[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
TheMadDadder

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden
HP: 2

Protector? Wasn't necessarily a name she was familiar with, but that could have been a good thing. She hadn't heard anything good, but neither has she heard anything bad. Despite that, the more allies, the better. Protector could have information on Madame Zero's whereabouts which was more than Maiden had on hand.

"I'm going to the rendezvous with Avian. Come along if you'd like or stay here with the civilians."

Maiden would then leave to brave the storm and link up with Protector.
Not much to add here!
UmbralDagger13

Post by UmbralDagger13 »

Snowdrift
HP: 4

"That sounds like a good idea, I'll join you. Thanks to working with some contacts, I have an idea on places her engine could be but would rather work with others to solve this quickly." He quickly tried to recall if his sister had mentioned anything about Protector as he flew with Mirror Maiden.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

As you speak, you see some of the other patrons of the bar rest their hands on faint bulges in their pockets, but no one has drawn a weapon yet. As you approach to put your hand on Milo, the man in the winter clothing raises his rifle a bit higher.
"I would appreciate if we can keep things civil," he says, his finger lying beside the trigger with proper discipline, but nonetheless ready.

The man on the floor raises his head, and speaks quickly, with a faint tremor in his voice.
"My name is Milo—er, Milan Barinov, and I think my father is wrapped up in this whole mess. We’ve barely spoken in decades, but last week he e-mailed me; said he was coming to Freedom City and that he had a lead on a cure for my daughter, Molly. I flew in to have it out with him, and then this mess started and, well... it’s kind of his signature."
The mercenary by the door clears his threat and speaks.

"It would be best for you if you did not speak further and came with me," he says.
OOC wrote::) It's a few too many just because this would be multiple actions, and they have some interest in acting as well, but I'll give you the Move action to go to him. Persuasion is generally a Standard action, and is against a DC of 15. One degree of success will raise the attitude of those you try to persuade by one, which takes the people in the bar from Indifferent to Favorable, "Will chat, advise, and offer limited help". Intimidation would require another Standard action, as does Readying an action (where you can choose either a Free or Standard action to ready), so you probably wouldn't be able to do that in the next turn.

Go ahead and roll your initiative. They roll badly, with Initiative: 2 as their count. So you are up first. They do have their own Readied action, which will go off if there's any visible use of weapons or powers, but you'll probably get to act first after that.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Protector, Mirror Maiden, and Snowdrift

As Mirror Maiden and Snowdrift exit the shelter, they're struck with the bitter cold as the wind bites into them and tries to steal their breath. Still, with some quick movement, and Snowdrift's help in lifting, they both settle down on the top of WKYO, where an armored figure is standing by the antenna.
OOC wrote:Can I get two Fortitude checks from Mirror Maiden and Snowdrift for the Extreme cold. The first is at DC 10 and the second DC 11. I think Snowdrift has a +2 on his check due to the winter clothes he picked up. The cold is covered by Protector's Life Support, so he doesn't need to roll for it.

Each failed check will gain you a level of Fatigue.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 3

ooc wrote:Initiative: 1d20+0 = 19
FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:11 am:) It's a few too many just because this would be multiple actions, and they have some interest in acting as well...
Kinda figured, just wanted to get out Max's intentions in case things actually went that way. Did jump the gun a little in that there is opposition however...

So I guess we rewind back to after "getting the crowd on my side bit."
Max will continue unabated, attempting to gently grab Milan's arm as if to help him up. "Well I guess that means its important that we don't let these guys have you then. Sounds like you still have a lot to do and a daughter to take care of."
ooc wrote:Alright... now I'm a little sketchy on the details. I want to take a Standard Action to Defend myself. I'm making an assumption that he has to make an attack roll with that gun of his and I'm hoping I'm correct. (Also that his buddies can't get a good bead on me since he's still in the door way)

However, I also want to touch Milan and active my Insubstantial Power. From what I'm reading this should only take a single Free Action, but I could be wrong. There doesn't seem to be a resistance roll, but I do have to touch him and maintain contact with him. I'm making an assumption that as long as there is no resistance from Milan this should be fine. I'm thinking though, that if he does resist, that at minimum, I may have to make an attack against him in order to affect him with my power. If that is the case, I would rather not use my standard action to defend myself and instead spend my action to make an attack roll to touch him.

Possible Attack Roll: u]1d20+10[/u] = 13
(Guess that might also be a "grab," but it seems that the attack could still stand for that. If required at all and still fails, I'll spend a hero point to reroll.)

If everything goes as planned, ie. Max either doesn't get hit, or resists the attack and successfully maintains contact with Milan:
Max focuses for a second and says, "Please don't freak out, this is gonna feel a little weird."

Max then mentally 'pushes.' Suddenly, both Max and Milan become slightly indistinct and wispy, color seemingly draining out of them as they become less 'real,' their mass being contained in some other outer dimension.

Max sighs, "Now lets see if I can get you out of here."
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

Bracing yourself to dodge if an attack comes in, you concentrate on shifting your mass and that of the man before you into another dimension. Startled, the man at the door snaps off a shot that goes completely wide as you start to waver into the other dimension, which leads to a gasp or two from the periphery, and a few exchanged bills due to outstanding bets regarding you having powers. As you shift into intangibility, the man at the door begins stepping back, waving his gun at the others in your bar.
"Retreating," he says into his lapel, "Fox in the henhouse has picked up chick and pulled a Mr. Mist."

After several seconds, one of the patrons steps over and closes the open door to the bar and turns toward you with raised eyebrows.
OOC wrote:The mercenary's readied action was to shoot if there was evidence of powers or aggression, and he does so, which technically pre-empts the power, although your Defend action kicks in. Normally, when Defending, you'd roll 1d20, add 10 if it's less than 11 (which is mathematically the same as rolling 1d10+10), and then add your defense bonuses to determine what your defense is against that attack. However, he rolled Attack roll: 7, so there's no point.

So, the sequence is that you start off with preparing to dodge with your Defend action, then attempt to trigger your power. His Readied action happens, and he misses, then you successfully turn the both of you Insubstantial, which will be evident since it's Sustained and not Subtle. You technically have a Move action left.

I left the patron's action open, because I wasn't certain if you'd go into pursuit, but they're cautiously friendly still, assuming that this is merely an ace in the hole that you hadn't expressed before.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2
Condition Okay
FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:28 am At the antenna, you find the local power completely dead. Hooking your suit power to it causes a dip in a system functions as the draw increases, but you're able to broadcast your message a good half a dozen times before your suit starts popping up inidicators that system drain is greater than the power supply, and that continuing could lead to a more severe drain.
As the HUD starts flashing, he cuts the power connection hurriedly.
Nope, not going to screw my suit over like that. Either I got heard and people are coming or I'm doing this on my own. Just need to give them chance to get here.
FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:28 am You do notice an echo of signal from the south-east, and a little bit of maneuvering confirms that it might be the bridge. As a repeater station, and using the bridge's structure to increase the antenna size, it seems it might still be operating on emergency power. That also suggests it might be part of how Madame Zero is bouncing the signal.
Taking a moment to analyse the data, he gently drums his fingers on the panel as the information displays on his HUD.

With that bleed off, its unlikely to be the main transmitter. Excellent though if its still powered, I can use that to track down the next part of the signal without using the suit power.

Anxiously, he waits for any reinforcements, desperately hoping that he wouldn't have to face Madam Zero on his own.
FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:48 am As Mirror Maiden and Snowdrift exit the shelter, they're struck with the bitter cold as the wind bites into them and tries to steal their breath. Still, with some quick movement, and Snowdrift's help in lifting, they both settle down on the top of WKYO, where an armored figure is standing by the antenna.
Protector raises his hand, the palm glowing, as the others arrive.

"Friend or foe?" he asks, hoping that they are allies and that he hasn't set himself up to be attacked by allies of Madame Zero
No rolls
UmbralDagger13

Post by UmbralDagger13 »

Snowdrift
HP: 4

Snowdrift seeing the glowing raised hand, readies his sword and warily answers, "Hopefully friend. You called for those investigating Madame Zero, didn't you?"
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

Milo swallows. "I'd really prefer going somewhere more private before we talk about this... it involves my family." He glances around the room, at all of the spectators. "I don't want to get it going out any further than it has to."

"We got a back room," the bartender says roughly, "Private enough. I'll put it on your tab."
TheMadDadder

Post by TheMadDadder »

Mirror Maiden
HP: 2

Maiden halted in mid-air as she saw the hand come up. She threw her arm in front of Snowdrift to avoid them from drawing all the way.

"We're allies. We're hoping to share information and possibly form a team to finish this before Madame Zero freezes the entire city. I'm Mirror Maiden and this is Snowdrift. I suppose you can call us local heroes."

Maiden smiled hoping to avoid fighting a would-be ally.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2
Condition Okay

TheMadDadder wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:10 am "We're allies. We're hoping to share information and possibly form a team to finish this before Madame Zero freezes the entire city. I'm Mirror Maiden and this is Snowdrift. I suppose you can call us local heroes."
UmbralDagger13 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:18 am Snowdrift seeing the glowing raised hand, readies his sword and warily answers, "Hopefully friend. You called for those investigating Madame Zero, didn't you?"
Miles breathes a sigh of relief inside his power armour and lowers his hand.

I wasn't sure who was going to turn up," he explains to the new arrivals, maybe Madame Zero had minions who she might send to pick off any meddling heroes like us. Still, any help is useful. I'm Protector. Also local to Century Station."

He turns back to the transmitter and hopes nobody suddenly attacks him as he disconnects.
"I've got a lead from examining the signal here. Madame Zero is bouncing her signal off multiple locations making it difficult to track her, especially with the power down. The Pramas bridge has another transmitter and still has power and its part of the network Madame Zero is using." He offers up what he knows.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

ooc wrote:Before Milo says something.
Max looks a little confused and asks the guy nearest the door, "Are they actually gone?"

Assuming an affirmative, Max lets out a breath and actually looks a little disappointed. With a little hesitation, she helps up Milo and puts a little more distance between herself and the door, walking Milo further in with her before she disengages her power.

Seriously? Humans are still confusing to me. A little unknown and they get spooked and run for it... Guess they aren't that inquisitive, unlike someone else I know.

Max sighs and says, "Hey, who put that bet on me about me being a super?" She sighs, "Well, I guess it doesn't matter much now. Anyway, I don't want them sneaking up on me, so I guess I'll show you guys something else."

Max activates the inverse of her power, pulling from that space that V can barely reach but makes them feel more whole. Space seems to flex around them for a second and then rights itself. Colors seem to stand out more around her and when she moves its like every step, every sway of her arms has more weight to it.
ooc wrote:Activate Density Increase.
"Cool huh? Now please don't go telling everybody about this. Its a special occasion and I'd like to have some secrets after all," turning to Milo, "So I guess we need to talk. I'm very curious what's going on around here... and not like I like pointing this out but I think you owe me an explanation after what happened."
FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:26 am Milo swallows. "I'd really prefer going somewhere more private before we talk about this... it involves my family." He glances around the room, at all of the spectators. "I don't want to get it going out any further than it has to."

"We got a back room," the bartender says roughly, "Private enough. I'll put it on your tab."
Max nods, "Sounds like a plan. Anyway... sorry for making a spectacle of myself. I think I owe everyone a drink. A round on me."
ooc wrote:I'm assuming I can do that since "money" is kinda ambiguous and getting them a round probably isn't outside my budget.
Max will then walk with Milo into the back, putting herself between him and the door (probably more for his safety than any fear of escape), and listen to his explanation.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

In the room, Milo takes a moment to recover, and then speaks. "My father, Vasili. He is...he was Soviet special forces in the Cold War but went rogue. Brought me to the United States after my mother died, but he wasn’t a good man. I made my own way but he always...stayed close. Sends money sometimes. I only discovered a few years ago he still works as a mercenary who specializes in creating blizzards like this one. He goes by the name of the Arctic Fox."
OOC wrote:Feel free to ask multiple questions and we can interweave them, although he of course may not have all of the answers.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

ooc wrote:I guess we'll go over a few questions and V's thoughts behind them.
"Why would he betray his country? He must have had a reason." I think I want to know a little bit more on the man's character.

"Do you know how he 'makes' blizzards? Does he have powers or is it technology like what Madam Zeroe said on the broadcast?" Could be taken at face value, but I like to know more if possible.

"What do you know about our current situation? Do you know how your father is involved in this?" Besides the blizzard itself, how is Vasili connected to this?

"Do you know why those men wanted to capture you? Were they trying to use you against your father?" If that's the case, why? If they already have his cooperation, why do they need his son? Insurance? Or maybe he's holding something from them... something important. The only other thing that comes to mind is that them wanting Milo has nothing to do with his Father... but if so, what do they want from Milo himself?
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

V

Milo groans and scrubs at his face with his hands.
"Why? Well, he claimed it was because they burned him first, that he was a loyal KGB operative until he made someone in the government angry and they framed him... 1973 was when the soldiers came and claimed that he decided to betray the Motherland. Mother tried to protest his innocence and they turned her guns on her and..." he shudders with the memory.

"I was a coward, stayed on the floor, didn't defend him, went along like a good little citizen, the home where I grew up in up in flames, as they marched me off to be... re-educated. Days passed, and then there was whirling snow and bullets and death, and he was there, except he'd gone even colder. He smuggled us both to the United States, set us up with new identities." He pauses, and takes a deep rattling breath before slowly letting it out.

"I told him that he was why she died, why I had suffered. I told him what a horrible father he was, and kept running away every chance I got, with him tracking me down every time and bringing me home whether I wanted to or not. And then, one day, he didn't. I woke up to a note from him stating that I was a man now, and could choose my own life. He had provided me money, keys to an apartment with the rent paid up, documentation for who I was and people I could be if I needed to escape. And he stayed away. Sent me money occasionally. It was only a few years ago that I made the connection and realized he was still acting as a mercenary today. That the money he had been sending was all stained with blood, some of it probably innocent."

"As far as the snow, I don’t know much about his career. It’s just some kind of generator he picked up. He trained to fight in arctic conditions, so he
gives himself an edge by creating winter wherever he goes. His generator isn’t usually this powerful, but if he’s teamed up with someone who understands the science, maybe they could make it a lot bigger. I... I didn't know for certain that he was involved until I saw his men in town. That and the blizzard made me make the connection that he was involved. I was able to access one of his civilian email accounts, one which I don't think he knew I knew the password to, and he was speaking to a Doctor Leonard, a woman here in Freedom City, about the cure for Molly. She described the treatment, but it's all Greek to me." He gave a faint smile. "And not just Medical Greek."

"As far as why his men would be after me... maybe it's him, trying to reconnect, to tell me about this cure. We... I've said some harsh words in the past, and maybe he didn't think I would come willingly. I don't know if I would have come willingly if he'd asked." He chuckles humorously. "I take after him in some ways. I was a teenager when mother died almost fifty years ago. I'm told I look like I'm in my later thirties to early forties now, but in some ways, that teenager never got older. I never forgave him for that, and I've even denied him Molly, although I'm sure he's got surveillance photos, probably has all sorts of memorabilia of her growing up that he stole or salvaged. For all I know, she's met him, although I don't think he would have revealed his identity." After a moment of contemplation, he adds, almost blurts out.

"Or maybe it's not him... he doesn't fight for an ideology, and neither do the men who work for him. If someone else paid them, maybe arranged for them to steal the generator and bring it to them..." His eyes gleam with a quiet desperation. "Maybe he is not here, is not involved, or the generator and his men are the payment for this treatment."