Shadowmask

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers IC

Post by Shadowmask »

OOC: Helen will be there soon.😶
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Tony Jones wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:39 pm
Neo-Paladin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:18 pm So, what's your plan, folks?
"Well," says Khemis. "How about this? We have an abandoned apartment with a view of the meeting place. You two go in as normal people through the front door of the building. I go in invisibly and let you into the apartment. Then watch, wait, Deborah does her thing, and hopefully we find out lots of interesting information with no one on their side any the wiser. What do you reckon? I think I could make you both invisible with me if necessary, though if you can do your thing without us having to expose ourselves that would probably be best..."
OOC wrote: Would it be possible for Khemis was to Power Stunt her Invisibility to:
  • Concealment - 4 (All Vision), Blending, Passive, Affects Others, Distracting
This is something she would have practiced before the meeting so she knows if it's possible, even if it is a Fatiguing effort.
"Err... how would you go about doing that? I thought the reason you could blend into shadows was due to your body being near-vantablack and distorting flight with your skin. Have you been practicing how to bend light beyond the limits of your skin?" Sunny wondered aloud, considering the possibilities about what this apparent capability meant for how their little group's strangest-looking members' abilities worked. While Sunny, Deborah, Charger and Al all had powers that were conventional by comic-standards (meaning Sunny somewhat knew what to expect), Khemis' were too strange to predict the full magnitude of.

"Also, do we have to be there in person? We know there's an empty balcony with good sight-lines on the yard they're having their meeting in. We could grab some cellphones, borrow Deborah's little tripods, and set up a camera to spy on them. We can then watch them from a few blocks away, recording them, and if we need Deborah to mind-read someone afterwards, we can follow them when their meeting is done. I'd rather not risk them spotting us spying on them in person if your pseudo-invisibility field doesn't work as well as we hope... Or if one of you sneezes because of the cold winds."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"Yes I have," nods Khemis. "I can now make things I can touch invisible as well. Though I have to concentrate, it feels weird, and it's quite tiring..."

"And I think we absolutely need to be there in person. If this guy only shows himself infrequently - or comes in and out using some means we can't follow - like a teleporter maybe? - we might lose our chance to learn all kinds of useful information. Hopefully what the government - or his part of it - are up to. What they want with Sunstormers. What they already doing with Sunstormers maybe. It would be optimistic to think Albert is the first person they're observing like this."

"Although Deborah, you're the person in the front line of all of this. What do you want to do?"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Curse the universe for putting me in this situation," Deborah says. "I understand your desire for safety. But, we need information badly. It's worth the risk, I think, to be there in person. The big question I have is why is the meeting place in this back alley. Is there something special about it? Khemis, you said you checked it out. Can you think of anything that makes this alley better than any other alley?"
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

"Fine." Sunny gave in. "But if they notice us and start shooting, don't say I didn't tell you both this might happen... Though you're right. It is an odd place for a clandestine rendezvous."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

OOC: Did Khemis spot anything that made the location better than anywhere else? Is it simply that it's very private? Or would it work well as a trap? Maybe for nosy Sunstormers?
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

It's private, that seems to be the main reason. It's not particularly useful as a trap, though.
It's a backyard, not an alley, though ;)
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis passes this on to Deborah and Sunny of course...
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"So, shall we go?" suggests Khemis.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

So, after a few minutes, you arrive at the location of the meeting, taking position...(where?)
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

OOC wrote: We've found an abandoned apartment with a view of the meeting place. Deborah and Sunny go in in disguise as normal people through the front door of the building. Khemis goes in invisibly, then into the apartment and lets them in. Then we watch from cover in the apartment and wait.

Khemis has been keeping Charger informed of what's going on as well, so if she wanted to get involved the option is open...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

And so you wait...
Stakeouts are a horrible exercise in patience. Waiting for something to happen and at the same time unable to take your attention away from the nothing that is currently happening, for you might miss something crucial.
No distraction, nothing to keep the brain busy and the mind at ease.
So, it is with no small amount of elation that you notice someone enter the backyard after a seeming eternity (actually only one hour). A man in a simple business suit, slightly older, who makes his way to a bench and sits down...
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Deborah takes a look at the man and attempts to slip into his mind.

Cumulative Effortless Mind Reading 7 - Extras: Cumulative, Effortless, Subtle 2: Will DC 17
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Deborah slips into his mind undetected, to be confronted by quite a jumble. The man seems to have some troubles organizing his thoughts lately...
He is indeed Timothy McMillan and is working for the NSA as some sort of special liaison with the military, a position that does not officially exist.
He is 47 and in the closet, thinking that coming out as gay would have negative repercussions.

He's also a Sunstormer.

Apparently, he collapsed at home during some time off and was not found by anyone, allowing him to keep his condition a secret.
But ever since then, each night he is beset by visions of the future, visions that seem to always come true. At the moment, he has not been able to control them and they haunt his every waking moment, only an intense mental effort keeping him functioning.

Looking through all of them will take some time but one is foremost in his mind and has been for some time and thus, Deborah sees it immediately...

A street. Sirens wail. there is a fiery glow in the distance and the sound of gunfire. Several people, among them some policemen, hold a man at gunpoint...until he begins to rise into the air, borne aloft by arcs of lightning...and then unleashes a series of devastating lightning bolts onto the street which render the remaining cars and the officers into ash within the span of a heartbeat.
That man is Albert Jun.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Neo-Paladin wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:02 amcrucial.
No distraction, nothing to keep the brain busy and the mind at ease.
As ever when such a time is upon her, Khemis falls back onto her memorisation of the Holy Quran, thinking through the verses that give her the most comfort...

----
Neo-Paladin wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:08 pm That man is Albert Jun.
"Oh dear!" whispers Khemis to the others as Deborah describes what she sees. "Is he seeing the future, or is he predicting the worst and making a self-fulfilling prophesy by persecuting those who would otherwise not cause any trouble?"

"Does he know how far ahead this thing is meant to happen? And can you fund any other visions of his we could compare to real events? Also passwords and that sort of thing?"