AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (IC) - Night at the Museums

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

Re: AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (IC) - Tripping thru the Nexus

Post by Arkrite »

Harry "The Shield" Mackenzie
HP: 0 Condition: Normal

"We appear to be trapped," Harry notes mildly.

"I'm assuming this is some kind of puzzle related to the books we started with. But without knowing what that last books is about the only thing I can suggest is returning all the books to the shelves in their right locations and hoping that's the key to escaping this," He says.
Sakuro

Re: AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (IC) - Tripping the Nexus

Post by Sakuro »

Evelyn "Bulwark" Gracen
HP: 1
Cnd: Healthy

As they try fruitlessly to make their exit, Evelyn settles into a tense, quiet, frustration. Her brow creased and jaw set. The Canadian Shield shared his thoughts on their situation, at which point Evelyn raised a hand to signal the group to halt their pointless wondering. She remains silent for a moment before nodding at Zyzzak then Harry.

"It is worth a try. Zyzzak, take a look over the library's organization system and see if you can find out where the books belong .. or anything else of note. We're missing something. Give him a hand Shield."
OOC wrote:Evelyn's bonus to Presence and Investigate are so low I am not going to bother rolling. Zyzzak, however, has a +16 to Investigate. Shield has some good Investigation too, and could Aid him.

Presence, Madame Macabre was our best option.

Metal Control wrote: [20] - Protection 10 [Flaws: Sustained Duration (+0/r), Quirk "Requires Adequate Quantity of Metal to Act As Armor" (-1 pp) ; Extras: Impervious 11]
[10] - Str Based Damage 11 [Flaws: Quirk "Requires Metal" (-1 pp) ; Extras: Variable Descriptor "Metal Weaponry" 1]
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Harry explains what little he knows of earth based library systems, and keeps an eye out as they attempt to return the books.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Zyzzak
HP:1 LP:0 CND:
Senses: Radio Sense, Darkvision
EM I/O: X-Ray vision
Pattern Array: Comprehend languages.
Defensive: Deflective field
Wrist Emitters: Cloaking

"Acknowledged." Zyzzak reports before materializing into view.

He trains his external cameras in all directions at once, piping the feed in a rapid expanding sphere of images that his mind quickly assembles. He parses patterns and sequences assembling an outlay of the organizational system to see where the errant books would fit.
Investigation: 1d20+16 30 +5 from Shield is 35.
"Something pithy this way comes."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

"Cool" Luke
HP: 1->0
CND: Ice Cold

"Looks like we either stop and a have a few drinks, so to speak with this place or try to push our way through. Based on the books being out, I'm guessing Medea had a few drinks before getting that indecipherable book. Reminds me of some parties I went to with a couple girls I was dating really. Unless anyone has a better idea, we probably should give the books a quick read until this place is happy. Not like there is any other way out now that doesn't involve a lot of fighting.", remarks Luke.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"I think we need to talk to somebody who might know how this is supposed to work," Harry says, "Barring getting in touch with Seven there's only one other person I know of who might know."

He turns to Madame Macabre, "Do you think you could summon the ghost of the previous owner?"

"Unless there's some kind of guide to this building itself in the library, I'm not sure what else we can do that won't end poorly."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Evelyn "Bulwark" Gracen

After Madame Macabre had a chance to comment on the Canadian Shield's idea, Evelyn gave Luke a frown. She didn't give a negative response, other than her expression. Not immediately at least.

"We are not going to sit around reading Ann Rice novels while Dracula and Medea advance their agendas."

Turning her head she looked at the book shelves, her expression turning thoughtful. Then she looked back to the others.

"The scuba-guy was able to make the Nexus create water for him. Somehow ... hacking it. Like a tech expert might hack a smart house. If we're going to invest time in reading lets look for something that helps us do that. It'll benefit us if something like this happens again."

Evelyn's gave panned over the others, then she broke away to begin her part of the search. As she goes about her search he regularly consults with Madame Macabre on her findings. She does this over the coms so that the others may hear as well.

OOC wrote: Here is an Investigate check: Investigate: 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2
Here is a Presence check: Pressence: 1D20+2 = [20]+2 = 22

That actually fits the character. She should suck at investigating and have a meaningful amount of personal presence.
Metal Control wrote: [20] - Protection 10 [Flaws: Sustained Duration (+0/r), Quirk "Requires Adequate Quantity of Metal to Act As Armor" (-1 pp) ; Extras: Impervious 11]
[10] - Str Based Damage 11 [Flaws: Quirk "Requires Metal" (-1 pp) ; Extras: Variable Descriptor "Metal Weaponry" 1]
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

All

Zyzzak is easily able to decipher the indexing to put the books away in their proper place. But it doesn't cause a door to magically appear.

Bulwark is so baffled by the indexing system it looks like pure chaos. There may be a pattern to it, but it's really hard to decipher.
The PRE check acts a Team check to your Investigate rolls. Even with the +5, Bulwark's check doesn't even come close.

Zyzzak's roll gives him a +5 to future checks to find books in the library. If you choose to have him find other people's books, it does add time over them looking for themselves, even with his Quickness.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Zyzzak
Wrist Emitters: Rocket thrusters

After the books are re-shelved and nothing happens. Zyzzak reports the lack of activity.

"I believe I have a functional algorithm for the organizational index structure. Hmm... perhaps this sanctum operates more like a computer program than a consciousness. And programs have user manuals."

"Library, reference section. Operational instructions for this specific institution." Zyzzak requests, already drifting to the section such a manual might be if it existed.
Investigate: 1d20+16 30 35 to find manual.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Madame Macabre

HP: 0
Cnd: Fatigued; Bruised (-1)

Initially, Elizabeth is confused by the immensity of the library and the catalog system. It all seems too overwhelming at first. Then she remembers that the magical tome in her hand was something specifically pulled...perhaps by Medea herself or one of her agents. Flipping the unreadable tome over, she looks at the spine to see Dewey Decimal number at the bottom. Hmmm....now if I can just find this section of the library. There has to be more magical books of this nature that are comprehensible.
OOC: Would Elizabeth need to make another roll to find the section of the library that this book came from or does the last roll still count towards this effort?
Here is her Investigation roll (with the -2 penalty): Investigation Roll: 1d20+3 11.
So, a total of 11. Here is her PRE Check: PRE Check: 1d20+5 17. So, a total of 17.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

All

Elizabeth looks at the code on the mysterious book and its like no Dewey Decimal number she has ever seen. She is able to find some books with general information about the Nexus, however nothing specifically about controlling it.

Zyzzak is able to understand the system quite well and find a book that should explain how to manipulate the Nexus.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Evelyn "Bulwark" Gracen

When Zyzzak comes back with only the one book, Evelyn's face tightened up, muscles clenching under the metal that coated her skin. She let out a slow controlled breath. Then a metal covered hand grabbed a book off the nearby shelf. She didn't even bother to look at the title. Without a word she stalked over to a cha.ir, pulled it out, and settled down into it. All with precise, controlled, movements. Evelyn opened to a random page and began reading
OOC wrote:
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Zyzzak
Wrist Emitters: Rocket thrusters

Zyzzak quickly studies the operational guide to see what is possible.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

"Cool" Luke
CND: Ice Cold

Luke walked over to the spot the Mardi Gra book was dropped and picked it out again. Strolling over to an empty seat, he sat down, kicked his feet up, and dug in. He could fight with the pretty girls family only making her pissed or play nice and get his rewards when they left. Besides, he could use some of the facts to sound smarter than he was. It wasn't like he'd even begin to understand a book on magic or spells.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Madame Macabre

Cnd: Fatigued; Bruised (-1)

Even though Elizabeth could only find books with general knowledge of the Nexus, something was better than nothing. Besides, her knowledge of the Nexus was sub-par for someone who engaged in magic as a profession. She could use the education. Picking out one of the books on the Nexus, she finds a comfortable chair, sits back, and begins to read. The only thing missing was a fire place and a cup of tea or coffee to complete the ambiance.