Hero's Handbook

A place to store rules updates and changes to existing systems, sourcebooks and modules.
FuzzyBoots

Hero's Handbook

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I don't remember whether I saw this in the Discord, Reddit, or somewhere, but someone had a partial copy of errata lifted from the forums.
  • p. 14, Degrees of Success and Failure - Rolling a result equal to or greater than DC-4 (16 against DC 20) should be one degree of failure; equal or greater than DC-9 should be two degrees of failure (11 against DC 20); and so on. This is to bring DC-5 in line with “adding an additional degree”.
  • p. 35, Battlesuit – note that the Radio sense is Limited to Radar.
  • p. 51, The Rook – The Rook is Power Level 10. Acrobatics should be 3 (+8), not 5. Intimidation should be 5 (+8), not 6. Ranged Combat: Throwing should be 8 (+13), not 10. Stealth should be 9 (+14), not 8. Remove Close Combat: Unarmed, Sleight of Hand, Treatment and Vehicles. Add 7 ranks of the Close Attack Advantage.
  • p. 96, Totem – Stealth skill bonus exceeds power level limits. Rolling Awakened and Predator in combination with Avian or Arthropod produces a total skill bonus that is too high. Additionally, Pachyderm in combination with awakened and Dominating or predator produces an athletics bonus that is too high. #TODO fix this
  • p. 165, Immunity – The final example effect under “5 ranks” should read: “…interaction skills, or a particular Damage effect descriptor (such as bullets, cold…”. There should not be a comma between “effect” and “descriptor”.
  • p. 171, Move Object – Subtle’s cost is a flat +1 or2 points, not the printed +1 point per rank.
  • p. 195, Multiattack – To avoid hitting a target in a Multiple Targets arc, such as a bystander, you need the Selective extra.
  • p. 201, Removable – The flaw is worth -1 point (-2 points for Easily Removable) per 5 total power points of the power's final cost, rounded up, after applying extras and flaws to its effects. A Removable power that costs 96 points is discounted by 20, as is a Removable power that costs 100.
  • p. 224, Vehicles Table – the cost for a Car should be 8, not 10.
  • p. 233, Robot – The Abilities cost should be -22, not -24.
  • p. 233, Giant Robot – Dodge and Parry should both be -8, not -5.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Hero's Handbook - Double-checked against Deluxe Handbook PDF

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Copied and pasted from the forum dump:
--------

Just checked these against my Deluxe Handbook PDF. About half have been addressed.
FuzzyBoots;79601 wrote:Reposting from the thread on the old board:
Flying Cobra
Fling Cobra wrote:p. 40, Martial Artist- Fighting should be 13, not 12.

p. 43, Paragon- Dexterity should be 1, not 3.

p. 46, Shapeshifter- skills should cost 13 points, not 14.
Stealth skill total should only be +8, instead of +10 listed. (Psistrike)
[p40-46 all fixed as suggested]

p. 51, The Rook''s Power Level has been left blank. (Jason Sunday)
The Rook has Fighting 8 and no other traits that would add a bonus to his Fighting Staff attack (Unkind Mirror)

p.97, Effect Description Format. It should say "Extras unique to an effect are in red", instead of ''italics''. [actually orange in the Deluxe book]

Page 119: [sentence removed. It was a necessary line in the DCA Handbook since Move Object was Concentration in that edition, but it is Sustained in all of the other 3e books.]

p. 170 or 172 - either the scaling of Defense adjustments on vehicles is incorrect, or the listed Defense for all non-medium vehicles is incorrect. According to the chart of vehicles on p. 172, the Defense adjustments on p. 170 should be 0, -2, -4, -6, -8, -10.

p. 172, cost for Car should be 8.

p.216, "Bystander" mislabeled "Uh-Huh" (Shadowchaser) [fixed]

p. 181, Ability cost for Robot should be -24. [now -30 which is correct as written] Giant Robot Parry and Dodge should be -8, not -5.

UnkindMirror

Page 44: While it''s not necessarily errata in that it''s wrong, I''ll note that there is no reason at all for the Powerhouse archetype to buy his Shockwave and Groundstrike as a separate array, when they could have simply been made Alternate Effects of his Strength-Damage. It''s wasting nine points for no gain at all.

Page 51: The Rook has Fighting 8 and no other traits that would add a bonus to his Fighting Staff attack; just being Strength-based doesn''t make it fall under Close Combat: Unarmed. [the HeroLab portfolio for Rook has removed his CC:Unarmed and lowered a few other skills to buy up Close Attack 7 Advantage.]

Page 119: "By taking a move action to concentrate you can increase this by +1 Str, changing the effect’s duration to Concentration" It''s unclear to me how that''s supposed to work. Concentration Duration effects require a Standard Action each round to maintain, does the bit about the Move Action supersede that? [I assume that''s a classic ''standing still/hand to temple pose'' with no Movement and Standard Action used to maintain the increased MO rank, but it could be clearer]

Page 119: "You must make Move Object's duration Sustained (+1 cost per rank) before you can make it Continuous." Move Object is already Sustained by default; I guess the statement is true, but essentially meaningless. [Remnant from old Concentration MO from DCA, see above]

Page 139: Shapeable still says nothing about how much volume is necessary to affect any given target. [fixed - 4 cubic ft (vol rank 2) per medium target. No further clarification, but you could assume change in size rank would require an equal change in volume rank.]

Page 143: What constitutes an "arc" for the purpose of Multiattack? Does it have to be a continuous line, how does it work with empty spaces, and spaces that contain objects that aren''t necessarily designated hostile? What about friendlies?

Page 149: Removable; the discount on Ultramarine''s armor should only be 19 points, since the discount is based on total multiples of five, not on dividing the cost by five and rounding.
Either the example is wrong or the method for discount calculation is wrong/unclearly expressed.

Some of these may have been fixed in later printings.
'

Also, some others from further comments:
Page 119 (Page 171 in the Deluxe Handbook): The Subtle Extra on Move Object indicates that it costs "+1 point per rank" but it is a Flat Extra, and is elsewhere referred to as "Flat +1 or 2 points".

I would swear that we've covered this before, but the Battlesuit archetype, in the original and in the Deluxe book, has 13 PP of senses in their Senses 12. The Hero Lab version omits the radio sense to make the points work (presumably counting the Radio Communication as having a Radio sense to modify).

Based on the Basic Heroes Handbook removing the comma, matching the 2E definition, I'm assuming that the following in Immunity had an errant comma added:
5 ranks: alteration effects, sensory Affliction effects, emotion effects, entrapment (grabbing, snares, or bonds), fatigue effects, interaction skills, or a particular Damage effect, descriptor (such as bullets, cold, electricity, falling, fire, magic, radiation, sonic, etc.)
Specifically, it's only Damage effects that should be limited by descriptor here for the 5 PP immunity.

Morogan included updated page numbers as well as noting some places where items were fixed in print (and new errors added):
Morogan wrote:I purchased a hardback copy a few days ago that appears to be the latest version (Copyright 2013-2015) with some revisions not previously mentioned in this thread. Interestingly, I also purchased (today) the PDF from GR which appears to be an older 2013 revision that is likely the one used by JDRook when he made his updates to the thread. I've gone back through all the postings to consolidate/reorganize everything to date and included the additions I have (in red). My apologies for any misattribution or omissions.

Fixes/resolution are in []. Attribution is in (). Additions are preceded by *ADD*. I've also added the newer page numbers in addition to the previous.

p.35 I would swear that we've covered this before, but the Battlesuit archetype, in the original and in the Deluxe book, has 13 PP of senses in their Senses 12. The Hero Lab version omits the radio sense to make the points work. (FuzzyBoots)

p.40: Martial Artist- Fighting should be 13, not 12. (Flying Cobra) [Fixed. (JDRook)]

p.43: Paragon- Dexterity should be 1, not 3. (Flying Cobra) [Fixed. (JDRook)]

p.44: While it's not necessarily errata in that it's wrong, I'll note that there is no reason at all for the Powerhouse archetype to buy his Shockwave and Groundstrike as a separate array, when they could have simply been made Alternate Effects of his Strength-Damage. It's wasting nine points for no gain at all. (UnkindMirror)

p.46: Shapeshifter- skills should cost 13 points, not 14. Stealth skill total should only be +8, instead of +10 listed. (Psistrike) [Fixed. (JDRook)]

p.51: The Rook's Power Level has been left blank. (Jason Sunday) [Fixed in latest hardback. (Morogan)]

p.51: The Rook has Fighting 8 and no other traits that would add a bonus to his Fighting Staff attack; just being Strength-based doesn't make it fall under Close Combat: Unarmed. (Unkind Mirror) [The HeroLab portfolio for Rook has removed his CC:Unarmed and lowered a few other skills to buy up Close Attack 7 Advantage. (JDRook)] [Fixed in latest hardback. (Morogan)]

p.134/160 (old ?) So I've found that while Benefit (Ambidexterity) and Extra Limbs both reference a rule for offhand penalties, no such rule seems to actually exist and to make matters more confusing, Gadget Guides recommends building paired weapons as damage with the Split extra. (fredgerd)

p.149 (old p.97): Effect Description Format. It should say "Extras unique to an effect are in red", instead of 'italics'. [Actually orange in the Deluxe book (JDRook)] [Fixed in latest hardback, but needs a minor edit "...are in colored orange." Either delete "in" or delete "colored". (Morogan)]

p.171 (old p.119): "You must make Move Object’s duration Sustained (+1 cost per rank) before you can make it Continuous." Move Object is already Sustained (Unkind Mirror) [Sentence removed. It was a necessary line in the DCA Handbook since Move Object was Concentration in that edition, but it is Sustained in all of the other 3e books. (JDRook)]

*ADD* p.171 (old p.119): "Continuous: Move Move Object generally..." This duplicated word may have accidentally been added as a result of the previous edit. (Morogan)

p.171 (old p.119): "By taking a move action to concentrate you can increase this by +1 Str, changing the effect’s duration to Concentration" It's unclear to me how that's supposed to work. Concentration Duration effects require a Standard Action each round to maintain, does the bit about the Move Action supersede that? (Unkind Mirror) [I assume that's a classic 'standing still/hand to temple pose' with no Movement and Standard Action used to maintain the increased MO rank, but it could be clearer. (JDRook)]

p.171 (old p.119): Subtle is normally a 1pt (or 2pt) flat extra. Yet in combination with Move Object, Hero's Handbook (page 119) makes it an 1pt/effect's rank extra. Is this just a typo or an intentional exception? (Bothrops) You're right. That should be "Flat +1 or 2 points" at the end. I think they got confused and were thinking "+1 per rank of Subtle", but that's not how they had it listed in other places. (FuzzyBoots) [Fixed in latest hardback. (Morogan)]

p.191 (old p.139): Shapeable still says nothing about how much volume is necessary to affect any given target. (UnkindMirror) [Fixed - 4 cubic ft (vol rank 2) per medium target. No further clarification, but you could assume change in size rank would require an equal change in volume rank. (JDRook)]

p.195 (old p.143): What constitutes an "arc" for the purpose of Multiattack? Does it have to be a continuous line, how does it work with empty spaces, and spaces that contain objects that aren't necessarily designated hostile? What about friendlies? (UnkindMirror) [Latest hardback provides clarification with: "To avoid hitting a target in the arc, such as a bystander, you need the Selective extra." (Morogan)]

p.201 (old p.149): Removable; the discount on Ultramarine's armor should only be 19 points, since the discount is based on total multiples of five, not on dividing the cost by five and rounding. Either the example is wrong or the method for discount calculation is wrong/unclearly expressed. (UnkindMirror) [Latest hardback has: "The flaw is worth -1 point (-2 points for Easily Removable) per 5 total power points of the power's final cost, rounded up, after applying extras and flaws to its effects." Although I think this is worded very awkwardly, I think that the execution of the example is likely the intent of the rule, but it still needs clarification. (Morogan)]

p.222/224 (old p.170/172): Either the scaling of Defense adjustments on vehicles is incorrect, or the listed Defense for all non-medium vehicles is incorrect. According to the chart of vehicles, the Defense adjustments in the Vehicle Size Category Table should be 0, -2, -4, -6, -8, -10. (Flying Cobra) Even in the latest edition, there is a lot of disagreement between these two tables to include vehicles of the same name (ex. "Semi") being assigned different Strengths between tables. (Morogan)

p.224 (old p.172): Cost for Car should be 8. (Flying Cobra) [Fixed in latest hardback. (Morogan)]

p.233 (old p.181): Ability cost for Robot should be -24. (Flying Cobra) [Fixed. (JDRook)]

p.233 (old p.181): Giant Robot Parry and Dodge should be -8, not -5. (Flying Cobra) [Fixed in latest hardback. (Morogan)]

p.247 In the revised DM Screen for 3rd Edition, it says that to Escape grabs, one can use Athletics or Sleight of Hand, instead of Acrobatics or Athletics. (StoriTellar)

p.268 (old p.216): "Bystander" mislabeled "Uh-Huh" (Shadowchaser) [Fixed. (JDRook)]
FuzzyBoots

Deluxe Hero's Handbook QCQ

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Page 96: Stealth skill bonus exceeds power level limits. Rolling Awakened and Predator in combination with Avian or Arthropod produces a total skill bonus that is too high. Additionally Pachyderm in combination with awakened and Dominating or predator produces an athletics bonus that is too high.