M&M Re-Work

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
CaptainKaulu

M&M Re-Work

Post by CaptainKaulu »

I will be using this thread for a comprehensive touch-up on the M&M system, designed to make it so I can run a good Fantasy campaign using the skeleton of the rules.
CaptainKaulu

Re: M&M Re-Work

Post by CaptainKaulu »

First question: Improved Critical is considered somewhat overpowered, right? I love the ability but I always feel a little cheesy putting it on characters. Would it be balanced at double the current cost?
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

It probably would be. Or you could put a limit on how many ranks you can put in it. 1 or 2 would do.

These replacement Advantages could also help:

Lion-Hearted (Max 3 Ranks): This Advantage gives you a +2 circumstance bonus to resist fear. Two ranks increases the bonus to +5. Three ranks works as per the Fearless advantage from Hero's Handbook. This advantage replaces Fearless.

Will to Live (Max 3 Ranks): if the character is Dying, this Advantage gives them a +2 circumstance bonus to Fortitude rolls to Stabilise. Two ranks increases the bonus to +5. Three ranks works as per the Diehard advantage from Hero's Handbook. This advantage replaces Diehard.
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

betterwatchit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:24 pm It probably would be. Or you could put a limit on how many ranks you can put in it. 1 or 2 would do.

These replacement Advantages could also help:

Lion-Hearted (Max 3 Ranks): This Advantage gives you a +2 circumstance bonus to resist fear. Two ranks increases the bonus to +5. Three ranks works as per the Fearless advantage from Hero's Handbook. This advantage replaces Fearless.

Will to Live (Max 3 Ranks): if the character is Dying, this Advantage gives them a +2 circumstance bonus to Fortitude rolls to Stabilise. Two ranks increases the bonus to +5. Three ranks works as per the Diehard advantage from Hero's Handbook. This advantage replaces Diehard.
Isn't Diehard already a pretty weak Advantage?
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

OK, I've neglected to put my questions or my thoughts on this Thread lately, but the Re-Work is going forward. Let's see if I can post a quick abridgement here and get some actual discussion!
  • Skills cost 1/3 instead of 1/2. Not too controversial.
  • Since Toughness is the most powerful Defense (when taken in a way other than Defensive Roll), it costs 1.5 PP/rank instead of 1 PP/rank. (Cost of Defensive Roll unchanged.)
  • Abilities: Fighting and Dexterity essentially merged. Different Abilities cost different amounts depending on what they give you, a la 1e.
  • Luck is luck points per Quest, not per Scene.
Affliction
Base Save DC 15.
(1st degree failure): Dazed, Entranced, Exhausted, Immobilized, Impaired, Prone, Vulnerable
(3rd degree failure): Defenseless, Disabled, Stunned
(4th degree failure): Compelled*, Incapacitated, Transformed

* Unlike other 4th-degree Affliction conditions, Compelled continues to be Resisted each round; it isn't a longer-term defeat.