[MM3]Sunstormers - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers - OOC

Post by jmucchiello »

It's feasible that ID in a leather wallet survived especially if the heat was intense but brief. Although, retrieving a wallet would probably not happen until the autopsy.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Before I write my next post, I'm wondering if Sunny does recognize the face from the sketch. I know he didn't see the same suspicious sight that Khemis did during the events at the Plaza, but is it possible he might have seen it somewhere else, before all this happened? Or would I need to roll Intellect w/ the Eidetic Memory bonus of +5 to see if Sunny remembers or not?
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

No, Sunny definitely does not remember seeing anyone like this at all.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Shadowmask wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:33 pm (OOC: Also it wouldn't make any sense. Why should private citizens have access to such technology (even if it did exist. Thankfully no, otherwise terrorists and other criminals will have a field day.) while the American government including Homeland Security does not?)
Private citizens totally have access to such things, because people have written open source programs based on publicly available mathematics which even with modern supercomputers would take longer than the age of the universe to decrypt by brute force. For example PGP.

It is a problem for democratic governments for exactly the reason that terrorists and criminals can use it. On the other hand it is also a problem for repressive governments in that protects whistle blowers and people campaigning for freedom in such places (e.g. China), so it is very much a double edged sword.

Obviously governments do have access to that level of encryption, but they do not (yet) have the ability to brute force decrypt messages encrypted by other people. Usually they have to resort to things like rubber-hose cryptanalysis, i.e. beating someone until they give you their password...

https://theconversation.com/encryption- ... ally-37806

https://www.accessnow.org/why-encryption-is-important/
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Okay...you know more about this than I do.:)
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

It's an interesting area!

And of course strong encryption is the basis of online, banking, buying stuff from Amazon and all that.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Yes, real encryption is unbreakable. Don't let Hollywood tell you otherwise.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

No it's not. No form of encryption is perfect. Literally any professor who studies computer security will tell you that there is no form of encryption that is truly unbreakable... Just obscenely difficult to break without spending a ton of time, resources, and/or out-of-box thinking in application of the prior.

What's actually of use is the ability to encrypt and decrypt data in a fashion that makes it just so time and resource intensive to break that it's not worth the effort to do so because you're likely to have changed the keys by the time a digital interloper manages to crack the encryption.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to.

Effectively unbreakable is unbreakable enough. My point was the "I'm going to break into this iPhone." 2 second pause. "Done." Is fairy tale-Hollywood bullshit.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Right now, this won't be much of an issue for you anyway. There are bigger fish to fry. Heck, to even attempt to observe every Sunstormer, interested parties would have to know WHO exactly they are. And the mass blackouts and destruction of data during the storm have not made this an easy task.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

By the time it matters, some hyper-brain Sunstormer will have developed better communication technology- or maybe we'll all be Deborah's telepathically controlled slaves and we won't need such simple human technology....

;)
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

I for one welcome our new telepathic overlady!
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

Helen is still sleeping at her apartment around the time of the meeting, happily dreaming of beating rogue Sunstormers within an inch of their lives with her baton.😁
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Her dreams of self flagellation are entirely her own business!
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

LOL