[MM3]Sunstormers IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers IC

Post by jmucchiello »

"That was great," Deborah said. "Yeah, um, I do pretty well with social media. But I didn't start with nothing. My mother is a corporate lawyer and my father works in finance. But I pay the mortgage on this place from my own work and employee several employees. I doubt you follow my channels on beauty and fashion but I could show you the room where I do my filming if you were interested. Don't feel obligated to stay but I really want to get out of the cold. I might wait until Spring at least to ask you for another flight." She pulls out her phone, "Do you have my number?"
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

"Only time I ever wore make-up was for stage plays as a child," Sunny mumbled, mind flashing back to memories of younger days, remembering how he would fidget as his mother applied the makeup to his face so he could perform. "But yeah, inside is good. Like I said earlier: temperature tonight's below freezing and the wind'll make it feel sub-zero, though we're on the building's lee side right now. After you?"

"Oh, and, uh, no, I don't. Gimme a sec," Sunny said when Deborah took out her phone, unzipping his jacket half-way so he could grab his phone from the inside pocket (where it wouldn't slip out while flying) and pulling off a glove to use the touch-screen. "Okay, shoot."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

She stamps her feet on the terrace floor before saying, "Inside." Opening the sliding door to the terrace, she enters her living room. Once inside she rattles off her phone number as she removes her heavy coat. She's wearing a heavy sweater underneath and skinny jeans. Leaning against a wall she pulls off her boots. They are far more functional than fashionable. She is wearing white socks. "Don't worry about tracking snow on the flooring."

Her living room is decorated with a modern touch but there are a few wooden pieces and an overstuffed chair that break it out of being purely modern. A large TV sits over a fireplace mantle. The wall they entered through is a floor to ceiling window that runs the length of the room. "So this is the living room. You can see the kitchen over there. Would you like some coffee? Down that hall are two bedrooms and the other way is the front door and my home studio."
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Sunny glanced down - no snow on his shoes after flying around, they were just a bit damp. He stamped them anyways, slipping them off with practiced ease: it felt strange to be in a "home" with his shoes on. The real issue was the fact that his gloves were still sticky after trying his best to keep Swea—Albert from bleeding out. Sunny stuffed them into a jacket pocket as he shrugged out of that as well, entering Deborah's number as a new contact: "Deborah J. Grey".

"Sure, coffee is fine," he accepted the offer. Sunny wasn't much of a coffee-drinker. Nor tea. But something told him that Deborah was asking because she needed a cup of joe herself and offered out of politeness, so refusing might be rude. While Deborah walked into her kitchen, Sunny tapped at his new phone contact and sent her a text so she'd have his number.

>> Hi. :)
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Deborah decides not to rattle off all the possible coffees she next to her Kuerig. "I also have hot chocolate," she says holding up the k-cup box. "You can leave your shoes by the sliding door." She picks up her phone and quickly type back, <Hi>.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

"Hot chocolate is better," Sunny said, a small smile crossing his face. Leaving his shoes by the terrace door and his coat slung over the back of a chair, Sunny found himself waiting quietly as the Keurig did it's rather-noisy work. He wasn't really sure what to say at this point - small talk? After the day they'd had?

No harm in trying. "So... you're an influencer, right? If you don't mind me asking, how does that work?" Sunny asked, a little curious about it considering he was essentially a ghost on social media - closest he got to "engaging in social media" was lurking on fandom-Reddits, occasionally liking a colleague's LinkedIn posts, and subscribing to a few geeky and nerdy YouTube channels. He wasn't sure if any of that even counted, really.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"If I knew that, I'd be rich," Deborah says with a laugh. As she continues, she hands him the cup of hot chocolate and makes her own cup of coffee, French roast. "There are two kinds of people who become influencers. Those who seek validation and fame and those who want to share. I like to think I'm among the latter group. Some will say the job of the influencer is to be a trendsetter. But that's not maintainable. Fads come and go. And the people at the front of fads are quickly forgotten when the fad fades. The real job of the influencer is keep people informed. And the way to be good at influencing is to be interesting and entertaining. You can only make so many videos about good ways to apply lip gloss. And it's hard to make those entertaining. That's why I try to do interviews with fashion designers and other beauty industry folks. I feel it's more interesting than the latest trends in eye liner shapes."

She picks up her cup. "If you want to see the production room, it's just down that corridor. Or we can just stay here. I really don't want to bore you as I doubt you are really interested in makeup and hairstyling or the current length of skirts in Milan."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

((Now you get Khemis' message))
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

(OOC: I already said Deborah phone vibrated while they were flying. But we can have her finally look at her phone.)

Deborah glances at her phone and notices there's a message waiting.
Tony Jones wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:37 am *Victim safely arrived at [name of hospital]. Where are you? I'll come back and join you. Or take a lift if one is available! :)*
"Oh a message from Khemis, He made it to the hospital." She texts back. *I'm home. Do you want to stop by?* She puts her address and appt# in the text. "She wants to talk about the earlier events. I invited her to come here. I had hoped she would stop by for an interview before the crazy events of today so having her walk in the front door isn't an issue."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

*OK, yes, I'll come over, thanks,* Khemis texts back. *I should be there in about [about as long as she thinks it'll take to get there from the hospital].*

And she begins to make her way across Chicago towards Deborah's apartment, running across the rooftops and jumping from building to building until she arrives at Deborah's building, and pushes the button on the intercom...
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

"It seems like a complicated profession. A lot more involved than what the average person expects, huh?" Sunny mused. He certainly couldn't see himself doing it, even though he recognized that people-skills like that would be incredibly useful for being a superhero. After all, saving the day meant little if the people in trouble couldn't trust you to save them, nor have faith that their trust in you isn't misplaced. Smirking a little, Sunny joked, "But no, I can't say I'm that familiar with the fashion world. Honestly, I don't think I've changed my style in... 10 years? I just found what I liked and stuck with it."

And then the message from Khemis came in. That was... troublesome. And, for some reason, mildly annoying. Was it wise to have Khemis show up at Deborah's apartment right now? Especially after all that had just happened today? What had happened less than an hour ago? This was an upscale apartment in a modern building catering to people of wealth and means - while Sunny hadn't walked through the front door, he could guess there would be security cameras installed in the lobby and near the elevators, and Khemis was... distinctive.

"Remind Khemis to come in disguise." Sunny advised. "You're trying to maintain a secret identity, aren't you? Even if you had plans to interview her for your... channel(?), it's nearing 11 o'clock and I highly doubt it's normal for you to have unscheduled, private interviews in your home this late in the night. You should probably double-check with Khemis if she's disguised right now, if only to avoid raising suspicions about your own identity if someone notices."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"You're right, good catch." Deborah texts back Khemis about trying to disguise herself if she can. "Unfortunately she has to enter through the front door as she can't drop in on my terrace like you can."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

*OK,* replies Khemis. *I'll be there a bit later than I said.*

She does indeed disguise herself in the all-concealing burqa she has bought for such occasions and so disguised steps out of the darkness around the corner from Deborah's building and walks across to the entrance before calling Deborah on the intercom.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Deborah shows Sunny the production room while they wait for Khemis. She keeps what she talks about technical rather than fashion-related. This is an interior room with no windows, technically a storage area. Cameras, lighting rigs, microphones are all in the room pointed at what almost looks like a news desk. But there is also what looks like a barber's chair and sink in a corner, two makeup vanities with large lighted mirror, and a corner of the room has a desktop computer with video and audio editing equipment attached to it. Another corner has a folding room divider with a clothing rack next to it. "One of the real issues with being an influencer is all the hats you have to wear. Creating content requires, research, video editing, marketing, writing, performing on camera, and host of other skills unrelated to whatever expertise you think you are bring to the world. I have the benefit of having people who are good at the stuff I'm not good at work for me."

A bell chimes and she says, "That must be Khemis." She goes to the front door and hits the intercom, "Hello?" When Khemis replies, she buzzes her in. She does wonder where the night guard is. But it isn't unusual for him to be patrolling and leaving the door in intercom mode.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis makes her way in, over to the lifts, up to Deborah's floor and along to her apartment where she knocks on the door.

She really is fully covered by the burqa she is wearing...