The Dork Knight Returns

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
Batgirl III

The Dork Knight Returns

Post by Batgirl III »

So... Where the hell have I been?

Long story made short, for the last several years I had been working very closely with the Indonesian Sea and Coast Guard and Indonesian Navy on some joint operations and prosecutions. Things were wrapping up nicely, most of the really bad guys were convicted and sent to prison, the not-so-bad bad guys were plead out on lesser charges or given other appropriate punishments. All that was left was the paperwork.

I had already put in my papers to retire after twenty years service with the USCG and CGIS, I bought myself a large sailboat, found a nice marina in Jakarta, and flew my spouse and daughters into the country. The plan was simple: I retire, we board the boat, and we sail back to the United States.

I was supposed to retire in December of 2019.

Then someone up in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, People’s Republic of China decided to eat an undercooked bat.

The CGIS put my retirement on an indefinite hold, my family wasn’t allowed to leave Indonesia, and we spent the next several months going stir crazy. Eventually, the plague restrictions were relaxed and my retirement finally became reality. We got the @&$# out of Indonesia as fast as we could... Lovely country, but my family had now been there for over a year instead of the one month we planned.

We sailed from Jakarta to Brisbane, spent an infuriatingly long time dealing with the Australian government, sold the boat at a loss, and flew back to the United States.

We’re here again, we’ve found a house to live in, and my kids are back in school (sort of).

TL;DR: 2020 no sucked.

But, umm, I’m back now.

Huzzah.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ken

Re: The Dork Knight Returns

Post by Ken »

Welcome back. You've been missed.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Welcome back. Thank you for giving me a permission to post the RTP characters. Let me know if you need anything else recovered from the RA boards.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Welcome back Batgirl! We'd wondered what had happened to you. I'm sorry it sounds like you had a rough couple of years, but I'm relieved you made it back home and sound like you're stable-ish right now. In any case, glad to have you back.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Wow, holy hell. Good to see you again, BG!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Also, in case you missed it, we have a Discord now.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I'll just quote a Song here to show how much i missed my friend....
"If i could save time in a bottle
The first thing that i'd like to do
Is to save every day
Till Eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you...
"

Welcome home BG. :D
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It was really just January through May that were the rough bits, since there was no reasonable way to plan ahead for anything since we were dealing with constantly changing conditions... and even at the best of times, dealing with the Indonesian immigration system can be Kafkaesque.

I was really looking forward to sailing across the ocean, but suddenly my kids aren’t interested in spending months on end living aboard a boat. Go fig.

Now we’re thinking that instead of spending a year sailing across the Pacific, we might get a trawler or downeast motor yacht and doing the Great Loop. The oldest Young Ward will be in high school next year, the youngest in junior high... So in another six or seven years, they’ll both be off to college. Then we can just bum around the Great Loop until we get too old.

The Great Loop involves sailing from southern Florida up along the intercoastal waterway to New York; then up the Hudson River to the Eerie Canal; across the Great Lakes into Chicago; then down the mighty Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico... and then you hop across the gulf to southern Florida. Depending on how hard you want to push yourself, it can be done in only a few months, but most people opt for a more leisurely pace and will take a full year to do a loop.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Welcome back.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Shock

Post by Shock »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:03 am
Now we’re thinking that instead of spending a year sailing across the Pacific, we might get a trawler or downeast motor yacht and doing the Great Loop. The oldest Young Ward will be in high school next year, the youngest in junior high... So in another six or seven years, they’ll both be off to college. Then we can just bum around the Great Loop until we get too old.

The Great Loop involves sailing from southern Florida up along the intercoastal waterway to New York; then up the Hudson River to the Eerie Canal; across the Great Lakes into Chicago; then down the mighty Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico... and then you hop across the gulf to southern Florida. Depending on how hard you want to push yourself, it can be done in only a few months, but most people opt for a more leisurely pace and will take a full year to do a loop.
Sounds like a good start to enjoying retirement. Good for you
scc

Post by scc »

Welcome back!
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Shuts off the bat-signal. Welcome back. Gotham needs you.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Ken

Post by Ken »

I was afraid you'd been hurt in a riot, or shot by the Joker, or something. I'm glad I was wrong.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Thank you for letting us all know where you were and what has been going on with you. I knew you were kicking butt undercover somewhere as Batgirl!

I am glad you and your family are now back safe in the USA!

I missed you.

Welcome home!