Ghostbusters Afterlife

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Arkrite

Ghostbusters Afterlife

Post by Arkrite »

Went and saw this one today.
I was pleasantly surprised.

It's different than the last two, it's it's own movie, but I found it entertaining from start to finish.
I can say that going in after seeing the first two movies will help.

I had half expected to dislike a few of the cast members, but they were surprisingly likable and I thought the kids did a great job.

There are a couple of after credits scenes that the old fans should hang around for.

It's just really nice to see a franchise that makes a sequel that shows some some love for the original material for a change. :D
Ken

Re: Ghostbusters Afterlife

Post by Ken »

Arkrite wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:56 am It's just really nice to see a franchise that makes a sequel that shows some some love for the original material for a change. :D
No wonder the critics hate it.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

saw it this afternoon and it really is a love letter to the first 2 films. a very good passing the torch and legacy movie. i think Harold would be proud of it.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:44 pm
Arkrite wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:56 am It's just really nice to see a franchise that makes a sequel that shows some some love for the original material for a change. :D
No wonder the critics hate it.
The critics can all shove off.
I am so sick of everyone nowadays only being able to understand pop culture via parody, memes and deconstruction. Enough already. That's why I also enjoyed Dune so much. There was an earnestness to it. Same with this movie. The kids acted like...like kids. Like how I would have acted if I found an Ecto-1 in a garage somewhere. Rudd's genuine enthusiasm mirrored mine. I don't give two hoots about how " original" the story was. All I wanted was for someone to actually understand the previous films for what they were and building on that without constantly winking at the camera.
You can have wackiness without constantly implying " Yeah, we all know it's just all make believe nonsense, right? RIGHT? RIGHT? GOT IT???"
Yeah, I got it. I am 38. And you do not have to explain the joke to me or to clue me in on how funny and witty you are.
Just let me dream again for 2 hours. That's all I am asking.
Put away the sledgehammers and start building things up again.
But it does seem as if the trend is changing, if this year is any indication. I certainly hope so.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

The original GB films were two of my favourites as a kid so I was a bit worried about Afterlife going into but, and I say this as someone who is in no way an emotional person...I welled up. Not only did it truly honour the originals it was actually a decent movie in it's own right.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Looks like Afterlife just beat 2016 in the domestic box office.
It is still trailing in the international, but regardless I'm terribly amused by this turn of events.