Favorite superhero settings?

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Libra X

Re: Favorite superhero settings?

Post by Libra X »

Personally I like to imagine Earth-SPL as part of the same Multiverse as FREEDOM CITY, mostly because the mental image of Shadivan Steelgrave oozing into SPL New York City and sneering “Seen it, did it better” while the Sentinels’ less powerful members evacuate civilians and run interference … right before Jupiter, Spartan and Knightstar quite literally rock up to do some heavy hitting.

When I say “quite literally” I mean AC/DC will be rocking out “Thunderstruck” either on the soundtrack or because Spartan needed some Mood Music while the Sentinels’ heavy brigade put a few dents in Evil Iron Man (bonus points if Steelgrave tries the old “I was a hero, then I actually started doing something useful” routine and only gets back “We picked up a few new tricks since your day, like mobile phones and the printing press”).

Also, this is as appropriate a place as any to confess that I firmly believe that Shadivan Steelgrave is Evil Iron Man as played by Mr Tommy Lee Jones - he doesn’t deserve an actor that awesome, but the imagination wants what it wants.

I wonder if Spartan should be played by Mr Pedro Pascal? (He’s definitely bring something very different to Mr Robert Downey Junior to this particular role.
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

Oh, and it may amuse you to know that I imagine Victory - the SPL version of Golden Age Superman - as being played by Mr Alan Tudyk (though one can also imagine Mr Owen Wilson being used as a life model: he’s got the sort of “Well he’s a nice guy and all, but no, seriously, WHO IS SUPERMAN?!?” quality a superhero’s secret identity ought to have).
mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

I have definitely considered using the villainous suggestions for Recluse and the Challenger Foundation in the Mightyverse, since I feel the bad guys need a bit of a boost there. After all if you have too many good guys it's difficult to make the baddies look properly threatening, I think you'll agree. The Challenger Foundation would be rivals to the Atom Family and possibly be associated with Ghostworks, likely keeping their criminal shenanigans quiet and Recluse would likely be an assassin or something in New York. 'Cause an assassin with Spidey powers would be scary.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

A World Gone Mad, Wild Talent's own setting is nice. It features a world where tablets and cell phones became popular in 70's because of hyper intelligent superhumans. USSR and USA created a joint political body to protect the world after alien invasions. But it is not a full-fledged world filled with NPCs. But setting creating system of the book makes up for it.

Aberrant is a realistic supers RPG with a heavy focus on celebrity culture and super-genius inventions. It has a detailed world and many characters. On the downside has a really stupid metaplot.

Wild Cards is a story-novel series spanning multiple books, written by multiple authors and edited by G.R.R. Martin. It is a one-origin supers setting and includes strong political-social themes.

Champions RPG has some nice villains, organizations and a detailed space setting with many species. All the superpower origins in the setting is possible because of magic, which is a good explanation. Radioactive accidents creates mutants instead of cancer patients for example. But it is too four color for my taste.

GURPS International Super Teams offers a one-origin super world too. Other GURPS book such as Space, Aliens and Technomancer might give ideas for superhuman settings too.

Algernon Files has a good cosmic background and nice heroes and villains.

Wildstorm Universe has been already mentioned. Warren Ellis's Supergod offers a world ravaged by very powerful superhumans whose powers and origins make them alien and inhuman. Planetary has an interesting origin but it would be a spoiler.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Libra X wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:03 pm
Also, this is as appropriate a place as any to confess that I firmly believe that Shadivan Steelgrave is Evil Iron Man as played by Mr Tommy Lee Jones - he doesn’t deserve an actor that awesome, but the imagination wants what it wants.
When I was planning an appearance by him, I envisaged Shadivan as Ed Quinn in age make-up.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

I’m not very familiar with the works of Mr Quinn to offer an intelligent remark on that - I am, however, happy to trust your judgement (my own pick was more based on the recollection that Mr Jones had played Howard Hughes, a significant original influence on Iron Man).😊
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

mightydavidson wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:57 am I have definitely considered using the villainous suggestions for Recluse and the Challenger Foundation in the Mightyverse, since I feel the bad guys need a bit of a boost there. After all if you have too many good guys it's difficult to make the baddies look properly threatening, I think you'll agree. The Challenger Foundation would be rivals to the Atom Family and possibly be associated with Ghostworks, likely keeping their criminal shenanigans quiet and Recluse would likely be an assassin or something in New York. 'Cause an assassin with Spidey powers would be scary.
To each their own!😊
mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

Libra X wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:54 pm
mightydavidson wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:57 am I have definitely considered using the villainous suggestions for Recluse and the Challenger Foundation in the Mightyverse, since I feel the bad guys need a bit of a boost there. After all if you have too many good guys it's difficult to make the baddies look properly threatening, I think you'll agree. The Challenger Foundation would be rivals to the Atom Family and possibly be associated with Ghostworks, likely keeping their criminal shenanigans quiet and Recluse would likely be an assassin or something in New York. 'Cause an assassin with Spidey powers would be scary.
To each their own!😊
If you gotta lotta heroes, you gotta have a lot of villains for them to face. Otherwise the stories get dull. That's just my opinion of course. :mrgreen:
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

Actually, it occurs to me that you could lean into the idea of these characters being villains as a case of heroic potential being lost in the cracks that can be found in the joins between the various parts of a merged universe - with so many costumes hungry to save the world, it’s hard for those who aren’t already in the Golden Circle to get the support they need, resulting in many taking darker (or at least stranger) paths.
mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

Libra X wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:54 pm Actually, it occurs to me that you could lean into the idea of these characters being villains as a case of heroic potential being lost in the cracks that can be found in the joins between the various parts of a merged universe - with so many costumes hungry to save the world, it’s hard for those who aren’t already in the Golden Circle to get the support they need, resulting in many taking darker (or at least stranger) paths.
Interesting idea that. Still not certain on the precise details of how the Challenger Foundation became baddies, that would work wonderfully for them. Like they started as good guys but were overshadowed by the efforts of the Aeon Family and the Atom Family and discouragement and envy sent them down the dark path. Sound good to you Libra?
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

That sounds quite reasonable - I’d definitely lean into the ‘Anti Villainy’ angle to build up pathos (and perhaps generate some real heat between Our Heroes and these well-meaning, but fairly lost, antagonists.

On a less glum note, I’ve been trying to puzzle out a Marvel-style numerical designation for Earth-SPL (as a nod to it’s very strong Marvel influence), just in case I ever get my ideas for various unseen characters worked out.

That’s not too tricky in itself (I’m currently toying with ‘Earth-99911’ as a nod to the “break glass in the event of emergency” plug-and-play origins of the setting: I’m also tempted by “Earth-101939” as a nod to The Promethean making his debut in October of 1939) but is somewhat complicated by my wish to come
up with something that (A) isn’t already claimed by the Marvel Database and (B) can be paired with a designation for the ‘canon’ Legends-Earth.

May I please ask if you have any suggestions?
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

This might help, Marvel Universe List.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

Thank You most kindly.😊