Hypothetical Marvel/DC Merger: Pick one and why

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Libra X

Re: Hypothetical Marvel/DC Merger: Pick one and why

Post by Libra X »

KEN, I was just taking notes on the various worlds of your DC*Marvel multiverse and it struck me that Earth-M just has to be the scene of an absolutely EPIC rivalry between Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) and Spider-Man (Peter B. Parker) - I really love the mental image that neither has ever been known to speak ill of the other, but every single team-up they’ve worked together has resulted in the pair of them half-killing themselves to live up to their mental image of the other (Spider-Man thinks of Beetle as every inch the rich, successful superhero he WANTS to be, while Ted thinks of Spidey as the SUPERhero to his own mere hero); someone should really put these two together under circumstances where each of them can notice that the other is an Absolute Dork before they kill themselves trying to live up to their mental image of each other.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Libra X wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:55 pmKEN, I was just taking notes on the various worlds of your DC*Marvel multiverse and it struck me that Earth-M just has to be the scene of an absolutely EPIC rivalry between Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) and Spider-Man (Peter B. Parker) - I really love the mental image that neither has ever been known to speak ill of the other, but every single team-up they’ve worked together has resulted in the pair of them half-killing themselves to live up to their mental image of the other (Spider-Man thinks of Beetle as every inch the rich, successful superhero he WANTS to be, while Ted thinks of Spidey as the SUPERhero to his own mere hero); someone should really put these two together under circumstances where each of them can notice that the other is an Absolute Dork before they kill themselves trying to live up to their mental image of each other.
That would be very cool.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

I’m also fond of the notion that, in a DC/Marvel merger The Mighty Thor inherits the role of Thor in the old Whiz Comics (125) story ‘The Olympic Game of the Gods’ (where the SHAZAM elders participate in a challenge with a rival team of Ancients for the privilege of empowering heroes in the Earth realm for the next thousand years): Thor is on the opposing team* and is obliged to endure defeat at the hands of the Big Red Cheese (Who is brought on as a substitute when the SHAZAM team threatens to falter).

I quite enjoy the idea that (off-panel) the Mighty Thor regards his victory over Billy in the much later Marvel Vs DC crossover as FINALLY making honours even between himself and the other Champion of Lightning & Thunder.

Personally I really love the idea of Captain Marvel (Billy Batson) and the Mighty Thor being ‘Thunder Bros’ (not least because this generation’s champion of Shazam played a role in the Thor films) but I also enjoy the notion that Thor would get very, Very Competitive if the scoreboard ever stopped reading 1-1 (I don’t mean he’d pick a fight, just that he’d look for some sporting way to balance the scales - perhaps a Riddle Contest, with the Great Sphinx at Giza as neutral arbitrator?).

I also really love the notion that Thor absolutely will act as Billy’s good-natured Big Brother who occasionally forgets that Billy might actually be more grown up than he is (Also, again, I really love the idea of Thor, the Incredible Hercules and Billy having a very strong ‘Big Brother, middle child, little brother’ relationship, with a hint of the Three Musketeers).
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

Ken, it has just struck me that ‘Multiverse K’ would be an absolutely Perfect setting for a story showing Mr Mxyzptlk visit New York City - probably NYC, Earth M - to pick on Peter B. Parker, having ‘accidentally’ gotten him confused with that other happily-adopted, leap-tall-buildings newshound with the spectacles and fondness for blue & red underwear.

He would, of course, do his Best to roast Spidey for every single similarity between him and Superman (whether coincidental or otherwise) probably by - amongst other things - creating pastiches of Krypto, Supergirl, Bizarro, the Super-Ape et al (and possibly even dragging in the actual Lois Lane after Spidey cries “I’m not Superman! Just ask Lois Lane!” - POP - “He really isn’t Superman, so-“ -POP-) while Spider-Man struggles to cope with the sheer DC madness of it all … right up until the moment he realises that he can FINALLY put a face on the feeling that God is ****ing with him for **** and giggles.

- THWIP -

(Mr Mxyzptlk, mouth webbed shut, wears an expression of silent, comical outrage such as only a living cartoon can conjure while Peter crams a whole lifetime of “Angry at God” into the New York minute he gets before the Cosmic Imp conjures the webbing away and retorts:)

“What a revoltin’ development! I KNOW where a spider gets his webs from and you get most of your ideas from there too! I’m too good for the likes of you and never again will you be blessed with the fun, the frolics and the friendly banter of one MISTER MXYZPTLK!”

- Cosmic Imp OUT, leaving everything except one Peter B. Parker as good as new -

Peter: “I am never, ever gonna wear glasses again.”
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

- BONUS SCENE, from right after Peter swings off into the sunset: CUT TO exterior shot of the Baxter Building, as the Fantastic Four return from their latest mission: they’ve been headed home all the while this story plays out -

“…and we’re back!”

Ben Grimm: “Impossible Man? Go ruin someone else’s day, why don’t cha!”

‘Impossible Man’: “Hey, I only go where I’m appreciated!”
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

On a more serious note, I recently came across a website where various parties were posting their suggested line-ups for a mixed Justice League/Avengers task force - might I please ask if you fellows have any thoughts on that score?

Assuming a field team should be about eight strong and equally divided between DC & Marvel characters, may I please ask which characters you would pick?

Personally, I start with Hawkeye (since he’s the only character to be canonically a member of both teams), Captain America (there’s a reason he was field leader in the canonical JLA/AVENGERS superteam), Martian Manhunter (because he’s a versatile powerhouse who can help bridge the gaps between Avengers & Justice League via telepathy) and Wonder Woman (Legendary warrior, powerhouse and someone we all want to put in a room with Captain America, out of simple curiosity if nothing else).
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

I’ve been trying to read up on the DC & Marvel versions of Earth S (being interested in trying to puzzle out the character & interpersonal dynamics of the Golden Agency) and seeing a picture of the Power Princess costume with a golden sash, as well as learning that her canonical height is 6’8” gives me an amusing mental image of Zarda referring to herself as the Marvel Family’s biggest fan …
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

a little late with this post, but some of the overcrowding can be solved with a generational setting if you want to merge.

But then again, the Merged earth idea is appealing from a roleplaying perpsective. I want the USAvengers, Thor and Supes fighting alongside each other... that sort of thing. But... overcrowding IS a thing... :D
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
act

Post by act »

This is so cool,I would like to do my own take on this
act

Post by act »

how can i do my own take on this?
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Just come up with an idea and post it :)
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
act

Post by act »

Bladewind wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:35 am Just come up with an idea and post it :)
Cool,man,thanks.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Just to be clear - I meant absolutely no sarcasm in that answer.... :D