[MM3]Sunstormers IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Tony Jones

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers IC

Post by Tony Jones »

"Agreed," replies Khemis over the phone. "She is still here, but watching. So no, I don't think we should abandon the plan, just carry on as we intended."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

OOC: So are we just waiting around until the shift change and the CO turns up so Deborah can read his mind too?
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

//Good question...
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

OOC: Yes, I think that's the plan we're settled on right now.

Sunny grumbled internally. For now, their best shot at learning more about this stalking operation would be to wait for the shit-change... which would involve waiting around, doing absolutely nothing. All the while Khemis was being stalked herself by whatever the hell that thing was.

It wasn't a person, Sunny knew, just the extension of one's power. Idle thinking led Sunny to think about Scrying spells from the TTRPGs he played in college -- that blip of stellar radiation was some kind of telepresence power, he reasoned, one that could create an illusion for communication at some distance. The question was, how did the power operate? Did it project an illusion around the tiny energy-blob that was extended so far and whose thread moved through dimensions unseen, and from which scrying could be achieved to perceive the environment around the blob? Or was that node of energy a focus for a mental hallucination that hijacked the afflicted's senses, creating the "shadow-woman" Khemis had previous complained about -- and reading their mind simultaneously to gain sensory information about their environment and circumstances, allowing the so-called "Nemesis" to act like an omnipresent being? Or one of a dozen other hypothesis he could come up with to explain this mess, none of which Sunny particularly liked.

"Looks like we're gonna have to find someplace comfortable to sit and wait..." Sunny said, annoyed. "As for this 'Nemesis' person, if she truly exists... do your best to ignore her? Maybe she'll get bored waiting around for something to happen, like we will, if you don't engage her?"

Thinking quickly, Sunny leaned over to Deborah's side, covering the phone's mic with his hand so he could whisper, "Don't tell Khemis I could see the energy this 'Nemesis' was giving off. We have no idea how their powers work, and I suspect it might involve a form of telepathy, one far more sinister than your own, and I don't think it's a good idea to let 'Nemesis' know I can see Sunstorm energy and identify that influence if they already have their hooks into Khemis..." If this 'Nemesis' was truly omniscient, she probably knew about his sensory abilities already. But Sunny wasn't so convinced -- more and more he found himself convinced this 'Nemesis' was just a person, and one whose abilities had some kind of limits If so, then keeping his unique sight a secret might just be enough to give them an edge against her.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Deborah whispers back, "Perhaps we need to avoid discussing these things at all out loud. We don't know that there aren't stormers who can see and hear things far away while sitting in their bathrooms, safe from retaliation."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

And so you wait...and wait...and wait...until, finally, someone comes walking down the sideway, a man unmistakably recognizable as another member of this jacked-up special ops unit...
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Sunny was one of the first to notice his arrival. Unable to help himself, he perked up a little at their patience finally paying off. After all, there was only so much he could do to distract himself from fidgeting next to Deborah as the boredom sent his mind a-wandering. Sunny's eyes sharpened, ears canted as he focused his powers on his senses. "He's here," Sunny muttered softly so only Deborah would hear. "Do you want to read is now, or wait till Sinclair's left?"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"I've already started," Deborah said.

(OOC: reminder: Cumulative Effortless Mind Reading 7, Subtle 2. She starts with Sinclair to see if she has any surface thought about her commander (and to verify he is her commander) before switching to the leader.)
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

SInclair respects him as her commanding officer and senior in the service but knows little else about him. Apparently, someone has made sure that no one in their team knew the others before the mission. No idea why.
And yes, this is indeed Ebert.
So, anything in particular you are rummaging around in his mind for?
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

(ooc:
1) to see if knows more than Sinclair about Albert.
2) does he have more details about the "squad" surveilling Albert that Sinclair lacked.
3) who does he report to?
4) did they notice when Sunny came here earlier for clothes?
)
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:06 pm (ooc:
1) to see if knows more than Sinclair about Albert.
2) does he have more details about the "squad" surveilling Albert that Sinclair lacked.
3) who does he report to?
4) did they notice when Sunny came here earlier for clothes?
)
1) He knows pretty much the same as SInclair. That Albert is a Sunstormer with the very dangerous ability to manifest and control electrical impulses.
2) Ohhh yes. Especially that the treatment they all got is far from perfect and that their panic button for additional boosts is detrimental to their health in the extreme. Also, the general lifespan of him or the others has been reduced to a year or so, tops. He knows this, having figured it out on his own (IQ 152), but he is a firm believer in " my country, right or wrong"
3) A man named McMillan. He does not know the guy's rank or whether he is even in the military - he himself suspects either NSA or CIA - but understands McMillan is his superior. You get a mental image of a tall, bald man in his late 40s with a stern expression and surprisingly gentle-seeming green eyes.
4) They did notice someone flying by but didn't make the connection to Albert.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

OOC: Khemis has moved back to her position stuck invisible to the wall nearby.

Does Deborah pick up any contact details, passwords etc. as she rummages through the guy's head?

Is this McMillan chap in Chicago?
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Tony Jones wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:41 am OOC: Khemis has moved back to her position stuck invisible to the wall nearby.

Does Deborah pick up any contact details, passwords etc. as she rummages through the guy's head?

Is this McMillan chap in Chicago?
McMillan is not currently in Chicago, but he is supposed to meet with Ebert in two days.
Well, there are a couple of passworts and military access codes lying around in Ebert's head, but nothing specifically tied to their current op.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Well, that sucks. The treatment given to the team is going to kill them in a year. And Sinclair knows it but the others probably don't," Deborah says. "Unfortunately, he's just as in the dark as to why they need to watch Albert aside from Albert is a stormer. He also doesn't know what agency he's working for. Odd.

"What do we want to do? I don't think we want to confront these people. But, I also don't think we want Albert coming back here. On the other hand, and I hate that I'm saying this. While Albert is here, we know where this group of operatives is. He has a meeting with his boss in two days. It might be worth following this up the chain. But, that is probably far more dangerous than what we are doing now."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

OOC: Is Deborah passing all this on to Khemis?