[OOC] [3e] Superheroics Unlimited - The MMVR

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [Recruitment] [3e] Superheroics Unlimited - The MMVR

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Tony Jones wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:39 pm I was going with a Tomorrow People (the old UK version!) idea for the sort of psionic powers she has. And their psychic powers pretty much boil down to telepathy, telekinesis, and teleportation. Psychic teleportation is a fairly common idea I think. But I can change it to something else if it's a problem. Maybe telekinetic flight?

But I see what you mean about there being so overlap with Warlock...
Never watched the show, but I've heard of it before. Psychic teleportation could be more common than I'm aware of, but I'm more familiar with TK-assisted flight. Not as if I'm against her having either, was just curious if it fit the theme.

Magic, psionics, same thing innit? ;)
Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:44 pm I'm still here. I actually worked on my character over the weekend. Going for a flashy hero that streams their play. Very colorful light-based blaster build. Nothing insane, I'm actually using the character generator in the 10 Year Penultimate edition book for the foundation with some tweaks here and there.

I'll try and get at least a rough draft up today.

Also, it occured to me this feels like Dragon Drive! It's an anime where players go to a center, enter a pod to play in a virtual world with a dragon that is auto-genned for them. (There is more to the plot, but that's the entry level plot. It's been an age since I watched it. The intro song was electric)
Sounds cool, glad to have your interest still. Not familiar with that anime, seems interesting enough though. I love good music if nothing else.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:22 pm *claps* Well, that was awkward! Kenmadragon, I see you had some nice intentions here, but you need to ask for permission before going in and rewriting someone's whole build. Extreme break down critique is meant to be my job, here! Have some faith in my abilities of a GM eh? ;)
jmucchiello wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:44 pm My apologies to everyone else in the thread.
...Yeah, after waking up and taking a shower, I realize that "No-Sleep Ken right after a long road-trip with family and a stressful holiday get-together with extended family" is probably not "Good decision-making & considerate of others Ken".

And looking back at what I posted, I fee like a real f*cking tool.

Sorry Malsyn, and I'm really sorry jmucchiello... That was poorly done. There were plenty of ways I could have handled that better, and I clearly was too obtuse to consider otherwise.

Social stuff online has always been a struggle for me -- especially when I'm not in the best head-space. I usually prefer the whole "conversation by post" thing because I can typically take the time to actually think about what I'm writing before I do it, and go in to make edits if I need to change things -- easier than having to do that on the fly by talking to a person in real life. But it's still really f*cking hard to gauge how other people will react when all the lessons people give about "how to read a room" don't apply to an online format and you've gotta think it through a lot harder than just saying whatever the hell comes to mind like I usually do. Normally that involves me taking an hour to ponder over how to write something that would normally take, like, five minutes... but I suppose that just went out the f*cking window last night and I didn't have the presence of mind to realize it was very poorly done. Making my own version of the build as a thought experiment was one thing, but fucking posting and and explaining all my thoughts behind it was very much a mistake in the clarity of hindsight, a proper night's rest, a shower to clear my head and everyone pointing out "yes, that was stupidly done."

All I can say at this point is that I feel crummy about it and will try to be better in the future.

Also, thanks for pointing out that I was being a dick about it, I honestly appreciate the reminder of where the lines on what is and is not acceptable are to be drawn at times. Having them laid out sometimes is really f*cking helpful when I slip up and stick my foot in my mouth during a rant.

Speaking of being painfully unclear about the etiquette for things like this, should I just edit the post and delete the parts where I made a complete ass of myself by posting that build and the bullet-points and all that? I'm not really sure what the right move is here in this situation right now, and could really use some input lest I make a bigger mess of things by just doing it without asking about it first...
jmucchiello wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:13 pm
* Deciding to treat the Octa-Armor as an "Alien Bracelet that turns into a battle-suit" gave the justification to add a Feature to the entire Armor and make it Collapsible. That way, Shelley is never without access to the battle-suit. If she ever runs into trouble anywhere in her civilian identity, she just needs to activate the suit and will be immediately battle-ready.
This I might use.
Well, if there was at least one positive that can be taken from me putting my foot in my mouth and coming off as a total ass-hat, we can at least say you have an idea of where to put that point freed up by removing Favored Environment?

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure if that's something to focus on, though, because that's clearly not the takeaway from this situation.

Spectrum wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:21 pm I've been having a lot of fun turning the concept of the game inside out- concentrating on the MMO genre and the streamer community.
I'll be honest, you have put a lot more thought into the "streamer" idea than I did when I was throwing up character ideas. My initial idea for it was something along the lines of "record videos of exploration and magic-adventures to post online because the graphics are just absolutely stunning" combined with "live-stream with the chat on so that people can see the pretty graphics LIVE!".

But the idea of having a PC who has to deal with an active, commenting fanbase and who builds their playstyle around being a streamer in the way you describe... sounds exhausting. And it occurs to me that my idea of what "streaming" in an MMO would be like obviously doesn't gel with the way it probably would work with an MMO game IRL. Sam would be acting like this is a "Let's Play" or making a documentary about secret areas of Premium City and giving guides about how to explore some of the more obscure locales and stuff... but cultivating a fan base, gathering supporters, and putting on a persona to sell for entertainment doesn't sound like something "math and software nerd Sam" would find appealing in the slightest.

Hmn... might have to tweak that bit of the character background a bit. Rather than having Sam be a Streamer, maybe just one of those guys who posts recordings of "How to find <Some Cool Easter Egg or Secret Trick> in the game!" type of things, or just makes Lore Videos about the game's magical communities and what-not. Perhaps have his focus be on trying to test the verisimilitude of the game-world as designed by the God-Shard? It would fit with his real-world background as a mathematician and computer scientist who made his mark desigining such powerful AIs if he has a keen interest in testing the full extent of the God-Shard's ability to create detailed settings (albeit confined by the premise of an MMO and all the tropes those imply).

Thanks Spectrum! It's unfortunate that you won't be joining us in this campaign, but you've given me plenty of food for thought!

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:11 pm @Kenmadragon: Reverse situation here, as I really like the background fluff of it all. Tons to work here if I want to bring in some mystical threats for you to fight in-game. And of course, having an arch-nemesis in the form of another player could be a lot of fun.
Glad to hear it! Especially since Spectrum's post gave me the inspiration to shift Sam's fascination with the game to move from "stream videos of the pretty graphics" to "explore the game's versimilitude and see how far the AI running the show can go". :D

Martin's Complications are predominantly related to people in the game, both PCs and NPCs, and dealing with them should be a lot of fun because people are complicated and interacting with NPCs is an excellent way of testing how "real" the AI can make them.

...Now I'm wondering if Martin might gain another Complication in the future if he ends up falling for one of the NPCs in the process. :lol:
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:11 pm I do agree with Vivid that there's some overlap between the two characters that could lead to some issues in-game. Perhaps nixing 'Conjuring from Thin Air' and 'Mischief of the Rakshasa' if you were both to enter the game, but we'll see how things progress.
With regards to overlap with Vivid's Operative, I'm fine with dropping Mischief of the Rakshasa. I'm not terribly attached to the Illusion power, though I should also point out that Exemplar also has Illusion, just of a different kind. But I'm not really attached to the Illusion in either case.

...I'm much more hesitant to drop Conjuring -- making stuff appear out of thin air is fairly thematic and common trope for magicians. Especially now that Spectrum's inspired me to give Sam the motivation of testing the AI's limits, but I think that Sam/Martin is more likely to use it for either casual things or for just making temporary constructs that Warlock will need to focus on.

Besides, even though Operative and Warlock both have the Create power, we approach it from two very different methods. Warlock's use of Create is far more fleeting that Operatives -- his lasts only so long as he has the power active in his Array and the instant he switches to use one of his other powers the objects vanished. Even then, once he conjures them, he can't move them because swapping to Move-Object would dispell the construct anyways. Operatives' constructs last for two minutes, even if she swaps to a different AE, and can be moved around or locked in place with impunity (so she could fling them around or hang them in thin air, unlike Warlock's whose constructs are subject to gravity), can be dispersed with a thought, and look very real.

From my perspective, Operative's Create feels far more useful than Warlocks', since she can do much more with hers than Warlock can with his. Only advantage Warlock's version has is that it's higher ranked and ranged. But they otherwise have very different descriptors (science vs magic) and seem to work quite differently in-use that I don't see the overlap as being as dramatic as it seems you guys are making it out to be?
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:11 pm 'Revelation of the Third Eye' I have some problems with, however. I presume it's a container power? It's a very powerful sensory ability due to having 30 points to load into it, and I'm not a fan of 'Quick-Cast Hedge Magic', especially with it's check-required flaw. You have +20 in expertise, and the DC is 12. That's less a flaw and more just free points. I think I'd prefer you to have a separate 'detect magic' power, with a scaled down version of True Seeing alt'd off it.
Yeah, I'm still workshopping that one. Was planning on just dropping off the Extras and the Check Required so it'd be a plain ol' Variable 1 for various cantrip-levels magics, none of the other frills to it. Standard action to change around, and still only five points and stuff.

Revelation of the Third Eye was meant mostly for non-combat and exploration -- gave Martin tools for finding magical secrets and hidden stuff, as well as options for looking at the after-math of mystical events and figuring out what happened so he could track down culprits and the like. The Variable was just added in so he could do cantrip-level magics while he did his "ooh, pretty magic colors" thing... and because it seemed like a waste to just leave those seven points inside the AE alone. :P

So, it's kind of a container? Honestly, it could easily have been a single Senses power that combines the "detect magic" and the "true seeing" parts and then adds the enhanced Investigation+Perception skills to help make use of them (like a magical version of "detective mode" from the Arkham games)... with the Hedge Magic effect just tacked on because I had the points and wanted something so Martin could cast cantrips without needing to power-stunt for really cheap effects he uses just to roleplay as a wizard who uses magic for every frivolous whim.

Though, since I'm removing the Mischief of the Rakshasa power, I could always move that point over and make the Hedge Magic effect an AE off of Mystic Levitation -- though it opens up those points again, LOL.

Alternately, I might just replace it with Quickness and a flaw limiting the Quickness to use of the Expertise: Magic skill -- maybe describe it as "the Third Eye reveals pure magic, which makes using his Expertise skill absurdly fast since he can just look at the magic and see how it flows and works with perfect clarity". I was originally toying around with using the points that way before I swapped over to using the Variable for it (though I kept the Quickness idea as a potential setting in my notes). Original thought behind it was to speed up design and implementation/cosntruction of Artificer gear and Rituals as a way of explaining "What is Martin's actual Job in-game". Because even if he's got a Sanctum, he still needs money for various odds and ends and he doesn't have a normal job so I figured Martin would pay for in-game-world expenses through selling magical stuff he makes or through desigining Ritual recipes for other players to use and having Quickness to make that whole thing go faster.

...Whoof, spent nearly 3 hours writing this all out and trying to find the right words for it all.... Then I hit 'Preview" and see there's already a bunch of posts that I need to read though again. Gah! Now i need another couple hours to figure out how to reply to the new stuff!

Screw it, I'm just gonna post what I've written so far and post again once I've gone through the new stuff!

:lol:
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Water under the bridge at least for me, mate.

You make some good counter arguments when it comes to the applications of creation, and the rest of it. You've at least a week to work things out a bit more overall.
------------
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Tony Jones wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:39 pm
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:11 pm @Exemplar: No problems with the story as I've said before, the whole 'good borne of evil' is a fascinating angle, plus there's doors open for other aspects of this project existing elsewhere. Her being an older hero new to the game is very interesting as well, I like it. Powers wise, she has some interesting flavor. Her psionic array is quite dense with abilities, and I do find it a bit in common with Warlock in some similar abilities there was well. Teleport is the only one I really raise an eyebrow at, it doesn't quite seem to fit the theme.
Thanks!

I was going with a Tomorrow People (the old UK version!) idea for the sort of psionic powers she has. And their psychic powers pretty much boil down to telepathy, telekinesis, and teleportation. Psychic teleportation is a fairly common idea I think. But I can change it to something else if it's a problem. Maybe telekinetic flight?

I don't mind it. Telekinesis is common enough that one would expect most folks to have it. It's like Blast or Super-Strength -- most character concepts have something like it, they're near ubiquitous. Hell, Exemplar's is Perception Range, so she doesn't even need to bother with aiming like Warlock does, LOL.

As for Teleportation... I'll be honest, that's the first time I've seen the "Safety Sense" feature, and I totally want to steal that for the next time I make a teleporter. Anyways, Warlock's power is mostly designed as a long-range traveling option (Easy + Extended), and he's more likely to use his Flight power in a fight. Exemplar's using it as her primary workhorse for getting around -- her utilization of teleportation is inherently tactical and designed for use in a scrap.

With regards to changing the power to TK flight, I'm not entirely sure how useful that would be inside the array. Most psionic-characters in comics and media who have some means of Flight usually have the Flight power separate from their usual psionic-array -- and if it is part of the array, it's usually because the entire array is Dynamic. If the goal is to have a movement power within the array, I'm not sure "Flight" is the right way?

Unless it some kind of "Burst Area Affects Others" Flight where Exemplar is not only lifting herself up, but can also carrying a bunch of other people with her. That would probably be more fitting as an 'in-the-array" sorta deal, but is a whole different brand of headache to deal with because "Affects Others Flight" might result in problems at the table handling all those "now suddenly flying" characters...
Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:44 pm Also, it occured to me this feels like Dragon Drive! It's an anime where players go to a center, enter a pod to play in a virtual world with a dragon that is auto-genned for them. (There is more to the plot, but that's the entry level plot. It's been an age since I watched it. The intro song was electric)
Gods, I loved Dragon Drive! It was the first Manga I ever read -- I'd found an issue of Shonen Jump at my elementary school's scholastic book-fair and the first manga in it was the first chapter of the manga and it had me hooked. Before that, my only exposure to manga and anime was from watching Naruto when it aired on Toonami, but Dragon Drive was what actually got me hooked onto reading manga and eventually other forms of nerdery that are now so ubiquitous these days.
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:48 pm
Tony Jones wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:39 pm I was going with a Tomorrow People (the old UK version!) idea for the sort of psionic powers she has. And their psychic powers pretty much boil down to telepathy, telekinesis, and teleportation. Psychic teleportation is a fairly common idea I think. But I can change it to something else if it's a problem. Maybe telekinetic flight?

Never watched the show, but I've heard of it before. Psychic teleportation could be more common than I'm aware of, but I'm more familiar with TK-assisted flight. Not as if I'm against her having either, was just curious if it fit the theme.

Magic, psionics, same thing innit? ;)
There are several examples of it, apparently. Not quite as common as TK-flight, but it exists.

And I mean... Warlock casts spells using knowledge drawn from ancient tomes and bartered with from eldritch gods to twist the nature of reality. Exemplar has a mind so powerful that her will is capable of exerting force over minds and matter, shaping them to her will. How are those the same thing? :P
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:17 pm Water under the bridge at least for me, mate.

You make some good counter arguments when it comes to the applications of creation, and the rest of it. You've at least a week to work things out a bit more overall.
Cool. There will likely be several revisions over that time, I imagine, as I hem and haw, flip-flopping often as I try and settle on something before it all gets finalized, LOL.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Huh, so there are. Forgot about the guy from MP100. With Saiki K.I dunno if he's a fair example. Dude's pretty much just a god. :lol:
------------
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

@kenmadragon and @Doctor Malsyn- thank you for the kind words. I call it mission successful! Who knows, I might have more bandwidth when the next call for players comes around. Not too unusual to chase the hot new game.

There is tons of room for different kinds of content providers- whether deep lore videos, world first competitions, tons of niches out there for many games. May not be a big community, and thus a full time job, but there are almost as many niches as there are content producers.

At the same time, you guys should probably work together to figure out how much meta is too meta.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Yeah, lots of different kinds of content for sure for the streamer oriented. I've still got some thought to put into the nature of my character submission's streaming content.

A few details;
-they go by Rainbow Star in the game.
-they are something of a celebrity, not necessarily for being amazing at the game, but a dazzling personality and flashy rainbow-themed light emission powers
-out of the game, they are verrrry different. Tries to keep a low profile
-as a result, other players don't know who Rainbow Star is outside of the game, since they are looking for someone who matched the in game persona.
-build wise we're looking at a pretty straight forward blaster. Not a huge toolkit, but a fairly balanced one, like your typically shoto character in a fighting game. Not the best at anything, but good because of their balanced kit.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

I added more story. For verisimilitude I texted my own mom (a non-gamer, middle-aged housewife) about what kind of story she'd create and she was fully stymied. I figured Maggie would be the same way so I had her just hit a random back story button and that's what was assembled even added a complication about it.

I'm still unconvinced that my build or character contributes anything meaningful to the story. I might just be out of my league and redundant compared to you all. We'll see, I guess. (If accepted, that is.)

Please let me know if the backstory doesn't work for the world.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I've update the new Octogirl here.

Kenma, no problems.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Vivid wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:01 pm I'm still unconvinced that my build or character contributes anything meaningful to the story. I might just be out of my league and redundant compared to you all. We'll see, I guess. (If accepted, that is.)
I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. From my perspective, the question isn't "what does my character have that is just like the others?" but more "what does my character do differently?"

From that angle, there's actually a lot that Maggie/Operative brings to the group (and as an independent hero). The Player is someone who comes from a unique background the other PCs don't have -- she's a mother of teenagers and thus has a life-experience and perspective that the other Players wouldn't have, and also makes her unpredictable.

As a Character, Dana/Operative also brings to the table a set of skills and capabilities none of the other PCs submitted thus far seem to have: legitimate skills in stealth, subterfuge and science. The rest of us are about as stealth as a bull in a china shop and have not one whit of tech-skills --- Operative is specifically designed to be subtle and to deal with technological problems. And in a comic-book world, especially in a city-setting where there's bound to be loads of tech-villains, Operative is best suited to dealing with super-tech. She's basically a very sneaky gadgeteer and her powers really lend themselves well to misdirection and fooling people. She's not Tony Stark nor Batman, but she's somewhere in between - a technological wunderkind who uses her stealth technology.

None of the rest of us have that kind of capability. Warlock's focus is on Magic. Octagirl is a cellist with a mahou-shoujo bracelet. Exemplar is a Psychic and teacher. Rainbow Star (when Gunmetal gets around to posting their char-sheet) is gonna be a social star and influencer. Pathfinder's character's either gonna be an librarian who turns into an alien-biomechanical monster, or a legacy-hero speedster. Dana Sonders stands out as someone trained to be a tech-savvy thief who instead turns to being a heroic gadgeteer and master of all things technological.

From the Player's side, Sam's an absent-minded maths and computer genius, Tim is a troubled teenager with an overbearing father, Emily is an ex-principal with a gambling problem, Rainbow Star's player is an introverted girl hiding the fact she's famous, and you'd either have Natasha the voice-actor who's a social recluse or Kendall the former Olympian who can't compete after a horrible accident. Maggie would join that group as a mother of teenagers who might be the one "normal" person in the group capable of wrangling all these problematic individuals and keeping them on-task!

You'd fit right in! :)
jmucchiello wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:59 pm I've update the new Octogirl here.

Kenma, no problems.
I have a (mostly humorous) question about Cherry that I can't help but wonder about...

Seeing as Cherry is a Magical Girl, does she shout out her "Special Attack Names" when she uses them? Like with her energy-punch thing, does she call out the attack on rare occasions?

And if the answer to that is Yes, is that included in the "sometimes Cherry says things that Tim is embarrassed by" Complication? Because it sounds like it would be, LOL. :lol:

EDIT: Btw, I totally plan on having Sam hamming it up whenever he's acting in Character as Martin Spellman and basically roleplaying a discount Doctor Strange from the comics -- swearing on the names of eldritch entities, proclaiming the names of his spells when he casts them, etc etc.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Just for the record, Exemplar's Eidetic Memory, Jack of All Trades, Luck and Beginners Luck advantages mean she can have a go at anything and have a chance of success. But she's more of a dabbler and will never be as good in a specific thing as someone who specialises in that thing.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Vivid wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:01 pm I added more story. For verisimilitude I texted my own mom (a non-gamer, middle-aged housewife) about what kind of story she'd create and she was fully stymied. I figured Maggie would be the same way so I had her just hit a random back story button and that's what was assembled even added a complication about it.

I'm still unconvinced that my build or character contributes anything meaningful to the story. I might just be out of my league and redundant compared to you all. We'll see, I guess. (If accepted, that is.)

Please let me know if the backstory doesn't work for the world.
Nice, I really like the angle you went with here. Interesting how Maggie has a de-sync issue to her character like Tim, though for obviously different reasons. That might be fun to play with later.
jmucchiello wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:59 pm I've update the new Octogirl here.

Kenma, no problems.
Looks fairly solid, can't see anything amiss here.
------------
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

>Today's update:

At this point, pretty heavily leaning towards the speedster submission (which means, as I post this, someone else will put up a speedster build). Even if I go with Kaiju, I will probably have her primary build be some kind of scrapper/stalker beastie, and leave the dedicated powerhouse to Octagirl (though Kaiju will retain a gorilla-beast form, and have 30ft and maybe 60ft monster forms as stunts or future AEs). For the speedster, she is likely to spend most of her time using some "cartoon physics" and scrapper powers, saving the full-on obvious superhuman speed for the occasional need...

Still working through builds, to see what I can make work.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Looking forward to it!
------------
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

kenmadragon wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:28 pm I have a (mostly humorous) question about Cherry that I can't help but wonder about...

Seeing as Cherry is a Magical Girl, does she shout out her "Special Attack Names" when she uses them? Like with her energy-punch thing, does she call out the attack on rare occasions?

And if the answer to that is Yes, is that included in the "sometimes Cherry says things that Tim is embarrassed by" Complication? Because it sounds like it would be, LOL. :lol:
I did say she was basically a magical girl. And she has a complication about saying things Tim doesn't say himself....