[OOC] NPC Investigations-Tales From The Junior Associates (Case 1-Nora de Santos)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Commander Titan

Re: [2e Recruitment] NPC Investigations-Tales From The Junior Associates

Post by Commander Titan »

I'm toying with ideas. I'll be putting something final together this weekend, but wanted to check if one of the ideas from my list would this fit the Phoenixverse as you see it?

Cecil Mortlake, a Victorian science-detective (think a combination of Holmes and the various HG Wells/Jules Verne scientists, though not as skilled at deduction or science as either, since he's a hybrid), who was frozen cryogenically on a case and discovered by members of NPC on some prior case. Hundreds of years out of his own time, he's working with them now as they're the closest thing to a home. He's catching up on modern culture / science / etc. but still talks like a Victorian (though without the -isms, I feel no need to bring that part forward) and doesn't quite get pop culture.
Current Setting Projects:
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Commander Titan wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:16 pm I'm toying with ideas. I'll be putting something final together this weekend, but wanted to check if one of the ideas from my list would this fit the Phoenixverse as you see it?

Cecil Mortlake, a Victorian science-detective (think a combination of Holmes and the various HG Wells/Jules Verne scientists, though not as skilled at deduction or science as either, since he's a hybrid), who was frozen cryogenically on a case and discovered by members of NPC on some prior case. Hundreds of years out of his own time, he's working with them now as they're the closest thing to a home. He's catching up on modern culture / science / etc. but still talks like a Victorian (though without the -isms, I feel no need to bring that part forward) and doesn't quite get pop culture.
According to a quick Google, the Victorian Era was between 1820 and 1914. As long as you define when he's from and which NPC detectives found him it's fine. Though if it's a weird choice in detective we'll have to talk about that. :mrgreen: But you too understand the assignment, as the saying goes, so I don't foresee any problems.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
The Phoenixverse 3E Conversions
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Commander Titan

EternalPhoenix wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:23 pm
Commander Titan wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:16 pm I'm toying with ideas. I'll be putting something final together this weekend, but wanted to check if one of the ideas from my list would this fit the Phoenixverse as you see it?

According to a quick Google, the Victorian Era was between 1820 and 1914. As long as you define when he's from and which NPC detectives found him it's fine. Though if it's a weird choice in detective we'll have to talk about that. :mrgreen: But you too understand the assignment, as the saying goes, so I don't foresee any problems.
Probably late Victorian era, 1890s or so, as that's when the media I'm taking inspiration came from. And good to know! I'll start oiling the rusty gears in my brain and piecing together a character sheet over the weekend.

Quick question about the start of the game - are we all starting out our "first day on the job" when the campaign starts, or would we have been with NPC already potentially? Basically would we have gone to the Endgame with NPC or on our own?
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:25 pm If you don't plan on affecting other people's clothing, Quick Change 2 explicitly gives you this.
My 2e-fu is weak.
EternalPhoenix wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:03 pm Can you put a DC Block at the end of that, please? So I can see your attacks and their accuracy laid out?
Will do. I just gained a PP so... But all the DCs 18 and the attacks are perception or +6.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Commander Titan wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:48 pm Probably late Victorian era, 1890s or so, as that's when the media I'm taking inspiration came from. And good to know! I'll start oiling the rusty gears in my brain and piecing together a character sheet over the weekend.

Quick question about the start of the game - are we all starting out our "first day on the job" when the campaign starts, or would we have been with NPC already potentially? Basically would we have gone to the Endgame with NPC or on our own?
On your own. First day on the job, yep yep.
jmucchiello wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:08 pm
EternalPhoenix wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:03 pm Can you put a DC Block at the end of that, please? So I can see your attacks and their accuracy laid out?
Will do. I just gained a PP so... But all the DCs 18 and the attacks are perception or +6.
I did clock that, but it's just easier to have it written out for uick reference, you know?
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Checking in. How are we doing, everybody? It's been a bit shy of 48 hours.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Build is 90% there. Finding myself shorter on some of the points that I had thought.
Commander Titan

I'm proving far rustier at character building than I thought, especially for a gadgeteer/detective type. I'm not progressing as fast as I thought and I was only able to spend a little time this evening on it, with a pretty busy week to come. I'll see about continuing to work at it, but I may have to withdraw if I can't get more done in the next day or so.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:51 pm Build is 90% there. Finding myself shorter on some of the points that I had thought.
Ain't that just the way it goes sometimes? :|
Commander Titan wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:47 am I'm proving far rustier at character building than I thought, especially for a gadgeteer/detective type. I'm not progressing as fast as I thought and I was only able to spend a little time this evening on it, with a pretty busy week to come. I'll see about continuing to work at it, but I may have to withdraw if I can't get more done in the next day or so.
If you want we can hop into PMs and nibble at it. That goe for all of you, actually. I've got a lot of building practices, as both of my active threads show. :mrgreen:
EternalPhoenix

This Is A Bump

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Hi.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Hello
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I am most heartily sorry. I was having difficulty getting the build together, and then my desktop where I was building it died. I'll see if maybe I can't take a stab at rebuilding it with my laptop tonight.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:49 pm I am most heartily sorry. I was having difficulty getting the build together, and then my desktop where I was building it died. I'll see if maybe I can't take a stab at rebuilding it with my laptop tonight.
If you need a hand, my PM box remains open. The first case is more or less ready to go. And I could probably write the introduction to the IC (which isn't the same as the start of the case) in my sleep. I'm ready on my end.
FuzzyBoots

Princess Fedora

Post by FuzzyBoots »

First draft, going for PL 8 / 120 PP

Princess Fedora

Skin: Light-brown
Hair: Dark brown, shoulder-length

Power Level: 8; Power Points Spent: 120/120

STR: +2 (10/14), DEX: +4 (10/18), CON: +6 (10/22), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +1 (12), CHA: +5 (10/14/20)

Tough: +6/+8, Fort: +6, Ref: +9, Will: +5

Skills: Acrobatics 2 (+6), Bluff 5 (+5/+10/+18), Concentration 7 (+8), Diplomacy 5 (+5/+10/+18), Disable Device 1 (+3), Disguise 3 (+3/+8), Drive 1 (+5), Gather Information 13 (+13/+18), Intimidate 3 (+3/+8), Investigate 2 (+4), Knowledge (Streetwise), 3 (+4), Notice 9 (+10), Profession (Cleaner/"Cleaner") 3 (+4), Search 5 (+7), Sense Motive 10 (+11), Sleight of Hand 1 (+5), Stealth 5 (+9)

Feats: Attack Focus (ranged) 3, Attack Specialization 2 (Heavy pistol), Attractive 2 (+8), Beautiful Voice (Diplomacy), Contacts, Defensive Roll 1, Dodge Focus 3, Equipment 3, Fascinate (Diplomacy), Inspire 3 (+3), Power Attack, Precise Shot 2, Quick Draw 2, Rousing Speech (Diplomacy), Sneak Attack (+2), Uncanny Dodge (Hearing), Well-Informed

Powers:
A Little Bird Told Me - (Comprehend 2) (animals - speak to, animals - understand, Feats: Contacts, Uncanny Dodge (Hearing), Well-Informed)
Compelling Voice (Container, Active 3)
. . Enhanced Trait 14 (Charisma +6 (20, +5), Feats: Attractive 2 (+8), Beautiful Voice (Diplomacy), Fascinate (Diplomacy), Inspire 3 (+3), Rousing Speech (Diplomacy))
. . . . Musical Number (Mind Control 7) (Alternate; DC 17; Perception Area (General); One Command (Musical Number))
Princess Form (Enhanced Trait 28) (Traits: Charisma +4 (18, +4), Constitution +12 (22, +6), Strength +4 (14, +2), Dexterity +8 (18, +4))

Equipment: Hair trigger heavy pistol (Flash Suppressor, Stun ammo, Ranged Autofire Damage 4), Burner phone

Attack Bonus: +3 (Ranged: +6, Melee: +3, Grapple: +5)

Attacks: Hair trigger heavy pistol, +10 (DC 19/21), Musical Number (Mind Control 7) (DC Will 17), Unarmed Attack, +3 (DC 17/19)

Defense: +8 (Flat-footed: +3), Knockback: -4

Initiative: +4

Languages: Native Language (Brazilian Portuguese), English

Complications
  • Accident - Her Compelling Voice and Musical Number powers aren't entirely under her control, which has occasionally led to people suddenly falling in love with her or team members being compelled to sing during missions.
  • Power Loss - Unbeknownst to her, her powers are the result of a childish wish by her daughter, who claimed her mother to be a true princess. Somehow, this evolved to being a Disney Princess. These powers could possibly disappear, or the source might require her to serve their biddings.
  • Power Loss - Her feats associated with A Little Bird Told Me are dependent on having animals around to talk to (or talk to her).
  • Prejudice - She has, so far, stayed one step ahead of the Disney lawyers, despite her attempts to claim that she has generic fairy tale princes powers, not one specific to the Great Mouse.
  • Responsibility - Her daughter, Coruja, is her pride and joy. Coruja is unaware of her mother's alternate identity, although Aparecida plans to reveal it soon.
  • Responsibility - Although she officially was allowed to retire from the family, they may still approach her in the future.
  • Secret - While she was unable to keep the other members of the organization completely unaware of her powers, she thinks that few other people were aware of her identity as a hired killer previously. She hopes to keep it that way.
Totals: Abilities 6 + Skills 20 (80 ranks) + Feats 19 + Powers 50 + Combat 16 + Saves 9 + Drawbacks 0 = 120

Background
Aparecida De Santos Eva Ramon was an immigrant to the United States from South America. Fleeing poverty and an oppressive regime, she managed to travel to the land of opportunity with her daughter, Coruja Amelia. Unfortunately, she quickly learned that "opportunity" involved poverty menial roles as a cleaner. Through a series of chance circumstances, she found herself in the position to be useful to a Brazilian organized crime family as a hired killer. Masquerading as a cleaning lady, a job she was intimately familiar with, Aparecida eliminated several targets, fleeing with the seemingly innocent staff. Then, one day, something strange happened. A rat in the building she was working in spoke to her. Men she encountered started falling for her. Occasionally, people would break into musical numbers at convenient times. Once more not entirely in control of her circumstances, Aparecida used her skills to rise to the top of the ranks of hired killers in the organization.

After an incident where she saved a high-ranking official in her organized crime family, thanks to a helpful tip from a kitchen mouse of the birthday cake having been liberally dosed with poisonous substances, Aparecida was able to request a retirement from the family. Still gifted with extranormal powers, she has parleyed this into a minor heroic career. Her moniker of Princess Fedora was unplanned. After she had made her heroic turn, her daughter saw her on a new report on TV, dressed in a smart blue suit with wide-brimmed hat, and dubbed her Princess Fedora. Well, what mother couldn't take steps to ensure that her daughter was proven right? Afterwards, she started answering to that name, and it stuck with the media, who seemingly found it charming.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

A bump so I can find this a little later.