Vanguard Academy IC: Dorm Daze

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Tattooedman

Vanguard Academy IC: Dorm Daze

Post by Tattooedman »

Everyone:

Through various trials and tribulations, each of you have found yourselves becoming a student at the Vanguard Academy; an institution based in Capital City where you are supposed to be taught how to control and use your powers in a responsible manner.

Despite your various personal situations, all of you have arrived at different times over the past few weeks.

OOC wrote:So here's the IC Thread, RP your hearts out gang.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Arkrite

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Arkrite »

Maximilian "Mack" Butler

Mack cheerfully walked further into the grounds, a duffle bag (Chris' and his own) over each shoulder, as well as his backpack. It was a scary, exciting day.

Scary because his parents had left. They'd been sad to go, and hug all around, sad tears, his sister promising to steal all of his comics. They weren't going to be there when he needed them.

Exciting because he was in a superhero school. Superhero school!

"How cool is this?" He asked his brother, "Do you think they have a secret jet? Do you think they'll let me fly the secret jet?"

He tilted his head back and laughed. It was a force of habit now to use the melodramatic gestures to make up for the fact that people couldn't rely on his facial expressions anymore. That being said the big black hoodie with the hood up was doing a fair job of hiding his face, and thanks to that the jeans and sneakers really just made him look like any other kid.

Well, any other extremely skinny kid.

"Uh... I have no idea where we're supposed to be going," Mack admitted looking around, "Did you get a map or should we start asking around?"
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Dennis Sloane
HP: 1, LP: 3; Condition: Fine

Dennis is standing in the center of the courtyard, looking at a map of the campus. He looks up from the map and eyes several buildings and then back at the map. He rotates the map 90 degrees (again) and scowls.

Dad had to leave to catch his flight back. He wanted to stay longer, but he had work tomorrow. Dennis tried to play it cool so Dad wouldn't worry. Well, worry more. Mom, too.

He picks up his suitcase and walks up to one of the buildings and stares at the name. Then he looks at the map and locates the building on it. He looks up at the next building and then back at the map. Nowhere near the other building.

Maybe the map is some sort of upper classmen prank.

He turns the map 90 degrees and tries again.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Jessamine Sinclair
HP: 1 | Condition: Acceptable

Her father had another meeting with one of the school counselors today. Part of the process of making sure her personal rights would be respected while here at the school, even with the mandatory sessions. It was expected that he'd ensure everything would operate as it should, he was well respected in his field when it came to these situations. There was no need for her to worry, so long as he did his part.

Accompanying him here wasn't necessary for the process, yet it'd offer her a chance to tour the grounds without a chaperone this time. Understanding the layout wasn't an issue, she was confident she'd memorized it herself. The real benefit would be to come into contact with her new peers both in her year and without. Already she'd encountered a few of them, cluing her in on some of the existing hierarchical structures that already existed within her year. It'd be a challenge to rebuff Geri's leadership status, yet perhaps having her up front would be useful in other ways. There was no need to make an enemy of someone that had such a clear future in super heroics ahead of her.

Perhaps, instead, it'd be better to ingratiate herself with some of her new underclassmen instead. "You seem lost." She spoke, looking down at the kid looking intently at his own copy of the map. Her approach was from just behind him, hands in her pants pockets to give off an air of approachability that conflicted with the frown etched into her features.

OOC: No idea how tall Sloane is, but I'm fairly sure she has him beat either way.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Dennis Sloane
HP: 1, LP: 3; Condition: Impressed

"I think I'm being punked," Dennis responds to the voice behind him.

He turns the map back and forth a few times. He then folds it and places it in his left hand and looks over his shoulder to see.. a chest.

He turns his head up to see the face of a woman easily a foot taller than him.

Neat

"Hi, I'm Dennis," he says, reaching around with his right hand.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Jessamine Sinclair

"Jessamine." She responded, taking the boy's hand, cross on her neck shifting from the movement. Pointless gestures like this were key when it came to social interactions. Eyes shifting towards where he folded the paper, she held her other hand out. "Let me see. Which building are you looking for?"
------------
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Dennis Sloane
HP: 1, LP: 3; Condition: Intrigued

Dennis hands the person the map and looks back on the sheet with his dorm and room assignment.

"Mnfgrnbs," he says reading the sheet. He shows her the paper with the garbled print on it.

"Either this is hazing, or this school uses discount toner cartridges."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Violet
HP: 1 | Condition: Nervous

Valerie had been dreading this day. Not because of the trouble of moving in, or getting used to the school layout - she'd finished both of those long ago. She'd come to Vanguard Academy as soon as her family turned custody of her over to the school, and after a brief adjustment period, she came to love it. More freedom than she'd ever known before, and near-solitude to enjoy it in? Perfect!

Now the normal students were arriving, and her happy solitude was coming to an end. She'd looked up every arriving and returning student she could get the name of in an attempt to figure out who would be most capable of melting her with a look, and who would be most likely to feel like doing it, but she still thought it would be better to stay in her room and keep to herself for a few days until the other students calmed down. Which was why she was spending the day going to and from the cafeteria, bringing snacks back to her room like a squirrel getting ready for hibernation.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Jessamine Sinclair

"Printing error."She says confidently, regardless of if it was or not. She looks at him again, guestimating based on his appearance and general demeanor his age and grade level. "It's fine. You can get a new copy of your schedule at the front office later if you tell them your information. Gamma class, right? I can show you where your dorms are from here."
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Skew
HP: 1 | LP: 2 | Cnd: Snarky

Wally Iverson leaned against a nearby brick wall where he could see newbies coming in. If he were more empathetic he'd remember his own flailings around the unfamiliar and daunting campus 6 weeks ago. But that wasn't Wally. He stood casually with a vape between his lips the occasional puff of fluffy white smoke followed the *currr* sound of the percolating fluid. A slight shimmer over one eye wouldn't be familiar yet to anyone else as an indicator that he was scanning the whole of the campus for similar scenes of amusement as evidenced by the smirk across his face.

He'd initially been pissed that his academic aptitudes indicated he needed to be with the first years. He was ten-and-six already! I aint no blarmy kidminder! Let 'em wipe their own fannies and sniv'lin' noses, he'd complained. An industrious school counselor had told Wally to consider that it was another year he could stay, rent-free, basic-meals-included, and stipend-receiving so he'll be better set up when he left on his own. It bypassed the adult-at-18, end-of-benefits clause, and he could stay in the loophole status for extra time, including legal help if he got pinched. Wally'd scoffed at the last - like bobbies would ever nick him, yeah right! - but the rest made sense and he didn't feel as bad about it.

One new arrival caught his attention though. Even as he was stepping forward a silvery portal appeared like a slash in the air before him. His foot landed on a path somewhat different than the ground he left and the rest of his body followed through the instantly-expanding portal.

A few feet in front of Max Butler and his brother a lanky kid with light brown hair emerged from a sliver disk that appeared, and just as quickly disappeared.

"Cor! You aint nuffin' but bones! 'Ow you even walkin', Bruv?" Wally stares in awe at the tall skeletal figure before him, the vape in his hand visible but forgotten in the face of this new oddity.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Mesh
HP:1 CND: Curious

Mateo leaned back against the stair behind him as he watched the newcomers. He'd been here for a couple of days and used that time to familiarize himself with the surroundings. Now, he sat on the stairs in front of the admissions building, enjoying the early sun, wondering what colorful characters might come along.
++++
For a brief moment, his surroundings changed, the stairs becoming the edge of a wooden pier, waves gently lapping against wood as deckhands prepared the Argo for departure.
Suddenly, the pier started trembling as a massive figure settled down next to him. " Hrm...", Heracles made, " wonder what's keeping him so long"
He shrugged, ignoring the aura of power emanating from the demigod, something he'd had a lot of practice with. " Jason will show up when he shows up. Trust me, there's no need for impatience. If there's anything people like us have, it's time."
Heracles frowned. " Did anyone ever tell you you're a strange one, Peleus?"
" My wife. Every single day. According to her, you get used to it. Hey, isn't that Theseus?"
++++
He blinked, a melancholic smile crossing his face. Days of high adventure, indeed. Some called him and his comrades 'The first Superteam.'

He looked around and let out a soft chuckle. A school for superhumans. What a grand idea. Back in the day, those gifted had to figure things out themselves and were lucky to get a mentor or a god to instruct them. Now, heroics were taught in school. He doubted they would be able to teach him much about that, but at least here, people knew what they were dealing with. It was a nice place to stay, at least until he finally became of age again.
" 18", he muttered to himself, " who even got that idea in the first place?"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Blair "Indigo" Holland (gamma)
Dodge: 8, Parry: 8, Tough: 8, Fort: 8, Will: 8; Perception: +10
HP: 1; Location: porting around campus; Condition: Normal
civilian clothes
civilian clothes
Concept Collective.png (202.86 KiB) Viewed 18034 times
Today was the day. Blair had spent the night before picking out her outfit for today for several hours. Her brothers were giving her a wide berth. Her mother entered her room several times to tell her to calm down. But she was wired, stoked to be headed to Vanguard, a place where she did not have to hide her alpha status. This was also the first time she was going to fly in a plane.

After many hugs goodbye, Blair boarded the plane. Her clothes had been shipped to campus separately so she only had a carry-on bag and one last minute clothes luggage bag checked below. On arrival, there was a driver from the Academy waiting at the terminal and she was so glad there was an adult to help her navigate the unknown airport. She and her luggage were soon driving from the airport to the Academy grounds. The driver was friendly and Blair could not stop asking questions.

On campus, the driver took Blair to her dorm in the Gamma building. Blair teleported repeatedly on the way to the building. The driver was glad to hand Blair off to the dormitory house mother. "She's a bundle of energy," the driver joked. "We'll drain her of that in no time," the house mother said.

With her stuff half unpacked in her room, she left the dorm, no one seemed to be around. She walked out the front door and saw another freshman girl looking lost. She teleported straight to her and introduced herself a thousand miles an hour. "Hi, I'm Blair. Are you new here too? It's so exciting isn't it? Love your skirt. It's so cute." The girl was friendly but a bit put off. "Do you know who that is? I don't. Let's find out." She teleported to someone else and repeated her introduction. Before greeting someone else. She was hoping to find someone else who was excited.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Dennis Sloane

"Thank you, Jessamine. I appreciate your assistance."

While he was fairly certain she was sincere, even if this was a continuation of the hazing, at least Dennis would have a definite face to put on his Trust/No Trust list.

Looking back at his sheet, he continues. "We have a little luck on the room number. It is either 108... or 10B." Could have easily been a lot worse.

He wonders what bring the tall girl here. He had seen supers on the television over the past few years, and while their abilities are unusual compared to what he had Dad had faced regularly, nothing really surprised him. Some of the people here were pretty obvious in their abilities, others less so.

Take Dennis, for example. He didn't go running around with a ridiculous wand sporting a special scar on his forehead. His brother and sister wouldn't shut up about those books when they saw him stop the gang members. They are as much nonsense as the magical aptitude test he took a week ago. They spoke about magic like it was a lot different sciences. They might as well have been talking Chinese.

Dad had tried to reassure him that it was just nerves. Yeah, it wasn't that.

He snaps back to the present and realizes he should probably be talking to the nice girl who is helping him find his dorm room.

"So, Jessamine, where are you from?"

Good one, Doofus.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Jessamine Sinclair

"Unless you've been assigned to the basement, it's the former." She stated flatly, before handing him back the map. That one looked normal in comparison to her own, so the only solution was an issue with his schedule whether that was natural it artificial. If it was the latter, she'd figure out who did so in time.

Falsifying information like that was unacceptable.

"Capital city."Once his question had registered, the answer came smoothly. Continuing from there, "Imigrated here from Surrey a few years ago. What about yourself?"
------------
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Dennis Sloane

"Me and Dad travelled around all the time, didn't really have a place to call home. My adoptive family lives in Houston, and that is where I have been the past two years."

Dennis can't even decide which life he likes more. Sure, it was great helping people and saving lives, but it was also nice just hanging out at home with the family, watching Netflix and eating popcorn.