[MM3]Sunstormers IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Neo-Paladin

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers IC

Post by Neo-Paladin »

" It's not...teleportation. I...can't leave without...doing the same thing again", Albert says apologetically. " I haven't had any training in this...kind of ability. I am...too much for the power lines."
He sighs. " Also...it really hurts."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"I am sorry if it causes you pain; this is something you should probably practise under more controlled conditions," says Khemis seriously. "But my ability to help you will be seriously compromised if I am outed as a Sunstormer by your essentially making a big arrow pointing at my home! Please do as I ask."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

He blinks. " Isn't it obvious what you are? I mean...you look like a living shadow!"
Swallowing and taking a deep breath, he steps towards the nearest power outlet.
" I'd switch everything off if I were you. And you should also turn...around. I don't want to fry your quilt..."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"I do, but there are ways around that," she replies, turning around. "Thank you for the warning; everything is already off!"
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

He nods...the scent of ozone becomes stronger again and from behind Khemis, a distorted scream echoes across the room, followed by blue sparks...then silence.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis
Hero Points: 3; Current Condition: Fine

Khemis puts her head around the door. "Unplug everything everyone!" she tells her flatmates. "He'll be back again in a minute. I hope!"

She lifts a bathrobe off the back of her door and puts it close to where Albert just appeared, as something probably more practical than wrapping himself in a quilt.

Then she pull out her phone and, if there is a signal (hopefully the cell tower was not along Albert's route!), quickly texts Deborah, Sunny and Charger.

*Albert Jun is at my home! Says he's being watched. Followed. Didn't know where else to turn. Trying to calm him down and break his trail. More later!*
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

A few minutes pass.... before a blinding blue-white flash signals his return!
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Deborah texts, <<😲😲😲Followed/watched by whom? Can he stay with u?>>
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis

*Don't know. Will ask when he returns!* Khemis texts back to Deborah. *Maybe. Worried about his electrical trail but can't do much more...*

--

"Ya Alhamd lilah!" (Oh thank God!) mutters Khemis as Albert reappears in her room.

"Thank you for that," she tells him. "And I am sorry for asking you to do it. There is a bathrobe there," she continues, pointing.

"Would like something to drink? Then you can tell me about who is watching and following you."

If he puts on the robe and agrees, she leads him out of her room and into the living room/kitchen/dining area, where her friends are gathered around a camping stove brewing coffee by candlelight with a slightly resigned air.

They giggle for a moment as the normally entirely staid and chaste Karima leads a near-naked man from her room. She gives them a Look. "Coffee?" she asks.

"Never thought you had it in you!" grins Astrid.

"He needs my help!" protests Khemis, embarrassed.

"That's what they all says!" grins Maria. "But here you go!"

She pushes mugs of coffee across to Khemis and Albert.

"Thank you," replies Khemis. "This is Albert Jun. He was shot three weeks ago, maybe for being a Sunstormer with electrical powers. Including teleporting through the wiring without his clothes! Now tell us everything Albert!"

She and the others look hopefully at Albert. Astrid (a law student) and Maria (a journalism student like Karima) both have pens and notebooks at the ready, though Khemis does not.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Albert takes a sip of the coffe.
" Thank you." He looks a bit warily at Khemis' roommates, but then comes to the conclusion that they must be alright, given that Khemis trusts them.
" It started shortly after I got back home. Someone began pushing notes under my door. Threats. Calling me 'Stormer Scum', all that nonsense. Cops couldn't find anything. Weren't that helpful, either, maybe with one or two exceptions. In fact...there was this one officer who told me to maybe contact you about it. He seemed to know what you were about. But...I don't know why I didn't, to be honest. I was still pretty out of it. The painkillers made my powers act strange, but without them, I could barely move."
He takes another, longer sip of coffee.
" The notes stopped. But...I could tell I was being watched. There were cars parked in front of my building day and night. Always different, but the same kind of people in them. Tall, burly. Even the women. I...I barely went out after I noticed them. But the one time I did, one of them followed me. I did my best to lose them, but it was no use. That's when I decided I needed to see you. I'm terrified. I tried my best to stay inconspicuous, you know? Just wanted to live my life and use my powers for nothing bigger than maybe switching on my laptop from across the room. I don't have what it takes to be a superhero...or villain. So, why would anyone be after me?"
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis
Neo-Paladin wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:45 am "It started shortly after I got back home. Someone began pushing notes under my door. Threats. Calling me 'Stormer Scum', all that nonsense. Cops couldn't find anything. Weren't that helpful, either, maybe with one or two exceptions. In fact...there was this one officer who told me to maybe contact you about it. He seemed to know what you were about. But...I don't know why I didn't, to be honest. I was still pretty out of it. The painkillers made my powers act strange, but without them, I could barely move."
"A lot of the CPD do seem to have a problem with Sunstormers," comments Khemis. "Like they do with minorities of all kinds, really. Which is a systemic failure on their part. But that's not what we're talking about right now..."
Neo-Paladin wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:45 am "The notes stopped. But...I could tell I was being watched. There were cars parked in front of my building day and night. Always different, but the same kind of people in them. Tall, burly. Even the women. I...I barely went out after I noticed them. But the one time I did, one of them followed me. I did my best to lose them, but it was no use. That's when I decided I needed to see you. I'm terrified. I tried my best to stay inconspicuous, you know? Just wanted to live my life and use my powers for nothing bigger than maybe switching on my laptop from across the room. I don't have what it takes to be a superhero...or villain. So, why would anyone be after me?"
"Do you have any of the notes that were left? And did you get the license plates of any of the cars you saw?" she asks. "Maybe we could track them down that way? And sic some lawyers and bad press on them..."

"There might be a harassment lawsuit there if we can find out who they are to serve them," chips in Astrid enthusiastically. "That stuff with the ACLU and the other groups, and the ADA, that you were talking about might get its first outing in court..."

"And might you have accidentally outed yourself to them by teleporting here in the way you did?" asks Khemis. "At the moment I don't know how many people know you are actually a Sunstormer rather than just suspecting it. Where did you teleport from? Was it from inside your home?"

"As for why anyone might be after you, unfortunately I think there are people out there now who do not see us as people any more, just a set of powers that can be weaponised. Or a threat to be destroyed. Who aren't willing to take 'no' for an answer. They might be after all the people they suspect of being Sunstormers, people who publicly posted about their being in a three day coma. That kind of thing."

"Oh yes, you haven't seen this woman have you?" asks Khemis, showing Albert the sketch of Nemesis.

"Just let me keep the others informed..."

----

She texts a quick summary of what Albert has said to Deborah, Sunny and Charger, updating as the conversation proceeds. *Would it possible for one of you to go by Albert's place?* she asks. *See if we can get any idea who these people are? Maybe a license plate or two?*
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Tony Jones wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:18 pm

"A lot of the CPD do seem to have a problem with Sunstormers," comments Khemis. "Like they do with minorities of all kinds, really. Which is a systemic failure on their part. But that's not what we're talking about right now..."

"Do you have any of the notes that were left? And did you get the license plates of any of the cars you saw?" she asks. "Maybe we could track them down that way? And sic some lawyers and bad press on them..."

"There might be a harassment lawsuit there if we can find out who they are to serve them," chips in Astrid enthusiastically. "That stuff with the ACLU and the other groups, and the ADA, that you were talking about might get its first outing in court..."

"And might you have accidentally outed yourself to them by teleporting here in the way you did?" asks Khemis. "At the moment I don't know how many people know you are actually a Sunstormer rather than just suspecting it. Where did you teleport from? Was it from inside your home?"

"As for why anyone might be after you, unfortunately I think there are people out there now who do not see us as people any more, just a set of powers that can be weaponised. Or a threat to be destroyed. Who aren't willing to take 'no' for an answer. They might be after all the people they suspect of being Sunstormers, people who publicly posted about their being in a three day coma. That kind of thing."

"Oh yes, you haven't seen this woman have you?" asks Khemis, showing Albert the sketch of Nemesis.

"Just let me keep the others informed..."

----

She texts a quick summary of what Albert has said to Deborah, Sunny and Charger, updating as the conversation proceeds. *Would it possible for one of you to go by Albert's place?* she asks. *See if we can get any idea who these people are? Maybe a license plate or two?*
" I have kept one note, the others I disposed of", Albert says. " Obvious, it's still in my place. I can't take anything with me, it seems. Though...my pain is gone." He frowns, reaches under the bathrobe...and gasps. " The wound is gone! As if it had never happened!"
He takes a moment to let it sink in. " Wow...I would dance right now...but I am only wearing your bathrobe, so...yeah, raincheck on that. Wonder if a quick-dive into the grid will also help next time I catch a cold..."
He drinks up.
" Anyway, back on track...I did jot down their license plates after the first few days, yes. But, unfortunately...also in my place. And yes. I went into the grid at home. Honestly, it was the first time and it was more...instinct than anything else."
When presented with the image, Jun shakes his head. " Never seen her in person. There are a couple of images of her on the net, though..."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis
Neo-Paladin wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:01 am "I have kept one note, the others I disposed of", Albert says. " Obvious, it's still in my place. I can't take anything with me, it seems. Though...my pain is gone." He frowns, reaches under the bathrobe...and gasps. " The wound is gone! As if it had never happened!"
He takes a moment to let it sink in. " Wow...I would dance right now...but I am only wearing your bathrobe, so...yeah, raincheck on that. Wonder if a quick-dive into the grid will also help next time I catch a cold..."
"Thank you for not dancing," Khemis tells him dryly. "But it is good news that you are healed now! Hopefully you won't need it again, but a healing teleport sounds like a pretty useful power to me. Or is the electricity healing you without teleporting?"

"It's probably worth you experimenting with your powers. Learning about them. Even if never intend to use them being able to know what you could do will help you avoid accidents. But do it somewhere isolated!"
Neo-Paladin wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:01 am "Anyway, back on track...I did jot down their license plates after the first few days, yes. But, unfortunately...also in my place. And yes. I went into the grid at home. Honestly, it was the first time and it was more...instinct than anything else."
"Well, perhaps we can sneak into your place and retrieve them without them noticing?" suggests Khemis. "That might be a good place to start. If that would be OK of course?"
Neo-Paladin wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:01 am When presented with the image, Jun shakes his head. "Never seen her in person. There are a couple of images of her on the net, though..."
"Yes, that was me," comments Khemis. "Ah well, worth a try!"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Reading the texts Khemis is sending. Deborah sends to the group. <<Does he have a hide-a-key or would breaking in be necessary?>>

<<It's probably not a good idea for either of you to head back to his place tonight. Sunny, Charger, are you interested in a bit of lawful B&E?>>

<<Khemis, if they do go in, where did he put these papers?>>

Deborah floats out of her apartment and circles the building to the side where she knows Albert's home is. Is the destruction visible from where she is on the shore? Once she thinks she can see his house and make the determination, she immediately floats back to her balcony. (Owning the side of the building facing the lake means it would be very difficult for anyone to happen to be looking for her in the air so many stories up.)
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Jun nods. " Yeah...probably best. Though I need a grid to move like this. The rest...it's weird, I seem to generate energy from nowhere. It's not a Black Lightning thing where he needs to draw his power from somewhere. I could...conjure up a lightning bolt in the middle of the desert." It's obvious he is glad to be able to really talk to someone about his powers for once.
When she suggests going into his place, he nods. " Sure. I also need fresh clothes. And my wallet and credit card are still in my other set of pants."