Disney World Trip Report (Sept. 2022)

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
Jabroniville

Re: Disney World Trip Report (Sept. 2022)

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:59 pm Looks like you were working on a bit of a sunburn
Yeah I mentioned in an earlier report that twice I forgot sunscreen. This actually wasn't as bad as my last trip where I burned HARD- at least this was more uniform and there wasn't much peeling. Florida sun is so bad that even Southerners were complaining about it.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

You should have seen what Indonesian sun and humidity did to me… I’m English. Shudder. The sun is the ancient enemy of my people.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Is Belle & Aurora the last entry here? I was enjoying the report. I know I'm a bit late with this, but time is fake so you know. 😁
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:38 am Is Belle & Aurora the last entry here? I was enjoying the report. I know I'm a bit late with this, but time is fake so you know. 😁
Yeah, that's the end of the story for the most part- I'd actually done a "And then I went home" thing a bit before, and tacked all the Princess meetings at the very end.

Though I guess I actually did a "Final Summation" on Disboards I forgot to post here!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

THE TRIP HOME:
-This one was mostly uneventful, I think... THANKFULLY, as many of my trips home have been complete disasters (WestJet ripped up my suitcase on one, and on at least two I only BARELY made my gate thanks to having to go through Pearson- which is again the worst). Most impressively, I found the "Angry Birds" game on my viewscreen and ended up playing through the entire thing for the majority of the flight from Toronto to Edmonton, which is more than three hours. Given how boring this flight usually was since I'm too cheap to shell out for movies and my headphones were broken, that was a surprise. The game feels miserably random at times, as a miraculous first or second toss will be impossible to replicate when you replay it, but I FINALLY finished it... like 20 minutes before landing, lol. But hey- hard to beat not being bored on your flight home.

And that's it! The whole trip! Granted that took like 4.5 months to write out in its entirety but it was a 10-day trip, lol.
Jabroniville

Trip Summation

Post by Jabroniville »

THE TRIP SUMMATION:
-So with all that, I'm at last done. I figured this would be my last trip for a bit, so I'd make it count. Though I do find it funny that I somehow increase the length of my vacation every single time I go- despite the first trip being the "get EVERYTHING done!" one, it was only just enough time to do everything (2 MK, 1.5 Epcot, 1 AK, 1 HS, 2 Universal) and all the subsequent ones have been longer. This time was a crazy ten days in the parks in a row, going opening till close every time (except the last one, which I arrived at just as it opened for the non-resort guests).

This one ultimately reminded me the most of WHY I choose to spend all my dang money at this place- now that I've visited all of my desired vacation destinations already, it's a steady way to revisit things with a place that doesn't get "old" for me. I mean, to enjoy a vacation the same way the 3rd or 4th time compared to the 1st is pretty nuts. Maybe it'd be different if I could go every year or did monthly trips like some do, it'd be different. It also kinda made me regret going in late 2021, as so much was closed then... I was like "man, why did I go when there was no Magical Friendship Faire and parades?", but 2021 was a big "man I HAVE to go back!" trip no matter what, and it was still pretty great as they'd just brought back Meet & Greets and I got to spend a lot of random time in the parks and got recognized by staff and characters repeatedly.

This one gave me some of those irreplaceable vacation things: being specifically called out by cast members is cool enough, but a CHARACTER? ON-STAGE? Meeting a character performer's family in the audience and having them tell her about how I was a big fan, then getting the "heart with the hands" reaction and the wave? THAT is an outstanding vacation memory.

That said... it cost a fortune, and I sorta added it up later just HOW much it cost, and boy did THAT change how I might do these in the future. Until 2022, I was thinking I could afford to do "yearly trips" and not have to worry that much. But with the cost of everything skyrocketing now and airfare and the longer trip, this was closer to $6000 all in all- roughly double what it cost in 2014. And that's WITH taking advantage of a big hotel discount in the cheapest resort! I mean, it's "only" an extra $210 a day or so after a point to spend extra days. Unfortunately this trip cut me down to the point where I couldn't afford to go again right away (the first time that's happened- I usually have more saved up), and so I decided to take 2023 off at WDW and save up for Spring 2024. And even then it's been slow going- dental work has popped up as well so it'll be another couple months before I start turning a profit again. I mean another 12 months and I'll be good to go for sure, but it's sobering. I make decent money but am decidedly lower-ish middle class so it's a killer.

THE BEST STUFF:
1) Meeting an Elsa performer's family, seeing their reaction to finding out she's my favorite (her mom hugged me, lol!) then hearing about how she said "Wow, that guy beside you was REALLY excited!" and then having Elsa single me out specifically from the stage? That's an A-tier Disney memory.

2) Meeting that extra-fun Elena (I've since discovered she started in early 2022 so it's pretty fresh for her) and seeing her three times over the course of a week, so we kept a "story" going and she even hugged me the last day. A good reminder I wasn't weirding her out by going repeatedly, lol.

3) Dancing with Cinderella WOOO!!! Totally not something I've done before, since I'd never asked. I didn't even know she'd do this kind of thing.

4) The eternal "LOVE your shirt!" bits. Being a guy, you don't get to hear that very often, but it's the ultimate Disney Parks icebreaker since you're gonna meet a LOT of crossover fans in Broadway and Disney circles.

5) Finally doing all the stuff I end up not having time for on past vacations. Like doing Tom Sawyer's Island, the Country Bear Jamboree, and more.

6) I guess the last time I'll ride Splash Mountain, until I do Tokyo again.

7) Meeting the former Cast Member and talking about the parks, having worked there, how COVID broke everyone's hearts, etc. Then her lecturing me about my lack of preparedness for the rain, lol.

8) Finally seeing all the parades again. Being there enough days that a day of "rained out" parades didn't matter.

8) Being able to just walk around and take things in without having to rush. Doing the Haunted Mansion and other attractions enough times to not care about long lines (I could just skip 'em and go somewhere else), and trying to find specific things in the queues or on the rides that I'd never noticed before.

REGRETS & STUFF I'D DO DIFFERENTLY:
1) Space 220- while it's a great experience and I don't regret GOING, I regret not looking at the menu and prices beforehand, lol. No reason I had to get a full meal and spend like $120 just on that- I should have probably eaten before or after and had a more appetizer-y thing.

2) Not seeing the Mexico Pavilion. Really no excuse, as I had TONS of time (2 days plus 1.5 hours at the end of another), but the sprawl of EPCOT and me repeatedly circling the World Showcase for characters just meant I never had a big chunk of time spared. I mean, I even like the ride in it!

3) Genie+ every day. Probably not THAT required, especially given the length of my stay.

4) Not seeing the Adventure Cavalcade more. I mean I saw it twice two days in a row but I'm sure it was around on SOME of the other days (it was often rained out, though).

5) Maybe next time I'll consider buying a poncho or something. It's kind of a pain to haul stuff around by yourself so I pack light, but I got a bit tired of being soaked to the skin in cotton shirts and blue jeans for 1-2 hours a night.

I'd list the cost, but that's not so much a "regret" as something that just happens here. Though that's the major reason I can't do this again for a bit (and might have to wait a WHILE, given how hard it is to save money right now).
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

I'm glad you had a good time, Jab.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.