Seren's Section

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Seren

Seren's Section

Post by Seren »

Last edited by Seren on Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:54 am, edited 25 times in total.
OwOMotaros

Re: Seren's Section

Post by OwOMotaros »

Awesome! Really liked how your timeline plots out, and can't wait to see how you handle the characters build-wise.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Yep, I'm ready for this. 👍
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Seren

The Batman (Progressing Timeline, 2023)

Post by Seren »

A note on casting the Progressing Timeline universe: To get a better idea of the modern versions of the characters, I wanted to pick out an actor that is an 'accurate' age - allowing for slower aging or time spent in stasis, or similar effects. I'll admit I'm not looking deeply, just for someone I recognize, born the right year, that's at least a pretty good fit. As such, I'm open to suggestions for a better fit.
Tim Drake is a human with nothing affecting his aging. This makes the math easy - he's born in 1972, so so is the actor. Looking through actors born that year, two names stand out - and with some research I learned that both have been cast in a relevant role (not necessary, but is a plus). One as Batman, one as Tim. Debating between them, I think the fact that it feels a little weird picturing him in the batsuit works for the one, and so Ben Affleck loses out to Wil Wheaton.

The Batman (Tim Drake)
ImageImage
(I don't know why Wil's so much larger than Batman. Once I know how, I'll adjust them)
"If you try to hurt my universe, my world, my family. Like so many before you, you will fight, you will fail, and you will fall. You are Judgement. Power. Glory. Fine.
I'm Batman."

PL10 (175p)

Abilities: Strength 3; Agility 2; Dexterity 1; Stamina 3; Fighting 5; Intellect 5; Awareness 4; Presence 7

Defenses: Initiative +2; Dodge +5; Parry +6; Toughness +9 (1 active); Fortitude +8; Will +8

Skills: Acrobatics +10 (8 ranks), Athletics +5 (2 ranks), Close Combat: Unarmed +10 (5 ranks), Close Combat: Staff +11 (4 ranks), Expertise: History +6 (1 rank), Expertise: Sociology +6 (1 rank), Insight +10 (6 ranks), Intimidation +10 (3 ranks), Investigation +10 (5 ranks), Perception +5 (1 rank), Persuasion +10 (3 ranks), Ranged Combat: Batarang +13 (12 ranks), Stealth +10 (8 ranks), Technology +10 (5 ranks), Treatment +6 (1 rank)

Advantages: Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 1, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Defense, Interpose, Set-Up, Startle, Takedown 2, Teamwork
Head of Batman, Inc.: Benefit 4 (Wealth - Wayne Foundation + Batman Inc.), Connected, Contacts, Equipment 1
Team Leader options: Inspire 3, Leadership, Seize Initiative
Staff feats (granted by powers): Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Precise Attack (melee ignores cover), Weapon Bind

Equipment: Restraints, Mini-Tracer, Multi-tool, Cutting Torch [Damage 1 linked to Weaken Toughness 1]

Powers:
Team Leader (2p)
  • Enhanced Trait [Luck Control 1 (Bestow HP or Luck; Extra: Reversible; Flaw: Limited to granting to the Batman, Free Action); Extra: Affects Others (+0), Perception Area]
Batsuit (17p)
  • Protection 5
  • Installed Upgrades (power-backed equipment) [Removable]: Camo Clothing, Flash Goggles, Night Vision Goggles, Rebreather, Universal Translator (Comprehend 1 [Understand all languages; Flaw: Activation (move)])
  • ORACLE Uplink 3 [Radio; Extra: Subtle 2; Flaw: Bat-Family / Birds of Prey only, Increased action (standard)]
  • Cape [Flight 2 (120'; Extra: Subtle 2; Flaw: Gliding, Platform)]
Bo Staff [Easily Removable, Array] (9p)
  • Damage 6 [Str-based; Extra: Accurate, Reach 2]
  • Deflect 7 [Extra: Reflect, Reach 2; Flaw: Reduced Range]
  • Pole [Movement 4; Leaping 2 (Flaw: Acrobatics required)]
    • Safe Fall [walls only, Athletics required] + Wall-crawling [walls only, Safe Fall only]
    • Sure-footed 2
    • Trackless
Batarangs [Removable, Array] (16p)
  • Steel: Damage 5 [Extra: Increased Range, Multiattack]
  • Smoke: Visual Concealment 2 [Extra: Area (15' cloud), Attack, Ranged]
  • Flash: Affliction 5 [vs. Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Unaware; Extra: Area (30' burst), Cumulative, Ranged; Flaw: Vision only]
  • Tear Gas: Affliction 7 [vs. Fort; Impaired & Dazed/Disabled & Stunned/Incapacitated; Extra: Area (15' cloud), Extra Condition, Ranged; Flaw: Vision only]
  • Taser: Affliction 7 [vs. Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated; Extra: Ranged]
  • Bolo: Affliction 5 [vs. Dodge; Hindered & Vulnerable/Immobile & Defenseless; Extra: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Ranged; Flaw: Limited Degree]
Cost-
Abilities: 60 + Defense: 13 + Skills: 35 + Advantages: 23 + Power: 44 = 175 points

Motivation:
Doing Good. Ultimately, Timothy Drake wants to make Gotham, and thus the world, a better place.
Complications:
Fame/Responsibility. The Batman is no longer just a name whispered in the dark, draining funds from the Wayne fortune. He is the face of a company that more than funds itself, so must interact with the world differently than his predecessors.
Honor. Tim Drake maintains the Code Against Killing that Dick established.
Relationship. More than other Batmen, Tim relies on the people around him in both identities. Just within Gotham, Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, and Damian al Ghul are as much as family, while he maintains a friendlier position with the members of the Justice League than Dick or Bruce did.

Build Notes:
As I was putting this in, I'm less certain on the abilities/defenses/skills; they may change, particularly as I work on the other Batmen. I wanted to get this started, though, so this is the current version.
Team Leader is the weird power specifically to focus on Tim's strength - if I have it right, here's how the power works: Once per turn, anyone that he's able to perceive may give him one Hero Point or use of their Luck. He may then use that normally, although if unused, they can take it back as a free action on their turn. Essentially, others make him better able to make others better.

Installed Upgrades is (mostly) basic equipment, but purchased for the cost of powers, so less prone to being countered. Removable means that they will occasionally be targeted, but either rarely or only if The Batman's already down - but can be done at no further benefit.

Between the Cape and Bo Staff, Tim Drake can make amazing use of Hide in Plain Sight - with a 30' jump and 120' glide, he's almost guaranteed to be in movement range of some sort of shadow or cover, particularly in Gotham.
That said, the staff gets a bit weird - the Safe Fall + Wall-crawling option is the unusual one. With an Athletics check, Tim can lodge his staff in a wall and use it to stop himself from falling, but can only climb normally.

Background
Born in 1972, Timothy Drake grew up in a Gotham without Batman. Instead, his city's primary protector was Nightwing, and she made quite the impression on the young child. Fascinated by the heroes of Gotham, Tim began piecing together Batman's identity while in high school and managed to identify Dick Grayson by the time he graduated. This would have a major impact on his life, as Dick agreed to take him on as Robin.

Tim's time as Robin was short but eventful, as the world undergoes major changes during this time - the UN expands to include the Amazons and Atlantis, Superman dies, and on a more local scale, the biggest breakout of Arkham Asylum occurs. Tim is forced to take up the responsibility - though not the name - of Batman after Dick's fight with Bane. After his return, the mantle of Batman was officially passed to Tim himself.

As The Batman, Timothy Drake was well aware that he didn't have nearly the training of either Dick or Bruce - they started a decade earlier, after all - but he had more people to turn to for help. He began with providing funding to Barbara's ORACLE program and slowly recruiting others who were talented enough to keep pace and operating in Gotham so that none would have to be pushed as hard as Dick once had.
A couple years later, Tim and Stephanie Brown would begin a relationship that eventually leads into her becoming the next Robin as the duo becomes more of an equal partnership than prior Batman and Robins. By 2009, the origins of Batman Inc had been gathered as Jason Todd, Cassandra Cain, and Damian al Ghul had all joined the team.

As of 2023, events are more roughly outlined but things of note:
- The Batman is due for a major change this year, along the lines of passing the mantle or changing stories told for the next 5-15 years. The more I consider it, the more I like the idea that his time is ending, however.
- Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown were in a relationship for about 6 years before she became Robin and 5 years later, she's still part of the group. Personally, I say they're still together, but it's an easy enough drop if it ties into the world better.
- Damian al Ghul, the current Robin, was revived in 2014. Until I work out what the al Ghuls have been up to, and specifically the effect the Lazarus Pit has on him, I don't want to confirm him as being back. That said, it's been 9 years, so he could have been back for a while now.
Last edited by Seren on Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seren

Supergirl (Progressing Timeline, 2023)

Post by Seren »

Casting: Kara Zor-El is a Kryptonian with major gaps in her timeline. By using her and Superman as standard examples of Kryptonian physiology, I found no need to keep their natural longevity (and immortality is right out). As such, once the gaps are allowed for, the math is just as easy for Supergirl as it was for The Batman.
She's born in 1875, but allowing for her travel time to Earth (71 years) and the effects of Crisis on Infinite Earths (19 years), only 58 years have passed for her. As such, I'm looking for an actor born in 1965. Looking through gave some options, but I kept going back to one in particular - Embeth Davidtz.

Supergirl (Kara Zor-El)
ImageImage
"My name is Kara Zor-El, the Last Daughter of Krypton. My parents sent me to Earth to save my life. But as Supergirl, I choose to do more than survive. I choose to have hope. I choose to inspire and to be inspired. I choose to fight so that today will be better than yesterday. And I choose to believe that together, we can build a brighter, better future. I have to. After all… I’m the Girl of Tomorrow!”
PL10 (186p)

Abilities: Strength 12 [2]; Agility 1; Dexterity 2; Stamina 12 [1]; Fighting 5; Intellect 3; Awareness 4; Presence 3

Defenses: Initiative +9; Dodge +6; Parry +6; Toughness +12 [Impervious 9]; Fortitude +12 [Impervious 9]; Will +8

Skills: Athletics +14 (2 ranks), Close Combat: Unarmed +8 (3 ranks), Expertise: History +8 (5 ranks), Expertise: Journalism +8 (5 ranks), Expertise: Psychology +5 (2 ranks), Insight +8 (4 ranks), Investigation +9 (6 ranks), Perception +11 (7 ranks), Ranged Combat: Heat Vision +10 (8 ranks)

Advantages: All-out Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Grab, Improvised Weapon, Interpose, Languages [English; Native: Kryptonian], Luck, Ultimate Resistance [Will], Well-informed
Super-speed feats (granted by powers): Favored Environment (airborne), Improved Initiative 2, Move-by Action

Powers: {Kryptonian Physiology; Powered by Yellow Sun}
Enhanced Strength 4 + 6 = 10
Enhanced Stamina 5 + 6 = 11
Impervious Toughness 6 + 3 = 9
Impervious Fortitude 6 + 3 = 9
Enhanced Advantages 4 [Improved Initiative 2, Move-by Action, Favored Environment (airborne)]
Immunity 4 [starvation and thirst, need for sleep, environmental radiation, environmental vacuum]

Healing 9 [Extra: Action (move); Flaw: Self only, Source (sunlight), Limited degree 2 (no more than one success)] (3p)
Senses 17 [Infravision, Microscopic 4 (atomic), Penetrates Concealment 4 (Flaw: blocked by lead), Radio (visual; trade radius for accurate), Extended 3; Ultra-hearing, Extended 3] (15p)

Leaps Tall Buildings [11p Array]
  • Land-bound:
    • Leaping 7 [900'] (7p)
    • Speed 4 [60mph] (4p)
  • Airborne:
    • Flight 5 [120mph; Extra: Subtle] (11p)
Breath Control [16p Array]
  • Sprint:
    • Speed 11 (11p)
    • Quickness 5 (5p)
  • Flying:
    • Enhanced Flight 12 [Flaw: Distracted] (12p)
    • Movement 2 [Space Travel 2] (4p)
  • Heat Vision: Damage 8 [Extra: Ranged] (16p)
  • Super-breath: Move Object 15 [Extra: Area (60' cone), Subtle (severe wind); Flaw: Close Range, Limited Direction (attraction/repulsion)] (16p)
  • Cold Breath:
    • Affliction 10 [Fortitude vs. Dazed/Immobile; Extra: Area (60' cone), Linked to Environment; Flaw: Limited Degree] (10p)
    • Environment 1 [30' area; Cold, Impede Movement 2; Extra: Continuous, Linked to Affliction, Selective; Flaw: Quirk (affliction area)] (4p)

Cost-
Abilities: 42 + Defense: 10 + Skills: 21 + Advantages: 13 + Power: 110 = 186 points

Motivation:
Doing Good. Supergirl is, and remains, the idealist who inspires idealists. She will do what she can to do what's right. She can just do a lot.
Complications:
Accident Although she's gotten better over the years, when Supergirl lets loose, the situation gets more volatile.
Power Loss (sunlight) While under a red sun (or otherwise unable to absorb the energy from a yellow star), Supergirl loses all powers Powered by a Yellow Sun.
Power Loss (magic) While not actually lost, Kara's Kryptonian Physiology does not improve her defenses against magic.
Responsibility Kara's desire to do good is closely tied to being the last survivor of her planet and her cousin having established himself as one of Earth's greatest heroes in memory of her.
Secret: Identity Kara's identity is an open secret, having disappeared for 20 years at the same time as a major superhero with both returning to the same city. Anything requiring legal documentation is likely aware of who she is, but in personal situations, she still attempts to maintain a divide.
Weakness As a Kryptonian, Supergirl is vulnerable to the radiation produced by Kryptonite. Exposure applies a penetrating Weaken effect to all powers based on her Kryptonian Physiology, including those Powered by a Yellow Sun. This effect may cause her to lose all power points from these traits and does not recover while still exposed. Continued exposure applies an equivalent Damage effect.

Build Notes:
I like the idea of having Kryptonians being slightly superheroic even when they can't make use of the sun, and it seems there are some comics that suggest this is the case. If absolutely nothing else, it's an explanation for the change from just being able to leap over buildings to full-blown flight.
Without the energy of the Sun, Supergirl's still a PL7 brick with a minor trade-off toward Will - she's been significantly trained, so can still be a threat to her equally powered opponents while also being in serious trouble if any start to get hits in.

I really like the balance of Flight vs. Speed - in normal situations, she's automatically able to pass the Athletics check, so can freely choose to move 120mph over land or through the air while using her super-breath or heat vision. Over more significant distances, the distracted flaw makes it reasonable for her to stick to the ground - but Supergirl's not that much worse off in the air and is used to just shaking off hits.
I'm not a huge fan of faster-than-light travel for this reality, but haven't worked out the alternative yet.

I debated how to do a regeneration effect. I like what I ended up with, as it means that anyone fighting her has to either keep her on her toes or just be so much stronger that they're beating a +12 Toughness by 5+ each round. I'll have to see how it works out, but that feels right.
For 1 less point, it becomes more reasonable, dropping the Move Action and requiring a check (that fails on a 1).
For 1 more point, it becomes more dangerous, improving to a Free Action and requiring a check (that only fails on a 1).

Background
Born on Krypton in what would be the year 1875, Kara Zor-El grew up on a doomed planet with many scientists in the family. Aware of its imminent destruction and tasked with caring for and protecting her young cousin Kal-El, Kara was placed into suspended animation and sent off to an alien planet roughly 27 light-years away.

Upon arrival, Kara began to search for Kal-El, slowly learning of the powers she would develop as she spent time under the yellow sun of Earth. While searching, she began to hear of a local superhero group, the Justice League of America and learned of a hero with powers nearly identical to what she was developing. After seeking out this Superman, Kara learned that he was in fact her cousin and had landed nearly half a century prior.
The Kents helped Kara get set up with the Danvers and she attended high school while starting to make a name for herself as Supergirl. Shortly after, Supergirl first met NIghtwing and they began getting to know one another, although Batman's retirement created a bit of a divide as her attention was drawn deeper into Gotham.

Kara continued working with infrequent team-ups until 1984, when the Justice League restarted from the ground up. It's Kal-El's endorsement that convinced her to join, although the scale and role was far beyond what she had ever done. Superman agreed to continue as a member until she had the training needed and the two worked together over the next year.

In 1985, at the culmination of Crisis on Infinite Earths, Kara Zor-El died. Or rather, would have, as a bubble of time was ripped apart (primarily in 2006) and tore time such that she had nearly died. This tear, however, pulled Kara into 2004, where she would learn of her cousin's death, Nightwing's rise as Oracle, and many other changes in the world.

As of 2023, the roughly outlined notes include:
- Part of the original idea was removing revival; I feel removing Supergirl's return, particularly in a world without Superman, starts too many butterflies to keep track of. As it's so tied to temporal shenanigans, I'm sticking to it pulling up to one person per major grouping forward in time when they would die and this having a life-changing effect on the character.
- As I can include both Superman and Supergirl events here, they were the second group I added to the timeline, and so little seems to strongly need a specific timeframe from what came before, there's a lot of gap for Supergirl. Specifically, there's some Major Change between 2009 and 2019. I know of a couple options, but I've heavily leaning toward the Red Daughter storyline in 2015. It's got more of a time gap than I'd like, which means details would definitely change.
- On the one hand, she's not a teenager, she's 50. On the other, there's enough of a divide between the time she's had to grieve and how long the world's had that I did the math. Superman died 21 years ago, but it's only been half that time for her (and 5 years ago was when the Bat-Family established, doubling her friend's family). While happy for them, I'd expect it to sting a little. Even more, she was on Krypton 40 years ago. A human her age might have had a grandparent alive when it blew up; they probably had a great-grandparent who was.
Last edited by Seren on Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The yellow text is a bit hard to read on the blue background of the forums.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Seren

Post by Seren »

Thanks for letting me know. I adjusted it from the default yellow to try to make it more reasonable, but wasn't sure.
Changed it to red for now, as a 'the color that removes it'.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Seren wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:22 am Changed it to red for now, as a 'the color that removes it'.
That's much more legible. Thank you.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Seren

Post by Seren »

Wishiwashi (Solo)
PL 2 (23 points)
Size Rank -4; Mass Rank -6; Speed Rank -1 (15')

Abilities: Strength -3, Stamina -1, Agility -1, Dexterity -1, Fighting -3, Intellect -2, Awareness -1, Presence -2

Defenses: Initiative -1, Dodge -1, Parry -2, Toughness +3, Fortitude +1, Will +1

Skills: Intimidation -6 (0 ranks), Stealth +9 (0 ranks)

Powers-
8", 0.7 lbs {Shrinking 10 [Extra: Normal Strength 2, Innate; Flaw: Permanent]} (23p)
Water-type {Immunity 20 [Fire, Ice, Steel, Water Damage effects; Extra: Innate; Flaw: Half effect]} (11p)
High Health {Protection 4 [Extra: Innate; Flaw: Permanent]} (5p)

Growl {Enhanced Stamina 1} (2p)
Tearful Look {Enhanced Stamina 1, Enhanced Awareness 1} (4p)

Aqua Ring {Regeneration 2 [-1 penalty every 5th round; Extra: Continuous (+1); Flaw: Standard Action (-2)]} (1p)

Attack Array {8 point Array; Extra: Accurate, Alternate Effect 3} (12p)
BP: Water Gun {Int-based Damage 5 [Water-type; Extra: Ranged; Flaw: Limited 2 to fire/ground/rock]} (8p)
(PL 2 attack; +1 to hit, DC 16 / 18)
AP: Double-Edge {Str-based Damage 6 [Normal-type; Extra: Accurate; Flaw: Side-effect (Damage 2, always; -1)]} (4p)
(PL 2 attack; +1 to hit, DC 18)
AP: Uproar {Int-based Damage 4 [Normal-type; Extra: Linked to Sleep Immunity Burst, Range; Flaw: Limited (must repeat on hit)] + Immunity 1 [need for sleep; Extra: Area (30' burst), Attack]} (6p)
(PL 2 attack; +1 to hit, DC 17)
AP: Helping Hand {Variable 2 [10p; Extra: Affects Others only; Flaw: Instant Duration (-2), Limited (Enhanced Damage only), Limited (no more than half ranks)]} (6p)

Cost-
Abilities: -30 + Defenses: -5 + Skills: 0 + Advantages: 0 + Powers: 58 = 23 points

Build note: The pokemon in this section side heavier on deciding their PL based on the game mechanics than their description. What side effects this has on the world will be discussed as more come.

One of the three fish in the PL1 creature tier by stats, Wishiwashi are among the weakest creatures in the Pokemon World, and definitely the weakest that don't evolve. While their physical and mental capabilities make people consider them harmless, a Wishiwashi's attacks push it into the level of a minor pest. While one may cause some damage, these make the news more due to the rarity of the event - however, when being sought in groups, serious precautions must be taken as a school of these creatures is on par with a natural disaster. As such, drawing the ire of a full school is a dangerous proposal and likely to be remembered for generations.

With further training, a Wishiwashi that reaches higher Power Level limits can spend its points on more effective moves:
  • Dive {Str-based Damage 10 [Water-type; Extra: Accurate; Flaw: Limited (must aim), Limited 4 (vs. fire, ground, or rock only)] (6p)
    This is a PL 4 attack, and may be added to the array for 1 point
  • Aqua Tail [Str-based Damage 10 [Water-type; Extra: Accurate; Flaw: Limited 4 (vs. fire, ground, or rock only)] (9p)
    This is a PL 4 attack, and may be added to the array for 2 points, increasing the Attacks array by 1 point (reducing the cost and modification of Hydro Pump and Brine by -1)
  • Hydro Pump [Int-based Damage 12 [Water-type; Extra: Ranged; Flaw: Limited 5 (vs. fire, ground, or rock only)] (19p)
    This is a PL 6 attack, and may be added to the array for 12 points, increasing the Attacks array by 11 points. Aqua Tail and Brine may be added for 1 point each and do not affect the rank of the Attacks array.
  • Brine [Int-based Damage 15 [Water-type; Extra: Ranged; Flaws: Limited 4 (vs. -3 or greater Toughness penalty), Limited 3 (vs. fire, ground, or rock only), Limited 3 (vs. fire, ground, or rock with -3 or greater Toughness penalty only)] (19p)
    This is a PL 7 attack, and may be added to the array for 12 points, increasing the Attacks array by 11 points. Aqua Tail and Hydro Pump may be added for 1 point each and do not affect the rank of the Attacks array.
  • Soak {Affliction 12 [Extra: Accurate, Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Linked to Apply Water-type; Flaw: Limited Degree 2 (Transform on two failures only), Limited to removing type-based immunities] + Apply Water-type {Immunity 20 (Fire, Ice, Steel, Water Damage effects; Extra: Innate; Flaw: Half effect); Extra: Attack} (15p)
    This is a PL 7 attack, and should be kept separate from the array due to the ongoing effect of the transformation. As such, the full 15 points need to be paid to learn this.
  • Wishiwashi are capable of learning Beat Up and Endeavor, but I haven't worked out the mechanics for it
In addition, if able to reach Power Level 17, a Wishiwashi can gather a school to reach the threat level of a Mega Pokemon. For a base cost of 104 points, a lone Wishiwashi gains the Schooling Ability, an Alternate Form power that allows it to take on the statistics of the Wishiwashi School. As a complication, usually in response to damage, the school can be dispersed causing the Wishiwashi to return to its solo form.
Last edited by Seren on Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Seren wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:04 am Wishiwashi (Solo)
PL 2 (23 points)

Abilities: Strength -3, Stamina -1, Agility -1, Dexterity -1, Fighting -3, Intellect -2, Awareness -1, Presence -2

Defenses: Initiative -1, Dodge -1, Parry -2, Toughness +3, Fortitude +1, Will +1

Skills: Intimidation -6 (0 ranks), Stealth +9 (0 ranks)

Powers-
8", 0.7 lbs {Shrinking 10 [Extra: Normal Strength 2, Innate; Flaw: Permanent]} (23p)
Water-type {Immunity 20 [Fire, Ice, Steel, Water Damage effects; Extra: Innate; Flaw: Half effect]} (11p)

Aqua Ring {Regeneration 2 [-1 penalty every 5th round; Extra: Continuous (+1); Flaw: Standard Action (-2)]} (1p)

Attack Array {8 point Array; Extra: Accurate, Alternate Effect 3} (12p)
BP: Water Gun {Int-based Damage 5 [Water-type; Extra: Ranged; Flaw: Limited 2 to fire/ground/rock]} (8p)
(PL 2 attack; +1 to hit, DC 16 / 18)
AP: Double-Edge {Str-based Damage 6 [Normal-type; Extra: Accurate; Flaw: Side-effect (Damage 2, always; -1)]} (4p)
(PL 2 attack; +1 to hit, DC 18)
AP: Uproar {Int-based Damage 4 [Normal-type; Extra: Linked to Sleep Immunity Burst, Range; Flaw: Limited (must repeat on hit)] + Immunity 1 [need for sleep; Extra: Area (30' burst), Attack]} (6p)
(PL 2 attack; +1 to hit, DC 17)
AP: Helping Hand {Variable 2 [10p; Extra: Affects Others only; Flaw: Instant Duration (-2), Limited (Enhanced Damage only), Limited (no more than half ranks)]} (6p)

Cost-
Abilities: -30 + Defenses: -5 + Skills: 0 + Advantages: 0 + Powers: 58 = 23 points

Build note: The pokemon in this section side heavier on deciding their PL based on the game mechanics than their description. What side effects this has on the world will be discussed as more come.

One of the three fish in the PL1 creature tier by stats, Wishiwashi are among the weakest creatures in the Pokemon World, and definitely the weakest that don't evolve. While their physical and mental capabilities make people consider them harmless, a Wishiwashi's attacks push it into the level of a minor pest. While one may cause some damage, these make the news more due to the rarity of the event - however, when being sought in groups, serious precautions must be taken as a school of these creatures is on par with a natural disaster. As such, drawing the ire of a full school is a dangerous proposal and likely to be remembered for generations.

With further training, a Wishiwashi that reaches higher Power Level limits can spend its points on more effective moves:
  • Dive {Str-based Damage 10 [Water-type; Extra: Accurate; Flaw: Limited (must aim), Limited 4 (vs. fire, ground, or rock only)] (6p)
    This is a PL 4 attack, and may be added to the array for 1 point
  • Aqua Tail [Str-based Damage 10 [Water-type; Extra: Accurate; Flaw: Limited 4 (vs. fire, ground, or rock only)] (9p)
    This is a PL 4 attack, and may be added to the array for 2 points, increasing the Attacks array by 1 point (reducing the cost and modification of Hydro Pump and Brine by -1)
  • Hydro Pump [Int-based Damage 12 [Water-type; Extra: Ranged; Flaw: Limited 5 (vs. fire, ground, or rock only)] (19p)
    This is a PL 6 attack, and may be added to the array for 12 points, increasing the Attacks array by 11 points. Aqua Tail and Brine may be added for 1 point each and do not affect the rank of the Attacks array.
  • Brine [Int-based Damage 15 [Water-type; Extra: Ranged; Flaws: Limited 4 (vs. -3 or greater Toughness penalty), Limited 3 (vs. fire, ground, or rock only), Limited 3 (vs. fire, ground, or rock with -3 or greater Toughness penalty only)] (19p)
    This is a PL 7 attack, and may be added to the array for 12 points, increasing the Attacks array by 11 points. Aqua Tail and Hydro Pump may be added for 1 point each and do not affect the rank of the Attacks array.
  • Soak {Affliction 12 [Extra: Accurate, Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Linked to Apply Water-type; Flaw: Limited Degree 2 (Transform on two failures only), Limited to removing type-based immunities] + Apply Water-type {Immunity 20 (Fire, Ice, Steel, Water Damage effects; Extra: Innate; Flaw: Half effect); Extra: Attack} (15p)
    This is a PL 7 attack, and should be kept separate from the array due to the ongoing effect of the transformation. As such, the full 15 points need to be paid to learn this.
In addition, if able to reach Power Level 17, a Wishiwashi can gather a school to reach the threat level of a Mega Pokemon. For a base cost of 104 points, a lone Wishiwashi gains the Schooling Ability, an Alternate Form power that allows it to take on the statistics of the Wishiwashi School. As a complication, usually in response to damage, the school can be dispersed causing the Wishiwashi to return to its solo form.
Cool, didn't expect you to release any Pokémon builds! Reminded me to get around to my own...
Seren

Post by Seren »

Wishiwashi (School)
PL 17 (128 points)
Size Rank 8; Mass Rank 2; Speed Rank 0 (30')

Abilities: Strength 9, Stamina 10, Agility -2, Dexterity -2, Fighting 9, Intellect 9, Awareness 9, Presence 9

Defenses: Initiative -2, Dodge +18, Parry +18, Toughness +12, Fortitude +10, Will +9

Skills: Close Combat: Double-Edge +18 (1 rank), (+1 rank)

Powers-
26' 11", 173.3 lbs {Elongation 8 [Extra: Innate; Flaw: Permanent]} (9p)

Attack Array {15 point Array; Extra: Accurate 3, Alternate Effect 3} (21p)
BP: Water Gun {Int-based Damage 5 [Water-type; Extra: Accurate 7, Ranged; Flaw: Limited 2 to fire/ground/rock]} (15p)
(PL 17 attack; +18 to hit, DC 29 / 31)
AP: Double-Edge {Str-based Damage 6 [Normal-type; Extra: Accurate 2; Flaw: Side-effect (Damage 10, always; -1)]} (5p)
(PL 17 attack; +18 to hit, DC 30)
+: Aqua Tail {Str-based Damage 10 [Water-type; Flaw: Limited 4 to fire, ground, or rock only)]} (8p)
(PL 17 attack; +15 to hit, DC 30 / 34)
AP: Uproar {Int-based Damage 4 [Normal-type; Extra: Accurate 7, Linked to Sleep Immunity Burst, Range; Flaw: Limited (must repeat on hit)] + Immunity 1 [need for sleep; Extra: Area (30' burst), Attack]} (13p)
(PL 16 attack; +18 to hit, DC 28)
AP: Helping Hand {Variable 5 [25p; Extra: Affects Others only; Flaw: Instant Duration (-2), Limited (Enhanced Damage only), Limited (no more than half ranks)]} (15p)

Cost-
Abilities: 48 + Defenses: 31 + Skills: 1 + Advantages: 0 + Powers: 48 = 128 points

Having gathered a sizeable number of allies, a Wishiwashi school is considered to be one of the most dangerous threats most people will ever encounter. They are on par with Legendaries and Mega Pokemon, who are only able to hold their form for a limited amount of time - even Pokemon trained for professional fights should expect to work as a team to face one.
Like their individual members, however, a school's attacks make it even more powerful, allowing it to compete with Pokemon that consider humans to be of no concern.

With further training, a Wishiwashi school that reaches higher Power Level limits can spend its points on even more effective moves:
  • Hydro Pump [Int-based Damage 12 [Water-type; Extra: Accurate 5, Ranged; Flaw: Limited 5 (vs. fire, ground, or rock only)] (24p)
    This is a PL 18 attack, and may be added to the array for 10 points, increasing the Attacks array by 9 points. Brine may be added for 2 points and only increases the array by 1 point.
    This is a PL 19 attack, and may be added to the array for 1 point
    The free skill rank included in the build is intended to be used for this attack to reach specific totals
  • Brine [Int-based Damage 15 [Water-type; Extra: Accurate 7, Ranged; Flaws: Limited 4 (vs. -3 or greater Toughness penalty), Limited 3 (vs. fire, ground, or rock only), Limited 3 (vs. fire, ground, or rock with -3 or greater Toughness penalty only)] (26p)
    This is a PL 20 attack, and may be added to the array for 12 points, increasing the Attacks array by 11 points. Hydro Pump may be added for 1 point and does not affect the rank of the Attacks array.
  • Soak {Affliction 28 [Extra: Accurate 3, Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Linked to Apply Water-type; Flaw: Limited Degree 2 (Transform on two failures only), Limited to removing type-based immunities] + Apply Water-type {Immunity 20 (Fire, Ice, Steel, Water Damage effects; Extra: Innate; Flaw: Half effect); Extra: Attack} (17p)
    This is a PL 22 attack, and should be kept separate from the array due to the ongoing effect of the transformation. As such, the full 17 points need to be paid to learn this.
  • Wishiwashi are capable of learning Beat Up and Endeavor, but I haven't worked out those moves
As a complication, usually in response to damage, the school can be dispersed causing the Wishiwashi to return to its solo form.
Last edited by Seren on Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seren

Post by Seren »

OwOMotaros wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:08 am Cool, didn't expect you to release any Pokémon builds! Reminded me to get around to my own...
Thanks! It's one of those I've been wanting to do, but the idea of over 1,000 species was a bit daunting.
I've always found the height/weight an interesting aspect that's rarely explored, and thought having a formula for the abilities and defenses would make the rest seem more reasonable, hence going more game-centric. Then there's some things that I was surprised by in doing so - like Arceus being the only one in its Power Level.
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Seren wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:50 am
OwOMotaros wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:08 am Cool, didn't expect you to release any Pokémon builds! Reminded me to get around to my own...
Thanks! It's one of those I've been wanting to do, but the idea of over 1,000 species was a bit daunting.
I've always found the height/weight an interesting aspect that's rarely explored, and thought having a formula for the abilities and defenses would make the rest seem more reasonable, hence going more game-centric. Then there's some things that I was surprised by in doing so - like Arceus being the only one in its Power Level.
Can't wait to see it.
Seren

Post by Seren »

Magikarp
PL 1 (14 points)
Size Rank -3; Mass Rank -1; Speed Rank 0 (30'), 2 (120') in rain

Abilities: Strength -4, Stamina 0, Agility 3 [11 in rain], Dexterity 3 [11 in rain], Fighting -4, Intellect -3, Awareness -3, Presence -3

Defenses: Initiative +3 [11 in rain], Dodge -1, Parry +2, Toughness -1, Fortitude +2, Will -1

Skills: Close Combat: Tackle +1 (1 rank), Intimidation -4 (0 ranks), Stealth +7 [+11 in rain] (0 ranks), (+1 rank)

Powers-
2' 11", 22 lbs {Shrinking 4 [Extra: Normal Strength 1, Innate; Flaw: Permanent]} (12p)
Low Health {Reduced Protection 4 [Extra: Innate; Flaw: Permanent]} (0p)

Ability: Swift Swim {Enhanced Agility 8 [Flaw: Reduced Dodge 8, Reduced Stealth 4] + Enhanced Dexterity 8 + Speed 2 [Flaw: Permanent]; Flaw: Limited (when raining)} (7p)

Splash {Enhanced Trait 1 [Unreliable on Strength; Flaw: Permanent]} (-1p)

Attack Array {2 point Array; Extra: Accurate 2} (4p)
BP: Tackle {Str-based Damage 2 [Normal-type]} (2p)
(PL 0 attack; +1 to hit, DC 13)

Cost-
Abilities: -22 + Defenses: 2 + Skills: 1 + Advantages: 0 + Powers: 33 = 14 points

Build note: Magikarp is completely ridiculous. Both its abilities need to include special reductions, because otherwise, its Power Level increases multiple levels on the Stealth skill alone. Its default, Swift Swim, suggests Magikarp is on par with starters. I may revisit it as I look at the impact of abilities that double other stats.
This also requires negative point cost powers - it's too healthy for what toughness Magikarp should have, and Splash makes the existing strength unreliable but with Magikarp's level, should probably only be worth 0.5 points.

The original generic weak fish, Magikarp is the first to earn its PL 1 rating. Although recognized as a solid professional choice when evolved, Magikarp manage to be even less dangerous than they appear. Studies have suggested that should a Magikarp learn to attack at range, it would be a nightmare, but this has never been proven as they seem to evolve before learning additional attacks.

Some trainers have learned that a Magikarp trained sufficiently can develop a more effective move, although it is risky:
  • Flail {Str-based Damage 10 [Normal-type; Flaw: Need toughness penalty (1 rank free; 2 ranks w/-1; 4 ranks w/-2; 5 ranks w/-3; 7 ranks w/-4; 10 ranks w/-5)]} (5p)
    This is a PL 4 attack, and may be added to the array for 4 points, increasing the Attack array by 3 points
    The free skill rank in this build is intended to be used for this attack
    When Magikarp has -2 penalty to Toughness checks or worse, this attack becomes a better option than Tackle
Some Magikarp have developed a fear response in place of the more common weather adaptation. These replace the Ability: Swift Swim power for Ability: Rattled, costing 3 more points (for 17 total).
  • Ability: Rattled {Enhanced Agility 6 [Extra: Reaction (being hit by Bug, Dark, or Ghost Damage, or facing an opponent with Ability: Intimidate); Flaw: Limited (one rank per trigger, -1), Reduced Stealth 2] (10p)
Last edited by Seren on Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seren

Post by Seren »

Feebas
PL 1 (16 points)
Size Rank -3; Mass Rank -1; Speed Rank 0 (30'), 2 (120') in rain

Abilities: Strength -3, Stamina -3, Agility 3 [11 in rain], Dexterity 3 [11 in rain], Fighting -3, Intellect -4, Awareness 0, Presence -4

Defenses: Initiative +3 [11 in rain], Dodge +2, Parry -1, Toughness -1, Fortitude -1, Will +2

Skills: Intimidation -5 (0 ranks), Stealth +9 [+11 in rain] (0 ranks)

Powers-
2', 16.3 lbs {Shrinking 6 [Extra: Normal Strength 3, Innate; Flaw: Permanent]} (16p)
High Health {Protection 2 [Extra: Innate; Flaw: Permanent]} (3p)

Ability: Swift Swim {Enhanced Agility 8 [Flaw: Reduced Dodge 8, Reduced Stealth 4] + Enhanced Dexterity 8 + Speed 2 [Flaw: Permanent]; Flaw: Limited (when raining)} (7p)

Splash {Enhanced Trait 2 [Unreliable on Strength; Flaw: Permanent]} (-2p)

Attack Array {2 point Array; Extra: Accurate 2} (4p)
BP: Tackle {Str-based Damage 2 [Normal-type]} (2p)
(PL 0 attack; +1 to hit, DC 14)

Cost-
Abilities: -22 + Defenses: -1 + Skills: 0 + Advantages: 0 + Powers: 39 = 16 points

Build note: With Magikarp statted, Feebas is incredibly straightforward. The only note here is that Feebas is smaller than Magikarp, and so even better at Stealth - it would be PL 7 (the 'dangerous exotic pets' level).
Feebas is actually strong enough that I think the Unreliable Strength is correctly costed here.

The last of the trio, Feebas is the physical attacker to Magikarp's special. Being similarly tough, Feebas seems like a strictly better option. However, Feebas requires more sensitive care and thus is rarely able to build the same presence. While this runs counter to their Pokedex entry in other regions, it matches with the difficulty in catching one (specific tiles in specific routes).

When trained sufficiently, a Feebas can develop a more effective move:
  • Flail {Str-based Damage 10 [Normal-type; Flaw: Need toughness penalty (1 rank free; 2 ranks w/-1; 4 ranks w/-2; 5 ranks w/-3; 7 ranks w/-4; 10 ranks w/-5)]} (5p)
    This is a PL 4 attack, and may be added to the array for 4 points, increasing the Attack array by 3 points
    When Feebas has -2 penalty to Toughness checks or worse, this attack becomes a better option than Tackle
Some Feebas have been discovered to have developed a particularly significant lack of threat recognition, replacing Ability: Swift Swim with Ability: Oblivious (costing 4 fewer points, for a 13 point total). In captivity, some breeders have also caused some Feebas to have a particular tendency toward Water-type moves, removing Ability: Swift Swim (for -7 points, totaling 10) and adding Ability: Adaptability.
  • Ability: Oblivious {Enhanced Fighting 1 (Flaw: Only vs. Ability: Intimidate) + Immunity 2 (Infatuated, Taunt)} (3p)
    Feebas with this ability must reach PL 5 for Flail and their Tackle is a PL 1 attack
  • Ability: Adaptability {Variable ? [5*?p; Flaw: Limited (Enhanced Damage only), Limited (no more than half ranks), Limited (must share user's type)] (4ppr)
    Pokemon with Adaptability are more likely built with the extra damage ranks included instead of this, so the cost is even more variable, but this is my attempt at building STAB. As Feebas doesn't naturally have Water moves, it doesn't need ranks of this - so that's up to the individual

On Adaptability: With type changes, the Adaptability there could be a reasonable way to include the Same Type Attack Bonus on everyone, in which case the ability just buys off the 'no more than half ranks' to a 'no more than equal ranks' descriptor. Instead of having to consider the extra ranks on every Pokemon's every attack, I'm applying ranks to attacks with the Pokemon's default typing.
Last edited by Seren on Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.