AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (IC) - Night at the Museums

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenseido

Re: AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (IC) - Tripping the Nexus

Post by kenseido »

Cool Luke

Your thoughts are interrupted by the sound of a six pack of bottle - minus a couple of bottles - getting set down on the table.

"That's a new look for you."

You turn at the familiar voice. Jake is sitting down at the table, holding a beer with a six pack, minus two bottles next to him.

"Hey, bro. I brought beer. What's up?"
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Evelyn "Bulwark" Gracen
HP: 3
Cnd: Fatigued

A questioning look was already on Evelyn's face before she asked the question.

"Jail or worse?"

There was an emphasis on that last word. Her eyes shifted towards to door that Kodiac and the Shield had left through. She stared at it for a couple seconds then rdirected her gaze back to the Director.

"What is the justification for that?"

There was a brief pause. Her eyes dipped down to the holder the Parrish held and had looked through earlier when Harry talked about his history with the Man-Bear.

"Do we have a dossier on him?"

OOC wrote:
Metal Control wrote: [20] - Protection 10 [Flaws: Sustained Duration (+0/r), Quirk "Requires Adequate Quantity of Metal to Act As Armor" (-1 pp) ; Extras: Impervious 11]
[14] - Move Objects 12 [Flaws: Limited to "Metal" (-1/r) ; Extras: Precise (+1 pp), Subtle (+1 pp)]
[06] - Flight 7 [Flaws: Platform (-1/r), Quirk "Requires Metal" (-1 pp)]
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Bulwark
Sakuro wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:11 am A questioning look was already on Evelyn's face before she asked the question.

"Jail or worse?"

There was an emphasis on that last word. Her eyes shifted towards to door that Kodiac and the Shield had left through. She stared at it for a couple seconds then rdirected her gaze back to the Director.

"What is the justification for that?"
Director Parrish lets out a sigh. "He's technically one of the invaders. Public opinion is squarely against him. And the President is a politician who worries about that."
Sakuro wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:11 am There was a brief pause. Her eyes dipped down to the holder the Parrish held and had looked through earlier when Harry talked about his history with the Man-Bear.

"Do we have a dossier on him?"
"Yeah," he says handing Evelyn the folders he is carrying. "He ran him through a similar series of psych tests that we ran all the applicants through. He passed them all. And he offered no resistance when the agents picked him up. But it's your call entirely. You know the score with your team."

The folders contain various psychological writeups and some reports that appear to be from Canadian military regarding some missions he was one thirty years ago.

"If you want, I have a short assignment that I need taken care of. It might be a good opportunity for the two of you to get to know each other better."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Evelyn "Bulwark" Gracen

"Optics."

The woman said the word in a a way that made it seem it left a bad taste in her mouth while also conveying an understanding of the politics that marred decision making. When Director Parrish offered over the folders she extended a hand to accept them.

"Zyzzak is one of the more reliable members of the team. Our only tech expert on top of that. Reassigning him is going to have a significant impact on our performance."

Evelyn's head shook slightly from right left. Her body language following up on the disproval in the decision to tuck there xeno asset away in a dark corner somewhere out of sight. She didn't posture to argue though. Instead she opened the first of the folders and began looking through the documents on Kodiac. Skimming over them as they talked.

"That isn't a bad idea. What are the details on this mission?"

OOC wrote:
Metal Control wrote: [20] - Protection 10 [Flaws: Sustained Duration (+0/r), Quirk "Requires Adequate Quantity of Metal to Act As Armor" (-1 pp) ; Extras: Impervious 11]
[14] - Move Objects 12 [Flaws: Limited to "Metal" (-1/r) ; Extras: Precise (+1 pp), Subtle (+1 pp)]
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

There's a polite knock on the office door. When bidden to enter it opens straight away.

"Pardon, I had an e-mail waiting for me outlining the situation and my reassignment. When security monitors captured you two coming in here I deduced the nature of your conversation." The tall, spindly alien says. "I look forward to the opportunity to work on recovered alien technologies at Area 51." Zyzzak says.

"I'd prefer not to have a send-off. I'm terrible with Good Byes. Please tell the others... "I'll see you all in the Sequel'." the cinephile smiles through the clear viewing port over his face.

"I'm ready to go Director Parrish. I assume a crew will move my environmental pod?" he refers to the 7x6 cell of pressurized, environmentally-sealed duraglass filled with a methane-rich atmosphere much like in Zyzzak's suit so he can exit to make external repairs in comfort and safety. The tiny cell was crowded with tools, his food-supply canisters, and a cramped sleeping space but it was all contained and easy enough for a crew to relocate.

Zyzzak looks to Senior Agent Gracen. "Best of luck to you, Ma'am." He clasps a six-fingered fist to his chest plate and bows. "Never give up. Never surrender."

He steps backwards out the door to withdraw.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Kodiac

kenseido wrote: Kodaik

Harry pats Kodiak on the shoulder as you leave the others behind.

"Not so much drill, but Captain Gracen is a pretty solid soldier. Strong leader and very fair."

"Thats good, so nothing like that bore war you always talked about."
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Madame Macabre

HP: 1
XP: 3 pp
Cnd: Normal

Elizabeth sipped her tea and nibbled on her lemon bar while listening to the magician speak. After a break in the wizard's description of what happened, Elizabeth sits her cup down and clears her throat. "So, the original call from the Nexus was for you? And you 'deflected' it -so to speak- to me? Very interesting."

The pale young woman pauses, taking in the information and trying to make sense of it. "I am curious why you didn't answer the call. I assume you didn't realize how serious the problem was? Anyway, I suppose it all worked out in the end....thank goodness."

"Oh, there is one more thing. I keep hearing that I'm now 'popular'. Maybe I'm overreacting, but that makes me...well....nervous. Are you telling me this because I can expect trouble from this new found fame?"
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Madame Macabre
Supernaturalist wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:58 am Elizabeth sipped her tea and nibbled on her lemon bar while listening to the magician speak. After a break in the wizard's description of what happened, Elizabeth sits her cup down and clears her throat. "So, the original call from the Nexus was for you? And you 'deflected' it -so to speak- to me? Very interesting."
The lemon bar is really, really good. "I didn't choose you. Just luck of the draw. You were the closest, so it zeroed in on you."
Supernaturalist wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:58 amThe pale young woman pauses, taking in the information and trying to make sense of it. "I am curious why you didn't answer the call. I assume you didn't realize how serious the problem was? Anyway, I suppose it all worked out in the end....thank goodness."
"I don't answer summons. Especially not when I am in the middle of something important."
Supernaturalist wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:58 am"Oh, there is one more thing. I keep hearing that I'm now 'popular'. Maybe I'm overreacting, but that makes me...well....nervous. Are you telling me this because I can expect trouble from this new found fame?"
"The magical community has been in a bit of an uproar since Una made her big move." He pauses looking at her confusing.

"Oh, right. So, recently Una tricked the the Master Mage into a confrontation. She sprung a trap on him and killed him." He pauses to take a sip of tea and take a bite of his own lemon bar.

"The magical community kind of freaked. They joined together and made a massive attack against Una. Unfortunately, that was also a trap. She wiped out pretty much all the top tier mages. Seven went on a sort of rampage and took Una out." He sighs and looks grim.

"But it was also a trap, of sorts. The Netherworld needs a Master Mage to hold it together, unlike our universe. So, she had to take control of the place, or the millions of denizens would have died. Unfortunately, the Netherworld has a corrupting effect on people. And she is carrying the whole weight of it. She is trying to undo the corruption, but it's not going to be easy. And she may not be strong enough to do it before the corruption overtakes her."

"Shame really; she's a good kid."

"But our universe has no Master Mage. And there are a lot of mid-tier mages gunning for the job. And now that people will start to see what you did back then, you are going to be popular - either as a rival or a supporter."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kodiak
Gilliam wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:43 am "Thats good, so nothing like that bore war you always talked about."
Harry chuckles. "No, not like him at all. Captain Gracen is definitely one of the good ones."
Unless there are specific details you want to know, just assume Harry gives you a rundown of the entire team from a very optimistic viewpoint. We'll move this scene on to the next part when Bulwark is properly briefed.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Bulwark

Director Powers hands over his remaining folder.

"Basic kidnapping. Ex-AEGIS agent kidnapped his ex-wife and kid. He and a few buddies have been to Circuits Maximus and got powered up. Craig has the super-strength package, Donny has the Zoom package, and Jesse got the feral package."

"They are up in Maryland, in Squad 1 territory, but I want this on the downlow. With the press still following them everywhere, I would like you to go in. I don't need an incident of an AEGIS officer gone bad in the press right now. And this seems like a good opportunity to try out Kodiak and see if you think you can work with him."

Circuits Maximus is an organization that sells super-powers to people. It is very expensive and only works about half the time. The super-strength packages increase strength and resistance to injury to just into super-human ranges. The Zoom package grants enhanced speed. The feral package grants enhanced animal like qualities, enhanced speed and strength - though usually still in normal human ranges, enhanced sense, and usually claws and sharp teeth.

It would take 3 normal AEGIS squads with the right tactics to take a group this size down, and it would get messy. So, this should be doable by Evelyn herself, even if Kodiak was to be a complete dud - which the files suggest isn't the case.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

"Cool" Luke
CND: Ice Cold

If Luke was looking for a distraction, he got one. Not in the tight fitting clothes fiesty black haired beauty down in the big easy for a good time, but a distraction was a distraction. "Perfect timing. Just when I was planning to head out. That six pack looks two short. Last I checked, there was a place with some good blues, great gumbo, and some beers to refill those two spots.", says Luke. He wasn't at the headquarters or part of Aegis to be clean up staff. The chores would get done, somehow.

"This place tends to get magical doors that go back to world ending events. So, not the best place to have a chat. Besides, who could say no when blues and gumbo are calling?", says Luke in his smooth manner. He was already readying to abandon his punishment, which he was was going to do anyway. Jake popping up just hurried it along.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Cool Luke

Jake's face takes on a sour look as Luke begins guiding the exchange outside.

"No, no, no," he says, waving it off. "This is my first time here. You gotta give me the full tour."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Evelyn "Bulwark" Gracen

Hearing the knock at the office door Evelyn paused in her reading and pressed a button on her desk. The intercom to the side of the door was activated in the process.

"I am currently in a meeting. Please wait."

Her hand moved away from the desk. She noticed the new folder being offered up to her. The set she was currently holding is set down on her desk before she extended a hand to collect the new one. While Parrish spoke she looked between him and the documents in her hand. After Parrish finished Evelyn remained quiet a while, finishing the review of mission relevant information. The file closed and she gestured to the packet on Kodiac.

"I'm seeing indicators that suggest potential problems with control ... and while the Shield's stories imply Kodiac may have something approximating commando training ... he's a eight foot tall anthropomorphic bear. Tactically, we can handle the operation. That said, you'll need to moderate your expectations for keeping this mission quiet."

OOC wrote:If you don't mind, Evelyn would hold off on bringing Zyzzak in until after the mission briefing, itself, has concluded. Zyzzak can join in once that is squared away.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Bulwark

"The location is out in the middle of nowhere, so you can afford to be loud in that regard."
I am fairly certain that is Flyn's only post regarding the matter, so it can happen whenever.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

"Cool" Luke
CND: Ice Cold

Luke rolled his eyes a bit. "Show you around the headquarters of an Aegis base? You've had more than two of those beers. What do you think our sisters and brother would say to that? Whats your angle here? You know I'd do anything for you and have, but just give you a grand tour of this place so you can scope it out for whatever is a little much. Did Linda, Chelsea, or Max put you up to this to test me?", asks Luke. The base was the last place he wanted to be right now. Even if there wasn't basic security concerns, Luke wouldn't have wanted to stick around.