Ms Marvel MCU tv series

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
catsi563

Ms Marvel MCU tv series

Post by catsi563 »

First episode watched and its interesting got some real potential

cant wait to see where it goes
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
FuzzyBoots

Re: Ms Marvel MCU tv series

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I was very entertained. I thought they did a good job of handling the tension of a second-generation immigrant who loves their family, but wants more than what their ancestry is. I never really read the original comic, so I have no opinion on the use of hard light constructs versus shapechanging.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

It was okay, not the masterpiece that some are making it out to be. My main issue is that her fan-girling over Carol Danvers doesn't make much sense in the MCU given her lack of activity on Earth, maybe over the course of the show they'll show us that Carol was more active than we've seen.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

M4C8 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:38 am It was okay, not the masterpiece that some are making it out to be. My main issue is that her fan-girling over Carol Danvers doesn't make much sense in the MCU given her lack of activity on Earth, maybe over the course of the show they'll show us that Carol was more active than we've seen.
Eh, my experience with fanfiction is that it doesn't matter how minor the character is. Heck, just look at some of the figures in Hamilton. If a superhero showed up and made one or two good showings and then raced off, there's going to be someone who's going to start finding "proof" they intervened in a bunch of other places. And if they make enough of an impression, people will be cosplaying and making costumes. Pizza Rat.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

It's fun so far. Kevin Feige is doing his normal thing of keeping the same universe, but each show being unique in tone and style. The family dynamics are a nice way to keep it grounded and relatable.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

One thing im liking so far because for me its so relatable is the way the world shifts around her in animated style as her imagination runs wild, I can so relate to that walking down the street looking at a bird in the sky and seeing a dragon.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yes, that was a nice touch.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

I like it so far as well. The villains are a bit bland, but sadly, that's par for the course with the MCU. I did not expect to enjoy the family dynamics as much as I actually do. Kudos to the actors who manage to portray a family that's trying to find balance between going with modern times and their traditional values and their faith while at their core being very loving and supportive.
Apropos, I find it's a good move that they toned down her brother's fundamentalism. in the comics, at least as far as I have read them, he came off as a bit of a caricature.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

just watched the last 2 episodes and they were great,

and that last episode in the final moments when bruno explains the possible origins of Kamalas powers theres a musical blurb that brings some amazing nostalgia when you hear it

add in that insane cameo at the end and this was a fun series with some great setup for the rest of the phase

Catsi stories
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

It felt to me as if the writers (or at least I assume the head writer) were so concerned with telling a story about Partition, in which they then had to work out a way to include Kamala that they forgot what the show was supposed to be about and sadly it came at the expense of much of what made her book popular in the first place (which we got hints of in the first episode) Kamala and her life in Jersey.

Also, I've always loved the ClanDestine so it's annoying that they used the name of something so great for such dreary one note villains.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I just finished it up and I enjoyed it alot more than I was expecting. It was a refreshing story in the MCU that made mention of it, but still was its own thing. The tone and focus on non super hero community of the main character added a new dynamic that made it tonally distinct from the other movies.and shows. At first, I didn't like Kamala and she felt more of an appeal to the young adult audience, but as the series progressed, she became more than your standard special head in the cloud teen character. The villains were very blah, but they didn't matter as much to the story of community and family. It wasn't my favourite series, but it was fun and added a fresh voice to the MCU.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

M4C8 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:31 pm It felt to me as if the writers (or at least I assume the head writer) were so concerned with telling a story about Partition, in which they then had to work out a way to include Kamala that they forgot what the show was supposed to be about and sadly it came at the expense of much of what made her book popular in the first place (which we got hints of in the first episode) Kamala and her life in Jersey.

Also, I've always loved the ClanDestine so it's annoying that they used the name of something so great for such dreary one note villains.
I agree with that last part-Alan Davis' characters likely would have been better served if they hadn't been part of the MU, but stood alone. While Marvel could still redeem themselves by introducing more true-to-the-comics Clan Destine family members in the future, this was semi-disrespectful.

Overall I did like the Ms. Marvel Disney + series, as the character was likeable and resourceful but not infallible, even a little immature, and there were strong notes of family and heritage emphasized.

All my best.