[Main IC] MnM 3e - Geneforge: the Created

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [Main IC] MnM 3e - Geneforge: the Created

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The Mind
HP: 3, Condition: 2 injuries

Floating just off to the side as it's Shaper displayed the living tools, it wondered not for the first time how these creatures derived their own sustenance. It would've asked now, but a more pressing matter deserved it's attention. "I will inform Shaper D'Tan."

Reaching through the link it took in more complete mental snapshot of what Craze saw, a brief fragment of a memory such that Craze would never miss it. It was always as delicate with these extractions as possible, when it came to its allies. With a brief tug of the link it held to D'Tan, the memory was wrapped up and attached to a note. "Craze has discovered things you may wish to see."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Meat Shield
Hero Points: 2; Luck Points: 0; Condition: Fine
Sakuro wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:40 pm After Meat Shield had gotten the fire started D'Tan pulled a stone over the fireside and sat down on it. Once settled he pulled a cloth pouch from an inner jacket pocket. He opened it up and took out some smoked ornk meat, which he set out on some cleaned leaves. Using them as an improvised plate. The youth's hands continued to move, pulling bundles of leaves from other pockets on his jacket and pants. Each were tied closed with vines, which he undid now. Laying them out next to the ornk meat each bundle revealed roots, herbs, berries, and other foraged edibles he had collected along their trek. The Shaper picked up a piece of smoked ornk, ate it slowly. The he motioned for Meat Shield to eat. There was something ceremonial about the act. D'Tan ate first. Then the others that dined with him.
"Thank you, o Shaper," says Meat Shield gratefully, taking some food from where it was laid out once the Shaper was done. They eat it slowly, mimicking what the Shaper is doing, as well as they can with their huge clawed digits. "This is very tasty," they comment politely as they eat.
Sakuro wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:40 pm "A Shaper Creation. It lives all it's life within this housing."

"Be careful with this. It is a Thorn Baton. A living weapon."
"So are the Living Tool and Thorn Baton our ... cousins?" asked Meat Shield tentatively. "Do they ... think like we do?"
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Craze swoops down and lands near one of the Fyora corpses. Sniffing the dead body he notices the scent of rot. Not overpowering. Not enough to spoil a meal for a carrion eater like Craze. It likely added a touch of flavoring to his scavenger's tastebuds. There were even some bugs mixed in. Creepy crawly things that were eating holes in the body. Extra treat to sample. Up close Craze sees the open eyes of the Fyora. While they have turned milky, he can see that they are rolled upwards, back int it's skull.

Going in for a bite Craze has his first taste of Fyora. It is a lean meat, and where as the Ornk he has sampled i the past is rich, the Fyora's fat is more bland though not without flavor. The meat is subtly grainy and has a more mild taste than Ornk. It is slightly sweat as well. The bugs, if he chooses to eat them as well, have a mixture of taste. They are crunchy goey centers. Brown shelled beetles with a nutty flavor are uncommon whereas smaller black ants have a spicy, tongue stinging flavor to them.

Back at the fire ... D'Tan paused when Mind forwarded him the image that Craze had seen on the building at the top of the hill.

"That is the symbol of the Shapers."

... he offers by way of explanation. Turning in place the youth looked around at the buildings in the ruins. They were beginning increasingly less visible. Or they were for those who did not have the natural means of perceiving in darkness.

"The buildings in these ruins were likely occupied by the Common. Or held a supporting, logistical role. The building on the hill may be the only proper Shaper structure in this area."

At hearing Meat Shield's question, The Shaper turned his head to look at the large Creation. A slow shake of the head was given.

"The Chitin Armor, Living Tool, and Thorn Baton all think. But their thoughts are simple. Not as complex as your's. Their capacity for learning and understanding is ... minimal. They do not need those traits to serve their purposes."

Lowering his right hand the leaves serving as plate he collected a piece or Ornk meat and some berries.

"The Ornk we are eating was more intelligent."

...D'Tan then placed the foot in his mouth and chewed at it slowly. As if taking the time to appreciate it before eventually swallowing.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"Ah, I see," nods Meat Shield at the Shaper's explanation. "Thank you. But what is 'the Common' that lived here, o Shaper?"
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The Mind
HP: 3, Condition: 2 injuries

A pressing need to know something was weighing within its thoughts, but for the moment it held itself off. It did not wish to impede the curiosity of its fellow creations. Instead, it turned its focus upon helping to secure their camp, throwing about its telekinetic touch to clean away bits of debris and rubble. While doing so, it experimented here and there with trying to hold multiple objects at once. An act that put a fair amount of strain on itself, but if it refined this ability further perhaps it could use it to supplement the lack of inbuilt flight some of its companions held.
------------
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The Shaper watched the injured brain float around, flexing it's psychic muscles. His lips formed a thin line as the Creation's experimentations continued despite the physical damage it's fragile form had sustained. When Meat Shield asked about the Common, D'Tan's head turned, and eyes moved to fix on the larger Creation.

"The Common are those in Shaper society who are neither Shaper nor Creation. The general populace. Likewise, Outsiders are foreigners who live outside of Shaper society who are not Rogue Creations."

The Shaper frowned after having mentioned Outsiders. He ate another couple bites of food before speaking to Meat Shield again.

"You should see to Mind's injuries now that Pounce has returned with supplies."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"Thank you for your lesson, o Shaper," replies Meat Shield. "I shall see to their injuries now, as you say."

They stand and begin to do exactly that...

OOC: Meat Shield Treatment roll: 1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Craze
HP: 0
CND: -2 damage

Content to munch on the dead flesh of the rogues, Craze quickly had his fill. It didn't taste great, meat wise at least. The toppings of it were rather good though. While someone more well versed in the ways of the world might wonder what killed the rogues, Craze didn't care too much. It was a meal that wasn't cooked and given a strange cooked type taste to it.

It had been a long day, so Craze decided to return to be patched up a bit. Upon returning to the others, Craze seemed satiated. "The rogues make a ok meal when dead. Two of them were dead past statues of people in robes with arms out and hands formed as fists. I didn't see any damage from other creatures.", remarks Craze coming to rest near everyone else. he made sure to position himself next to the closest shiny thing.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Pounce!
HP: 1; LP: 0; Condition: Normal

For a time, Pounce was content to simply be in the Shaper's company, to share the warmth that his presence provided. She paid attention when he demonstrated the use of the items that she had found- both of them seemed as if they might be quite useful as they explored the island. It seemed as if they might be in this area for at least a short time, so they could determine who would use or carry each of the items once it came time to move.

For a brief moment, she thought of all the other thorns which had made her footing so uncomfortable- but they had seemed dry and dead, likely useless for the "thorn baton". Watching the Shaper eat, and hearing Craze mention making a meal of the rogues, she was reminded of something. "Shaper, there is also a pond over that way. There are some water plants, and some fish, if we want more food. Shall I fetch them?"
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Meat Shield takes up the medicinal plants Pounce and Scout had collected and begins plying their medical knowledge on the floating brain. It is an uncomfortable situation for Mind as the clawed hulking figure uses them as practice for their developing skills. Claws poke were and there. Bandaging is off center. Some slightly acidic juices get in wounds. Meat Shield tries their best, but the Mind ends up feeling worse after their companion's attentions rather than better.

The closest shiny thing Craze saw, on approaching the camp ire was D'Tan. Or rather the gold threads that formed the symbols woven into his otherwise black jacket. The firelight reflected off of it nicely, making the symbols seem to glow from the right angle.

The Shaper's eyes shifted to the avian, his head soon following. D'Tan listened to Craze's observations, silent and thoughtul. He ate a little more, then began packing up the food that was not eaten. Pounce's comments about food supplies drew his attention in the direction of the pond and plants she pointed towards. Though it was dark now. After packing up the food he spoke initially to Pounce and Craze, though as he went on the Shaper's gaze panned over the others.

"We will resupply and rest before pressing on. Investigating the hilltop can wait until our injured have had time to recover. Be cautious and do not stray far. We do not know what killed the Rogues that Craze found."

Now, looking between Meat Shield and Pounce he spoke directly to them.

"Starting tomorrow, harvest what food you can without harming the area's sustainability. Then prepare it for travel. Use what you can from the ruins and surrounding environment to make carrying supplies easier. Craze, Mind, and I will need to spend most of our time resting."

With the goal of rest and resupply presented to the group, the night goes on uneventfully. D'Tan moves between periods of quiet introspection and informative or educational dialog with each of you. He doesn't talk casually, or for the sake of talking. There is always some purpose when he speaks. In the latter hours of the night he retires from the fire, to the building that Meat Shield and Mind had secured earlier. None of you are assigned resting places, and are allowed to sleep where you wish. Except for Pounce. The Shaper has made a habit of using sleeping with her since she was first Shaped.

OOC wrote: Meat Shield's Treatment failure risks exacerbating Mind's wounds. Mind, make a DC 17 Fortitude check. If you fail, it will take two days to recover from each -1 Damage Resistance, instead of one day of rest. Real rest. Not training, exploring, or otherwise being active.

Craze hasn't received any treatment, as Meat Shield can only tend to two people at once. His wounds will be recovering at -1 every one day he spends resting. Actually resting and not being active.

D'Tan is actually getting good treatment, and will be recovering from his injuries after one day of rest.

We have some injuries that need time to heal. I also want to bring Kensiedo's new character in after a day's time. As such, we're going to do a short time jump.

At this point Luck resets and anyone with no HP receives 1 HP.

Decide who is going to be carrying or equipping any of the items you found and list them on your character sheets. I will not keep track of this for you. If it isn't on your sheet after the characters leave the ruins, I'll take it as you having left the items behind.

In your next post include what your character has been doing during the two days resting at the ruins.
The next day it rains. It is a cold gray day and the exposed dirt around the ruins turns to mud before the early morning turned to mid-day. D'Tan is present, but largely physically inactive. Resting inside one of the abandoned buildings. He does make a point of setting aside some time to further Craze and the Mind's education. Helping them expand their understanding of the world and things in it. Primarily, however, he follows his own directive and rests.

On the second day of your time at the ruins, the rain has stopped, but the sky remains overcast. It's colder as well. At mid-day D'Tan takes Scout into the Western building with a door informs all of you that he is not to be disturbed. He does not leave until night. Accompanying him is a gray skinned Creation. You are introduced to Chips and informed that Scout is gone. During the rest of your time resting and resupplying you see D'Tan acclimating Chips to the world and beginning the education, much the way each of you had been.

On your third day at the ruins D'Tan has gathered you together. It is early morning. Sunlight has finally begun to poke out from behind gray clouds. After a fireside breakfast you prepare to set out ...
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The Mind
HP: 2

This was not how one was meant to perform brain surgery, it knew. 'It stings. It stings. It stings. It stings.'

Fort: 8
HP Reroll: 23

---

Despite the less than optimal efforts into healing and recovery, The Mind managed to pull itself through in time for the scheduled departure. Yesterday was met with a cold sense of dread, at the now prevalent thoughts that raced through its neurons. At any moment, at any time, Shaper D'Tan could turn what they were into... Someone else. Of course, it is not as if its shaper had explicitly informed them of what happened. All that it had was conjecture and assumption.

It felt it was still accurate in its assessment. It took care to keep these new thoughts hidden away to where they'd be less problematic. Shirking its duties due to distraction was something it felt it could no longer afford.

As the sun rose and everyone was gathered, The Mind fell into a familiar routine. "I am performing a checkup. Please acknowledge your presence and present your current status."
------------
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Chips
HP: 1, LP: 1, Condition: Fine

Chips didn't have much time to get to know the others. He spent most of his time with Shaper D'Tan practicing for his future task.

Still he tries to be friendly, offering to fix things if they need it.

As they start out to leave, the one called Mind does something unsettling. He speaks right into his head.
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:02 pm "I am performing a checkup. Please acknowledge your presence and present your current status."
He isn't entirely sure what the protocol is. Shaper D'Tan said he should listen to Mind when the Shaper isn't there to give orders.

"I am here," he says out loud. "And I am ready to do as the Shaper needs."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The Mind

It paused as the creature presented as 'Chips' spoke aloud. How strange, that the creature's mannerism was so different from the one that came before. His entire neural structure was wholly unfamiliar to the creature. Terrifying. "Attempt to reply again without verbalization. Think within, and focus on me."
------------
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Chips
HP: 1, LP: 1; Condition: Fine

Chips looks at the Mind creation. Well of course, it has no mouth.

He then concentrated as instructed.

Chips is here and ready to do as Shaper D'Tan needs.

He pauses for a second.

Does this mean you can always read my mind?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The Mind

The connection was shaky, as it was when it first communed with the rest of the creatures. Quality would improve as the Mind grew comfortable with Chip's neural structure. "No. I will only take the thoughts you offer me that are freely given."
------------