Is there a way to improve telekinetic grabbing?

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Red Ryder

Is there a way to improve telekinetic grabbing?

Post by Red Ryder »

Hello,
I have made a telekinetic character centered around Move Object.
Our group is playing PL11 and I have created a Move Object 11 power.

When I grab, after a successful attack check, the enemy gets a resistance check using either strength or dodge.
This means my effect is DC21.
I am having a lot of fun, but am finding that at PL11, I am encountering quite a few villains who either have strength or dodge of 9 or 10. This means that they are escaping just shy of 50% of the time.
I have taken the improve hold advantage so that once I do grab them, it becomes DC26 to escape.
However, escaping is usually easier than being grabbed because it then goes from strength or dodge to athletics or acrobatics.

I can't increase the effect in Hero Lab as it tells me it will exceed the PL11 of our game.
My question is if there is something I am overlooking in improving my ability to grab opponents more consistently.

I appreciate the feedback.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Is there a way to improve telekinetic grabbing?

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Assuming you're not using a Perception Range attack, you could trade off with a lower attack bonus. It's relatively easy to lower defense with a Feint or something like that. You could also weaken your target's defenses with Weaken or Affliction.

But yeah, grabbing attacks got nerfed after 2E where they were a little too good.
Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder »

Thanks again FuzzyBoots,
I looked into Agile feint and startle, based on your advice about feinting, but my character really isn't that type.
It isn't too bad though, so no worries. Also, I definitely don't want something that is overpowered.

Have a good one.
Davies

Post by Davies »

One house rule that I had an interesting time testing, based on Aaron Sullivan's house rules, is to increase the DC for all resistance checks, not just Toughness, to 15+effect. That's more of a GM than a player decision, though.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."