Disney World Trip Report (Sept. 2022)

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
Jabroniville

Day Nine

Post by Jabroniville »

DAY NINE (Magic Kingdom):
-Okay it's taken me like three months to get all this out, lol. But here's the last day! And... I kinda forget what happened between the previous one and this one. My big memory of this one was that it rained CONSTANTLY. I think we missed both parades in the afternoon, and only got the Adventure Cavalcade I already showed pictures for. We also missed most of the Magical Friendship Faire. This is the kind of thing that makes me glad I booked a REALLY long vacation, because you can have a "rotten day" of cancelled stuff like this and it doesn't really matter. Especially since you already did the stuff (vs. if your first day was rained out) so you don't spend your day worrying if you're EVER gonna see the stuff.

This day I was like "ah, screw it" about getting up super-early, so I headed to the park right at normal opening instead of "Extra Magic Mornings" (four days of that was enough!), so I was way too late for all the big rides. Just messed around instead, maybe doing Small World at opening. I was one of the first people in Haunted Mansion, though. I rode... stuff. Oddly I didn't check out Splash Mountain one final time, but the ride's in poor repair and I was wet enough, lol.

One particularly strong memory of this day was sitting in the crowd waiting for the MFF to start and someone came up to talk about my "Wicked" t-shirt (see? CONVERSATION STARTER!) and we discussed that, plus the "Frozen" connection, and then she went on about how she used to work for Disney World as a cultural representation for Latina America. She talked about being at the MFF for its last day "before everyone got fired" and how everyone watching it was a Disney staffer, and EVERYONE was crying. So she was happy to finally be back. Then the rain hit halfway through the show- sprinkling at first but then pretty bad- then she boasted/scolded about how "See, I used to live here, so *I* know how to prepare!" and promptly dropped her sneakers and jacket for a hidden poncho and flip-flops and put her shoes in her bag, lol. Alas I think all the other shows were rained out so after saying our goodbyes I didn't see her again, but it's always fun talking to staffers and ex-staffers, especially as everyone's good and cynical after a few years with the Mouse.

This time around I was in line at the Fairytale Hall and some Torontonians got all "Oh I'M SORRY" when I said I was from Edmonton- those butts. Also some lady with a busted leg was being pushed by a younger relative and she kept blathering to anyone who would listen "I'M SORRY! She's AUTISTIC!" despite nothing going wrong- like yeah she got pushed a little close sometimes ("Oh, you picked WRONG getting in line right ahead of us!" she shouted) but like... nothing was going wrong, lady. Relax. Everyone in line and the Cast Members didn't need to know about the poor kid's thing.

On this, my last night, I FINALLY went into the Winnie the Pooh ride, which has a monstrous line all the time. This time it was short... so of course it broke down, lol. But I naturally found some Disney Adults because that's my superpower now I guess, and I talked to a guy and his sister about what WDW used to be like- he remembered the Submarines and such (bringing up how they had to go- it was a huge chunk of real estate devoted to a ride that seated 12 people per thing and had no disabled access) and went yearly for ages. Thankfully the ride finally came back and I got in. I caught the scene where Mr. Toad gives the deed to Toad Hall to Owl, as well!

The incredible decor of Gaston's Tavern.

Thankfully the rain let up when it got dark, so I was able to see the Cavalcade a couple of times, figuring out the best angles for pictures. The last time I went into the Fairytale Hall I found a NEW Elena this time- she looked all of 12 years old, lol. I asked her to say goodbye to all my friends (as I was thinking I wouldn't be back for at least a year and a bit). I finally bought one of the Designer Collection Dolls- Belle, as she is Best Girl, of course. I hadn't bought one of these since the Disney Store had closed down, and I wanted some form of grand souvenir of this trip- not just the usual pins.

I got some last-minute pictures- one of me with Cinderella's magic slipper, one at the Beast's castle, and one behind the castle and the carousel. I honestly never saw these photographers on past trips- usually I'm busting past people getting their photos taken, but as this was now my FIFTH DAY in the park (!), I had run out of desire to do all the other stuff, lol.

Late at night, things were running down and I was pretty much out of things to do, so I spent an hour looking at Main Street shop stuff (I bought a few souvenirs that were last on my list- such as the doll and some princess pins). I went to the PhotoPass place on Main Street just as the day was dying down- there, I had a long conversation with the clerk at the stand as she cycled through my PP photos. Unfortunately, there was a micommunication- I had intended to pay for my PP privileges there, but SHE must have thought I was seeking to have a photo printed! So we cycled through the pics and I barely paid attention to them, and when I was finally like "man, when is she gonna ask me to pay?" I asked about it, and she was like "Oh, you don't do that HERE! Just online!" D'oh! So I wasted a bunch of hers and my time I guess... but it's not like they had anything else going on that late at night.

At least we had a good conversation about stuff- I talked about how I try to keep a respectful distance with characters, especially female ones ("I'm sure they appreciate that!" she said)- I mentioned never going in for hugs, and she ASSURED me they were cool with that, but man I dunno- if I was a girl (especially one in a job where I'm required to smile and be polite) I wouldn't want random dudes coming up and asking for hugs when I'm not in a position to say no. Finally I was like "Yeah but they have to watch out for guys getting grabby" or something like that, and she said "Yeah, but that's every job". So I think interally "Oh right- being a woman sucks. I forgot".

Aaaaaaaaaaaand that's about it! I had to hit the bus right after that (though I've learned they don't stop running those until the park is EMPTY) and headed back to the hotel. Next morning, I hit the bus and was on my way back to the airport.

Next Up: Character Meet & Greets (summing up the various ones through the parks)
Jabroniville

Merida

Post by Jabroniville »

As you can see, it was immensely hot out, lol.

MERIDA:
-Oddly, despite learning to love Meet & Greets in 2019, I never once met Merida! It's a strange combination of not remembering her movie as much and the odd placement of her M&G- she is literally right next to the castle, which means there's often a parade or Friendship Faire going on very close by, and on the way to Fantasyland. In addition, she's got weird hours, popping up in the early morning (when getting on the rides is more important, as the lines are shorter), then an extended break with intermittent early afternoon times, and that's it. Unlike other characters, you can be met until past 5pm most days, Merida seems to disappear. Honestly, 90% of the time I walk by here and don't see her at all, or the line would be too prominent. The rainy weather doesn't help.

But this time, I figured I had the time so I FINALLY hunkered down and met her on two separate days. And I learned that I can only follow about half of what she says, lol- her exaggerated Scottish accent is so wild that I'm half a step behind the entire time- "So did tha' WISPS send ya here, then?" and I realize what she said halfway through my response- stuff like that. It's kind of hilarious seeing all the Princesses with their "perfect, practiced poses", which means that Belle is moving exactly like the movie character, and all the other Princesses have dainty poses and mannerisms... and Merida's like "HEY 'SUP?" and leaning aggressively on stuff like a total tomboy! I bet she's a hoot to play for this reason.

Merida goes in for a hug and I'm like "Wait, what?"

The first interaction was a bit funny, as an old dude was ahead of me with his own camera, and he went in for a hug! I later saw him do the same with Cinderella- I was like "oh, dude, I don't think that's cool..." but sure enough, Merida did the same thing to me (despite the absolute horrifying amount of sweat on the front of my shirt) so I guess she's just a hugger.

I have two of this shirt and washed them each day! I swear!

On my third day at MK I met Merida again, with a different girl with a much rounder face. It occurs to me that Merida's a bit strange to meet, given how the movie character is barely a teenager while the performers in the parks are in their early 20s or so. This one asked about transforming into a bear or somesuch thing (sadly a better response came to me later- "I've never been, but a gay friend of mine insists I'd make a good one!") and we did a mutual "bear claws" pose into the camera.

https://jabroniville.smugmug.com/Prince ... -4VSkscq/A A video!! Not sure if this works.

This location, like Belle, actually has PhotoPass- it seems that only the Fairytale Hall and EPCOT "outside princesses" are lacking PhotoPass at this point. I actually got a bit distracted talking to the photographer before I met Merida on the second day!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Re: Disney World Trip Report (Sept. 2022)

Post by Shock »

The video worked for me
Jabroniville

Rapunzel

Post by Jabroniville »

Baby Raps! Man, some of the face characters are young, lol.

RAPUNZEL:
-Rapunzel, like Elena, actually has a TV show with shockingly deep lore, giving me lots ot talk about... but oddly I found that most of them barely mentioned the show at all even when prompted. When I congratulated Raps on making friends with Cassandra (who went evil and turned on Rapunzel, but went back on her side) again, I was mostly greeted with "... yes, well friends are important!" like they didn't even watch the show. I didn't press the matter. The first Rapunzel I met might have been super-new, because she stalled out on the conversation repeatedly and *I* had to keep it going- this is usually the opposite in most meet & greets. I felt kinda bad for her, because the attendant watching could have totally tattled or something- you never know. Another Rapunzel did the usual thing and noticed my side-satchel (as she and/or Flynn use them as well)- this inevitably turned to the uses for satchels. I believe a couple of times Pascal was brought up, and at one point we discussed our mutual artistic ventures- I referred to the difficulty of catching Flynn's nose properly.
Jabroniville

Tiana

Post by Jabroniville »

TIANA:
-Disney's pushes for Tiana continue, as she is the "headliner" of the left side of the Fairytale Hall. Pretty much every Tiana conversation involves food (these poor girls must be STARVING- they gotta go on about food all day AND they have to stay thin for their jobs!)- one suggested I shouldn't eat beignets with my black Wicked shirt on. I congratulated a couple on hearing about her TV series starting- I actually kinda ran out of new ideas so I copied conversations from one I met in 2021 (I didn't see her here, I think)- that "I hope you get to stay human in this one more often!" (controversially, the "Black Disney Princess" movie featured her in non-human state for most of it) to which she agreed. A past Tiana had actually told me she was hoping that, so I swiped her comment!

We talked about the various outfits she wears, too- she LOVES the "flapper dress" look. I will say that Tiana is maybe the most impressive performer in terms of "acting"- Cinderella & Aurora do generic "soft princess voices", Rapunzel & Anna are just goofy, and Elsa almost never attempts to match the voice of Idina Menzel... but Tiana ALWAYS has that Southern accent. The only other one to maintain a "voice" consistently is Belle, who does a very prominent rendition of her movie voice (oddly almost capturing Susan Egan's Broadway performance more than Paige O'Hara's animated one).

Neatest bit was a middle-aged black woman who was just in tears on meeting Tiana, wiping them away while her husband took a picture- one of those "SEE!? It matters!" moments.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’m still holding out hope for a Disney Princess from England. Eilonwy is from a wholly fictional land, but very clearly Welsh. Alice, Wendy, and Jane aren’t princesses.Maid Marian isn’t a princess, just part of the minor gentry, and she’s an anthropomorphic fox.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Cinderella

Post by Jabroniville »

See, looking at these now, I can which one I later met at Cinderella's Royal Table. The outfit here is so all-encompassing they kinda blend together.

CINDERELLA:
-Cinderella is apparently the most popular princess in the world (though I'd imagine Elsa surpassed her in a few places), and this is HER castle, so she's a big deal here, partnering up with Elena. I dig Elena more because Cinderella is usually portrayed as a very "generic" Princess, always acting nice and charming and very calm. I've still had some fun conversations with her (one time she was VERY emphatic in suggesting we dance together at some point and I deflected to asking about her very available stepsisters, lol). Again we talked about their availability, though oftentimes the convo went to talking about her mice friends. I even drew Elena lore into things with the aforementioned bit about the Jacquins. Another time Lucifer was brought up.

Cinderella, for some reason, is hard to tell apart in terms of performers- usually they're the ones who recognize me, not the other way around! This only happened once here, though, as when I went to her Royal Table, the one taking photos suddenly said "Oh- we've met before!".

The best bit was on Day Three (my second MK day) when Cinderella had the attendant taking pictures and then went "Would you like to dance with me?", THEN DID. Naturally I handled this with all the charm I could muster (translation: I sputtered and got flustered) as she took my hand, insisted I put my hand on her hip (as I tried but was like "where is the hip on this thing?"- their dresses are HUGE), then she leaned over to grab the edge of her skirt and the attendant took the video. This made me a hero to my Facebook friends temporarily- I can tell I have a lot of nerdy friends when most of the comments were "Oh my god, I could NEVER do that! I'd be way too nervous!" or "Wow I'd be afraid of stepping on her feet- dancing is the one black man superpower I don't have".

This is pretty remarkable- you can probably ASK Princesses to do this, but I find it kind of not okay to do that, I guess? Mostly as a heterosexual male meeting Princesses at their job, I find there's a "power differential" at work where they're not supposed to say no, which can make things awkard if they don't want to put their hands on a male guest or vice-versa. Like I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable at work (nor am I outgoing enough to ask strangers to dance in the first place, lol) and don't want to have people backstage going "OMG did you get that weird bald guy trying to DANCE with you?". Even better, the attendant must have been clued in and switched to video at this point so I was able to show people properly. Vacation MADE.

https://jabroniville.smugmug.com/Prince ... -ms8h5nt/A: Proof this actually happened, lol.
Jabroniville

Elena of Avalor

Post by Jabroniville »

That look when the Princess catches you about to take a picture when they're not looking.

ELENA OF AVALOR:
-Elena of Avalor is actually one of my favorite characters to meet- in part because she has a cool look and a really good TV show that actually has incredibly deep lore. I was concerned Disney would dump her from the parks, especially with Encanto also starring a Latina character who was a big hit, but as Elena is a real PRINCESS (well, Queen), she still fits in here. Though the joke is often "So, who are you?" with adults in particular not recognizing her, apparently the show started doing very well on Disney+ during the pandemic, to the point where she's gotten a new lease on life as a popular-ish character. And there's a lot to talk about, as that show ran 79 episodes, featured tons of unique animals (like the flying cat Jacquins)

I actually picked this up a bit while at the parks- while I heard one parent go "Look- it's JASMINE!" a lot of people were "Look- it's ELENA!". The one time in all my years I've ever seen a non-Elena princess in that spot, hilariously the more famous princess (Aurora) was meeting a little girl dressed as Elena who just wanted to talk about Elena stuff! I saw a handful of mini-Elenas around the parks. I also saw the clear delight in a group of Spanish-only speakers when the character who met them heard them stumble in English and went "Habla Espanol?" and began talking to them in their own language. She introduced herself as "Reina Elena", as she's now Queen in the finale of her show.

In my 2021 trip, I met the same Elena twice in one day, later encountering the same performer as a puppeteer at Animal Kingdom- she wasn't here this time but in the seven times I went into this part of the Fairytale Hall (what? It was a long trip!) I met about five different Elenas. While I couldn't tell you every conversation, I'll say that one was particularly good, having met her three times over the course of a week. I met her first on Day Two, where she saw my Wicked shirt and asked if I was a wizard- I explained I was training with her friend Mateo from the show (indicating I actually watch it), then again on Day Three, where a few seconds in she's like "Wait! We met before- you're the wizard!" Usually I get recognized quicker than that, but this time I namedropped even deeper lore, like how Mateo defeated Fiyero via a cool wall-kick (Elena is a surprisingly action-packed show- Elena is the only Disney Princess other than Mulan to KILL someone!).

This time, she decided to tell me a joke, regarding why someone never races Cinderella's mouse Jacques- I anticipated seconds ahead of time she was gonna say "Because JAC-QUINS" and openly cringed (POLITELY so- I was at least chuckling, I swear!) and said "That's a dad joke, Elena" and brought up how Elena & Mateo are infamous for laughing at horrible puns in the show. When meeting the same performer repeatedly I often wonder if they think I'm some crazy person (or worse, a creeper) coming in endlessly but I appear to have left a positive impression, because the third time I saw this one she actually ran up and hugged me, calling me "My wizard friend!".

This Elena was having some kind of an issue with her wig- I saw a rare "off-stage"-ish moment when she twirled part of the hair (Elena has a LOT of hair, and 1-2 side-tails that twirl around), gesturing to it at the character attendant and shrugging despondently like it looked awful- just SO defeated, lol. I didn't call attention to it, but during the conversation she felt the need to add "I've been JACQUIN RIDING- it messed up my hair, tee hee!" so it was obviously on her mind, lol. She looked INSANELY young, too- people who saw videos of her on TikTok even commented on it. The character DOES go from 16-20 during the course of her show, but it's still pretty noticeable when someone is barely even twenty.

One Elena went into what is probably a "filler conversation" asking about how they should celebrate a parade in Avalor- I suggested pinatas of her enemies Ash & Shuriki. She'd rather not remember those two, apparently. Another time I mentioned the Sunbirds, and she clearly remembered the name of Qita Moz in particular. I asked one if Cinderella's mice were afraid of the Jacquins, given how scary Lucifer was (they are not; apparently the Jacquins are quite friendly to them). One Elena was one I'd actually met last year- the other three I met then weren't around (one I know was on vacation then, having seen her IG).

This one I'd actually seen in 2021. And it looks like my lips stopped being chapped this day at least, lol.

The last time I went into the Hall, I met the youngest-looking face character I've ever seen as Elena- after talking with her, there were still a family or two waiting for Cinderella so I turned around and asked the only question of the convo I really remember- "So do you outrank all the other Princesses now that you're Queen?" She giggled and was like "I think my crown's a little TOO new just yet".

One thing I always find kinda funny is how there never appears to be any "face rules" for Elena- other Princesses have to have long faces (Aurora), round ones (Belle), or other similar dimensions (most Cinderellas look a LOT alike). But with Elena, NOBODY seems to look very similar- you just have to be Latina and young enough, I guess. I've seen some very young-looking ones- the one I met on my final day looked like she could have been 13 years old, lol. The one I met thrice was much more striking than the others, with prominent features.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Disney has a reputation for hiring multilingual cast members and going the extra mile with employee retention efforts for cast members that speak less common languages. The one time I went to Disney Land, my mum had a lengthy conversation with a ride operator in Welsh (my mum’s Welsh is limited, she claims, but she’s also a linguist… her idea of “limited” is not at all similar to us earthlings) and when I was living in Indonesia I made friends with the owner of our local grocery store who told me she worked at DisneyWorld in the eighties and they kept giving her special perks because she spoke English, Indonesian, Javanese, Malay, and Sudanese (and had a pretty decent smattering of Chinese, Arabic, and French too.)

Anyhoo, I’d imagine that when casting Elena they’re probably looking for fluent Spanish speakers. It’s probably a big bonus in the hiring process for any face role to be bilingual so you can interact with more guests, but with Elena I think it would matter more than any other Princess.

(Well, I’d want a Welsh-speaking Princess Eilonwy, but Disney refuses to admit she exists.)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Actually princesses are very specifically forbidden from speaking second languages. The Anna who did ASL at a guest probably got reprimanded for it, even. Elena would be an exception as a Latina.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:49 am Actually princesses are very specifically forbidden from speaking second languages. The Anna who did ASL at a guest probably got reprimanded for it, even. Elena would be an exception as a Latina.
That’s just insane. Jasmine should obviously be incentivized to speak Arabic, Mulan to know Mandarin, Belle to know French, Snow White to know German, et cetera. I cannot even conceive of a Merida that doesn’t speak Scots.

Obviously, it’s probably not possible for every cast member hired to be “a friend of Princess Aurora” to be fluent in 14th Century moyen français, but you’d think they’d want to encourage them to speak modern French.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:51 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:49 am Actually princesses are very specifically forbidden from speaking second languages. The Anna who did ASL at a guest probably got reprimanded for it, even. Elena would be an exception as a Latina.
That’s just insane. Jasmine should obviously be incentivized to speak Arabic, Mulan to know Mandarin, Belle to know French, Snow White to know German, et cetera. I cannot even conceive of a Merida that doesn’t speak Scots.

Obviously, it’s probably not possible for every cast member hired to be “a friend of Princess Aurora” to be fluent in 14th Century moyen français, but you’d think they’d want to encourage them to speak modern French.
The issue is "continuity of character"- every Aurora is "supposed" to be Aurora, so if she speaks French to you one time, she should speak French EVERY time.

This is why they have the "Face Rules" and they're all supposed to look alike... except sometimes they don't. Like how all the Elenas look different, and Tiana appears to have no face rules beyond "be black". And the one time I met an Aurora with a Southern accent XD.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:11 am
Batgirl III wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:51 pm

The issue is "continuity of character"- every Aurora is "supposed" to be Aurora, so if she speaks French to you one time, she should speak French EVERY time.

This is why they have the "Face Rules" and they're all supposed to look alike... except sometimes they don't. Like how all the Elenas look different, and Tiana appears to have no face rules beyond "be black". And the one time I met an Aurora with a Southern accent XD.
I thought the two Meridas you met looked quite different. Personally I preferred the one who did the bear claw thing. But, hopefully she was equally difficult to understand. Real Scottish accents are difficult to understand if one isn't from the UK.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Belle & Aurora

Post by Jabroniville »

You can tell which ones were PhotoPass, lol.

BELLE:
-The Belle meet & greet has seen better days- "Enchanted Tales With Belle" was a really neat attraction with a great "Magic Mirror" effect, leading to "gold dress Belle" in the only time you'll see her like that in a meet & greet outside of the Akershus dining hall. This was killed with the pandemic, and oddly has yet to return (maybe the repeated handling of the props is a no-go). Instead, they instituted a distanced meet & greet for the first time during my 2021 trip (it was "scooped" the next morning; the one time I was able to see Disney news as it happened). Nowadays they just have a regular meet inside the cabin (which was just a queue and way into the main room), with Belle in her peasant dress. I met her three times this way- one time the attendant was a big Broadway fan and we nerded out over Wicked, and he high-fived me when I finally made it back to the queue shortly before it closed ("Yes! You made it back!"). A different Belle every time, and this one actually had PhotoPass (which was kinda weird, as the Fairytale Hall, a bigger M&G with more importance, did not).

Here were some fun conversations: Belle is usually the best overall CHARACTER and has some real spirit (though isn't as snarky as the movie version- they always have to be polite). Looking at my shirt once, Belle theorized I must love adventure stories. Another time, the cogs on the Wicked logo (yes I have multiple Wicked shirts, lol) inspired her to ask if I was an inventor, and we commiserated over that. I was like "Yeah! ... they don't always TURN OUT right, though!" (this is probably the source of me making weird faces up there, lol) and this naturally led to her talking about her father and how HIS don't always work. I theorized that "Having a smart daughter probably helps a lot!" and this blatant flattery got her to do the "Princess Blush" pose and "Well thank you very much!". I believe I mentioned eating at the Beast's castle and commented on how adventurous escargot is by my usual standards. Another time she suggested we go adventuring or reading together or something and I did double thumbs-up like a total dork, so I'm glad the PhotoPass didn't pick up that one. One did capture me mimicking back Belle's "Talk with her hands" thing so apparently I really just subconsciously respond to body language by mirroring it (this might explain my "hands clasped in front of me" pose with so many Princesses).

AURORA:
-And then, wonder of wonders, the most mind-blowing thing happened: In all my past trips where I entered the Hall, which would be twice in 2019, four times in 2021 and seven times in 2022, I have only EVER met Elena of Avalor alongside Cinderella. So imagine my surprise when I prep my "Elena conversation", walk into the room at last... and there's PRINCESS AURORA!! Humorously having a conversation with a girl in an Elena dress who was probably there to meet Elena (dark irony given how Elena's stereotyped as not being well-known). I think even I just brought up Elena to her, which is funny given how Aurora's fairly popular. When I mentioned this to an attendant she was like "OH WOW! Lucky- you NEVER see Aurora in there!". I figure they must have run out of Elenas and called in an alternate for the other room (Face Characters often have fully-dressed "alternates" who might not even work that day, just in case).
Shock

Post by Shock »

Looks like you were working on a bit of a sunburn