[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Corrigon

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2
FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:03 am Your luck being what it is, it seems that it's encased within, or attached to, the brick bridge support that Glacier is standing on.
Oh for Pete's sake, can we not catch a break. Hopefully Mirror Maiden's chat means he won't attack me if I come close. He waits for a signal of either its safe to come up or for help, but keeps his distance, hoping to avoid a fight.
FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:03 am There's a sudden burst of radio traffic from where you initially saw the grey-clad mercenaries, now last in the depths of the snowstorm.
This sudden change catches his attention and he makes a turn towards them, whilst trying to figure out what they are saying. Have they figured out what is happening? he ponders, hoping that they haven't but ready for the worst.
Perception: 1d20+7 8
If by some miracle he realises that they are free, he launches into attack mode.
Initiative: 1d20+6 24

Mini Missiles: 1d20+10 27 Burst damage 6 so DC21 to a burst area effect.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

ooc wrote:Resist the attack:

Fortitude Save: 1d20+8 = 21
Shaking off the attack again, V tries to pursue.

"I may look monsterous, but how I look doesn't matter... What matters is the people you've harmed and me stopping you from doing further damage."
ooc wrote:Again, some simple math:

Dynamic Array Evoke Thoughtform Memory is 12 points.

I want a minimum of Concealment 7 (all visual senses and normal sound... not sure what else it can do).

Cost should be 2/rank + 1 (precise) -1/rank (resistable) = 14 + 1 - 7 = 8 points

Which should let me have Flight 2 (8mph or 120ft/move), which is 2/rank = 4 points.

Unless it looks like he's moving faster than 120ft, then I'll do my Concealment 5, Flight 3 again to catch up.

I'm also assuming that I need to make a perception to find him:

Perception Check: 1d20+10 = 22

If V finds him, I'll also try to punch em again:

Attack Roll (Close Combat): 1d20+10 = 20

Rank 10 Damage. Hopefully that gave him a good wallop.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Protector

As you approach, Glacier directs a long glance at your location to let you know that he knows you're there, but he returns to herding the evacuees out of town.

When the burst of radio traffic happens, as you whirl and stare at where you last saw the mercenaries, you note Glacier tensing, and then relaxing as you find that the driving storm has reduced visibility to nil, leaving you to have to decide if you want to fire blind in the general location of where the mercenaries were last seen.
OOC wrote:You can't see them through the snow from where you are, so I'm going to veto the missile attack unless you are just planning to launch them in the general location of where you believe them to be based on hearing radio activity. FWIW, Area attacks don't require an attack roll since they're an autohit. The game is a bit hazy on what happens when you try to target blind, but I'm inclined to move the usual +5 to defense to instead add to the Dodge roll, assuming they're in the area you target.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

Adjusting your flight speed, and feeling your ability to cloak yourself fray slightly, you hurtle out into the snow, which is rapidly all too blinding. You have a vague feeling that you're going approximately the right direction, but you fail to catch site of the Canadian villain.
OOC wrote:His skates are Speed 3, so I'm going to assume that you're doing Concealment 5 for all Visual senses and... normal hearing? Let me know if that wasn't what you intended.

In general, the game suggests chase scenes as Skill Challenges. I'll say that this one is a matter of that three successes will let you find him before three failures on opposed checks, which will result in something negative.

Stealth: 26 and Will: 23 are his skill rolls, which puts you at one failure, and he overcomes your psychic Concealment.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 0

ooc wrote:The concealment choices were intended. I'll keep it up for now, because I don't know if V even gets a warning if they are spotted while its active.

I guess more perception rolls? I'll do two more and see where that gets us.

Perception: 1d20+10 = 20

Perception: 1d20+10 = 22
V carefully tries to spot the Mad Maple through the obscuring weather.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

Despite his targets rapid movement, and the lack of visibility, V is able to continue following the faint tracks of the skates just before the snow covers them up. Up ahead, a set of looking towers connected with cables and sporting flashing lights can be seen faintly through the snow. Comparing the appearance to what he'd seen during regular times in Freedom City, V is certain it's one of the bridges allowing for entrance and egress to and from Freedom City. He also notes that the storm seems to be lessened in that direction.
OOC wrote:Stealth: 19 gets us to one success and one failure. Stealth: 17 is a second success. And I suspect you'll probably net the third success against Stealth: 1D20+7 = [9]+7 = 16.

FWIW, the idea of skill challenges is that they're either based on skill checks against a static DC (with sometimes diminishing results for using the same skill or outright saying you can't repeat them) or opposed checks, where you pick one appropriate to the challenge, but honestly, this was meant as a quick combat challenge before getting you in the same place as everyone else, which got sidetracked by that The Mad Maple has just about all of his powers in his staff. :D It was effective tactics on your part.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP2
Condition
FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:31 am As you approach, Glacier directs a long glance at your location to let you know that he knows you're there, but he returns to herding the evacuees out of town.

When the burst of radio traffic happens, as you whirl and stare at where you last saw the mercenaries, you note Glacier tensing, and then relaxing as you find that the driving storm has reduced visibility to nil, leaving you to have to decide if you want to fire blind in the general location of where the mercenaries were last seen.

Nobody is doing anything and nobody is firing at me. Let's not startle a hornets nest if we can get to the transmitter and away without them realising it. Glacier isn't attacking so Mirror Maiden must have talked him down.

He looks for where the transmitter is on the column before coming to a stop near Mirror Maiden and Glacier.
perception: 1d20+7 23 - look for the transmitter or keep an eye out as necessary
"Mirror Maiden, those gun toting idiots in the truck just went active with their radios. Maybe they are just checking in, but it would be best if we don't get ambushed by them." Look at me talking like I know what I am doing he muses to himself before taking a deep breath to speak to the would be villain.

"Thank you," he says to Glacier, gesturing to the escaping crowds "for helping those people. It won't be forgotten. If you are willing, I would like access to the transmitter on the column you are stood on."

Provided he can get at the transmitter, he will check it for booby traps before connecting up and carrying out a trace.
Technology: 1d20+19 31 interact with the transmitter to track the next step or few in the transmission chain hopefully back to the source.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 0

Seeing that the Mad Maple probably left the city, V will begrudgingly return to Milo's hiding spot.

"I don't have time for this... I will get him next time. For now I have to keep my promise and help that man and his daughter."
OOC wrote: Will go max flight 6, land out of sight close enough to his hiding spot for a light jog over, and turn back into "Max" before heading over to him. If he's still there:
"Sorry about that... It took a little longer than expected. Some guy was blasting guards, but I ran him off. Place is going a little crazy. Lets get you safe and help your daughter out of this, shall we?"
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Protector

Glacier regally steps out of the way, and onto a ramp of ice, continuing to protect the refugees crowding down the bridge. The transmitter yields to your technological blandishments as you tease out the data. The repeater was obviously not meant for any real sort of processing, but there is some circuitry present to screen out noise, and there's enough residual energy to puzzle out a bit more information. Correlating the prior broadcast information with what's found here, Protector has narrowed down the location where the transmissions first occurred, AEGIS headquarters. In the process, he re-extracts Madame Zero's video and, when it plays back, he's struck that there's something very familiar about the background, but he can't quite place what.

Moments later, a costumed man sliding along on what looks like very advanced skates, zooms by, shouting out to Glacier as he passes by.
"Alien invader in hot pursuit," he calls out, "Meet you at the party once I get a substitute favor." Then, he's moving at high speed through the crowd and is out the other side and lost in the snow. Glacier grumbles something largely unintelligible about Canadian idiots, but continues to maintain the window of good weather for those escaping.
OOC wrote:For those unfamiliar with the setting, AEGIS is basically SHIELD. They're a governmental branch that deals with supervillain crime. Largely comprised of regular humans, albeit well-trained ones who use a lot of advanced technology appropriated from heroes, villains, and visitors not of this Earth.

Anyone can attempt an Expertise (Freedom City) to identify the fleeing character.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

When you return to where you left Milo in his little snow-cave, your words ring on an empty enclosure. Milo is gone. Whatever happened, there was a lot of activity. Foot traffic and snowmobile tracks go all directions.
OOC wrote:Take a Hero Point for stopping to be heroic, one for the Mad Maple's counter-measures, and one for Milo's disappearance. An Investigation check could reveal more about the scene. You could try a Perception check to try to follow the tracks, but without a Tracking skill, it's not terribly likely you'd find the right set of tracks.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 3

OOC wrote: So I have three hero points now?

Anyway, I guess I will investigate and perception (just in case)

Investigation: 1d20+12 = 31

Perception: 1d20+10 = 11

Lol. I think I'm going to keep that perception roll. Makes sense in the situation.
Upon seeing that Milo is gone, V sighs and changes into Isaac.

"Damn it. Of course that would happen. What a crazy day... okay, don't panic. Do what you were trained to do."

Isaac will look around and investigate the scene.
OOC wrote: Come to think of it, I can also use Communication 2 (mental, area, selective). If Milo is conscious and receptive I can communicate with him as long as he's within a mile. I'll wait to see what a quick investigation comes up with and "give him a ring" I guess. Along the lines of "what happened?" or "are you okay?" To see if he responds at all.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

Using skills honed with your time with the police, you note that there's a lack of signs of struggle. Whether Milo went willingly or not, he did not put up a fight. The tracks outside, rapidly disappearing in the snow, look like military boots based on the treat, but the outlines suggest heavy weather gear rather than something built for marching. There's a stink of diesel fuel in the air, and several of the crisscrossing tracks suggest snowmobiles. Finally, in one last casting about in the little snow cave he built, you see a small symbol carved into a patch of ice. It looks like a stylized A within a circle, with the cross bar of the A forming part of the upper arc of the circle, and the legs extending below. It looks naggingly familiar.
OOC wrote:You can make a DC 10 Expertise: Freedom City check for the symbol. And Communication is one-way, so there's no way for him to send a message back unless he's telepathic himself and you don't know whether you made contact.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 3

V tries to snatch at any inkling of a thought related to that symbol.
OOC wrote: Expertise (Freedom City): 1d20+3 = 14
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

At first, the symbol seems unfamiliar, but then a turn of a head in a particular direction makes V's memories flash to an insignia on a government agent's armor during one of the times when sentiment against alien invaders had been high as a result of the unrest at Star Island when it was being used to host Lor Republic refugees. They had been able to escape, but the advanced weaponry, some of which seemed vaguely familiar, had left the agents definitely in the potential threat category, even if they had not tried to hunt V down lately. AEGIS, the American Elite Government Intervention Service... V knew that they have offices in the Federal Building downtown, although navigating there in the blizzard might be a bit harder...
OOC wrote:It's pretty common knowledge, so that suffices.

Assuming the others follow their lead, we ought to be able to get everyone in one place.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2
FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:12 am Glacier regally steps out of the way, and onto a ramp of ice, continuing to protect the refugees crowding down the bridge. The transmitter yields to your technological blandishments as you tease out the data. The repeater was obviously not meant for any real sort of processing, but there is some circuitry present to screen out noise, and there's enough residual energy to puzzle out a bit more information. Correlating the prior broadcast information with what's found here, Protector has narrowed down the location where the transmissions first occurred, AEGIS headquarters. In the process, he re-extracts Madame Zero's video and, when it plays back, he's struck that there's something very familiar about the background, but he can't quite place what.
Gotcha. The big brain for the win. Now where have I see that before? He racks his brain for a moment to see if anything comes back to him.
eidetic memory: 1d20+5 15
"Eureka," he exclaims excitedly, before explaining his outburst "I found Madame Zero. She's at the Aegis headquarters." As he speaks, something else dawns on him, "and I doubt Aegis handed it over easily, so I suspect there may be a few prisoners there who could help us." His voice sounds hopeful, as he feels a little trepidation in going after Madame Zero.

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:12 am Moments later, a costumed man sliding along on what looks like very advanced skates, zooms by, shouting out to Glacier as he passes by.
"Alien invader in hot pursuit," he calls out, "Meet you at the party once I get a substitute favor." Then, he's moving at high speed through the crowd and is out the other side and lost in the snow. Glacier grumbles something largely unintelligible about Canadian idiots, but continues to maintain the window of good weather for those escaping.
Protector moves to start tracking him in case of attack, reasoning that anybody calling out to Glacier like that would be working with Madam Zero, but as the danger passes, Miles remonstrates with himself. What's wrong with me? Going for the offensive option rather than use your brain.
He looks up at Glacier as he disconnects from the transmitter. "I don't suppose you fancy telling us where the party will be? Provided I haven't just blurted that out."