[MM3]Sunstormers IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers IC

Post by jmucchiello »

"We don't have to make any life changing decisions tonight," Deborah says. "There's still some time. I would prefer not to reveal my abilities to the world. Your analysis matches my own. I'm taking a chance at being labeled a sympathizer and I'd like to believe I would do this even if I didn't have powers."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Jun had a few friends online and they were worried when he fell into a coma. After the whole Sunstormer thing became public knowledge, he disappeared from social media completely.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

kenmadragon wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:17 pm "Unfortunately, I think you're the only one who has no option about that. Your abilities would make maintaining a secret identity impossible. Especially since you've been posting your experiences as a Sunstormer online..." Sunny pointed out the obvious. "Deborah and I still have a chance to keep our identities secret."
"Well I am trying to maintain a secret identity. Though it has its issues as you can see," says Khemis, indicating the burqa. "I haven't worked out how to continue things I was doing in my previous life yet, though, like completing my degree. Maybe I can finish it online?"
kenmadragon wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:17 pm He looked to the redhead, brows furrowed in thought. "Your identity has to stay secret far more than the rest of us. You're a far more public figure than the rest of us, Sunstormer or no. That you're a telepath only makes things worse - the public would be more willing to turn on you merely for being able to read someone's thoughts, and the less said about what people in power would do to make you work for them exclusively, the better."
"Work for them or - I'm sorry to say - eliminate you as a threat to their dirty secrets," comments Khemis. "So yes, I think you really need to keep things on the down low."
kenmadragon wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:17 pm "I don't really trust D.C. politics to keep from meddling in our lives if we try to work closely with government agencies. Sunstormers like myself and Deborah on government payroll, forced to obey any orders those commanding-officers give? They'd leap for the chance. Even in the best case scenarios, if we work directly with the government or law enforcement, we lose the option of having a secret identity." Sunny sighed.
"Yes, maybe just offering our services as ... independent consultants? ... might be a better idea? Let us keep channels of communication open without compromising our civilian identities?"
jmucchiello wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:47 am "I'm taking a chance at being labeled a sympathizer and I'd like to believe I would do this even if I didn't have powers."
"Thank you," says Khemis. "I agree that we need people on our side, in general and in power. Otherwise we run the risk of being 'othered', and then the risk of legal action, Sunstormer vs normal conflict and even violence. Though given Albert tonight we may already be too late for that last bit..."

"Although it's not why I've been doing it, if my public actions and online activities can help with building support then that is a bonus."

"And look at this," she continues, holding up her phone. "Albert's being in a coma was broadcast on social media. If there are people searching for posts like that they could be compiling a hit list. I hope you guys and Charger don't have any posts like that?"

"Warning people about that sounds like useful info we can get out there like you were saying, Deborah."
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

7:12 AM:

(https://youtu.be/NztyNBpO6x4)

"Y-y-y-yeah, y-y-y-yeah, y-y-y-yeah, y-y-y-yeah
T-t-t-totally dude!!!!
Party like a rock!
Party like a rockstar!
Party like a rock!
Party like a rockstar!
Party like a rock!
Party like a rockstar!
Party like a rockstar!
T-t-t-totally dude!!!!"

Helen and the partner who got on the duty roster today were screaming at the top of their lungs as the police car cruised along the busy street, the music blaring on the dvd player.

Regulations stated that loud music wasn't to be played in squad cars while police officers were on duty.

But then again, most cops cared little what their superiors would say if they weren't in the car in the first place.

They both had a blast for several minutes after leaving the police station garage but eventually Helen the driver, reluctantly turned the player off as Dispatch suddenly called in over a two car minor fender bender in a intersection near the Loop.

"Copy that, Dispatch. Heading there right now, over and out."

The cop in the passenger seat, a young Korean-American named Theodore Park looked out the window and was watching the crowds on the sidewalk going about their business.

"The department has been pushing for me to attend a grief counselor yet again."

Helen was unsympathetic as usual. "Next time, start a fistfight in an empty alley with no witnesses around instead of the men's room in the EL."

"Its not my fault, Hel. The jerk was sleeping with my girlfriend."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm pretty sure he deserved the multiple head concussions. As i understand it, the charges were dropped after your girl dumped both of you and ran off with her dentist. My advice: just go to the shrink and get it over with."

"You ever went to grief counseling, Paladino?"

"Only once. The headshrinker tried to seduce me with a blackout drug. I put that B@$!#h in her place and in the hospital with a broken jaw."

Paladino and Park laughed.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"It's been a long day. And I think was all have a lot to think about. Khemis, if you are still interested in recording an interview, call me tomorrow and we can arrange a time to do it," Deborah says. "I need to get some sleep. Thanks for the lift," she says to Sunny. "I'm sure we will see each other again soon."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"OK," nods Khemis. "I'll call you tomorrow. Thank you for the coffee!"

She stands and heads for the door, slipping the hood of her burqa back on before opening the door and stepping out into the hallway and away...
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Sunny gave Khemis a smile and a nod as she left, before turning to gather his coat and pull up his mask and scarf. He looked at Deborah, putting down the empty cup of hot chocolate on his coaster and said, "If you ever need anything, whether you need help with something, or advice on mastering your powers, or even just to talk... Well, just give me a call, anytime, and I'll be there."

It took less than a moment to slip his shoes back on, his hands a blur to lace them up at impossible speeds, before reaching for the sliding door. At the sliding door to Deborah's terrace, he paused. "Tonight might not have been what any of us were expecting, but it was still good to meet you... Stay safe." Sunny gave her a lazy salute of farewell before he became a blur, vaulting over the terrace railings to whoosh away into the night sky.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Once outside the apartment building, Khemis turns a corner, blends into the darkness, and is gone...
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis takes the slow way back her apartment, pondering the events of the evening, and privacy vs saving someone's life, as she goes. Then she sits on a rooftop, pulls out her phone, and composes a text to the police officer she spoke to earlier:
Khemis wrote: *There was a man shot tonight named Albert Jun, deliberately ambushed in his back yard at [his address]. He lived though and was taken to [the hospital]. Looking at his public social media, he seems to have been one of the people who had a three day coma on New Years. And I can't help wondering if he was targetted by some bigot who thought he might be a Sunstormer. And whether they might try again if they learn he's still alive in hospital. Can a guard be arranged for him in case that happens? I would rather this didn't 'out' him if he is a Sunstormer, but I'd rather he was alive and outed than murdered with his secret safe.*

*If anything was posted about your fiance's nephew's coma it might be worth them deleting those messages and being careful too. And if more ambush shootings occur ... or have occurred ... maybe their socials would show if people are being targetted for maybe being Sunstormers?*
She looks at it for a few minutes, then looks away, thinking. Then she turns back again and decisively presses the 'send' button before once more disappearing into the night...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

The next morning arrives without mercy. It is a sunny one, though, with the cloud cover parting at least a bit to let the weak rays of the sun through. To many, a welcome sign that this winter, bitter as it may be, will not last forever....
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Having returned to her apartment Khemis has spent the remainder of the night pondering the way forward, praying, and writing. The most significant thing she puts out there is a warning that even though it has only been a week, there do already seem to be violent anti-Sunstormer bigots out there. And if anyone has posted on social media about being in coma for three days following the Sunstorm, it might be wise to delete those posts in case they can be used to target them.

She also checks whether anyone has come forward with clues as to the identity of the dark woman, or whether the police officer has replied to her text.

And lastly she creates a disposable anonymous email account and sends the photos she took of the bullet used to shoot Albert Jun and the tracks she found going in and out of this back yard, along with what she figured out about the crime, to the police in the hope it will help their investigation along.

As the sky begins to lighten, she performs her first prayer of the day before the Sun rises, then emerges to with a waft of cold air (she has turned off the heating in her room to save money) to make coffee for her roommates...

As the coffee brews, she texts Deborah, asking when would be a good time for the interview she mentioned.

And when she has spent some time with her roommates, and drunk her coffee, she heads out to the Federal Plaza once again to offer her services to the relief effort.
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

ImageImage

"No, sir....Wabash is north, go up seven blocks. This street will be cleared as soon as the tow trucks arrive." Helen said to a passing motorist as she stood in the middle of the street, directing traffic while Park was trying to take the statements from the two morons who thought running a yellow light at the same time and on the same side of the road was the latest trend in being crash test dummies. Of course Park had the unenviable task of calming the drivers down, not an easy thing to do when both parties are yelling at each other and to their insurance companies on their phones all at once. Helen did what she could to establish barriers and place a few flares and detour signs while diverting other vehicles away from the crash site.

Minor fender bender, my a@$.

Idly, Helen concentrated and closed one of her hands into a tight fist and ignored the stares of some pedestrians as she hovered ten feet above the asphalt.

Good. Let them gawk. She didn't care. Apparently she can somehow nullify her mass to almost near weightlessness though she had to be within touching range in order to affect other objects. Maybe people as well.

"Hey, pervs. Take a picture, it'll last longer." she said while smirking behind her mask. She calmed herself down enough to quickly levitate back to the ground before Park and the angry drivers stopped their bickering and noticed a police officer just floated nearby moments before.

Is it possible given her manipulation of gravity; she, perhaps, can generate a black hole? Maybe or maybe not. Although going to Europe or even The Middle East and turning the entire continental region into a huge smoking crater did appeal to her though.

Wow. That definitely would really be totally sick.

But for now that can wait until after work and Helen will have to train to find out her limits.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

The officer has not responded yet, but Khemis has gotten an e-mail from someone who claims to be a nurse in a mental hospital - specificalls Western State Hospital - who has heard one of the patients, the only one in the institution to have fallen into a coma, mumble about a black-clad woman following him.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

OOC: This Western State Hospital? If so, damn, that woman gets about...

Khemis replies to the email asking the alleged nurse to reassure the patient that they are not hallucinating, that the woman they are seeing is real and has been seen by other people in Chicago and Atlanta, and that they do not have to do as she suggests. Unfortunately she has no idea what the dark woman is up to, but she is up to something...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Yes, exactly that one.