Removing ability scores

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
kenseido

Re: Removing ability scores

Post by kenseido »

jmucchiello wrote: It doesn't matter to the game. That's narrative. Why your friend has +10 Guitar Playing and someone else has +10 Guitar Playing does not matter. Only the +10 matters to the game.
How can that not matter to the game? He can get a +5 with only 1 skill point, whereas I probably need to spend 6 skill points to get a +5.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

kenseido wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:31 pm How can that not matter to the game? He can get a +5 with only 1 skill point, whereas I probably need to spend 6 skill points to get a +5.
Because I want to get rid this as a source of min/maxing. If you make a hero with 7 Expertises, why spend more than 1 skill point on each and just elevate their Intellect. It save points. It maximizes bang for the buck. Each power point should be "equal" to best of the game's ability to do so. Shouldn't this be the case?

You are arguing about what is. I am arguing about what can be. I can't disagree with you. It is how it is. But could it not be better? Are there not other ways to do it that retains all that good with M&M and makes power points more equal across characters?
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

I don't think your idea makes it better. I am done talking about this.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

kenseido wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:51 pm I don't think your idea makes it better. I am done talking about this.
That is your right. It's just an untried idea. No need to be snippy about it.

Take care, fellow traveler.
SHIELD Analyst 44

Post by SHIELD Analyst 44 »

I like it. It makes sense. Rather than having several rolls boosted or penalised automatically by a single trait that all people have, even if the trait is a 0 by default, you simply have every character treat every type of roll pretty much separately, with multiple roll bonuses and penalties being more of an opt in option.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Christ almighty.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

If I'm remembering correctly, in 2E there was a PL-related cap on the number of skill ranks a character could have, instead of a cap on the total bonus. If the game designers wanted to have ability scores that were, functionally, collections of skill bonuses, but still have them be separate from the skills themselves, I think that was a better way to do it. It would be an easy thing to house-rule back into 3E, though.