For all of your Play-By-Post games.
NecroDrake

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 2

ooc wrote:Max looks for a place to hide Milo while they investigate the sounds:

Investigation: 1d20+12 = 16

Um... I'm going to reroll that using a hero point (HP is now 2, with current status updated). I want to make sure he's okay before I get going.

Investigation: 1d20+12 = 31

Thats a lot better. ^_^
If Max finds a good hiding spot for Milo, she'll try to get him to hide there.

"Sorry, but I swear I'll be back. I need to check this out. Can't leave whatever that is unattended... people might get hurt otherwise."

As they walk in the direction of the noise they simultaneously revert to their true form and disappear. They slowly lift off the ground and fly quickly, but silently onward.
ooc wrote:Alright... lets get a little math going.

Dynamic Array Evoke Thoughtform Memory is 12 points.

I want a minimum of Concealment 5 (all visual senses and normal sound). I think I can do that, unless you tell me otherwise.

Cost should be 2/rank + 1 (precise) -1/rank (resistable) = 10 + 1 - 5 = 6 points

Which should let me have Flight 3 (16mph or 250ft/move), which is 2/rank = 6 points.

Guess I'll also use Density Decrease instead of Density Increase for now. Will make it even harder to know they are there.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

Fading from view, and suddenly having the snow move through you, you drift through the air. As before, the snow seems oddly impenetrable, so you're practically on top of the scene before you see what's happening. A man wearing a white suit and a dark red domino mask above which shoots a shock of white hair, is zooming around at high speed on what look like ice skates, red cape emblazoned with a brighter maple leaf insignia fluttering behind him, generating their own trail of ice directly beneath, and firing what look like blasts of ice into the door for the Liberty Dome while dodging return fire from what look like security guards leaning out of windows. As you watch, he redirects one blast and plugs a man who falls forward, already freezing into an ice statue as he tumbles out of the window, landing with an audible crunch.

"Ha!" he cries in a Quebecois accent, "The Mad Maple will make short work of you imperialist Americans and I will have my revenge on the Freedom Blades. If you surrender, no one more must die."
OOC wrote:If you initiate hostilities, you will have to roll initiative.

You can, of course, roll an Intellect check, or a relevant Expertise, to recognize who this is.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:43 am
OOC wrote:If you initiate hostilities, you will have to roll initiative.

You can, of course, roll an Intellect check, or a relevant Expertise, to recognize who this is.
ooc wrote:I guess figure out who they are:

Intelligence: 1d20+3 = 11

Um.... maybe not.

Whelp, if it looks like they are doing this with a gun, or something similarly stealable, V will probably fly at them and switch over to density increase and:
V invisibly flys behind this Mad Maple person and says closely behind their head, "I don't think I'll let you kill anyone else regardless," and then tries to nab their weapon.
ooc wrote: Initiative: 1d20 = 10

Disarm roll (modified Attack Roll)

Attack Roll: 1d20+10-2 = 17

Found Disarm and it says that if I hit I make an opposed check based on my Damage (I think it means my damage rank + d20)? I'll roll mine I guess (hopefully it hit).

Disarm Opposed Check: 1d20+10 = 19

Um... I guess I am kinda consistent with that (rolled a 9 twice in a row).

If successful, V will free action pick up the weapon.
Last edited by NecroDrake on Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2
Condition Normal

"Okay, I do remember this guy a little bit. He's wanting a place for his people, if they exist. Now I can understand the appeal of Madame Zero's offer, but all he's actually doing is painting a target on their backs if they do come here." Protector explains what he can remember, "I'm not much of a talker, so if either of you are capable of talking him down and getting him to leave or at least not interfere, that would be preferable to actually fighting him. Otherwise, we've need to take him out as a group."

If the others go to talk to Glacier, he will hang back, waiting just in case of violence. If Glacier attacks one of them, Protector will use interpose to protect them.
TheMadDadder

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden

"I'll see what I can do."

Maiden levitated closer to Glacier, but only close enough for her telepathy to link with his mind, then she broke the ice.

"Mr.Glacier, I am Mirror Maiden. It is a pleasure to speak with you. I understand that you have come into Madame Zero's service for the betterment of your people. I can assure you, that Madame Zero has no intention of helping you. She has a long history of disagreements with her business partners. A few of her known associates have been found dead in blocks of ice."

She paused.

"If you allow myself and my compatriots to pass unharmed, we will note your passive tendencies and attempt to honor that which Madame Zero has promised you. We'll do it the right way, without casualties and violence."

Persuasion!: 1D20+11 = [7]+11 = 18

I will spend a hero point to reroll if this doesn't work!
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Mirror Maiden

Glacier looks out to Mirror Maiden. Pitching his voice to carry, he speaks.
"I appreciate that you do not wish to interfere. I only want to get these people out of danger." He takes a longer look at her, considering, then continues, "I presume that you will not attempt to hinder me again." With that, he waves one hand, and you see where a bit more of the bridge is cleared of the blizzard for the refugees to go through, while a bit further back, people are forced to push on a little faster as the the event horizon of what seems to be an eye in the storm moves. After that, he turns back to Mirror Maiden.

"I am well aware that she may attempt to betray me. Attempt is the key word, of course. Until then, I have a situation where this city is uniquely appropriate toward aiding my people, and hostile to those currently living here. Therefore, I feel honor bound to help those here to escape, while preparing to repopulate it with those more suitable for the environment. I hope you would not prevent me from helping refugees." He glances over to one end of the bridge.
"And, unless I miss my mark, it seems that my minders are in agreement, as they have yet to attack you. They have not been entirely happy with my more humanitarian efforts, probably because they, as with most humans, are in it for themselves, and wish more than the reward of helping others. I hope that you will prove to be one of the more empathetic than most of your kind."
OOC wrote:As per the discussion in the Discord, that raises his attitude by one degree, up to Indifferent, which the book describes as "Acts as socially expected towards you." So he is not currently attempting to detain or instate hostilities, but neither is he truly sway to your side.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

You recognize him as The Mad Maple, known Canadian separatist, brilliant inventor, and overall loony (no relation to the Canadian currency). Typically an opponent to Johnny Rocket, and frequent member of the Thieves Guild, he's as well known for his arrogance as he his for his deadly winter skill. He's swinging his rod to fire off another blast at the windows when you suddenly come into solidness opposite him.

As you reach in to grab the staff, despite him being unaware, he's almost too fast for you, yanking the staff back, but he's a fraction of a second too slow as you grab it and yank it away. His look of outrage yields to a sneer as the staff suddenly shoots tendrils of ice up your arm.
"Do you think that you are the first to try to grasp my rod?" he crows as he pirouettes in place and makes a rude hand gesture, "I have prepared for such crude tactics."
OOC wrote:You actually only make the attack roll by two points. But you do, and his own Disarm roll of Disarm roll: 8 is insufficient to prevent you from wresting the staff from his hands. However, it does trigger his contingency, a Triggered Progressive Affliction 10 (Impaired/Stunned). That would be a DC 20 Dodge save initially. Failure by one degree will leave you Impaired, while Failure by two would leave you Stunned. Further breakout rolls (should you fail the first) will be Fortitude saves done at the end of your turn.

His Initiative roll of 8 means you will still go first in the next round.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 1

ooc wrote:Try to save out of it:

Dodge Save: 1d20+6 = 9

Spend a Hero point to reroll (HP edited)

Dodge Save (Reroll): 1d20+6 = 22

I'll take it. Not sure how to narrate the save specifically though... Guess I can edit it in when later if need be.
Having thwarted the contingency of the Mad Maple's staff, V is annoyed by the situation, but tries to remain composed.

Still invisible, V speaks to the Mad Maple, "It seems your apparatus disagrees with me... It shouldn't for long."

V tries to break the staff over their knee.
ooc wrote:Going by pg.244 of the deluxe handbook (for easy lookup):

Attack Roll (Object): 1d20+10 = 26

If the attack roll succeeds, auto crit for +5 to effect and it resists based on its material.

...Hopefully it doesn't explode or something.

I guess that's my action (mostly doing it for dramatic effect and maybe intimidate him next turn...), though I will silently fly to his other side after to keep him off balance. Note that my concealment is resistible (will), so he can try to find me if he concentrates.

If V is successful (before the movement that ends their turn):
"Now... You have two options... Give yourself up to the authorities or I knock some sense into you and you give yourself up to the authorities anyway... though, maybe less conscious. I think that's generous considering the lives you have ended."

Why... am I so angry?
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

As the ice shot up his arms, V frantically twisted his arms around, eventually managing to shake it off. Raising the staff and bringing it down upon his knee, he is greeted with a cracking sound from the staff and an anguished cry from The Maple Maple and a torrent of what sounds like French profanity as he stares directly at V. Suddenly shooting to one side on his skates, The Mad Maple reaches into a snow bank and pulls out a bulky futuristic-looking rifle that seems very similar to the one the thug was carrying before. With more French profanity, he fires pale blue blasts wildly in V's direction, the blasts splashing home despite their angry spray.
OOC wrote:Thank you. I'd forgotten about the Resistable part. I should have rolled that before for whether he was surprised.

Will: 17 has him overcoming it since you only have five ranks active.

Staff Toughness: 23 gives it a -1 and you can see the cracks forming.

The staff anti-tampering will trigger a second time. Again, a DC 20 Dodge save.

For his action, The Mad Maple moves to where he cached another weapon, uses Extra Effort to gain an additional Move action to pick it up, and he fires it at V. Ranged Attack: 16 will hit for a DC 20 Fortitude save against Damage.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 0

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:01 am
OOC wrote:Thank you. I'd forgotten about the Resistable part. I should have rolled that before for whether he was surprised.

Will: 17 has him overcoming it since you only have five ranks active.

Staff Toughness: 23 gives it a -1 and you can see the cracks forming.

The staff anti-tampering will trigger a second time. Again, a DC 20 Dodge save.

For his action, The Mad Maple moves to where he cached another weapon, uses Extra Effort to gain an additional Move action to pick it up, and he fires it at V. Ranged Attack: 16 will hit for a DC 20 Fortitude save against Damage.
ooc wrote:Try to save out of it again:

Dodge Save: 1d20+6 = 9

Lol, not again... I guess I use my last hero point.

Dodge Save (Reroll): 1d20+6 = 22 (roll of 6 is upgraded to 16)

Ehh... what? A little different, but those results are giving me deja'vu.

Okay, now the damage resist:

Damage Resist: 1d20+8 = 28 (exchanged toughness with fortitude due to personal error)
I think I'll deal with this thing later
ooc wrote:Dynamic array all points in Flight for 6 (120mph / 1,800ft per move)
Dropping all pretense of stealth, V will become completely visible. With a sudden burst of speed, they will fly over the nearest tall building, see if anyone is there, if not, they will drop the staff on it. Flying quickly back, they will locate the Mad Maple and throw a wild haymaker at them attempting to knock them out.
ooc wrote: Attack Roll (Close Combat): 1d20+10 = 14

... guess that haymaker was too wild. Damage rank 10 if I hit him I guess.
TheMadDadder

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden

"I'm sure the refugees appreciate everything you've done thus far. I hope you understand that we have to stop Madame Zero before Liberty City is frozen. If a home is all you seek for you and your people then I will do everything in my power to help find you one. If none exist, I will petition to have one created."

Maiden continued while levitating in place.

"Could you tell us Madame Zero's whereabouts?"
Could I roll another persuasion check?
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2

Above and a little bit away, Protector hovered waiting. If he could fidget nervously in a suit of power armour, he would be doing so right now. He didn't relish having to fight, though he seemed to be a bit of a natural at it he mused to himself, but especially against somebody who wasn't really a villain.

He's not attacking her, so that's a good sign he hoped.

Whilst he waited, he looked over the bridge, trying to establish where the transmitter is, in case he needed to rush in there to carry out his trace.
Perception: 1d20+7 22
Technology: 1d10+19 22 if that would synergise with perception in this case
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

The Mad Maple easily ducks your relatively clumsy punch and attempts to unload his weapon on you point-blank, planting himself in place to steady his aim, which is true. The blue beams batter your defenses, sapping away at your bodily heat. The Mad Maple cackles and points.
"You show your true colors, imperialist, a monster to defend a monstrous nation. But even without my marvelous inventions, I can still keep up with you, you pièce de mer— Hey! Cease your firing!" This last bit comes courtesy of the police inside the stadium unloading their pistols, the shots missing The Mad Maple and harmlessly pancaking on your basically bulletproof skin.

"A mad country full of mad people with far too much artillery and rage," The Mad Maple quips as he suddenly zips back and taps the side of his head before wheeling around and taking off at full speed.
"But a brilliant man such as I know knows when to emulate the lapin!" he cries, and vanishes into the snow.
OOC wrote:That does indeed miss. He uses his Standard to attack using All-Out-Attack 2 (since he doesn't have the Advantage, he's limited to using 2). Attack roll (AoA 2): 23 would have hit even without that, or if I'd used my initial instinct of Power Attack. :-P Ah well, hindsight is 20/20. That's another DC 20 Fortitude save against Damage. And then he uses his Move action and his skates to skedaddle, making use of the how the snow is blinding past 30 feet.

Let me know if you plan on pursuing him.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Mirror Maiden

Glacier views you with sad and patient eyes.
"You are not the first to claim to be able to help me. Presidents have claimed to be able to help. Heroes have claimed to be able to help. Their words have been empty. If her machine remains, this land is suited for my people and it is not fit for you or your kind. If it does not, then I have merely gained good will, hopefully, for having helped evacuate. The effects of the engine should end not far past the city lines. If you will help, then help, for actions speak louder than words. If you will not help, then get out of the way."

With that, he turns and continues readjusting the area of the lack of storm to ensure that the refugees remain within it, with a shower of hail behind them ensuring that none linger too long.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Protector

Avoiding looking too threatening, you cruise along a path, using your radio receiver to rough out the location of the repeater. While you don't have a transmitter in your armor, something that you'd never stopped to consider the potential need more, there's enough background transmission from distant stations and local emergency radios that you can manage the complex math to triangulate despite the wide variety of disparate signals. Your luck being what it is, it seems that it's encased within, or attached to, the brick bridge support that Glacier is standing on.

There's a sudden burst of radio traffic from where you initially saw the grey-clad mercenaries, now last in the depths of the snowstorm.
OOC wrote:Will: 1D20+5 = [10]+5 = 15 The mercenaries make their Will save versus the illusion.