Revised Growth and Shrinking

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Davies

Revised Growth and Shrinking

Post by Davies »

As a result of spending probably too much time thinking about Growth and Shrinking,and being frustrated that buying 1 rank of Shrinking was basically spending 2 points for 1/2 of a point of effect, I finally worked out a variant that more or less satisfies my sense of balance, where the version in my house rules was a quick fix intended to let me get on with building characters. Since I can't do tables here, I posted it at my Google Docs.

And here it is.

Comments and feedback are gratefully welcomed.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
RainOnTheSun

Re: Revised Growth and Shrinking

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I have a couple suggestions. One is that it might be worth marking down the cost of Growth by a bit, maybe just one point per rank, to compensate for needing needing so much room to activate the powers you're buying. The second isn't really about game mechanics, just something that annoys me a bit about M&M Growth: strength increases faster than mass.

Growth 1 going from 6 feet to 9 feet, and Growth 2 going from 9 feet to 15 feet, are about equal, but after that, two ranks of Growth double a character's height, multiply their mass by eight, and multiply their lifting strength by 16. I know it's meant to conform to the game's measurements table, but it's just something that's always bothered me.
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:28 am I have a couple suggestions. One is that it might be worth marking down the cost of Growth by a bit, maybe just one point per rank, to compensate for needing needing so much room to activate the powers you're buying.
... I'm not sure. That would turn Density into a +2 per level extra, as it doesn't need that much space (though it does require a surface able to stand the character's weight.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

The extra weight can be a hindrance, too, but it's less constant. Especially if you're, say, the Vision, who can increase his density and fly. It could make a good complication, though.