Confession: A Tale Of The Sunstorm.

For those who have a way with words.
Shadowmask

Confession: A Tale Of The Sunstorm.

Post by Shadowmask »

My name is Jonny Beck aka JB on the streets but I guess it doesn't really matter anymore. I haven't long to live. I work…well worked for a big-time drug dealer named Tyrone Briggs known on the streets as Ty-Rock. Yeah, he is pretty much a big player in the Chicago underworld and around the Great Lakes Area too.

He's also a sunstormer. That's right. One of those people 'touched by the sun', becoming superpowered wack jobs and like the old Greek myth, Icarus; they will eventually be burned by the sun. At least that's the private hope of almost all people, the normal humans like me. I'm not certain if you're a superpowered freak or a damned sunbather reading this and at this point I don't really care.

Anyway I digress. I was a runner for Ty-Rock, delivering messages, smuggling some narcotics across the Canadian border. Occasionally guns too. Now that is a risky venture as the Russian mob takes issue with the competition in the arms market.

They could be quite nasty if you happen to get caught by them. But so far I've survived at least three dozen runs without anything to show for it except a few jump scares with the Mafioskis and the customs people on their payroll. Not that Briggs gives a damn if something did happen to me but if the 'merchandise' becomes …unavailable… then being detained by Customs will be the least of my worries.

Now i ain't saying working for Briggs is all that bad. He's cool on most days when everything is all fine and profitable, sometimes even generous to a fault regarding his crew. Almost a suave gentleman especially to the ladies…key word here is 'almost'.

Screw with him however and he'll strike at you…hard. And if you have family or loved ones then he will strike at them first though he will have his heavy hitter: his cousin Pig Iron do the dirty work.

Yeah, yeah. I can hear all of you scrubs laughing. "What kind of stupid name is 'Pig Iron'?" you all would ask. Long answer is he got the nickname working at a foundry in Pittsburgh for years. Short answer is once you meet him, you won't laugh anymore because by then he'll tear you apart like a warm loaf of bread with his metal arms.

That's right, like Ty-Rock, Pig Iron is a sunstormer. Strong as hell and with a metallic skin to boot. I've seen him lift a 800 lb Harley with one hand over his head and throw the motorcycle over thirty feet.

Just imagine what he does to people. Not pleasant, let me tell you.

Not that Briggs is defenseless himself. Even without his cousin and many bodyguards, he does happen to have one trick up his sleeve. A trick many if not most folks aren't aware of. Remember what i said about him being a sunstormer? Well, his power allows him to like a ghost; walking through walls, stuff like bullets or fists pass through his body without harm like it was smoke, that sort of thing.

So yeah, Briggs is pretty much untouchable in more ways than one. There was one thing he always had problems with. A problem he can't just ignore, bribe, reason with or even merely kill either by his own hand or proxy.

That problem was a person actually. A cop, probably one of the few honest cops in Chicago. Don't get me wrong though. Being honest doesn't make you nice. And Officer Helen Paladino is not a very nice person.

She is also a sunstormer. Yeah, you all know the bitch by now. The one who went public with her powers. Many people including sunstormers don't like her and the feeling is mutual.

In the case between her and Ty-Rock, it's not a matter of dislike. It was more of a bitter hatred.

Briggs and Paladino were more alike than either of them would ever care to admit. Both of them are Sunstormers and both don't really care what the world thinks of them. As far they are concerned, the rest of the planet outside America can burn. They'll bring the marshmallows to toast and just watch.

Which is why I was thinking to score big points with Briggs and do a hit on Gravity Cop. Nothing fancy, just a high powered rifle with a sniper scope.

So when she's on patrol, she will sooner or later step out of her police car and I'll be there…on a rooftop or a grassy knoll or even across the street. Smiling and waving at her before pulling the trigger. Nobody is going to miss that bitch…

Nobody......

That was the plan until someone in the crew caught wind of what i was planning and snitched to Ty-Rock.

Needless to say he wasn't happy about the potential risk to his operations in case the hit does wrong and now sent his dogs after me. By dogs, i don't mean his frigging corgis.

I can understand that. But i been planning for that eventuality for years. I've hidden away enough money and stolen a car to leave the city. All i need is to drive over the state line.

Hours later, five miles outside Chicago:

Helen finished reading the bloodstained notebook given to her by the Illinois Highway Patrolmen. She idly glanced at the black bodybag containing the mangled body of one Jon Beck being loaded onto the ambulance to be taken to the morgue. She then looked at the wrecked vehicle. Helen turned rapidly away when she saw that there were still pieces of Beck's body attached to the car.

Wordlessly she carefully placed the notebook back into the evidence bag and gave it to the patrolman standing nearby.

"We checked his wallet as there isn't anything left to properly identify him; his face was hamburger, you see..." the patrolman began but stopped talking as Paladino lifted her hand to silence him.

"I've heard enough." she said as she tossed the latex gloves aside. "I really do appreciate you contacting the department to send for me."

"You have enough to make a case?"

"No. According to his rap sheet, Beck had a criminal record a mile long. Hell, the judge most likely would like to give Briggs a medal even if there was proof.

Besides nobody is going to miss that bitch…

Nobody......"

The End.