Favorite superhero settings?

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
CoyoteUnion

Favorite superhero settings?

Post by CoyoteUnion »

What are your favorite superhero settings that AREN'T DC/Marvel (if they got bought later like Wildstorm they're okay) or M&M's Earth-Prime? Could be comics, RPGs, etc. Always looking for new ideas.
Davies

Re: Favorite superhero settings?

Post by Davies »

CoyoteUnion wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:31 am What are your favorite superhero settings that AREN'T DC/Marvel (if they got bought later like Wildstorm they're okay) or M&M's Earth-Prime? Could be comics, RPGs, etc. Always looking for new ideas.
Mine.
The Phoenixverse.
The Extraordinary Mythos.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

CoyoteUnion wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:31 am What are your favorite superhero settings that AREN'T DC/Marvel (if they got bought later like Wildstorm they're okay) or M&M's Earth-Prime? Could be comics, RPGs, etc. Always looking for new ideas.
I've always been a bit partial to the Valiant Universe.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The Freedom Force games have a deliberately Silver Age setting that's honestly a lot of fun, with a great cast of characters and just a lot of energy.

AC Comic's FemForce universe was actually a lot of fun for the most part as well, even if it indulged in more than a little cheesecake.

The Wildguard Universe also had a fun mix of characters, had a lot of creativity and was the only good implementation of a Reality TV superhero setting I've ever seen.

Astro City. Nuff Said.

My Hero Academia. ALSO Nuff Said.

The Kamen Rider Universe(s) also deserve a shout out.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Ares wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:11 am The Kamen Rider Universe(s) also deserve a shout out.
Requisite Super Sentai/Ultra Series/Metal Heroes shoutout as well.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I've been maintaining the RC Universe for nearly 35 years. I have a certain attachment to it.

I'm also rather fond of the world of Amazing Woman and the Liberty Guild, and the first episode of season 2 is out today.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

For me that list includes

- The Ultraverse (before Marvel bought them)
- Super Unicorn's Crooks setting
- Champions New Millennium (never played it but the 3 books for it made fir an interesting "new heroes rise up to carry on for recently killed known heroes")
- !mpact Comics (DC's take on the Red Circle characters in the 90s)
-Super Powered Legends (RPG)
- Of course my own homebrew setting
Last edited by Tattooedman on Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

Well I have a powerful sentimental attachment to C.T. Phipps HALT EVIL DOER! and I’m also rather enjoying the SUPER-POWERED LEGENDS timeline (Enough to commission Mr Jacob Blackmon himself to illustrate one of the characters mentioned, but not previously depicted), not least because it makes a fun “Modern Multimedia” foil to the more “Classic Comics” FREEDOM CITY.

I’m also happy to agree that it’s a real pity we got no more of the META-4 setting than we got in the First Edition and CROOKS: it’s even more unhappy than the fate of THE ALGERNON FILES, since at least Mr Sullivan is still in a position to share at least some of his goodies with us.
mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

Libra X wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:01 pm Well I have a powerful sentimental attachment to C.T. Phipps HALT EVIL DOER! and I’m also rather enjoying the SUPER-POWERED LEGENDS timeline (Enough to commission Mr Jacob Blackmon himself to illustrate one of the characters mentioned, but not previously depicted), not least because it makes a fun “Modern Multimedia” foil to the more “Classic Comics” FREEDOM CITY.

I’m also happy to agree that it’s a real pity we got no more of the META-4 setting than we got in the First Edition and CROOKS: it’s even more unhappy than the fate of THE ALGERNON FILES, since at least Mr Sullivan is still in a position to share at least some of his goodies with us.
I'm still hoping that M&M Patreon might give us more META-4 stuff, since they're currently doing releases of all the CROOKS characters for 3rd Edition. Naturally I also second your love for THE ALGERNON FILES and HALT EVIL DOER! Wish we got more stuff from both those settings.
Commander Titan

Post by Commander Titan »

I like several already mentioned settings, but of one's not yet brought up:

The Age of Wonders settings from the old Green Ronin forums. I really appreciated the concept of the Nexus and the setting really leaning into its multiverse, and the Order were fun as the "main team" of a setting that wasn't just a set of JLA/Avengers-copies.

I liked the original run of Project Superpowers from Dynamite Comics until it petered out. It may or may not have been resurrected in some form, but I haven't read any more recent material. It did open my eyes to all the wonders of public domain superheroes.
Current Setting Projects:
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

Aaah, AGE OF WONDERS: the most embarrassing omission from my list, since I actually contributed a few articles to that one myself.
mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

Libra X wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:52 pm Aaah, AGE OF WONDERS: the most embarrassing omission from my list, since I actually contributed a few articles to that one myself.
I think I did as well. That's where I came up with Dr. Justice wasn't it?
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

In at least some of the Good Doctor’s remarkable number of variants! (-;
mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

Libra X wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:44 pm In at least some of the Good Doctor’s remarkable number of variants! (-;
One of which I'm trying to think up for my Mightyverse thread, which admittedly I have fallen behind on.
mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

Having purchased the sourcebook for the Super Powered Legends setting, I have to agree with Libra and say it's very good indeed. While I've not enjoyed everything they've done in the setting it's a solid 99% thus far and I'm actually tempted to start the Mightyverse thread over from scratch in order to include elements of Super Powered Legends in it.