What Job For A Flying Invincible Paragon?

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Davies

What Job For A Flying Invincible Paragon?

Post by Davies »

So there you are, creating a superhero universe filled with homages to various other superhero universes, and the time comes to develop the mundane life of your flying invincible paragon. What does their secret identity do for a living?

Newspaper reporter is right out, BTW. (Also TV/radio reporter.) But it still needs to be a job that allows them a great deal of flexibility so they can fly off and do invincible paragon stuff, and that can get them into trouble. Financial considerations are not particularly important, since they can pretty much get any amount of money that they need from flying to the asteroid belt and extracting rare earth metals that they then sell. (Did you think I was going to say, 'crush a lump of coal to make a diamond'?)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
NoOneofConsequence

Re: What Job For A Flying Invincible Paragon?

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

Wealthy playboy.
Bestselling novelist who writes under multiple pennames.
Jetsetting socialite involved with several NGOs.
Wildlife photographer.
Wandering vagrant.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Davies

Post by Davies »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:02 am Wildlife photographer.
<takes notes>
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:59 am
NoOneofConsequence wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:02 am Wildlife photographer.
<takes notes>
That is a good one.

Best I can think of is Incredibly Eccentric Artist.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Thanks to the internet, there's a variety of "work from home" jobs available, such as selling different types of crafts online. Various types of drawn or digital art, baking, various types of home made items, possibly even things things that he could use his strength for. Imagine a guy who ran a website with 'recycled art' where he turned car bumpers or other kinds of metal into nifty little statues, bracelets, etc. Imagine a bracelet made of something like a car engine block or something. There'd probably be some kind of market for stuff like that.

Likewise, having a YouTube channel could work if they had the charisma or ability to gain some kind of popularity. When they aren't out crimefighting, they can use their super-stamina to spend hours recording videos, editing them, having a solid backlog of videos that can be released daily depending on their content, etc.

Various types of photographer would work. The wildlife one is a good one.

A janitorial job could work as well, if you can arrange things so that you have the freedom to work after hours with little oversight. Depending on the location, cameras could be an issue tho.

Various types of data collectors, statisticians, data entry jobs and the like usually have pretty flexible schedules from what I understand.

Certain types of editors and proofreaders have some flexible schedules.

Some accounting and bookkeeping jobs can be pretty flexible.

Any small-time business that the person owns outright and can hire a manager and workers to handle the day-to-day stuff.

Being a landlord or a superintendent that rents out properties and will occasionally need to handle maintenance work.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I'm gonna put in another vote for Super Steve Irwin.

(I've had an idea in the back of my mind for a while of an invulnerable journalist with a public identity, but that's not really the same thing...)
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

Hmm. By day, Ultraman; by night, the world's fastest knitter who sells scarfs on Etsy.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

Perhaps an author of travel guides?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Libra X wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:02 pm Perhaps an author of travel guides?
As with the wildlife photographer, this provides a great excuse for them to be just about anywhere in the world at any given time, and possibly better anonymity.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Ohhh... how about chairperson of a big charity organization?
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

That strikes me as more of a ‘Caped Crusader’ day job - unless you want your paragon to be slightly too good to be True.😉
Ken

Post by Ken »

Homeless person.

Being invincible, he may not need to eat. His civilian ID would be largely "invisible" to a lot of people. Loosely knit community that if he isn't seen for a few days (because of his super work) would just assume he's trying a different part of the city. Plenty of people who could get into trouble that he'd feel obliged to help. Plenty of room for social commentary.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ken wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:36 pm Homeless person.
You mean like Spawn?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:55 pm
You mean like Spawn?
No, presumably a Flying Paragon worth talking about would actually get involved.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:16 pm
Davies wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:55 pm
You mean like Spawn?
No, presumably a Flying Paragon worth talking about would actually get involved.
I've never read Spawn, so I don't know.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.