Black Adam 2022

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
catsi563

Black Adam 2022

Post by catsi563 »

just got back from seeing it and it WAS AMAZING

Dwayne IS Black Adam always thought hed be awesome in the roll and he does not disappoint.

JSA some great characters as well and great play between themselves and Adam,

good story and character development

AND THAT CAMEO at the end YES :shock:

All told well worth it to see on the big screen to me it ranks above Aquaman as the best DCEU movie to date
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Bladewind

Re: Black Adam 2022

Post by Bladewind »

Not gonna lie... I had the same reaction.

I went in with zero expectations and was surprised. It was by no means perfect, but the negative reviews know nothing about the character at all (which is fair, the movie does require some knowledge of the DCU to understand so not everyone will follow some of the more subtle points)

This is an action movie and it delivers. There are also some small tweaks to Black Adam's origin that give depth to the character (at least, tweaks from my perspective. I have never seen these particular tweaks... not gonna spoil it though.)

I mean, it's an origin story with the origin told in the first five minutes.

I literally do not understand most of the negative reviews - the beginning is boring... well, we need some context to et the stage...

My own complaints - and I will wait awhile (avoid spoilers) before describing them don't take away from my overall enjoyment.... except the end scene. While cool, wanna see it, give me more... I keep scratching my head and saying.... why ? (why from a story perspective...)
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

Add me to the list of those singing this film’s praises: It’s a film that handles the Classic Anti-Hero plot with intelligence, allows the JSA to be d*** fine heroes in their own right (I’d love to see them combine forces with TVs STARGIRL and I mean that as praise), Mr Johnson is as perfect for the role as previous posts suggest AND the mere mortals get to be even bigger heroes than the ones in costumes.

What more could one ask? Bring on the inevitable SHAZAM/BLACK ADAM collision!
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Also, props for bringing in Sabacc, who is not that well-known. Watched the movie yesterday and really enjoyed myself. Johnson is perfect as Black Adam.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hodge and Brosnan as Hawkman and Doctor Fate were the highlight of the film for me.

Well, them and "Fonzie" as ...
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ken wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:30 am Hodge and Brosnan as Hawkman and Doctor Fate were the highlight of the film for me.

Well, them and "Fonzie" as ...
Teah I nearly flipped in my seat when I realized who winkler was playing :D
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

That was, in fact, a most entertaining cameo.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I just had the chance to watch this film and it was better than I was expecting. It had it's cliches, but for a formulaic movie it executed well. Its a pity DCEU is going in a different direction. This combined with the other films if done proper would have been an interesting contrast to the MCU.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

It was really good. I just hoped for some well-done action but it gave much more. Tweaked origin story of Black Adam felt much better than the original version, more tragic and suitable for an anti-hero. Film's criticism of silver age morality as well as politics was really well done. Dr. Fate was awesome, had some good writing and Pierce Brosnan carried the character very well. Super science was well-utilized. Power level of top tier DC characters was shown in a satisfying way. The director was aware of Rock's acting talent and chose to carry key scenes with other actors, which was a smart move.

Overall one of the best DC movies in my book.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I enjoyed it, for the most part, despite finding it to be a rather by-the-numbers story. If not for the special effects, I’d have thought this movie came out in ‘02 and not ‘22.

Dwayne Johnson is an actor with a limited range, but he’s damn good within that range. The dude just has sheer charisma… Black Adam was the perfect role for him. Smoldering, smug, darkly sarcastic, and oddly charming despite himself.

The supporting cast delivered solid performances too, with Pierce Brosnan and Sarah Shahi filling in those dramatic beats where The Rock would have been a bit weak on his own, but (and this is crucial) without ever upstaging him in what is supposed to be his movie. (It’s unlikely to happen, but Holy Semi-Retired Actor, Batman – I so want a solo Doctor Fate movie with Brosnan in the role!)

Typical “third act problem” that plagues so much of superhero cinematic efforts. Bad Guy wants MacGuffin, Bad Guy threatens Good Guy’s friends/family/love interest to get hands on MacGuffin, Good Guy grits his teeth and finds second wind, Good Guy beats up Bad Guy. Roll credits. Heck, they even have a Giant Sky Beam.

The first two thirds of the picture are its real strength. Black Adam’s rampage through the mercenary army occupying Khandaq is a wonderful example of the importance of a good editor, a good director, and a good SFX crew working in harmony. He demonstrates just how damn scary a Flying Brick/Paragon type superpower set can be… and The Rock’s always been a master of “wrestling psychology,” the dude just knows how to tell a story with (and during) a fight scene.

Liked it more than just about anything else in the “DCEU” so far, placing it just behind my #3 The Suicide Squad and ahead of my former #4, now #5, Harley Quinn and Whatever We Decided to Retitle This Movie Again This Week. #1 and #2 are still Shazam and Wonder Woman/Aquaman.

But Warner Bros. needs to do something to shakeup their reliance on the Standard Superhero Cinema Formula. I’ve been watching superhero movies with this plot since the early Eighties. Even the juggernaut that is the MCU has started to fall into this formula… This does not bode well for the continued success of the genre.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

I liked this movie. I had fun and watched it several times. It was well worth it to me.