[MM3]Sunstormers IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
pathfinderq1

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers IC

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Tony Jones wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:25 pm Then she looks around and walks over to where Vickie and Emily are standing.

"Hello, can I help you?" she asks in her deep and raspy, almost smokers, voice, the mass of shoulder length finger-thick black tentacles that have replaced her hair writhing under her headscarf more than Vickie, at least, has seen them before apart from during the fight with Harold.
Vickie Pulaski (Charger)

Vickie realized very quickly that Khemis was headed towards them, and she shot Emily a brief "look what you did" glare. Then she turned to face Khemis, taking just half a step forward- she had, at least, actually met Khemis however briefly.

As the woman of liquid shadow approached, she would see two young woman, just a little bit younger than she was: a fairly short Asian woman still bundled into her heavy winter coat, her eyes nearly as wide as her glasses, and a taller light-skinned Black girl with close-cropped hair and a calm (if wary) smile, her winter coat was unzipped to display a hooded sweatshirt with a UChicago logo. The taller girl was the first of the pair to speak.

"I'm so sorry, I mean we're sorry for disturbing you. My friend hasn't really seen any Sunstormers who had such a noticeable physical change- and she is a biology student, pre-med, so it seems kind of suss, I guess. I was trying to tell her to keep an open mind, but it's still kind of a shock you know, first contact and all that..."

>OOC: Up close, since Khemis has Eidetic Memory, she would probably remember having seen Vickie working at the plaza before (including yesterday, before things got crazy), but she probably would recognize her from her masked "hero ID".
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"No, it's fine," replies Khemis. "It's not like you are the first person to have that sort of reaction to seeing me for the first time. The first one was me, when I woke up like this!"

She does a slight double take on seeing Vickie. "I think I've seen you here before, volunteering, am I right?" she asks her.

As she talks to Vickie and Emily, the tentacles under her headscarf seem to calm down and return to near-stillness.

"It would certainly be nice to know more about powers work, and from my perspective, my powers in particular! But I'm not too keen on being a lab rat, and even if I was, I think I can be more useful helping out here than anything else right now. Maybe when things calm down there might be time to try and find out more. But I guess we'll just have to see how things go..."

"I was just going to get a coffee," she continues, waving at a nearby coffee cart. "Can I get you something?"
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Emily swallows. " So you didn't...actually experience the change? Were you...hungry when you woke up? How did it...feel? How do you feel right now? Do you know if...your organs are still there?"
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"I did not," says Khemis, shaking her head. "Just woke up after three days like this." She gestures at herself.

"I was not hungry when I woke up," she continues as they walk towards a coffee stall. "It felt ... oddly normal. As I feel now. Physically at least. Mentally was an adjustment. But Allah helped me cope."

"One thing is that I do not seem to feel the cold any more, as you can probably guess from what I'm wearing. And ... I do not seem to need to eat any more food, even though I'm lifting and carrying as you've seen here."

"And I have no idea about my organs! Given how much I can stretch, I'm not sure I have bones. And I did get shot through the head by a gang member, and survived, so I don't know. Not wanting to be a lab rat and spending my time on more constructive things have kept me from finding out any more so far!"

"A large black coffee, please," she tells the vendor.

"Do you want anything," she asks Vickie and Emily.

[OOC: She's leaving out the part where she no longer eats, period. Doesn't want to let too much information out into the wild after all.]
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Vickie Pulaski (Charger)

Vickie hesitated just a bit at Khemis's invitation. "You two go on. I mean, we just got here, so I should do some actual work- even if I can't do as much as you." After a brief moment, she nodded at Emily as well. "You go on too- get some of your questions answered before you burst," she said with a broad smile.

>OOC: Vickie doesn't want to prolong close conversation with Khemis, so as to not risk her secret ID any more than she already has. And I've done what I wnated to with Emily- GM may continue, or wrap up with her as needed. Sorry if this is a bit short- we're having a terrible heatwave here and it is just killing my creative vibes...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

There is more than enough work for Vickie to do, even as a 'mere' human and the moment she seems to intend to volunteer, she gets a box pushed into her hands and told to get it over to one of the stands.

" Another coffee, please", Emily says. " Where do you get your energy? If you do not eat...do you feel like you are...absorbing anything? Maybe light? I mean, you are completely black, you don't reflect any of it back...also...you got shot in the HEAD? How did it feel? Did you fall unconscious? Or experience any mental impediment?"
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

OOC: Khemis has explicitly not said she doesn't eat any more. Just that she doesn't eat any more than she did before. At least, that was her intention, though looking back I can see it could be interpreted either way...
Last edited by Tony Jones on Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

OOC: It's a misunderstanding, then ;)
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

OOC: Fair enough!

"And another coffee," Khemis asks the vendor.

"I don't know where I get my energy!" she continues. "I obviously get it from somewhere, but I don't feel like I'm absorbing it or anything. It might be blasphemous to say that perhaps Allah sustains me now, but I don't have a better explanation..."

"Getting shot in the head is painful! But beyond that, no, and no!"
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

" Wow! So, apparently, your nervous system works differently now...maybe your brain is situated somewhere else in your body?" she takes the coffee and, after a sip, whinces. " Hot! Do you feel heat?"
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"Genuinely no idea!" replies Khemis. "Maybe my brain is somewhere different, maybe it's just tough now, maybe I don't have a brain at all now somehow! I don't know. Allah is mysterious in His ways."

"Thank you!", she says as she hands over some money to the vendor then also takes a longer drink of her coffee, before looking at it consideringly. "I do feel heat. But I think I'm just tougher now," she says. "Like I was able to grab Harold - the murderous flaming guy - yesterday without being hurt. Again, no idea how that works!"

OOC: For the record, Khemis is OK to omit things to give the impression she still eats even when she doesn't as she tried to before, but she can't bring herself to actually lie and say she does still have to, even if that would be useful... I.e. she's OK with lying by omission but not with lying by commission...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Emily sighs. " Given that your...coloration changed, I guess your epidermis is no longer made up of skin cells. Maybe some sort of carbon compound...that would at least still be made of the same stuff as regular organic beings. It would explain your resistance to heat and cold. But then there is the problem of heat exchange...arrrgh! You're like a puzzle with no solution! I really don't want to join those scientists who say it's an outside influence...alien technology or something like that. But all of this is just so impossible!"
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"Once again, no idea how any of my powers work!" replies Khemis with a sympathetic smile.

"But it has only been a week!" she points out, taking a sip of coffee. "And what with the after effects of the Sunstorm, I'd imagine all the scientists in the world haven't exactly been working at full efficiency as well! Apart from to propose theories without any evidence to back them up! But if it happens, it's not impossible, now is it? There's a quote from Richard Feynman I came across while I was looking into all this:
That's where science is right now!"

"As I recall most new phenomena take a while to understand. Sunstormers will probably be the same. Unless some Sunstormers are super-geniuses who could solve this problem overnight I suppose. Maybe you could be in on the ground floor of Sunstormer research?!"
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Emily shakes her head. " I'm pre-med...not even a blip on the radar of any serious researcher. I just have a passion for all things biological. And...thank you for being patient while I needle you with questions. I don't want to get on your nerves..but...you're the first...."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"That's fine!" Khemis tells her. "They are all entirely reasonable questions. I'd like to know the answers to them myself! And better me than someone who might get grumpy about it!"

She finishes her coffee and puts the cup into a bin. "Are you here to volunteer?" she asks Emily. "I can your friend is helping out over there. I should probably get back myself. It was good to meet you!"

And with a wave she heads off back to where she was before Nemesis started talking to her...