[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
NecroDrake

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 3

ooc wrote:Do I get the sense that he's lying or hiding something from me?

Insight: 1d20+12 = 32

Regardless:
Max looks thoughtful while listening, "Well... That is a lot. I'm sorry for what your father put you through, but it also sounds like they cared a lot for you in their own way. Otherwise, they wouldn't have even tried to be in your life at all. This could also be their attempt at helping you, especially at this crucial time of need for your daughter."

Max shrugs, "I don't pretend to know how you feel, but regardless if your father is a bad man or not, they seem to be trying, at least for your daughter's sake if your intial reason for coming here was true."

Max stands up, 'stretches' and looks pointedly at Milo, "With what you've told me, I'm afraid that leaves us with two options unless you think you can come up with a better one," she gestures with her right hand, "You can either see this through or..." she gestures with her left hand, "You can sit this one out. Regardless, I plan on getting involved and will try to protect you to the best of my ability either way, but I don't think I can let ya go... that would be a great way for you to get captured or at worst probably killed."

Max holds a hand out to him, "So, what's your choice?"

She withdraws her hand slightly if he tries to reach for it, "Note, that if you do decide to see this through with me, all I ask in return is that you keep what you learn about me a secret. I don't need everyone out there seeing me 'air out my dirty laundry,' capiche?"

She then puts her hand out again.
ooc wrote:If he says something to the effect of himself and/or I possibly getting captured or killed if we don't sit this out, Max will say:
"I'm much stronger than I look and full of surprises otherwise, but not everyone needs to know that," Max says, giving him a pointed look.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

Milo groans and pinches his temple.
"Years later, my father still gives me headaches, in more ways than one." After several seconds of him sitting there and breathing evenly, he raises his head.
"Sorry... my doctor says it's probably a side effect of whatever I inherited from him, but he also drives me crazy. I — I'd prefer to sit this one out as much as I can. I don't want to be involved. I don't want Molly involved. I don't know if he's trying to protect me, or thought I'd be with Molly, or... Oh god. Molly... I need to tell her to go underground. I should go to her. I — or maybe that would just lead him to her. I don't know. Cam you provide us a safe place?"

This time, he grinds the heel of his palm against his forehead and his breathing is a bit more rough. After the episode ends, he speaks again.
"If you do find my father, please tell him Milan says this isn’t the answer. Molly doesn’t want other people to suffer so she can be free of her condition."
OOC wrote:You get the impression that he's entirely sincere, but also trying to keep his personal details out of this and that he really doesn't want to be any more involved than he is.
TheMadDadder

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden
HP: 2

"From what I've gathered, Madame Zero doesn't particularly work well with others. The allies she's gained over the years don't stay for long due to Madame's harsh temper. Perhaps we can use this information to convince the goons below to leave and maybe even give us her location."

Madain crossed her arms as she spoke, trying to stay warm amidst the freezing cold and icy winds.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

ooc wrote:I'll perform multiple actions with the assumption that they flow from one to another. Interrupt at any point if something happens before I can do something.
"I would like to make sure you're safe first and I can get your daughter if you would allow me. I can definitely move about without drawing attention to myself if you're worried."
ooc wrote:Assuming he agrees.
"Alright then, come with me."

Max will take him out of the back room, explain to anyone who would care where they are going that she's going to try to help this guy get his little girl to a safe place, and leave.
ooc wrote:Not sure where Protection 8, Impervious 8 leaves me with the cold, but am kinda hoping that Milo here has some warm clothes, seeing that he might have been a little more informed because his father 'might' was involved. If not, I'm willing to spend a hero point if I can to make it is so (since it wasn't described beforehand).

Besides that I'm going to try and make sure no one follows us as we try to go through back alleys and such.

Perception: 1d20+10 = 22
If the coast seems clear, Max will try to lead Milo through back alleys and such to stay out of sight as much as possible. Her goal is to get him to 'Isaac's' Apartment.
ooc wrote:Before they get there, Max will probably have a little talk with Milo about being a shapeshifter as well and that she needs to 'change' before they reach their destination, finding a secluded area to change into Isaac. I'm assuming something will happen before then, so waiting on that before doing in-character, but wanted to make that apparent... hopefully Milo will take the multiple super power person he's tagging along with in stride at this point.

However, if it looks like it will take a long time or is a little too treacherous on foot due to the weather, V will probably break the ice about being an alien to speed this along. ie, letting V relax their points for more powers so they can make this quicker.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Protector, Mirror Maiden, and Snowdrift

As you approach the Pramas Bridge, the snow keeps you from seeing until you're practically on top of it, although Protector's radio picks up a growing amount of white noise from a transmitter ahead. When you can see past the snow, you spot a steady stream of people clothed in makeshift winter gear— coats, layers, blankets, and the like—making their way across the snowed-in traffic covering the historic Pramas Bridge. A blue-skinned man observes the migration from the towers above. As the falling snow builds up, the metal deck of the bridge begins to groan and shift, but before it can snap, the cerulean overseer gestures and a column of ice rises from the South River.

As an uncertain woman tries to turn back, a hail of icicles falls from the tower, slicing the snow before her. "Continue on your way, friend," he announces in a crisp, emotionless voice. "Freedom City is no place for the warm-blooded." So far, he seems either unaware of you, or uncaring of your approach.
OOC wrote:If you are trying to sneak, make those rolls. Also, make a Perception roll.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

Milo's face bends into a grimace.
"I'm not looking forward to this, but for Molly..."

As V leads them outside, the cold starts biting into her. Much to her surprise, Milo seems unaffected. Glancing over, he smiles wryly.
"I am my father's son. The cold never bothers me much," he says softly, almost regretfully. V sees no one watching, but with the blinding snow sharply reducing visibility, perhaps that's to be expected.

Everything is relatively quiet, the shrieking winds blowing through the buildings countered by the eerie muffling of the snow as it absorbs sound waves. Milo directs V as they go, and after about a dozen minutes of navigating through the snow, V hears the faint sound of raised voices, faint enough that they can't quite make the details out just yet.
OOC wrote:Can you give me another perception check, as well as a Fortitude check of DC 11 for the cold?

And, as you note, the path of the hero never did run true.
UmbralDagger13

Post by UmbralDagger13 »

Snowdrift
HP:4

After hours and days of practicing with his abilities, Snowdrift feels at home with ice and snow so he attempts to sneak past while also keeping an eye out. He will reach out tentatively with his telepathy and try to link up with Mirror Maiden and Protector so they can avoid speaking aloud.

Stealth check: 1D20+8 = [10]+8 = 18

Perception check: 1D20+6 = [16]+6 = 22
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Snowdrift, Protector, and Mirror Maiden

As you approach the bridge, you see probably a half dozen men in uniform grey parkas observing the action on the bridge. Beside them is some sort of snowmobile with a large gun mounted at the top. Right now, they don't seem to be to be doing much of anything other than watching the action unfold on the bridge.
TheMadDadder

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden

"It would be best to avoid fighting on the bridge. Be still while I conjure a distraction!"

Maiden spoke telepathically to her comrades as she raised her hands, her fingers outstretched and her palms horizontal with the earth. Her body silhouette was surrounded by a pinkish aura of psionic energy. Her eyes glowed with the same intensity. To Protector and Snowdrift, nothing had changed, but to the patrol and the blue-skinned man, they were surrounded by a blast of heavy weather.
Using [ Telepathic Illusion: Illusion 4 (all senses), Resisted by Will, Selective ] to create the illusion of the storm picking up!
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:36 am
OOC wrote:Can you give me another perception check, as well as a Fortitude check of DC 11 for the cold?

And, as you note, the path of the hero never did run true.
ooc wrote:Perception: 1d20+10 = 29

Fortitude: 1d20+8 = 18
Max rubs their hands to warm up a little and shivers, "Where I come from, there isn't much climate either way."

Come to think of it, I don't think I had to deal with temperature at all where I came from.... Maybe I can use that later. Well... not much to do about it now.

Curious about the sound ahead, V directs their attention that way.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Mirror Maiden

As you reach out to the minds of those involved, you feel a curious bounce as the blue-skinned figure stops his orating and begins peering around. Meanwhile, the greyclad men hunker down, with one popping open the hatch on the side of the snowmobile and hopping in. Some words that sound like curses in what sounds like a Slavic tongue roll across the distance.
OOC wrote:Will save: 32 Oof... even with the +5 for picking a very convincing illusion, that doesn't get Glacier, and it's not a Subtle power, so he's aware that something happened.

For the mercenaries: Will: 6 means they are currently snowblind.

And, in retrospect, the two areas are far enough part that normally the Illusion wouldn't really reach that far, but I didn't give an idea of scale, so I'm letting it slide.
TheMadDadder

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden

Maiden felt the resistance from Glacier as she focused on her illusion. This put a big notch in their plan to pass by unnoticed.

"The patrol is caught in my illusion but it seems like Mr. Blue is a lot smarter than he looks. He is neither fooled nor amused. Shit."
Using this turn to relay the info to Protector and Snowdrift. Hopefully they have a solution to the clusterfuck I just made. :?
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

In the noise of the storm, and the damped sound of the snow, much of the world is muffled, but V catches the sound of gunshots, some odd energy discharge sounds, and some yelling that sounds vaguely like French, although nothing that they've heard before in the bits and pieces they've garnered from TV... no, there's a bit that they recognize, "*merde*" from that Star Trek show with the bald captain, and... "Freedom Blades" spoken in English in a derisive accented voice? The direction it's coming from might be the Liberty Dome, known for hosting a variety of
OOC wrote:Can you give me an Expertise (Freedom City) check? (As noted before, it's a free Rank 0 skill that people primarily station in Freedom City get, if they don't instead choose to be imports from another city like Emerald City, so you'll do an Intellect check, but you're not limited to common information).
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2
Condition

"Okay, lets try and avoid starting a fight where the civilians will get hurt. Be too easy to damage the bridge and place all those people in danger." he warns, whilst at the same time plotting a firing solution on the goons and Glacier. He stops himself for a second at how disturbingly easy that was becoming before getting back to the situation at hand.
TheMadDadder wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:47 pm "It would be best to avoid fighting on the bridge. Be still while I conjure a distraction!"
He waits for Mirror Maiden's illusion to take effect.
"When its ready, head to the transmitter as quickly as possible. Best to not push our ...."

TheMadDadder wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:59 pm "The patrol is caught in my illusion but it seems like Mr. Blue is a lot smarter than he looks. He is neither fooled nor amused. Shit."
"It was a good try," Protector consoles her, whilst inwardly cursing. He racks his brain for a second to see if he recognises the guy from anywhere. Maybe there is something about this guy we can exploit

expertise freedom city: 1d20+9 24
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:12 pm
OOC wrote:Can you give me an Expertise (Freedom City) check? (As noted before, it's a free Rank 0 skill that people primarily station in Freedom City get, if they don't instead choose to be imports from another city like Emerald City, so you'll do an Intellect check, but you're not limited to common information).
ooc wrote:Expertise (Freedom City): 1d20+3 = 17