Mutants and Masterminds-Star-Crossed Adventure!

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
greycrusader

Mutants and Masterminds-Star-Crossed Adventure!

Post by greycrusader »

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/39 ... t_filtered

For all fans of the old-school New Mutants, the animated Teen Titans, or the modern day Young Avengers, an adventure where young heroes-in-training contend with their counterparts from a villainous academy, their foes of the future! Yet are both groups of young superhumans actually being manipulated by a more sinister force, leading to a dire fate for both? The answers are in Star-Crossed, newest Astonishing Adventure for M&M!

This just debuted a few days ago, and I'll be posting supplemental material and options for the adventure over the next two weeks.

All my best.
greycrusader

Re: Mutants and Masterminds-Star-Crossed Adventure!

Post by greycrusader »

Since Star-Crossed, debuted a bit less than a week ago, I'm going to begin posting a few suggestions and supplemental material for the newest Astonishing Adventure; for those not yet familiar, this one is intended for a Hero High campaign, set at Clarlemont Academy (or your own GM's equivalent "school for "talented" young people), with the PC heroes squaring off against their opposite numbers from a rival school, Elysium-and BOTH teams being manipulated toward a dire destiny by a lurking villain behind the scenes.

While the heroes may be the next iteration of the Next-Gen team, another option discussed in the opening is having the characters be the Claremont Academy's troublemakers, rebels, or other don't-quite-fit-in types. They might even be a group recruited from outside the school's confines, perhaps even borderline antiheroes or fugitives. There are ready-made teen teams like this already pre-made, such as the Starblights from Rogues Gallery, or the Shadow-Teen mutates recently posted on the M&M Patreon. The rules mechanic below works especially well for characters who fall in the latter two categories.

(**********MINOR SPOILER BELOW**********)

(************************************************)

During the course of the adventure, the heroes are subject to the villain's psychological manipulations; the GM may rule that those who fall victim suffer a -2 penalty to checks made to resist the main villain's Deception, Intimidation, or Will-based attacks during the finale's confrontation (or even a -5 penalty for succumbing more than once, but that could end up being quite harsh); however, any characters who fail a check due to these penalties, is then immediately rewarded with a Power Point, to be spent on an Advantage or Alternate Effect that the Gamemaster deems appropriate. This should reflect a character having a "coming of age" moment, where a young hero perseveres despite failure, or gains insight from struggle; some Advantages which are especially appropriate are Extraordinary Effort, Seize Initiative, Holding Back, and Untapped Potential (the last two from Hero High). The pp is deducted from rewards otherwise given at the adventure's end, but is otherwise permanent.

More to come! All my best
Davies

Post by Davies »

Great idea!
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Thank you!

A link to the latest post at the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1924329 ... 1587229757
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I liked this adventure! I don't know when I'll get a chance to actually run it, but it looks interesting and has some nice set pieces and roleplaying opportunities. The only thing I'd probably change is make a few of the contests require more die rolls, but that's just because the d20 is so swingy for my tastes.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Very glad you enjoyed the material! I originally wrote the various contests as requiring a series of contested die rolls, but they were streamlined in the interest of faster playing time. As the preface to the adventure suggests, a GM can opt to have the events play out over a significantly longer time period if the campaign style is suitable.

Another update on the M&M FB page which expands a bit further on this, and also incorporate material from another new release:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1924329 ... 6112479060
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

This link doesn't work for me.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

That's odd, it works for me.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Just to add another data point, that link does not bring me directly to a post about the adventure. It instead brings me to the top of the group, possibly because I had already read the post.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I will see about reposting directly here a bit later.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

As promised, re-posting the material directly for interested parties:

Hey everyone-continuing my posts on supporting the new Hero High adventure, Star-Crossed, and having recently acquired Danger Zone: School, I figured I'd post a bit on employing ideas from the latter in the former:
First, let me state that while the events of Star-Crossed can readily be played out over a short (in-game) span (suggested as 1-2 weeks), there is also the option of letting the story arc play out over a longer period in the game universe, anywhere from 2+ weeks to a full school semester. This is appropriate for ongoing teen hero campaigns with a relaxed enough pace to allow for a "slow burn", with minor stories playing out while the main plot runs in the background. The ideas below are most appropriate for this type of campaign.

The Bully: While the visiting Alpha Team kids are more than capable of defending themselves physically--and it fact are more likely to bully than be victims--as outsiders to the school, they might certainly be the victims of social harassment/ostracism or vile cyber-bullying. Demonwing is especially vulnerable to this, given his appearance and demeanor, but Ms. Scorpion might end up on the receiving end of a "mean girl" clique, given her social background (which she may attempt to lie about or obfuscate). Apex could likewise be a cyber-bullying target-a hirsute, musclebound teen boy who is also entitled and pretentious; the heroes may have to not only uncover the harasser(s) identity, but save him or her from retaliation, violent or otherwise!

The Out of Control Teen Psychic: A GM familiar with the adventure will soon realize the mood of the Claremont school worsens throughout due to the events unfolding, with the students' mental health suffering as a result. This could certainly end up being the trigger for a personal crisis unleashing the dormant potential of a psi-powered NPC student; actually there are many power-origin types applicable to this scenario (magic based, mutant elementalist, etc.). Both the player character heroes and the Elysian visitors may have to stand against a potentially catastrophic threat. Temporarily bumping up the Out of Control Teen Psychic's PL to 10, adding advantages such as Holding Back, and/or the various options which have been discussed on M&M Mondays for team vs. solo villain combat can make this scenario a daunting challenge!

PS: I also suggest bumping up the Toughness ratings of most of the standard school features, such as bleachers and water fountains described in the latest DZ release, to reflect Claremont Academy being built with more than the average student in mind.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

For all those running a Hero High campaign (or even just running the occasional one-shot story arc featuring teen heroes), the latest Astonishing Adventure showcasing such exploits hit Green Ronin's PDF store just last week, namely Star-Crossed by this humble author (with assistance from Crystal Frasier, Alex Thomas, and the other talented staff at GR). While the adventure features the Claremont Academy being hosting a visit from the rival Elysium school, the natural follow-up storyline would be the heroes being invited to Emerald City for a stay at their "shadow" academy, home to the miscreants of Alpha Team!

The pretext for the invitation would be "gratitude" for the help rendered by the young heroes during the events of the adventure; actually Marionette and the other Elysium staff want another opportunity to size up the characters and maybe try turning their allegiances. While the heroes might be suspicious, the Claremont administration ask them to accept and get further info on Elysium-but they will be accompanied by chaperones, an adult hero or three ready to shield the kids from any harm or coercive influence.

However, instead of heavy-handed tactics, the Freedom City teens are feted, shown every courtesy, and given the grand tour. The Elysium staff take pains to show the superiority of their resources, network, and scholastic programs. The Claremont group is startled to find their parents or legal guardians invited there as well, with promises of their children having their choice of universities upon graduation, or in some cases the adults offered lucrative new jobs if they and their kids relocate and transfer to Elysium
The Headmistress/Marionette plays upon on psychological Complications she may have picked up during the previous adventure's events; she will even use low-level psychic "nudges" to push the heroes into being more suggestible.

While the player characters are unlikely to ultimately switch their loyalties, they may have to engage in solid role-playing to convince their parents/older siblings/guardians. They may also be tasked with convincing one or more NPC super-powered student NOT to be fooled by Elysium's come-on. This could involve stealth and detective work to uncover some of the academy's unsavory connections (such as Ms. Scorpion's family background, or their shady sources of funding) and/or playing on the Alpha Team's OWN psych profiles to provoke them into revealing their nasty natures!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Oh, I like it. And then there's the third adventure in the trilogy, where both schools discover that there is a third school in the middle of the country, not really good but not really bad (isolationists rather than heroes or villains), and they both send their teams to learn more and prevent the other from gaining an ally (or rather pawn for the bad guys.) This time they're both in unfamiliar territory.

EDIT: Wow, that was really rude of me, pitching that in someone else's thread. If you'd like me to take this down, I will.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

It wasn’t rude at all; I honestly appreciate others being interested enough in my work that it spurs their own ideas. Frankly, you came up with a fine final third to a story arc!

All my best!
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Davies wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:30 am Oh, I like it. And then there's the third adventure in the trilogy, where both schools discover that there is a third school in the middle of the country, not really good but not really bad (isolationists rather than heroes or villains), and they both send their teams to learn more and prevent the other from gaining an ally (or rather pawn for the bad guys.) This time they're both in unfamiliar territory.

EDIT: Wow, that was really rude of me, pitching that in someone else's thread. If you'd like me to take this down, I will.
Three adventure hooks (though the first is more a concept for scenarios appropriate for involving both teams), which didn't make the final cut in the "Continuing the Adventure" section of the book:

Fish Out of Water
The most recent Claremont arrival is a Mid-Western kid who was recruited after saving the lives of over a dozen people following a boating accident, demonstrating superhuman strength and the ability to breath underwater. But he doesn't adjust well to life at Claremont, spending much of his time alone, going into Freedom City to walk the shore. One weekend, the heroes are alerted the Elysian's “Convertible” vehicle was spotted traveling towards the city's boardwalk, near the spot where the new arrival usual lingers. Correctly thinking the Alphas will try “recruiting” him by heavy handed methods, the heroes rush out to support their wayward classmate.

Unfortunately, the new arrival is Billy Wakeland, AKA the Harbinger of the Far-Tide (see Rogues Gallery). Billy is not aware of his heritage, but is in fact the prophesied messiah of the Deep Ones, a degenerate aquatic race who worship heinous elder gods. His powers are awakening, and any clash between the heroes and Alpha team pushes Billy's transformation further. Soon both team face a VERY dangerous opponent! the PCs can still talk Wakeland down, but if the Alphas continue going at him, the heroes may need to save them from the Harbinger's wrath!.

Let the Games Begin!
Unknown to all concerned, very powerful entities observed the mental and physical skirmishes contests between Claremont and Elysian, and found the events rather amusing. Perhaps the cosmic reality-show programmer TUN selects both teams as the new stars of its latest bread-and-circuses production, abducting them to the sentient, extraterrestrial city X-Isle, where they must engage in dangerous competitions to earn “valuable prizes”, such as travel back to Earth. To further up the ante, a “special guest star” is brought in by TUN (Cheat Code, Orion, or even the Huntsman) making the game more lethal.

Or maybe Eris (Goddess of Chaos) and her mirror-image sister Harmonia make a divine wager, to be settled with the heroes and Alpha Group as their proxies. The competitors are forced through Olympian trials, a modern-day Labors of Heracles. The team succeeding in the most tasks earn victory-and a goddess' favor (as a twist, have Eris select the heroes as her champions; they really should take a dive to prevent Eris from gaining whatever prize is wagered, but the Alphas may not give them that choice-and if they sabotage the competition, BOTH goddesses have a grudge with them...

These types of scenarios may be straightforwardly adversarial, but could also incorporate role-playing dynamics; the more ruthless Elysian students having an edge, but soon losing ground to the heroes, who cooperate and back each other up. Ultimately, you should contrive circumstances so the teams must band together to overcome their captors and get back home.

The Outsiders
The young heroes are entrusted with a mission of special outreach: the Claremont administrators have learned through backchannels that a close-knit group of superhuman teens have been convinced to join the ranks of yet another school, this one located in the Midwest or Southeast .Unlike Claremont or Elysium, this institution promotes isolationism and superhuman elitism( perhaps only accepting certain types of students, such as extraterrestrial heritage, magically-powered, mutants) into their ranks). While not a training ground for future super-villains, their educational philosophy is controversial to say the least. The characters are tasked with persuading the group that they will enjoy a better future at the Freedom City school, even if they have no intention of becoming superheroes. However, the Labyrinth is likewise aware of this development, and dispatches their Alphas to recruit them for Elysium instead, providing them with lavish resources to do so.

The group themselves have been living on the fringes of society for awhile, perhaps even on the run from authorities (the Upstarts from Super-Team Handbook, the Starblights from Rogues Gallery, or the Shadowborn from the M&M Patreon); they're reluctant to talk, wary of others, and welcome the opportunity for a save haven from their hand-to-mouth existences. Winning them over will be no easy feat, especially with their Elysian counterparts employing dirty tactics.