[MM3]Sunstormers - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Shadowmask

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers - OOC

Post by Shadowmask »

Proof of what? That a government sanctioned (and possible if not likely legal) covert op is happening? Unless they violated local laws, have been secretly performing medical experiments on Junebug without his knowledge or consent; or even forcibly prevent him from actually leaving and entering his apartment as he pleases, then any accusation will be dismissed especially if they can manufacture a semi legitimate reason on why they spying on this guy in the first place. All they can say is: "Oops we made a error in mistaken identity and will issue an official apology."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

If they're kidnapping American citizens and experimenting on them without their consent then that's a crime. Having the military operating covertly on American soil is probably a crime.

There is no law against being a Sunstormer or requiring them to register, so discrimination based on that is likely a crime. Or are least worth a highly public day in court.

And of course a person complicit in those crimes would say that kind of thing. That's what oppressors always say!
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Besides, this isn't just a matter of legality. Not in today's day and age. The court of public opinion would pass its own judgement.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Looking a little bit more, I'm pretty sure such things would be breaking at least parts of the 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 14th Amendments to the US Constitution, and maybe parts of the 15th as well. And then as you say there's the court of public opinion...
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Never quote the 4th amendment. It's been gutted by case law for decades now.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

If you can snoop in person AND record the meeting with a camera/microphone or something, that might be best. Whatever you learn by rooting around in their brains helps us directly with planning and information, but if you want to act against them (or even just get some insurance), it would be good to have physical evidence which can be shared/posted online/sent to journalists/etc. Court of public opinion wants things people can actually see, not "my telepathic scan revealed..."

>Edit to add: based on the Merge thread right now, might want to watch for military surveillance drones on overwatch for the meeting, depending on how big a fish the leader-dude is. That might actually be one reason for them to have an outdoor meeting in Chicago in February (Brrr...)
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I assumed we would do both.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

I think that was mentioned, and makes total sense to me...
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:10 am Never quote the 4th amendment. It's been gutted by case law for decades now.
As someone who's not an American all I know is what a quick glance at Wikipedia tells me. But even if it has theoretically been gutted I would have thought it is still a potential string to our bow. One more avenue of attack. Should we need it.
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

Last edited by Shadowmask on Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Tony Jones wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:14 am
jmucchiello wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:10 am Never quote the 4th amendment. It's been gutted by case law for decades now.
As someone who's not an American all I know is what a quick glance at Wikipedia tells me. But even if it has theoretically been gutted I would have thought it is still a potential string to our bow. One more avenue of attack. Should we need it.
You can be compelled to give law enforcement access to your phone/computer password, along with contempt of court charges for non-compliance. If such devices are not part of "secure in your papers" the amendment has no value.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Oh yes, if Khemis uses a camera while invisible, does it work normally?
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Tony Jones wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:19 pm Oh yes, if Khemis uses a camera while invisible, does it work normally?
She can see when invisible, can't she? So the invisibility is "one-way" (somehow).
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

But that might be her eyes and power being part of the same thing. A camera might count differently (though hopefully doesn't!).
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

She can see, which means that light still hits her eyes, it's just not reflected and passes through her. So, yeah, taking into account what Sunstormer powers actually are...yes, she can use the camera.