[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
FuzzyBoots

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Protector

As you rummage through your memory, you note that the lighting is characteristic of fluorescent lighting, the sort used in situations where clarity is more important than any sort of aesthetics. You're certain that the setting is that of a research facility, or of a lab, although that only partially narrows things down. It could be one of the local universities or it could be a private think tank. Nonetheless, you are certain that this was not recorded in some anonymous warehouse.

As for the skating figure, you peg him for a recurring pest, The Mad Maple, a Canadian separatist (well, you remember him identifying specifically as Quebecois, at great length, in many rants) and a brilliant inventor who has various ice powers courtesy of his devices, as well as a severe hate for several hockey teams, including the Freedom Blades.

To your query, Glacier's face twists in half a smile.
"I keep my promises, but I am certain that, if you do not find what you seek at the location you just mentioned, you will at least find your way to your final destination." The last few words are delivered with a dry finality, suggesting some degree of malice, but his face is more neutral as he continues to herd people across the bridge.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 3

OOC wrote: Well, if I know where that is, I guess I will head on over. Shouldn't be too hard if I know what street I'm on, ie. find a street sign and navigate from there... assuming I remember directions and the city doesn't look too different because of the storm.

Will use Reduce Density and set my dynamic array to Flight 6, using the storm as cover. When I get close (a block or two), I'll change it to Concealment 9 (all visual and... sound and smell?) and Flight 1 to remain hidden and scout out the situation.

Concealment = 2/rank + 1 (precise) - 1/rank (resistible) = 18 + 1 - 9 = 10 points, Flight = 2/rank = 2 points

If I remember correctly, checks to discover me aren't made until I do something to attract attention (moving things, attacking, making noise, etc) or characters try to find hidden things, right?
V shakes their head, "Guess I have a lead at least. Lets see if Milo is over there."

Becoming incorporeal, V takes to the sky and tries to find their destination quickly before anything else can happen.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2
Condition Fine
FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:47 am As you rummage through your memory, you note that the lighting is characteristic of fluorescent lighting, the sort used in situations where clarity is more important than any sort of aesthetics. You're certain that the setting is that of a research facility, or of a lab, although that only partially narrows things down. It could be one of the local universities or it could be a private think tank. Nonetheless, you are certain that this was not recorded in some anonymous warehouse.
Might be labs at the Aegis building. Will have to keep an eye out, but they won't have made the machine there. Aegis may not be our final destination.
FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:47 am As for the skating figure, you peg him for a recurring pest, The Mad Maple, a Canadian separatist (well, you remember him identifying specifically as Quebecois, at great length, in many rants) and a brilliant inventor who has various ice powers courtesy of his devices, as well as a severe hate for several hockey teams, including the Freedom Blades.
Okay, that's two villains identified. Hopefully not any more otherwise we'll be outnumbered.
FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:47 am "I keep my promises, but I am certain that, if you do not find what you seek at the location you just mentioned, you will at least find your way to your final destination." The last few words are delivered with a dry finality, suggesting some degree of malice, but his face is more neutral as he continues to herd people across the bridge.
Not a yes, not a no and the potential we might still have to fight him

"Stay out of trouble," he tells Glacier, I think there's enough people leaving to require your help for quite a while longer.

"The Aegis building is our next destination. Let's get moving." He motions to Snowdrift and Mirror Maiden to follow as he takes to the air.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

As fate might have it, all of the superheroes converge on the AEGIS building around the same time. The AEGIS offices are an unremarkable glass tower from the 1970s, easily missed save for the large bronze placard out front bearing the agency logo. Snow drifts twenty feet high stand piled against the building, barring all entrance, while spikes and spars of solid ice lean against broken windows and brace closed the doors of nearby businesses, where white-clad mercenaries keep watch.

Far more horrible is the street before you, where a dozen agents and their vehicles stand sealed in blocks of ice, looks of shock and rage frozen on their faces. A teenage girl in a blue unitard with white fur trim and blue-tinted goggles skates beautifully in and around the monoliths before circling and immobilizing the legs of a fleeing agent. A middle-aged man in a similar costume approaches, clapping politely.
“That’s enough playing with her, Neve. Wrap this up. We’re on the job.”
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

Dammit! I get here and people are already dying... The Protector is here? Along with a few others. Well, hopefully they don't attack me... at least the Protector knows I'm here to help... I hope.

V will fly over to the agent and try to take them carefully, but quickly away, revealing themself in the process.
OOC wrote: Will go over invisibly, however quickly I would need to go in order to stop the agent from getting frozen the rest of the way. Then activate density increase and max flight, trying not to hurt the guy... maybe chipping his shoes from the ground, and then just trying to get out of there as quickly as possible (probably getting attacked along the way).

Not sure if he can make it, being mostly frozen and all, but V will have to try... maybe get em to a hospital or at least somewhere warmer... or maybe to the other heroes if any of them can do something about it? Not sure what I would know about this or how to deal with it.

I know you kinda want us together at the moment, so I'm leaning towards asking the others for help, but I don't know what they are doing at the moment or how me trying to get the guy out will change the situation yet.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2
Condition

Fiddlesticks he always tried to curb the swearing around the kids though they'd hear worse at school and it was a habit that was sticking, people to rescue. So much for sneaking in. Now do we... he then spots V. They'd encountered each other when he'd fought the Power Corps, for some reason deciding to help him. Somehow V had stayed off the press' radar so to speak whilst everyone knew about him.

Wait... is that...? Hopefully here to help.

"The alien as Mad Maple called him is on our side I think," he didn't sound entirely sure, but continued anyway, "basically don't attack him unless he attacks us." In the absence of a leader, Miles will step up with a basic plan. "you two engage those villains, I'll take down the ones with guns. They will know we are coming after this so lets try to be quick."

With that he launches a barrage of concussion mini missiles at the goon squad at the door.
expertise freedom city: 1d20+9 26 to recognise the villains
Initiative: 1d20+6 11

Mini Missile Burst attack on the goon squad Damage DC 21 Burst
Move action for an interpose manoeuvre if one of the others is about to be hit hard by something
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

As V swoops in, the girl stares directly at them as they approach, and gracefully slides aside, letting them grab the block of ice. Pointing a finger at them, she says with young bravado.
"That's one for you. Get 'er out here. She was cramping my style." She punctuates this with a pirouette with her haloed by a spray of ice chips that form a flowery pattern around her.

Moving at high speed, V finds that the woman in their arms is already beginning to chip away on the ice on her lower body with a glowing knife stemming from a bracelet on one arm. She looks up and says, "Agent Jocelyn Gordon, AEGIS," she states, "I assume you're the cavalry?"

The larger black man looks slightly startled before he shifts into a snowy version of himself and moves beside the girl.
"Y'alright, princess?" he says, his gruff voice incongruous with his snowy form, "Don't escalate if you don't have to, but don't let your guard down either. Heroes may talk all honor and justice, but they'll also blast you while you're down 'to protect the world' and then tell the press you were about to execute a hostage."

As Snowdrift suddenly flew in, swinging his Frozen Hilt at the girl, the snowy figure is suddenly in front of her, catching the icy blade on his chest with a muted grunt as its ice blade shatters on his chest, the fragments of ice melding into his form as he grabs the device and a thick rime of frost forms on it. With a fluid movement, he spins and tosses Snowdrift to one side. "Get him, baby girl."

The young girl fires a barrage of icy flakes at Snowdrift, several of them flying towards his weapon, but Snowdrift is pushed aside by Protector. The man grunts and adds, "Don't worry. You'll get it."

As Protector's micro-missiles hurl half of the mercenaries into snowbanks, where they're left groaning, he continues. "See? They'll say it's 'reasonable force' and 'acceptable collateral damage'." He clenches his fists, which have swelled in size with added snow.
"Just finish up your dance, baby, and I'll handle them."
OOC wrote:V gets a Hero Point for leaping in, ruining the aspect of surprise.

Ice Princess Will Save: 26; Initiative: 19 and Johnny Frostbite Will Save: 15; Initiative: 17

Snowdrift Initiative: 1D20+7 = [14]+7 = 21

Current Initiative
Snowdrift: 21
Ice Princess: 19
Johnny Frostbite: 17 (Bruised)
Mirror Maiden: 15
Protector: 11
V (next round): 4

Snowdrift is holding his action for the moment and I'm letting Protector jump the queue slightly from a narrative perspective.

I'm going to say that half of the 4 mercenaries on scene are in the area of the micro-missiles. _: Vulpes Dodge/Toughness: 12; 9 and 8; 19 has them going down.

Snowdrift will act, rushing in to hit Ice Princess with his Frozen Hilt and Johnny Frostbite will Interpose. Attack roll (frozen hilt): 1D20+10 = [19]+10 = 29 hit easily. Toughness: 14 is sufficient to only take a Bruise and Dazed due to his Immunities. He retaliates with his Shatter. His first attack misses, but due to his Second Chance, he gets to reroll. Attack Roll (Shatter): 20 will hit, and sap 8 points of Toughness from the Frozen Hilt. Ice Princess will follow up by barraging Snowdrift and his weapon with ice shards. Attack Roll (Ice Shards, 2 targets): 19 would miss Snowdrift, but with Protector doing an Interpose, will hit him instead, and 9 will miss Snowdrift's weapon.

That will end the first round once Mirror Maiden gets a chance to act.

I need Mirror Maiden's and V's initiative.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

V speaks to the agent while trying to get them away from the area a ways, "For now I'm just trying to make sure they didn't turn you into a popsicle. What happened anyway? Did the agents try storming the area or was it the other way around?"

V looks for a good spot to set them down.
OOC wrote: Initiative: 1d20 = 4

Sounds about right. Mostly making sure the agent is okay at the moment before helping everyone else.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

Mirror Maiden raises one hand, and concentrates on immobilizing the young female villain. At first, it looks like it's working, as the girl is lifted off of her feet, but she does a quick twist within Mirror Maiden's mental grip and drops lightly to her feet.
"Tryin' to cramp my style? Nuh-uh," she says, spraying Mirror Maiden's general location with ice chips that fail to make contact.
"Aim, then fire, princess," the older villain says, weathering a sudden sucker punch from Snowdrift, a long icicle sprouting out of one fist, before he steps in and punches it into Protector's armor, "You're letting them rile you up. You're better than that."

Mirror Maiden concentrates again, and then points to one side, shouting, "Now, agents! While they're distracted!" From a nearby alleyway, there's a hollow rattle of automatic fire as illusory bullet marks spackle the snow, clearly evident as illusions to the rest of the heroes. The two villains look askance at the snow before shaking their heads, the older villain speaking.
"That one's a tricky one. Telekinesis and illusions? Betcha we got a mind manipulator."
OOC wrote:Mirror Maiden's action is to try to use her Telekinesis on Ice Princess to immobilize her. Attack roll (Telekinesis): 1D20+10 = [17]+10 = 27 hits readily. Dodge check: 14 is sufficient to leave her restrained (immobile and vulnerable).

At the top of the initiative, Snowdrift will sheath his Frozen Hilt and punch Johnny Frostbite. Attack roll (Unarmed, AoA 2): 1D20+8+2 = [8]+8+2 = 18 will just hit for a DC 23 Toughness save. Toughness: 21 will lead to another Bruise.
Ice Princess, for her part, will use a Move action to roll the better of Athletics or Acrobatics to escape the grip, with a total of Acrobatics: 26 meaning she's free. She will then attempt to barrage Mirror Maiden with her Multiattack. Attack roll (Multiattack): 13 misses cleanly.
Johnny Frostbite will use his Ice Weapon power to swing at Protector. Attack roll (Ice Weapon): 27 will hit readily for a DC 24 Toughness save.
Mirror Maiden will use her Illusion to try to make it look like an AEGIS agent is firing from a nearby alley. Will save: 23 and 29 unfortunately means it works on neither villain.

Protector is up next on the Initiative, and has two Toughness saves to make. Then, V will arrive on the scene.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 1
Condition Fine
toughness check 1: 1d20+12 29
toughness check 2: 1d20+12 31
Woah, I didn't realise the suit was this resilient

"You mean like being killed protecting some evil mastermind and ending like this. Or murdering people for another one." he retorts, before dialling up the power levels on his suit and he unleashes a powerful blast at Johnny Frostbrite. Provided the target is still standing, he will take to the air to get some distance.
Power attack: 1d20+5 14 DC30 if that manages to hit
rereoll: 1d20+5 11 +10 for HP so 21 DC30 toughness check
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

Johnny grunts as the beams strike him, driving him back a step as snow explodes off of him before beginning to cake back on.
"Don't plan on dying. Not for a paycheck. But it's gonna take more than that," he says, "And the fact that you're talking about murdering people tells me what kind of hero is running around these days. What, Force Ops wouldn't take you in back in the day?" He squares himself up in front of the girl.
"Just keep behind me, baby doll. I can take the hits if you can make 'em count."
OOC wrote:Toughness: 21 nets Johnny another Bruise and the Dazed condition. Taking 10 on the Expertise check on Freedom City will remind you that FORCE Ops, the Freelance Organization of Criminal Elimination Operatives, was a team that operated during the dark days of the Moore Act, when the government had outlawed any superheroes who weren't under their control (it's part of the Freedom City Iron Age). While not villainous, they were not exactly gentle in how they treated the villains the fought, with fatalities occasionally happening.

And can I get a DC 10 Insight check from you?

V is up next in the initiative.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:38 am Johnny grunts as the beams strike him, driving him back a step as snow explodes off of him before beginning to cake back on.
"Don't plan on dying. Not for a paycheck. But it's gonna take more than that," he says, "And the fact that you're talking about murdering people tells me what kind of hero is running around these days. What, Force Ops wouldn't take you in back in the day?" He squares himself up in front of the girl.
Flying up about 20 feet in the air, he starts to prepare for another attack.

"No, you nincompoop," he retorts angrily, "you're the murderer here or do you think encasing people in ice is good for their health?"
FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:38 am And can I get a DC 10 Insight check from you?
My insight is +9 so I can't fail the roll
insight: 1d20+9 26 sigh, why can't I manage decent rolls on my attacks
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

V will set the agent down and attempt to get them out of the ice by phasing them through it.

"Let me try something... hope this works."
ooc wrote:Switch to Denisty Decrease (Insubstantial 4)

I assume from my reading that I use the rank as a bonus against their opposed roll:

Counter Power Roll: 1d20+4 = 20

Not bad. Hope that works... if not, I give an apology to the Agent before anything else.
Regardless of the outcome, V sees the fight ongoing and speeds off in that direction, making a point to meet up with Protector. When they get there, they keep a respectful distance from Protector, facing toward both Johnny and Princess (if possible) and puts up their fists.
ooc wrote:Insubstantial is still active as well as max Flight 6

Not sure if they heard any of that conversation, so they remain silent for now.

Funny thinking what kind of reaction to the "alien" that is now floating in the middle of this.[/b]
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

Johnny Frostbite snorts. "She's not that clumsy. They're just on ice. They'll be mostly fine with a bit of careful thawing... maybe a bit of frostbite, but some of them could do with losing their itchy trigger fingers," he says.

In that moment, V finishes phasing the one agent from her ice block, and in a matter of seconds, there's an alien figure floating in the air not far from Protector. Johnny eyes the figure of V, and then Protector again. You see the oversized fists of snow and ice clench. He speaks over his shoulder.
"Looks like it's going to be a slobberknocker. We've done our part. Maybe it's time to exercise the better part of valor?"
"Nng," Ice Princess whines out, spinning a quick pirouette in place, "They're going to smash everything as soon as we leave, you know. And payment generally doesn't happen until the work is done."
"Done is done," Johnny Frostbite fires back, "We've sealed the building and the agents... do you really think you have anything more to prove?"

Ice Princess eyes the assembled heroes, her gaze lingering on Mirror Maiden for a time in frank assessment.
"I guess not... exit Delta?"

Snowdrift moves back, unshouldering his rifle, holding it at the ready. He glances over at the other heroes to see how they're reacting. Mirror Maiden gives half a shrug, her force field shimmering around her.
OOC wrote:Current Initiative
Snowdrift: 21
Ice Princess: 19
Johnny Frostbite: 17 (Bruised x2, Dazed)
Mirror Maiden: 15
Protector: 11
V (next round): 4

The villains are holding with Readied actions, as are Snowdrift and Mirror Maiden.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2 now 1 after PM

Looking at the situation, he sighs and realises what is right in front of him. I can't believe I am going to do this he remonstrates with himself, hoping to avoid further violence. He lands on the ground gently and holds his hands up briefly to indicate he isn't about to attack.

"Not going to attack you. Parley I think was the term they used in those pirate films." he says in a friendly manner, the abrupt change in tone from his last comment to the giant snowman probably giving him whiplash. Provided he isn't attacked, Miles leans in to speak to Johnny Frostbite without anybody else hearing.

Screw this up and I'm going to get pulverised like an atom in a particle collider.

"If what you say is true and none of these agents are dead by you or the young lady's hand, then you have completed your assignment presumably.
The hired thugs are down, but as far as you are aware, they were still standing when you left. Aegis won't be as interested in you if you both decide to skip town and we can always neglect to know whom was responsible. Anybody caught standing with Madame Zero is going to have the full weight of a lot of groups come down on them. Anybody looking out for people they care about and avoiding that wrath will probably find themselves an afterthought in terms of any retribution from the authorities?
Anyway, does Madame Zero seem like somebody stable enough to keep something like this from collapsing like entropy very quickly? Anybody staying around her is going to get hurt."

Persuasion: 1d20+6 13
HP for a reroll
Persuasion reroll: 1d20+6 13 exactly the same roll. With HP though, that's a 23