Lanterns from Earth!? But, having said that, I don’t hate the guy and I can appreciate his appeal for younger audiences who didn’t grow up reading the classic Civil Rights era stories about John Stewart.

Plus, you gotta love a guy who refers to his own fists as being made of “Detroit Steel.”
I'm glad I didn't see his gun toting phase. :D Having a back up weapon is smart but a pistol is not just comparable to a GL ring. I didn't read much of him but was able to stop a tsunami from hitting a costal city when colossal and colorful Dr. Manhattan looking guys were conjuring natural disasters with the ring. PL 12 seems a nice fit for him.
Batgirl III

Round One: Fight!

Post by Batgirl III »

Phil Cho

Lady Shiva
DC Comics Character
Power Level 11 ( 180 PP )

Lady Shiva wrote:I believe in letting people do as they wish, as I do myself. Sometimes, of course, what I wish to do is kill them and they do not wish to die. This gives life interest.
ABILITIES
Strength 4
Stamina 6
Agility 6
Dexterity 4
Fighting 10
Intellect 2
Awareness 5
Presence 3

SKILLS
Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 8 (+12), Close Combat [Unarmed] 6 (+16), Deception 5 (+8), Expertise [Martial Arts Styles] 18 (+20), Expertise [Streetwise] 6 (+8), Insight 5 (+10), Intimidation 12 (+15), Investigation 3 (+5), Perception 5 (+10), Persuasion 2 (+5), Stealth 6 (+12), Slight of Hand 2 (+6), Treatment 8 (+10)

ADVANTAGES
Assessment, All-Out Attack, Benefit [Status (1)], Chokehold, Connected, Contacts, Daze [Intimidation], Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (4), Diehard, Fast Grab, Favored Foe [Martial Artists], Improved Critical [Unarmed] (2), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative (2), Improved Trip, Languages (3), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack [Close, Concealment], Redirect, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown (1), Trance, Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

POWERS
Martial Artist Damage 2(Strength-based) [ 2 PP ]
Master of Forms Feature 1 (Assessment Advantage uses Expertise [Martial Arts Styles] in lieu of Insight) [ 1 PP ]
AE of Strength: Dim Mak Affliction 4 (Resist: Fortitude; Recover: Will; Conditions Fatigued and Impaired, Disabled and Exhausted, Incapacitated; Extras: Extra Condition, Progressive, Reversible; Flaws: Inaccurate [1], Limited to Humans, Tiring) [ 1 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (10) Base 4
Parry: (12) Base 2
Fortitude: (8) Base 2
Toughness: (6/10) ——
Will: (12) Base 7

WORKSHEET
Attack: 16 Effect: 6 Total: 22 (Martial Arts)
Attack: 14 Effect: 4 Total: 18 (Dim Mak)
Dodge: 10 Tough: 6/10 Total: 16/20
Parry: 12 Tough: 6/10 Total: 18/22
Fort: 8 Will: 12 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 80 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 46 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 35 pp ] +
POWERS [ 4 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 15 pp ] =
180 PP TOTAL

BACKGROUND
Alias:
Jade Canary, Paper Monkey, Sandra Woosan
Base of Operations: Mobile
Height: 5’8” (1.73 m)
Weight: 141 lbs. (64 kg)
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Notable Relatives: Cassandra Cain/Batgirl III (daughter), Carolyn Wu-San (sister, deceased), O-Sensei (Godfather)
Race/Species: Human
Identity: Public
Status: Citizen of the People’s Republic of China with criminal record.

Lady Shiva, Sandra Wu-San, is possibly the world's greatest martial artist. She has been both a ruthless villain, ruthless anti-villain, and (occasional) anti-heroic vigilante. Her motivations are based purely on what interests her. This has lead her to mentor several other fighters: Richard Dragon, Black Canary, the Question and the Batman. Having dedicated her life to the study of combat, she is a human weapon living for the thrill of a good fight. Her daughter is the vigilante Batgirl III (Cassandra Cain), who she conceived with assassin David Cain as the perfect warrior. She has been involved with the Birds of Prey, the Brotherhood of the Fist, the League of Assassins and the Secret Society of Super-Villains.

Lady Shiva suffers from a similar problem of guys like Persuader of the Fatal Five with his “Atomic Axe” that can cut through anything (and so he never hits anyone), Cottonmouth of the Serpent Society with his jaws that can bite off heads (and so he never bites anyone), or Sabertooth and Wolverine who are master martial artists who can heal any wound (and so despite being master martial artists don’t know how to dodge or block). See… Lady Shiva is routinely hailed in universe as the deadliest martial artist in the entire world. But she’s an evil villain (sometimes an neutral anti-villain ) who mostly either fights mooks (who anyone can beat), villainous jobbers (who anyone can beat), or actual heroes… and she always has to lose to the hero in the end. Narrative demands are a harsh mistress.

So for thirty-odd years, Lady Shiva has existed as something of a “jobber to the stars.” If a writer has a new hero that they want to push and need to establish they have top tier mêlée skills, they bring in Lady Shiva. Only about half the time will the hero getting the push actually definitively win a fight against Shiva (and even rarely will they win “clean” [looking at you Tim]), usually the fight will get interrupted by a greater scope villain or some other delay. Shiva will say something about how she respects the hero’s skill and leave.

Lady Shiva has a rep in universe, so clearly any attempt to adapt her into RPG stats needs to give her stats make it credible… After all, there are numerous instances of Richard Dragon, Bronze Tiger, Black Canary, Batgirl III, Oracle, and the Batman all calling her the deadliest and/or greatest martial artist. Even if we allow for some degree of hyperbole in those statements, it’s a serious rep. But the narrative logic of comics means she usually doesn’t get to win fights against the heroes or inflict permanent death upon any big name bad guys. So, what I’m left with is a slightly over-costed, slightly under-capped, and hyper-focused PL 11.

She’s a serious threat to guys even of the Batman’s caliber, but not an insurmountable obstacle for a clever hero on par with her or even a team of lower tier heroes if they coordinate.

In a straight-up, head-to-head, one-on-one, hand-to-hand fight Lady Shiva is going to dominate anyone who doesn’t have some level of Impervious Toughness, Intangibility, or other defensive superpowers. Shiva lacks any inherent Penetrating attack, so she’d need to acquire a weapon, use a power stunt, or adopt some other tactic if faced with a hardened target (and then she’ll give lower tier heroes with those powers a really rough time).

Lady Shiva also has some issues dealing with crowds. Goodness knows, her to hit modifier and damage DC means she’ll massacre any average Minion she lays a hand on… But with only Takedown (1) and no fancy movement effects, it’s going to take her a while to fight through a gang of goons. Of course, as an Assassin Lady Shiva usually doesn’t waste her time on the hired help. Sneaking or intimidating her way past the goons to go straight after her target.

Lady Shiva is actually kind of bad at stealth. Well, not really. She’s bad at stealth by the standards of the Batman Family, merely being highly capable and not stupefyingly good at vanishing into thin air.

Oh, one last important detail: In the post-Crisis timeline, Lady Shiva grew up in Detroit.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (BattleTech)

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:56 pm How ‘bout this then… We take the standard Charger-1A1, strip out all five Small Lasers, add an extra ton of armor, two battle fists, and stick two Small Pulse Lasers into the center torso.

Two Small Pulse Lasers isn’t great ranged damage, but it’s not something that can be ignored either. By placing them in the Torso, you pretty much have to core the ‘Mech (or head cap it) to take it out of the fight.
As someone who's only played Battletech once or twice, I never really got into the minutia of Mech design or purchased anything myself, given I just played what my friends had. But between you and the Battletech videos on YouTube, I think I have succumbed to the itch to check it out.

So I come to you, oh Sensei Batgirl, to ask what core rulebooks this humble student needs to have the "core" Battletech books. Ideally that'd be the main rule book, some kind of mech builders book like this one, maybe a book focusing on the setting / lore history, if there's some kind of book for the RPG side of thing, etc.

Basically, what are the primary Battletech books I'd need to understand the rules, to have what I need for most mech building options, and what I'd need to know about the setting / rules to run the game either as a wargame or as an RPG. Oh, and if there's a Battletech equivalent of a "Monsters Manual" with the major mechs laid out, that as well.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Post by catsi563 »

FASAS battletech aka mechawarrior RPG has some connections and correlations with the TT min game. the trick is that most of the RPG books deal with the characters and stay on that scale of gameplay you then have to go get the various tech manuals to see the mechs in action so essentially its a lot of main rpg book tech and weapons books setting books then Mecha tech manuals

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’ll be honest, although like any geek in good standing, I’ve been aware of BattleTech for quite a while, I only ever dabbled in it. I’ve recently decided to take a deep dive as it’s seeing a rebound in popularity in my local area (thanks, in large part, to GW kind of imploding).

The absolutely bottom ground floor would be the BattleTech Beginner Box, which has two nice plastic ‘Mechs, a map sheet, and the rules needed for duking it out in ‘Mech on ‘Mech fight. For $25 USD, it’s a great taste.

One small step up for budget, but one giant leap in playability is BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat (“AGofAC”). $60 USD (but I’ve seen it on sale for $50 or even $40) gets you eight ‘Mechs, two map sheets, and all the rules needed for ‘Mech on ‘Mech fighting.

There is also a recently released “Clan Invasion” starter set and an “Alpha Strike” set. The Clan Invasion one has Clan ‘Mechs in it but is otherwise basically the same as AGofAC. “Alpha Strike” on the other hand is almost an entirely different game. Same models, same universe, but gameplay is sort of “zoomed out” to focus on company versus company actions instead of small unit tactics.

Both the Beginner Box and AGofAC have all the rules needed to play ‘Mech only games that only use the most common of weaponry and equipment. The Clan Invasion set has rules for ‘Mech only games (and maybe Elementals?) with all the commonplace equipment and some of the more advanced but still kinda common Clan tech stuff.

BattleTech BattleMech Manual is a rulebook that has everything in it from “introtech” to “lostech” to some of the really obscure stuff… But only for ‘Mech on ‘Mech gameplay. No tanks, no aircraft, no infantry. Just ‘Mechs. Which is the way a significant amount of the player base plays their games anyway, so it makes great sense as a one and done book. It’s $40 USD.

Conversely, BattleTech Total Warfare does exactly what it says on the tin. It’s every-damn-thing. BattleMechs, tanks, infantry, spacecraft, watercraft… Hell, I think there’s rules for trains in there. It’s big, it’s dense, but hoo-boy is it detailed.

If you really, really, really want to jump down the rabbit hole Tactical Operations, Strategic Operations, and Interstellar Operations are the rules for campaigns of ever increasing scale. Be warned, Traveller! Down this pathway lie spreadsheets and advanced mathematics! Beware!

So… Yeah. That’s really about it. There’s a whole library worth of other supplements out there, but they’re mostly all setting background, gameplay scenarios, and the Technical Readout (“TRO”) books that have the stats for all the various units (the same data for which can be found for free online, so these books are largely a legacy of the game’s pre-internet era).

I say grab AGofAC and go.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Will do, and thank you for the help!
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Oh, wait, one last thing before you go… Behold the Ares!

A 135 ton monstrosity of an OmniMech, it has more armor than some many mechs weigh in total… and it’s got guns galore. The model takes up FOUR hexes on the game map.

If you get into the BattleTech hobby, my friend, and you don’t add at least one of these to your collection…