ICONS

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Darrin Kelley

ICONS

Post by Darrin Kelley »

In addition to buying every official Green Ronin book put out for M&M, I have been following and supporting just about every book with rules for ICONS that has been put out.

My story with Icons started about a year after my last superhero campaign fell apart. I suffered extreme system burnout and was looking for something new. A different approach.

After dabbling with Fate Core and Fate Accelerated, I just took a break and floundered for a bit.

A friend on Seconde Life was running an Icons game and invited me. So I joined, and had fun. So I bought into the game myself. And am happy with it.

Just to clarify. It was not M&M that supported the campaign that fell apart. It was a different system entirely.
Batgirl III

Re: ICONS

Post by Batgirl III »

I read the first edition of the Icons game, solely because Steve Kenson’s name was on the cover. Given his track record with Silver Age Sentinels, Mutants & Masterminds, and Freedom City, and DC Adventures I had high expectations... and he met them.

I wasn’t quite willing to give up M&M3e for it, but it was definitely a good game. I haven’t checked out the “Assembled Edition,” but I have every reason to expect it to be quite good.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Darrin Kelley

Re: ICONS

Post by Darrin Kelley »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:46 am I read the first edition of the Icons game, solely because Steve Kenson’s name was on the cover. Given his track record with Silver Age Sentinels, Mutants & Masterminds, and Freedom City, and DC Adventures I had high expectations... and he met them.

I wasn’t quite willing to give up M&M3e for it, but it was definitely a good game. I haven’t checked out the “Assembled Edition,” but I have every reason to expect it to be quite good.
I joined ICONS with the Assembled Edition. The rulebook is solid. Very good. It combines a lot from the prior edition into one volume.

That said. I bought just about every rules expansion for the game in hardcover. Plus the two villains books, Antagonists and Rogues.

ICONS is definitely its own thing. It's not a spinoff from M&M. It has its own characters and loose setting.