[OOC] NPC Investigations-Tales From The Junior Associates (Case 1-Nora de Santos)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EternalPhoenix

Re: [Recruitment] Unnamed 2e Phoenixverse Game

Post by EternalPhoenix »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:35 pm
EternalPhoenix wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:39 pm You'll have to define this one for me. It's not exactly 4 color in the Modern Age. All four game types are about superheroes, they're just alternate approaches to the idea. They all protect people and fight criminals and supervillains. What kind of story are you looking for?
When I think of a superhero game, I want to be super. I have PL 6 games. What's the point? Or more accurately, don't call it "super".

I have a penchant for 4-color games. But everyone in the world seems to prefer Iron Age (or later) games. So I would lean toward "traditional superheroes" or "exiles". I'll play in the detective game. But I have Mr. Dent's worry of the details being too much for the sporadic pace of PbP.
You're definitely going to be super. It's a PL8 game regardless. That's super to me, if on the low end. Allow me to clarify. When I say "4 color", I mean the type of stories where the good guys are the good guys because they're the good guys and the bad guys are the bad guys because they're the bad guys. Minimal (but not zero) complexity to the narrative or the characters. I do not mean stripping out optimism, hope, and joy.

I like my heroes to have feet of clay and my villains to be sympathetic. I like both to have agency outside of what the plot needs from them. I like them to have reasons why they do what they do. I prefer them to be people, you know? However, at the end of the day they are heroes and villains, respectively. Their positions in this thing are clear. Heroes protect people. Villains hurt them. Being a superhero, in my 'verse, is an inherently optimistic and hopeful thing. Situations can get messy and gray. The world is not a place where things are clear cut black and white all the time. But I think the most superheroic thing to do is try to do good and right regardless.

So. You know. Exiles aren't about to turn their backs on people in need, even if they're battered and beaten by their current circumstances. NPC detectives routinely go above and beyond to help their clients, and will never hold out for a fee during an emergency. The Seawings are practically the Justice League of Oceania, with the difference being the set up being an Guild of Adventurers. That's what I mean by alternate approaches to the idea of superheroes. I firmly believe there are more ways to tell superhero stories than the standard "codename, powers, tights, and punching crime" method without giving in to cynicism and Iron Age brutality.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I didn't say superheroic. I said super. To me PL8 is the barest minimum to feel kind of super. PL12: that's super. My ultimate game would involve villains who pick up hospitals and throw them at orphanages. :O

But I'm not expecting you to run such a game. I wouldn't vote for the seawings just because the setting doesn't grab me. I love detective games, but as I said, if the pace isn't good enough, detective games can become incomprehensible in PbP. I agree with Commander Titan about teenagers. I'll play those games, but I prefer not to relive high school, super powers or not.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Boy, that's embarrassing. I had a whole rant and I wasn't even on the right topic. :oops:

But you know, I don't disagree with you. PL 8 is right at the edge of super and not super. PL 12's got the juice. PL 15 is even better. With that said, my 'verse...I try to keep it grounded, human, and something resembling that dreaded word realistic. It's kinda like...Rocket Launchers are +10 Damage, right? If that's not threatening to the supers in a world, then the mundane people in it simply don't matter. If cops, gangsters, military forces, and various mercenary groups aren't any real threat to a world's supers, then what's the point of them being in it in the first place? Why is mundane crime still a thing with metaphorical Gods of Justice walk the Earth?

Of course, I'm approaching it from a world building standpoint and you just want to have fun playing a game, so pay me no mind I guess. :sweat_smile:

So I suppose Seawings is out. Nobody's into that. Exiles being teenagers is also a sticking point for some. NPC might have pacing issues if we went in that direction. Hmm. Maybe an Icons recruits game? That would beef up the power level a bit, because only experienced and capable heroes get considered to join the USA's only major supergroup.
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

It's like the "fast-good-cheap" triangle. Your superhero can (A) be powerful and significant, (B) live in a world full of superheroes like them, or (C) live in a world that is even slightly recognizable - pick two. It's my opinion that a lot of popular superheroes work best if you pick A and C, but in detailed superhero universes B is almost mandatory.
EternalPhoenix

Re: [2e Recruitment] NPC Investigations-Tales From The Junior Associates

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Okay, so I decided I needed to either shit or get off the pot. So we're doing NPC Investigations. Three to five players. OP has some relevant setting info, but not all. Please ask if you need to know anything specific. I'm happy to discuss my 'verse with folks. I think that's it? LFG? I guess? I'm probably forgetting something.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Any bans on investigation destroying (or short-circuiting) powers (Precog/postcog, remote sensing, insubstantial (for getting into locked rooms), etc)?

And the setting is relatively "today" as I read the linked thread, right?

Any age expectations (based on "junior associates")?
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

jmucchiello wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:19 am Any bans on investigation destroying (or short-circuiting) powers (Precog/postcog, remote sensing, insubstantial (for getting into locked rooms), etc)?

And the setting is relatively "today" as I read the linked thread, right?

Any age expectations (based on "junior associates")?
Yeah. Pre and post cog need to be Uncontrolled, limited in some way (like with Psychometry the person needs to touch the right object; no object, power doesn't work), or not there. Remote Sensing/ESP I'll allow, as long as you're not trying to fling Perception range powers through them. Please don't. Insub is also fine, if it's thematic to the character. Like if you're transforming into a water being or simply knocking off Kitty Pryde. Basically try to not cheese your way out of problems before they happen. I'm not going to intentionally screw you over. Whatever you have at your disposal, there will be a way forward with that. Even if what you have is asking one of your fellow employees for help. We're partners here, not opponents. I'm acting accordingly.

The setting is basically "today", yeah. Jan 2019, almost 4 years ago now. You remember who was president, what was going on in sports, etc.

Age expectations? Not really? I mean, maybe don't be in your 80s, and there's laws about hiring minors so over 18 is a good idea. Other than that it doesn't matter. Right. Deleted the PL stuff I think maybe. It's still 8. 120 or 150 PP, as is your preference. Though with the latter I'll expect a bit more experience in the world than most 18 year olds have, if you catch my drift.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Floating an idea (and actually kind of building it right now, just in case you're fine by it). There's a meme about someone having fairytale (Disney) princess powers of extreme charisma, being able to talk too woodland creatures, etc... and also being one of the feared assassins of the world with a joke like about them tracking down their target by claiming that "a little bird told me". My idea is a single mother who started off as an organized crime hitter (relying on being unassuming, infiltrating as "the help"), gained their powers as a result of their daughter making a wish for them to be like a Disney Princess (maybe with some other accidental artifact in play), them using those powers to their advantage for a time, then reforming and going hero. So basically, Disney Princess with a gun. Most of their input into investigation is going to involve them providing information provided by their animal friends (which, if one recalls Cinderella, includes mice and rats). Complications would include that the Disney of the setting keeps claiming that they're defamatory/infringing despite that they can't help the source of their power, and don't claim to be associated with Disney.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I am planning a character with morph 2: humanoids (person of a thousand faces) with linked transform clothing to clothing

Definitely need 150 PP for all the skills.

Are we paying for cell phones?
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:37 am Floating an idea (and actually kind of building it right now, just in case you're fine by it). There's a meme about someone having fairytale (Disney) princess powers of extreme charisma, being able to talk too woodland creatures, etc... and also being one of the feared assassins of the world with a joke like about them tracking down their target by claiming that "a little bird told me". My idea is a single mother who started off as an organized crime hitter (relying on being unassuming, infiltrating as "the help"), gained their powers as a result of their daughter making a wish for them to be like a Disney Princess (maybe with some other accidental artifact in play), them using those powers to their advantage for a time, then reforming and going hero. So basically, Disney Princess with a gun. Most of their input into investigation is going to involve them providing information provided by their animal friends (which, if one recalls Cinderella, includes mice and rats). Complications would include that the Disney of the setting keeps claiming that they're defamatory/infringing despite that they can't help the source of their power, and don't claim to be associated with Disney.
I don't have a problem with it. You understand the assignment, as the saying goes. One thing, though. I don't have a lot of artifacts that powerful floating around out there. So about that wish being granted by a person? Like a witch, or a literal fairy grandmother from either the Summer or Winter Court?
jmucchiello wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:00 am I am planning a character with morph 2: humanoids (person of a thousand faces) with linked transform clothing to clothing

Definitely need 150 PP for all the skills.

Are we paying for cell phones?
Basic equipment like cell phones or toolkits for your skills, no. If you want something Masterwork and/or it has a direct mechanical effect, yes.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I think I've asked something like this before, but how do the Courts generally interact with the mundane authorities? Do national governments know about them? Are there government wizards?
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Anne "The Blank" Ominous

Name: Anne Ominous; Code Name: The Blank
Known Aliases: Anne Ominous, Annie O'Reilly, Blanche Odoretti, Derek Thompson, Mei Li Yang, Paul Citrone, Paula Citrone, Ayush Patel, et. al.
Relatives: Unknown
Degrees: Unknown (high school assumed)
Group Affiliations: CIA, MI-6
Size: Medium
Height: 4'9" - 6'2"; Weight: 95 - 225 lbs; Hair: varies; Eyes: varies
Age: Unknown; Apparent Age: varies; Years Operating: At least 12
Distinguishing Marks: none/varies

Excerpt from Mossad file SP3352-J, Top Secret (Based on CIA file R0498437/3):
BACKGROUND: The background of the former agent known as The Blank is not fully known. They were born in *REDACTED* on *REDACTED* to a middle-income family. The origin of their mutation is unknown. As early as the age of three, their ability to change their appearance manifested. They probably do not know what they are "supposed" to look like. It cannot be confirmed that they attended *REDACTED* high school and graduated with a 4.0 GPA as the years do not line up. The CIA first recorded their existence in *REDACTED* and they were involved in several operations, including several in conjunction with MI-6 and Interpol, before they resigned. A kill order existed as they were not permitted to resign at that time. That kill order has been retracted on the authority of *REDACTED*. They have been working freelance ever since, sticking to corporate espionage generally.

ABILITIES: Aside from The Blank ability to look like anyone instantly, they have some kind of nerve disrupting power that they can use for a variety of effects. This ability has no visible cues. But after its use, targets touched by The Blank (and it is not know if touching is required), might become enraged, pacified, nauseous, and even paralyzed. The Blank tends to use these effect to create distractions so they can perform their covert duties.

APPEARANCE: A black, full body, hentai-style leotard with four, one-inch wide, white stripes at the shoulders, two white stripes at the waist. The Blank is sometimes visibly male, sometimes female. During mission briefings, once positively identified as The Blank, they will usually morph into a normal looking human, tending to choose a look that is not appropriate to the room. When on a job, they may change looks many times.

OPERATIONS: The Blank maintains several full time aliases. But these aliases appear and disappear every few months. The Blank has been known to hold down mundane jobs for months at a time. They were the country singer Derek Thompson, who had a hit single, "Dog Gone", in 2005. They were credited in the film "Heartbreaker" as Blanche Odoretti and were nominated for a Golden Globe for the supporting role.

Abilities (70)
STR 10 +0 . DEX 26 +8 . CON 20 +5
INT 26 +8 . WIS 22 +6 . CHA 26 +8

Combat (24)
ATK +4; DEF +8 (Resist KB -4)

Saves (5)
TOUGH +8; FORT +8 (3); REF +8; WILL +8 (2)
Initiative: +8

Skills (7/28)
Bluff +12, Diplomacy +10, Gather Information +10, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (current events) +11, Knowledge (popular culture) +11, Knowledge (technology) +11, Language +5 (English (native), French, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish), Stealth +12

Feats (11)
Attractive 2 (+4), Benefit 2 (Alternate Identities, Security Clearance), Connected, Contacts, Eidetic Memory, Hide In Plain Sight, Improvised Tools, Jack-of-all-Trades, Well-Informed

Powers (33)
Emotion Control 8, Mind Blank, Subtle 2 = 19 + 3 = 22 PP
* Mind Reading 8, Sensory Link, Subtle 2 = 19 = 1
* Nauseate 8, Accurate 1, Subtle 2 = 19 = 1
* Paralyze 8, Accurate 1, Subtle 2 = 19 = 1
Immunity 1, Aging = 1 PP
Morph 3, Broad Group: Humanoids, +15 Disguise = 6 PP
Protection 3, +3 toughness = 3 PP
Quick Change 2 = 2 PP

Combat
Emotion Control: Will DC 18
Mind Reading: +8 Power Check vs target's Will
Nauseate: Fortitude DC 18
Paralyze: Will DC 18
Unarmed: +4 Tough DC 15
Throw: +4 Tough DC 15

70 + 24 + 5 + 7 + 11 + 33 = 150 PP

Complications
Motivation-Thrills: Nothing is more exciting than being undercover.
Power Loss: Blank loses flexibility when wet. Total immersion disables their morph power for at least an hour.
Last edited by jmucchiello on Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

jmucchiello wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:01 pm Anne "The Blank" Ominous

Transform 3, Affects Narrow->Narrow: Clothing and Accessories to Clothing and Accessories, 5 lbs, Linked (Morph), Range: Touch, Customer (Only clothing/accessories worn -2ppr) = 3 PP
If you don't plan on affecting other people's clothing, Quick Change 2 explicitly gives you this.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:23 pm I think I've asked something like this before, but how do the Courts generally interact with the mundane authorities? Do national governments know about them? Are there government wizards?
They don't. Most Courts (Fae or otherwise) are fairly contemptuous of mortal morality, let alone mortal authority. There are probably files on them and the rest of the supernatural somewhere in Homeland Security's databases. However, they're not considered supernatural because sensible, sane people (by the modern definitions) don't believe magic and the supernatural exist. They'd be under organized crime at worst. So if any government anti-supernatural groups exist, they are entirely informal. The White Court of Wizards handles supernatural crime that superheroes and the mortal authorities can't deal with (relatively low power universe, remember, so a SWAT team is a threat to weaker rogue mages/supernaturals), and they are decidedly not affiliated with any national government. They're not nice folks. Fair and honorable in their way, yes. But not nice.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

jmucchiello wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:01 pm Anne "The Blank" Ominous
Can you put a DC Block at the end of that, please? So I can see your attacks and their accuracy laid out?