AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (OOC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenseido

Re: AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (OOC)

Post by kenseido »

It is +1/rank, but you could reduce it to +0 with Extended Only. This option eliminates the ability to add Easy.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

kenseido wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:26 pm It is +1/rank, but you could reduce it to +0 with Extended Only. This option eliminates the ability to add Easy.
Ok that's getting into the ballpark of what Elizabeth would want to do. A very long range teleport to only one specific location without all the bells-and-whistles (a.k.a. Extras). I wont be home until very late tonight. I'll be able to look at my rule book then, but if this kind of ritual mass-teleport is reasonable in terms of time-preparation and success, then Elizabeth will propose it. If it's not feasible, then maybe she can trim down some of the costs in time and difficulty by making the teleportation-circle only capable of teleporting one individual at a time. That's not ideal, but it might be necessary to make it work.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

That's fine, but remember, I am not keen on Limitations that don't limit. If the Limitation doesn't limit this specific use of the power, then it's not allowed. So, single destination is not an acceptable limitation for the ritual or power stunt.
Supernaturalist

I'm not sure if people are waiting on me to do something. I guess I'm not sure what would be an acceptable, yet viable construction of a ritual teleport power in this situation. Would limiting the usage of the ritual for the scene count? In other words if the teleportation ritual only brought people to New Orleans once, but could not bring them back to Atlanta, would that count? Would I have to limit the number of people it could bring? Incorporate a flaw where the ritual could possibly teleport people to a safe, yet distant location from the museum where they would then be forced to move (under their own power) to the fight?
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Ritual, Invention, and Artificer are one use only. You can spend an HP to use them a second time.

From a rules standpoint, I can only see it working one way. Madame Macabre is stationed in one of the museums in Atlanta. At the needed time, she uses her personal teleport to move to the second museum, then again to the third with a passenger. Then she uses the ritual fuelded teleport to move the three of them to New Orleans.

I am not saying this is the only way; it's just the only one I can see at the moment.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

I was giving you time to sort out the teleport mechanics.

My suggestion: Power Stunts an Extended Range Only Teleport. Make magical items that boost the teleport (add +1 tacking rank to teleport, add ranks of Increased Mass Extra) for each of the people being teleported wear and spread PP among those items. More items. Lower DC. Then we do as Kensiedo proposed, with Macabre and two other people at the Atlanta museums. Kodiak and Bulwark can be in New Orleans. Not having to teleport Kodiak will save you a rank of Increased Mass.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Depending on how many points in the ritual or magic items, it will eat up a certain amount of Madame Macabre's time to craft them. This could restrict her ability to go to New Orleans ahead of time.

Items take 1 hour per point to design and 4 hours per point to construct. Each stage requires a DC10 + points check in Expertise: Magic.

The first check is supposed to be secret, but I try not to handicap players with my bad rolls. But you do need to spend all of the time (5 hours per point) even if the first check fails since you technically wouldn't know until it's finished.
Supernaturalist

Thank you for all the ideas. Another question: If Elizabeth wants to quickly get to New Orleans to prepare a ritual circle there, would it be possible to power stunt her Teleport to something like a rank 6; Extended (60 miles) and have that power long enough to use it repeatedly until she reaches New Orleans? I'm not sure what would be considered the duration of the power stunt in that case.

This would allow her to get there, identify a safe location for the ritual-circle, construct it, and then return back to Atlanta in time to work on the magic items.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Power stunts would need to be Concentration duration or longer to maintain longer than one round.

All Elizabeth needs is a live image and general idea of where she is teleporting to for proper targeting. One of the heroes in New Orleans could have their smart phone with Facetime open.

Edit: Changed from Sustained to Concentration.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Without Investigation skill, you really can't do much with the videos, especially with the sheer quantity of video and the amount of time you have to review them. There is a week worth of videos from 3 museums to review in just over 2 days.

If you were looking for specific faces, maybe there would be a chance, but only a small one. Looking for people casing the place involves looking for certain patterns of behavior - on fast forward. It's not even something specific that they could tell others to look for.

Only Cody and Madame Macabre have Investigation, and the latter will be occupied with other tasks.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

So could Cody look over the footage as a routine task? If so, his mental quickness of 8 kicks in making it an hour for a week of video.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

I don't strictly follow that aspect of Quickness. It doesn't only apply in routine tasks.

Mental Quickness will allow him to eliminate the penalty for having to watch the video on fast forward.
Supernaturalist

Ok, I'm eager to post for Elizabeth (because I feel like I'm holding people up trying to figure this out). My proposal will be along the lines which kenseido and Sakuro suggested. Namely, suggesting that Kodiak and one other (probably Bulwark) be in New Orleans ahead of time. Three teammates remain behind to cover the museums until the villains reveal themselves in some manner. When/if it becomes clear that the Atlanta-team is needed in New Orleans, Elizabeth will 'port to a second museum to pick up a teammate before 'porting to the final museum where pre-made magical items created via ritual are made available for use in the long-range teleportation spell.

Please correct me if my thinking is wrong. I'll power stunt my Teleport power to this Teleport 9 (2 miles) [Extended (500 miles); Extended Only; Increased Mass 1 (100 lbs.)]. That still leaves me needing to get 2 more ranks of Increased Mass (up to 400 lbs.). I can use a ritual to create the objects and give them to my two teammates just prior to initiating the power stunt. Would that work? I just want to make sure the mechanics are clear before I post IC.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Yes, that stunt and use of Artificer is acceptable. It will take 10 hours and 2 DC12 Magic skill checks.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

While the roll makes no difference in this case, this is not a use of Investigation that I allow to be performed untrained. Only general Searching is allowed untrained.

I do need to know what everyone is doing over the next two days. If you choose to go to the museum in New Orleans, that will most likely need to the played out.