AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (OOC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Tattooedman

Re: AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (OOC)

Post by Tattooedman »

Sakuro wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:44 am Alongside the basic security bump put forth by Arkite, I'd like to suggest we work on the anti-teleport (3 EP), magical security (1 EP per rank), and anti-scrying measures (2 EP) as a priority.
I agree.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

How about this for the base upgrade:
* Tech. Security +1
* Personnel
* Magic Security
* Concealment 1 (Radio, Selective)
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Sounds good to me. Luke would go along with the groups consensus on this.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Elizabeth would agree to those security upgrades as well.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

My only concern with the base is that Security is DC20 to overcome which is ludicrously easy. Maybe we can direct more toward that Feature in the future if we want it to be an obstacle to our foes?
"Something pithy this way comes."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

For the record, that is almost never going to come up. If bad guys need to invade the base for the story, they just will. It's "equipment" so I don't even have to give an HP for it, but will.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

So, from what I'm hearing, there is really no reason to invest in any defensive features?
Because either nobody will encounter it, or they'll automatically get around it anyways.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Well, things like the Concealment and such will have an effect. Blocking radio or scrying will affect how villains respond. For example, had you turned on the radio concealment when you left instead of when you got back, you would have caught several members flat footed because they couldn't be warned you were coming back early.

But the 1pt features are for dealing with minion level threats. Keeping the local street gang or demon cult out of your base. Even your PL 7-8 jobber villains will be affected.

But for actual main stories, if the plot depends on them getting in, they will get in as long as it is reasonable for them to do so with enough effort. For example, without their technopath, the Horde would be hard pressed to get past a DC 20 security system. They would have to make other plans.

So while spending an extra EP or two to increase the security will help, there is no amount of points you can spend that will make it impenetrable.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

My concern wasn't really in making impenetrable, especially not for free. That would be ridiculous.
It just sounded that our choices weren't going to make any difference to how things played out.
As though investing heavily in the security system would be pointless as they'd be able to just bypass it anyways as needed.

If the difference is that the enemies now how to come up with an alternate method for getting in because now bypassing the security system the normal way is much more difficult? But they'll still get in?
That sounds good to me.

I know at the end of the day these things are largely figured out ahead of time, but it can be a little frustrating when it feels like you're making choices which don't impact the events of the game.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

I can't say it will never come up. I don't have any story ideas of villains taking over your HQ, or even getting inside. I might run an interlude where a few of you need to defend the base while others are away and the security system would have an effect.

Let me explain my experiences so you can hopefully avoid my mistake. I was a techie in a game and the mansion got breached a lot. Every time my character took it personally. I think by the end I had dumped 10 or so actual PP into powers and upgraded security system to defend the place. And it never made a difference. I think in the end it was DC50 to bypass the security system.

What I don't want is for you all to spend points and effort for it to have no effect on the game. I will definitely try to incorporate things, but as I said, if a story is dependent on someone getting inside the base, it will happen. Somehow.

But that goes both ways. If a story is dependent on you passing a check, failing won't break you. An example I can give is when Zyzzak was examining the device to determine the location of the bunker. Failing wouldn't have meant not finding it, it would have just taken longer. The team would have arrived at a different stage of the evacuation.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

It was probably a mistake to start this story right before the holidays. If people are stressed more, I understand.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I'll be around. Not much family visiting going on with Covid flairing up again.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

mrdent12 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:08 amI'll be around. Not much family visiting going on with Covid flairing up again.
I am not going to not respond to posts, but I am also not going to push. Even without traveling, holidays can be stressful at work or at home. Some people de-stress with the game and I will be here for them. Others need slow down, and I will keep the game from moving too far for them.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

I'll be traveling, but I'll still have access to a PC. In fact, there's less to do when I visit my relatives, so I actually have *more* time than normal to post. :D
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Yeah, those relatives are so boring.