Thunder Woman Universe/Extraordinary Mythos

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
bsdigitalq

Thunder Woman Villains Part 1

Post by bsdigitalq »

And now for completed infoblocks for Thunder Woman's rogues gallery of supervillains. Got 17 done, with one more coming soon.

RainOnTheSun

Re: Thunder Woman Universe/Extraordinary Mythos

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Drake Rippson is an excellent name.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yay! QUEEN! One of the best designs and a character I hope gets a lot more focus.

What ARE Maximaiden's issues with TW? I take it the character kind of represents the more loud politics in the comics industry over the years, but how does it relate to TW and her ways?
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:14 am Drake Rippson is an excellent name.
Thanks! Bit of a nod to his visual inspiration. ;)
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:59 am Yay! QUEEN! One of the best designs and a character I hope gets a lot more focus.
That's why I think you'll enjoy the "Battle Beauties" story, as that's where Queen will get a huge amount of character focus and development beyond her "one-sided friendly rivalry" with TW.
What ARE Maximaiden's issues with TW? I take it the character kind of represents the more loud politics in the comics industry over the years, but how does it relate to TW and her ways?
Essentially, MMII has a metaphorical stick up her bum. She's superserious, to the point where her idea of humor and jokes is just "cringe," has narrowly specific ideas about how superheroines should dress, act, etc, and is very strident and loud about these views. Samantha violates all of them and is both very publicly visible and relatively new, so she's an easy target for MMII when that heroine is proselytizing to her audience on Twitter and MSNBC.

And yeah, she's basically a stand-in for a lot of the discourse around superheroines, particularly one corner of things, with a lot of inspiration coming from the Brie Larson MCU Carol Danvers, though originally she started out as a Powergirl analogue (and more or less still fits in that box, what with her predecessor being functionally the setting equivalent of Supergirl/Mary Marvel).
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

bsdigitalq wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:52 pm She's superserious, to the point where her idea of humor and jokes is just "cringe," has narrowly specific ideas about how superheroines should dress, act, etc, and is very strident and loud about these views.
Has she... seen her own costume?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:16 pm
bsdigitalq wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:52 pm She's superserious, to the point where her idea of humor and jokes is just "cringe," has narrowly specific ideas about how superheroines should dress, act, etc, and is very strident and loud about these views.
Her being a hypocrite on top of everything else shouldn't be a surprise. I'm sure her argument is that her outfit is no more revealing than a one piece bathing suit while Thunder Woman's outfit has giga-cleavage (mmmm) and likely has literal magic involved to keeping it in place.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:16 pm
Ares pretty much nailed it on the head. She's a bit of a hypocrite in that, while her outfit isn't super-scanty or sexualized per se, it's still a bit of a far cry from the standards she holds other heroines to, and if called out on it will offer a million flimsy excuses or deflect. She will likely transition to a new costume later on in the timeline, either in final acknowledgement of this, or ironically after going through character development and becoming more open and accepting of Thunder Woman and other heroines.

But in the meantime, she will be TW's resident J. Jonah Jamison. :D
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Ares wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:11 pmHer being a hypocrite on top of everything else shouldn't be a surprise. I'm sure her argument is that her outfit is no more revealing than a one piece bathing suit while Thunder Woman's outfit has giga-cleavage (mmmm) and likely has literal magic involved to keeping it in place.
Pretty much. Her outfit is made of "hylitheon," a supernatural, enchanted substance not of this world that does not abide by or obey the laws of physics, or many other laws of the natural world.
bsdigitalq

Thunder Woman Villains Part 2

Post by bsdigitalq »

Next set of villains. I'll note that Malekha Tanith's inclusion here is due to her appearing in the upcoming comic as an adversary, but apart from that she is not a member of Thunder Woman's rogues gallery in the same way the other villains are, but rather is a more general, greater scope villain for the setting. Her appearance in the comic is akin to Dr. Doom showing up in the Amazing Spider-Man.

But enough talk, time for infoblocks!

Commander Titan

Post by Commander Titan »

I really like all the varied villain roles, including the clever uses of Greek mythology alongside villains with different backgrounds. The idea of a next generation of the Olympian pantheon being formed (even as just a villainous group) is always fun, and fits right into the themes of the original mythology.
Current Setting Projects:
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Commander Titan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:26 am I really like all the varied villain roles, including the clever uses of Greek mythology alongside villains with different backgrounds. The idea of a next generation of the Olympian pantheon being formed (even as just a villainous group) is always fun, and fits right into the themes of the original mythology.
Indeed! And there's more than just Hera's whole deal going on there. ;)

Appreciate the note on the variety. One of the big inspirations was the old Kirby/Lee Thor comics, and the mixing of the mythological with regular criminals, supervillains, and science-fiction/alien threats. It's one of the reasons one of the key setting elements is Olympus being "locked off" from Earth for most of TW's timeline, with any travel being generally one-sided and extremely difficult.
bsdigitalq

Thunder Woman Villains Part 3

Post by bsdigitalq »

Final completed set. Everything from here on out will be one at a time and piecemeal, so I will likely transition updates to another thread, like an art gallery here.

Anyway, I hope you guys all enjoyed this. Let me know your questions about the characters and setting, and if necessary I can write up info on the background of various aspects of Thunder Woman's world. :)
bsdigitalq

Agent Joseph Perez and Jessica Sinclair

Post by bsdigitalq »

Two new infoblocks completed for a couple of characters for Thunder Woman's corner of things: a supporting character, and an antagonist. Right now a lot of my focus is developing these non-powered, non-superhero/villain type characters, so that's what will compose the bulk of updates here for a while.

Davies

Post by Davies »

... the Perez character is a nice tribute, even if (as seems likely) you came up with him long before Mr. Perez passed.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Davies wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:41 pm ... the Perez character is a nice tribute, even if (as seems likely) you came up with him long before Mr. Perez passed.
Yup. I created him as a tribute to George many, many years before his passing this year, and I imagine he will continue to carry that torch.